Not Enough Evidence to Prove or deny his Existence12%12% - 38
No, he's a myth, but God does exist0%0% - 0
No, he's a myth and God doesn't exist8%8% - 27
Jesus Christ, Another Religious Thread?11%11% - 34
Total: 303
sergeriver
Cowboy from Hell
+1,928|6759|Argentina
So, did he exist?  What was Jesus?  What do you think about him?
I personally think there's not enough evidence to prove or deny his existence.  If he did exist he was a regular guy, not the son of God, IMO of course.  Please, offer historical proof if you know about this.  Many people believe he's the son of God, and they have their right to do so.  And many people believe he did not exist at all.  Don't start a flaming war over this thread.

Last edited by sergeriver (2007-07-10 10:58:00)

OrangeHound
Busy doing highfalutin adminy stuff ...
+1,335|6651|Washington DC

In terms of historical analysis, one would have to experience a bit of delusion to deny that Jesus existed in history.

I think the debate about whether or not Jesus is deity is much more the issue.
Ryan
+1,230|6845|Alberta, Canada

Why do you guys care so much about Jesus?
Mitch
16 more years
+877|6527|South Florida

sergeriver wrote:

I dont know, but what i do know, is if he did exist, he was an ordinary man, who had no powers, because magical powers dont exist in the real world.
15 more years! 15 more years!
ATG
Banned
+5,233|6531|Global Command
Conjecture.

The trouble with religious debates is that they cannot be anything other than opinion.

There is no proof, hence there may be no point.
OrangeHound

Ryan wrote:

Why do you guys care so much about Jesus?
Because he is among a handful of figures whose message has shaped so much of history and today's world.
OrangeHound

ATG wrote:

Conjecture.

The trouble with religious debates is that they cannot be anything other than opinion.

There is substantial historical proof for Jesus.
buLLet_t00th
Mr. Boombastic
+178|6444|Stealth City, UK
What I want to know (if Jesus did exist) is why 'God' sent him down 2000 years ago when, to be honest, not much was going on.

Now though there is a load of shit going on in the world (and 50 years ago with the holocaust) and where's Jesus?
russ)=spetsnaz
Banned
+131|6457|the guy in the hind on gator

Mitch wrote:

sergeriver wrote:

I dont know, but what i do know, is if he did exist, he was an ordinary man, who had no powers, because magical powers dont exist in the real world.
just because you never saw any magical powers doesnt mean they dont exist. but yes there is no such thing as magic. jesus didnt do what he did with magic or powers.

Last edited by russ)=spetsnaz (2007-07-10 10:58:33)

Yaocelotl
:D
+221|6651|Keyboard

ATG wrote:

Conjecture.

QFT, until there is no proof everything will remain as a mere speculation.
RedTwizzler
I do it for the lulz.
+124|6539|Chicago
As OrangeHound said, there's a lot of historical evidence that suggests that Jesus did walk the Earth. Whether or not he was a diety is another debate. I say he was not, as I'm an athiest and all.
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6633|949

OrangeHound wrote:

ATG wrote:

Conjecture.

Historical proof is not there.  Only stories written after his (supposed) life and death.

Last edited by KEN-JENNINGS (2007-07-10 10:59:28)

russ)=spetsnaz
Banned
+131|6457|the guy in the hind on gator
A lot of events that happened in the bible are being proven today. like noahs ark being found.(if it is the real one)
OrangeHound

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

OrangeHound wrote:

ATG wrote:

Conjecture.

Historical proof is not there.  Only stories written after his (supposed) life and death.
I'm not talking about the Bible ... I'm talking about secular works.  Do you want me to list some?

Edit -- actually, I've already answered you before in another post on this same subject:
http://forums.bf2s.com/viewtopic.php?pi … 4#p1316864

I don't know why you continue to promote your view when there are ample historical sources.  I'm debating upon fact and not prejudice or opinion.
XeromeXWarrior
XeromeX = Zero-Sex?
+8|6140
Yes he is the son of God (imo)
sergeriver
Cowboy from Hell
+1,928|6759|Argentina

OrangeHound wrote:

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

OrangeHound wrote:

I'm not talking about the Bible ... I'm talking about secular works.  Do you want me to list some?
Yes, please, coz I don't know much about historical evidence, beyond what I learned from Discovery Channel and that stuff.
jord
+2,382|6680|The North, beyond the wall.
Nobody knows.
M.O.A.B
'Light 'em up!'
+1,220|6224|Escea

He might have been a real guy, the rest is mumbo jumbo though.
ATG
Banned
+5,233|6531|Global Command

OrangeHound wrote:

ATG wrote:

Conjecture.

Absolutely.

But as to everything else, there is no proof of anything.

btw, I am a Craft leaning ex Mormon. I absolutely believe Jesus existed.
usmarine
Banned
+2,785|6763

Jesus..I like him very much.  But he no help me hit curveball.
OrangeHound

sergeriver wrote:

OrangeHound wrote:

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

Yes, please, coz I don't know much about historical evidence, beyond what I learned from Discovery Channel and that stuff.
(I actually answered Jennings on this topic previously)

http://forums.bf2s.com/viewtopic.php?pi … 4#p1316864

OrangeHound wrote:

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

doublestuforeo wrote:

I am a Christian.  I will not speak for other religions, but I will say this:

The existance of the man, Jesus of Nazareth, is as close to fact as anything else in our history books.  Hundreds of people close to his life, many of which were eyewitnesses to his life, wrote of him.
This does not prove that he is the Son of God.  However, if not, he was a con man the likes of which we have seldom seen.
Wrong.  Find me one account of anyone writing about him that saw, touched, or heard his voice.
Quoting from FF Bruce:  "Some may toy with the fancy of a Christ-myth, but they do not do so on the ground of historical evidence.  The historicity of Christ is as axiomatic for an unbiased historian as the historicity of Julius Ceaser.  It is not historians who propagate the "Christ-myth' theories."

Most of the eye-witnesses became Christians, and their writings are part of the Bible or apocryphal works.  However, let's set aside the Christians for a moment ... there are first century Jewish & Roman (non-Christian) historians of the time who describe Jesus of Nazareth, including:
  • Cornelius Tacitus, Roman historian
  • Flavius Josephus, Jewish historian
  • The Jewish Talmuds (see page 53)
  • Phlegon, historian
  • Thallus, Samaritan historian

Of course, there will always be many with either ignorance or agendas who will continue to propagate the idea that a historical Jesus never existed, just as there are those who propagate the lie that the Jewish Holocaust didn't happen.
topal63
. . .
+533|6720

OrangeHound wrote:

... one would have to experience a bit of delusion to deny that Jesus existed in history.
I guess I am deluded. You are so much more knowledgeable than I.

Hey gee me too!
http://forums.bf2s.com/viewtopic.php?pi … 3#p1317493

Bertster7 wrote:

OrangeHound wrote:

Quoting from FF Bruce:  "Some may toy with the fancy of a Christ-myth, but they do not do so on the ground of historical evidence.  The historicity of Christ is as axiomatic for an unbiased historian as the historicity of Julius Ceaser.  It is not historians who propagate the "Christ-myth' theories."

Most of the eye-witnesses became Christians, and their writings are part of the Bible or apocryphal works.  However, let's set aside the Christians for a moment ... there are first century Jewish & Roman (non-Christian) historians of the time who describe Jesus of Nazareth, including:
  • Cornelius Tacitus, Roman historian
  • Flavius Josephus, Jewish historian
  • The Jewish Talmuds (see page 53)
  • Phlegon, historian
  • Thallus, Samaritan historian

Of course, there will always be many with either ignorance or agendas who will continue to propagate the idea that a historical Jesus never existed, just as there are those who propagate the lie that the Jewish Holocaust didn't happen.
Of those historians the only one I am familiar with is Tacitus. Who was born after Jesus died. He therefore did not see him, touch him, or hear his voice.

That does little to convince me that your other sources are people who had actually had contact with Jesus.
(although I do think he did exist)
LOL - the entire list is evidence that no-one ever actually saw anyone...

1.) Hearasy after the fact... does not describe anyone; it only suggest 2nd hand knowledge of the existence of a cult; and is a potential forgery.
2.) Hearsay, after the fact, 2nd hand account, definite forgery (IMO).
3.) FALSE claim - the Talmud refers to a Jewish Name, not any specific Christ character.
4.) FASLE claim - Phlegon descirbes nothing, but a an astrological-event important to all Greek cults; an eclipse; no Jesus here.
5.) Same thing as 4 more or less.

(I have no reason or fact whatsoever to think Jesus ever existed).

Last edited by topal63 (2007-07-10 11:11:33)

murdock22
+4|6623
he was a normal guy, i think it is something along the lines of what family guy thought of him http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xTCp0T5ocy8
OrangeHound

topal63 wrote:

OrangeHound wrote:

... one would have to experience a bit of delusion to deny that Jesus existed in history.
I guess I am deluded. You are so much more knowledgeable than I.

Hey gee me too!
http://forums.bf2s.com/viewtopic.php?pi … 3#p1317493

Bertster7 wrote:

Of those historians the only one I am familiar with is Tacitus. Who was born after Jesus died. He therefore did not see him, touch him, or hear his voice.

That does little to convince me that your other sources are people who had actually had contact with Jesus.
(although I do think he did exist)
LOL - the entire list is evidence that no-one ever actually saw anyone...

1.) Hearasy after the fact... does not describe anyone; it only suggest 2nd hand knowledge of the existence of a cult; and is a potential forgery.
2.) Hearsay, after the fact, 2nd hand account, definite forgery (IMO).
3.) FALSE claim - the Talmud refers to a Jewish Name, not any specific Christ character.
4.) FASLE claim - Phlegon descirbes nothing, but a an astrological-event important to all Greek cults; an eclipse; no Jesus here.
5.) Same thing as 4 more or less.

(I have no reason or fact whatsoever to think Jesus ever existed).
I acknowledge that there is antagonism toward this subject, but it is not based upon rational evaluation applied by historians.  If one wishes to discount all historians of that period just because historians of that period disagree with one's contemporary opinion about a particular person then what grounds of debate exist?   What basis of historical evaluation are we left with?

Dismissing every record because one believes it to be "hearsay", "false claim", "forgery", etc. is just simply an amateur tactic.   If such opinion is introduced into historical records then nothing of history can be agreed upon, and all history devolves into pointless fiction.

Remember, I did not introduce a debate about the deity of Jesus ... just simply whether or not a particular historical figure existed.  All the criteria upon which historians validate the existence of an individual is satisfied by the historical records of the time period, and I'm not aware of any movement by historians which disagrees with the existence of a historical Jesus (even by the Christ opponents).

So, if anyone would like to sabotage the way that historians validate history ... then be prepared for all of history to be rewritten based upon contemporary agendas.
^*AlphA*^
F*ckers
+3,135|6740|The Hague, Netherlands

he probably did, as a normal person who just had followers and then died like all normal people before and after him.
https://bf3s.com/sigs/36eac2cb6af70a43508fd8d1c93d3201f4e23435.png

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard