mtb0minime
minimember
+2,418|6655

sergeriver wrote:

M.O.A.B wrote:

I believe that is something to do with the fact that a lot of people are quick to critize the US, but forget or are not interested in what the country has done to help the world. Its a lack of appreciation thing IMO. I'd be ticked off too if everyone went on a mission to bring up everything wrong with my country, wouldn't you?
That's the point I don't agree with.  Most of the World has a huge appreciation for American contribution.  We watch American movies, American tv, we use a lot of things invented there, so don't feel that the World only sees the bad things of America.  Besides, most of the criticism is for GWB and the US foreign policy.
[I know this is an old comment but I'm too lazy to read through all pages of this]

There's a difference between appreciating something, and just plain using it. Example: I like using my computer and lights in the house and other electronics, but since I don't pay the power bills around here, nor have I lived in the medieval times, I don't truly appreciate the amazing technology of electricity.
sergeriver
Cowboy from Hell
+1,928|6758|Argentina

CameronPoe wrote:

sergeriver wrote:

I posted the same link, and usmarine went like "wikipedia the roflcopter, OMGZ!!!!".  Then he deleted it.
LOL. Typical. Pity you didn't reply before it got deleted.
I did, but I deleted it myself coz it looked dumber every time I read it.
sergeriver
Cowboy from Hell
+1,928|6758|Argentina

mtb0minime wrote:

sergeriver wrote:

M.O.A.B wrote:

I believe that is something to do with the fact that a lot of people are quick to critize the US, but forget or are not interested in what the country has done to help the world. Its a lack of appreciation thing IMO. I'd be ticked off too if everyone went on a mission to bring up everything wrong with my country, wouldn't you?
That's the point I don't agree with.  Most of the World has a huge appreciation for American contribution.  We watch American movies, American tv, we use a lot of things invented there, so don't feel that the World only sees the bad things of America.  Besides, most of the criticism is for GWB and the US foreign policy.
[I know this is an old comment but I'm too lazy to read through all pages of this]

There's a difference between appreciating something, and just plain using it. Example: I like using my computer and lights in the house and other electronics, but since I don't pay the power bills around here, nor have I lived in the medieval times, I don't truly appreciate the amazing technology of electricity.
But there's a lot of appreciation for America.  The problem is you guys can't see it coz you are too busy listening to the critics.
M.O.A.B
'Light 'em up!'
+1,220|6223|Escea

CameronPoe wrote:

Superslim wrote:

sergeriver wrote:

Some Americans seem so concerned about every tiny comment about America.  Then, we have people thinking that the World has this obsession with America.  Why do you think is that?
I guess getting constantly kicked in the balls does that. Damned if you do damned if you don't. It's either, America save us, or America fuck off. Never seems to be a happy medium.
I rarely hear people crying out 'America save us'. The last time was in 1939. It then took the US a couple of years (and of course the Pearl Harbour incident) to get up off their arses. Having said that: GG USA in WWII. Much appreciated.
The reason the US didn't get involved at the time was because the US was neutral, where were the Irish in WWII? You're complaining about a country because it gets involved in other countries affairs, yet you're also complaining because the US didn't get involved in a conflict that wasn't theirs from the beginning, make your mind up already.
Ajax_the_Great1
Dropped on request
+206|6647
Why are people so obsessed with Americans who are obsessed with people who are obsessed with America?!? Answer that one.
CameronPoe
+2,925|6556

M.O.A.B wrote:

The reason the US didn't get involved at the time was because the US was neutral, where were the Irish in WWII? You're complaining about a country because it gets involved in other countries affairs, yet you're also complaining because the US didn't get involved in a conflict that wasn't theirs from the beginning, make your mind up already.
I'm not complaining at all. It was not 'the duty' of America, or Ireland, to haul continental Europe's ass out of the fire.
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6652|USA

CameronPoe wrote:

sergeriver wrote:

Some Americans seem so concerned about every tiny comment about America.  Then, we have people thinking that the World has this obsession with America.  Why do you think is that?
Do you wanna know why Serge? It's because they care about what the outside world thinks of them (well the ones that realise that there is an outside world anyway). Touching.
We know there is an outside world Cam, because of the endless line of countries with their hands out, accepting our aid..
M.O.A.B
'Light 'em up!'
+1,220|6223|Escea

But the phrase 'Get up off their arses' implies that they should have done something and that they didn't do it soon enough.
IG-Calibre
comhalta
+226|6743|Tír Eoghan, Tuaisceart Éireann

M.O.A.B wrote:

where were the Irish in WWII? .
What a fucking insult to all the thousands of Irish men that gave their lives on the battlefield in WW2. While the Irish government may have remained neutral, many volunteered and joined the crown forces, not to mention the Ulster regiments and those who joined Commonwealth countries like Canada to fight, like my uncles did..

Yvonne McEwen, a historian with a special interest in Irish affairs, has now come up with a detailed estimate of the numbers of Irishmen from both sides of the border who fought for Britain.

Based on the War Office calculation that 22 men served for every one who died, she estimates that 99,997 Irishmen volunteered, with the number divided almost evenly between the North and the South.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/northern_ireland/3749629.stm

Last edited by IG-Calibre (2007-07-05 06:37:11)

lowing
Banned
+1,662|6652|USA

IG-Calibre wrote:

M.O.A.B wrote:

What a fucking insult to all the thousands of Irish men that gave their lives on the battlefield in WW2. While the Irish government may have remained neutral, many volunteered and joined the crown forces, not to mention the Ulster regiments and those who joined Commonwealth countries like Canada to fight, like my uncles did..
Surly you can see he meant the "offical" position of the Irish govt and not specific individuals
IG-Calibre
comhalta

lowing wrote:

IG-Calibre wrote:

M.O.A.B wrote:

Surly you can see he meant the "offical" position of the Irish govt and not specific individuals
No Lowing he doen't make that clear at all nor do I think that is what he intended in the slightest..
IG-Calibre
comhalta
haha - holy shit, Lowing i've just realised that i'm posting to yourself, how's it going in that godforsaken land you're in? good to see you're still in one piece!
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6652|USA

IG-Calibre wrote:

lowing wrote:

IG-Calibre wrote:

No Lowing he doen't make that clear at all nor do I think that is what he intended in the slightest..
Ok, well that is how I read him.
M.O.A.B
'Light 'em up!'
+1,220|6223|Escea

I was talking of the Irish governement, sergeriver says he's talking about GWB when referring to the bad points in the US but tha's not mentioned in the OP is it? Those who fought were brave volunteers, my point is that the US government changed from neutrality and actively engaged in the war effort, the Irish government didn't.

Last edited by M.O.A.B (2007-07-05 07:05:17)

lowing
Banned
+1,662|6652|USA
There see? I am STILL always right!!  Even with mortars falling on me. Ahhhhhhhh some things never change.

Last edited by lowing (2007-07-05 07:10:38)

sergeriver
Cowboy from Hell
+1,928|6758|Argentina

Ajax_the_Great1 wrote:

Why are people so obsessed with Americans who are obsessed with people who are obsessed with America?!? Answer that one.
Why are Americans so obsessed with people obsessed with Americans who are obsessed with people obsessed with America?
sergeriver
Cowboy from Hell
+1,928|6758|Argentina

lowing wrote:

CameronPoe wrote:

sergeriver wrote:

Do you wanna know why Serge? It's because they care about what the outside world thinks of them (well the ones that realise that there is an outside world anyway). Touching.
We know there is an outside world Cam, because of the endless line of countries with their hands out, accepting our aid..
I want a PS3 with 60 gb, pls send it to...forget it, I will owe you for ever just for a PS3.
IG-Calibre
comhalta

lowing wrote:

There see? I am STILL always right!!  Even with mortars falling on me. Ahhhhhhhh some things never change.
Oh yeah surrrrrrrrrrrre! he happens to post that clarification very conveniently after your post, given the situation between Ireland and Britain at the time, neutrality was the most prudent position to maintain. So my question is, while America sat on the fence, while the real war was being fought!  before they came in at the end to mop up, where were all the American volunteers at on the battlefield? eh eh? tell me that?
M.O.A.B
'Light 'em up!'
+1,220|6223|Escea

IG-Calibre wrote:

lowing wrote:

Oh yeah surrrrrrrrrrrre! he happens to post that clarification very conveniently after your post, given the situation between Ireland and Britain at the time, neutrality was the most prudent position to maintain. So my question is, while America sat on the fence, while the real war was being fought!  before they came in at the end to mop up, where were all the American volunteers at on the battlefield? eh eh? tell me that?
In the RAF, at the battle of Britain.

Last edited by M.O.A.B (2007-07-05 07:32:41)

Bertster7
Confused Pothead
+1,101|6582|SE London

IG-Calibre wrote:

lowing wrote:

There weren't any that I know of. But then it's a lot more difficult to slip off across the Atlantic, while it's full of U-Boats, than it is to come over from Ireland. Also, there were plenty of American supplies coming through, maybe not soldiers, but the supplies were extremely handy.
Bertster7
Confused Pothead
+1,101|6582|SE London

M.O.A.B wrote:

IG-Calibre wrote:

lowing wrote:

In the RAF, at the battle of Britain.
A few. Not as many as made out in American films. There were only 7 of them you know - compared to more than 2500 British pilots (and more than 500 from other countries).

Kudos to the 7 US pilots who did lie about their identities to get a crack at the Germans though!

If you think the US significantly contributed to the Battle of Britain, you've been watching too many movies.

Last edited by Bertster7 (2007-07-05 07:41:24)

M.O.A.B
'Light 'em up!'
+1,220|6223|Escea

There were only 7, lol I didn't know that, I thought there were more, there was also a few Canadian pilots as well.
IG-Calibre
comhalta

Bertster7 wrote:

IG-Calibre wrote:

lowing wrote:

There weren't any that I know of. But then it's a lot more difficult to slip off across the Atlantic, while it's full of U-Boats, than it is to come over from Ireland. Also, there were plenty of American supplies coming through, maybe not soldiers, but the supplies were extremely handy.
Didn't seem to stop the Canadians! know what I mean? eh eh!
Bertster7
Confused Pothead
+1,101|6582|SE London

IG-Calibre wrote:

Bertster7 wrote:

IG-Calibre wrote:

Didn't seem to stop the Canadians! know what I mean? eh eh!
The Canadians weren't forbidden from entering the war by law. They weren't neutral, they were actively involved.
Machine_Madness
Madness has now come over me
+20|6437|Brisbane, Australia

Mitch wrote:

It's cause America > World.
Nuff Sed
thats why everyone disses Americans.....they are up themselves.

no mean to offend....just stating the obvious by looking at a number of posts in this thread and from Americans i know.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard