Ryan
+1,230|6845|Alberta, Canada

Maybe just end background processes, see if that helps.
steelie34
pub hero!
+603|6383|the land of bourbon

_MysT1C_Ri|)er_ wrote:

So for me it is having multiple things connected to my router?
it's possible... the only real way to check is to remove all other devices, and see if the connection gets better.  disable wireless as well if you have it.  if you have a router or switch in between your modem and PC, you can also try removing the router completely, and connecting your modem right to your system.  if you router is your modem, then this obviously doesn't apply.
https://bf3s.com/sigs/36e1d9e36ae924048a933db90fb05bb247fe315e.png
Oronisi
+4|6446
It's not your hardware, its your software.  Vista and/or your video and audio drivers are to blame.  I have a better version of all of your hardware, dual boot vista pro and xp pro, and I get 100 fps steady in xp and 100 fps with some performance spikes with worse settings on Vista.

I'm actually inclined to believe it's my audio drivers that are causing my problems, but that is without any real testing.
jdoog
+0|6139
i sorta fixed it by downloading some beta drivers from guru3d for vista, 160.15 or something like that. it minimized my choppiness to like 10-30 seconds in the beginning and is smooth as butter after that.
_j5689_
Dreads & Bergers
+364|6719|Riva, MD

_MysT1C_Ri|)er_ wrote:

Ya I get the same choppy/stuttering in game.  I have all my settings on low except for geometry and effects which are on medium.  My resolution is set on 1024x768@75hertz (same as my desktop).

Inside my computer - 2 gigs of RAM, Nvidia 7600, 2.4 processor, 120 gb hard drive, 350W power supply.  I also have a router that is connected to two other computers (that at the moment aren't being connected to the router), and XBOX Live that is on just as much as my computer is running.

So just as jdoog is asking....why would my stuff still stutter/lag/be all sorters of choppy?
I know from experience that XBox Live is bandwidth hog and for that reason, it does make BF2 lag, so that would probably be it.

On the main topic, may I ask why you have it at 75Hz, 85Hz is the recommended for CRT monitors.  Although I am on a really old computer with an inconfigurable CRT monitor so I have to keep it on 75Hz or it goes off to the left, could that be the same for you?

Last edited by _j5689_ (2007-07-10 11:11:53)

jdoog
+0|6139
75hz is max for my LCD
_j5689_
Dreads & Bergers
+364|6719|Riva, MD

jdoog wrote:

75hz is max for my LCD
Do you use VSync?
jdoog
+0|6139
nope i turned it off
jdoog
+0|6139
any solutions?
Scorpion0x17
can detect anyone's visible post count...
+691|6768|Cambridge (UK)
Strange as this may sound - in bf2 - sound settings - try disabling EAX (if it's enabled) if that doesn't help, drop the sound quality setting down a notch or two.

No body ever thinks that the sound can cause lag spikes, but it can. Particularly if you have EAX enabled.
_j5689_
Dreads & Bergers
+364|6719|Riva, MD
That's probably if you use software sound.  Switch it to hardware if you have a sound card that can do it.
Scorpion0x17
can detect anyone's visible post count...
+691|6768|Cambridge (UK)

_j5689_ wrote:

That's probably if you use software sound.  Switch it to hardware if you have a sound card that can do it.
No, hardware too. Well sort of. Basically BF2 will use the DX sound features you asked it to. If your hardware doesn't support certain DX features it'll use software.

Another thing I just thought of, but icba to re-read the thread to check if it's already been asked - OP: are you wired into your hub/router/modem or wirelss?
GR34
+215|6547|ALBERTA> CANADA
maby its the 8600 trade it in for a 7800 you will get better performance!
jdoog
+0|6139
i am running through a router and 1 pc and myself is connected using the router, myself being the host. i have tried turning the sound to low but it still chops up.
jdoog
+0|6139
update: fixed all my lag issues my dual booting up windows xp and setting bf2 to high priority, vista sucks
{RR}Broccoli
+0|6146
Punkbuster also gets it's stuff done (and checks for updates) early when you log in.

So often there will be some stuttering (like players legs don't move but they "scoot" from one place to another, etc.)

It's not graphics, its your server geometry updates not getting through smoothly.

Just wait it out, take your time and choose a squad before spawning, ask them what they need.  By the time you do that, it's over.

(Manually update punkbuster too.)

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard