E7IXER
Banned
+20|6146|Chester, UK
I dont know why he's called Arnie_Ze_Austrian but he can do a really good impression of Arnold Schwarzenegger.

Last edited by E7IXER (2007-07-03 23:21:12)

Gunner978
+7|6274|USA
Got to admit.. I wish i had this before all of my 700+ hours in the chopper.. Untill about 100 hours i didnt know half this tuff.. Top class video and recommend for any noob to the game. :]
ramsie1
+2|6532|London UK
Good tutuorial, can you tell him to do a vid on evasive moves and what he does while doing them

all i know is the barrell roll but im sure theres loads more
Chorcai
+49|6645|Ireland

Onidax wrote:

"Dont fly like your pissed out your head" LOL
pished !
adv3rsary
+28|6713
nothing i didnt already know but..
thanks for telling people to practice on empty servers (you wouldnt think something that requires such little common sense needs to be said so much)
+ there's always need for more good pilots .. quite a few people can shoot tv's these days, but they cant fly worth a damn (so thanks for attempting to train them)

Last edited by adv3rsary (2007-07-04 14:30:03)

Stubbee
Religions Hate Facts, Questions and Doubts
+223|6741|Reality
I hope his future videos are more informative. These 2 videos give the illusion to newbs and noobs that they can fly in BF2. What he needs to show them is how to be COMBAT pilots. And how to be a proper combat team with your gunner. Things like VOIP (or equivalent) and being in the same squad.

Good beginning though.
The US economy is a giant Ponzi scheme. And 'to big to fail' is code speak for 'niahnahniahniahnah 99 percenters'
Inimicus_7
+26|6359|England, UK
Very good, for all pilots of all skill level.

However one quest, when "funnelling" (I know it as a Circle of death too =P), am I the only person who hates doing it for an extended period, players aren't that stupid they start to put lead on their Eryx/SRAW shots and can hit moving targets. I mix it up, I'll just randomly change the direction of the funnel, or accelerate off, turn around and come back in, this also leads players into a false sense of security and most of the time you'll come back and find about 5 guys who have come out of hiding from you...who then proceed to die.
Arnie_Ze_Austrian
+55|6139
Hi,

I actually intended to make these videos about how to be a good pilot (as opposed to be able to do technical manoeuvres), but it's hard to build up to that without laying the groundwork first.  That's why I made these two videos to start with.  Future videos will be made, but it'll take longer to make 'em as I'll need to fraps some footage on public servers and I don't have much hard drive space right now.  A lot of people fail to understand the difference between being good at controlling a chopper and actually being a good pilot.  Put it this way: If you have total control of your fists in a fight, but all you can do is repeatedly punch yourself in the balls, it won't do much good.  I always want to rip somebody's face off when I get in a chopper and the pilot starts rolling and spinning and weaving like it's an airshow mod, then he flies straight into a triangle of IGLA sites with mobile AA and two choppers in the centre, then we inevitably die (i.e. he's good at controlling the chopper, but he doesn't know what he's doing).  That was the whole reason for making these videos, but I haven't broached the main topic yet.  I'll get there.  Eventually. 

A good pilot is always the most important ingredient for getting big scores and dominating the other team.  The proof's in the pudding, as the axiom goes.  Put a shit-hot gunner in a chopper with an average pilot and the pilot will likely get the chopper killed by making bad choices.  Put a great pilot with an average gunner and the pilot can more readily manage the risk.  On many maps, the pilot can take (fewer) risks or line up shots according to the gunner's skill.  E.g. Many months ago I got some dude a 70 killstreak on sharqi -- he was a very low rank and didn't know much, but I could still get him a nice score by altering my flying style and letting him use the cannon.  Also, I had some really bad gunner in my chopper on wake a few weeks back and even though this guy literally could not hit a boat(!) with the TV, I still managed to get him amongst the infantry and he ended with 60ish kills.  Now switch roles.  If the pilot had been poor to average and I had been gunning (I'm good with the cannon in any chopper and less so with the TV) there's no way in hell we would've got so many kills.  Ideally you have a good pilot & gunner and both contribute and complement one another, but I'm just trying to emphasise the fact that the pilot is the weakest link so it's hugely important that you know how to fly 'smart' and make the right choices.  Of course, if the enemy chopper team are both good, then you'll get wrecked regardless of which of the pilot/gunner isn't up to scratch, but the point remains.

Anyway, the importance of making good choices as a pilot is the difference between a 20-40 kill round and a 90 kill round.  How do I know this?  Because I've flown for and with a lot of chopper whores.  The good pilots immediately stick out because, despite being in the thick of the action, you find yourselves in fewer situations where you're odds-on to lose and, come the end of the round, you're sitting on 40+ kills or, if the map lends itself to attack choppers (dalian, wake, sharqi etc.), more like 80+.  Good pilots also modify their style and aggressiveness based on what the enemy is doing.  I'm sure you've all had rounds where it seems EVERY SINGLE .50 CAL in the entire bloody map is trying to shoot you down.  I'm sure you've also had rounds where it's like the enemy has just given up and lets you have free reign over them.  A good pilot will recognise this and adjust their style accordingly (to ward off the threat while staying alive and to capitalise, respectively).  I want to go into all of that, too.

Thanks for the comments.  It's nice to know the videos are of use and I can build on them.  Cheers to E7IXER for posting them here as I hadn't really thought about it (though I do like this site as it has the nicest stats layout).

Inimicus_7: Yes, that's something I hope to cover in the next video.  I see a lot of chopper pilots who focus on one point and constantly circle it or point at it, and that's often a big no-no.  Circling at a constant rate is also dangerous because what's fast-moving to one person is slow-moving or stationary to another (e.g. trying to shoot a 100m sprinter is easy if he's running straight towards you, regardless of how fast he's moving!)  If I see a chopper doing really consistent circles, I usually try and nail it using the TOW just for kicks (getting shot down by a TOW is like the ultimate insult -- it either says "you are stationary/a dumbass" or "your movement was very predictable or you were barely moving from my perspective".

I also see a lot of pilots who will home in on one thing and just spiral towards it really slowly, then wonder why their gunner (who is looking at another target nearby that the pilot isn't focussing on) isn't shooting at it... and then they get hit by 3 AT rockets and die.  I nearly always focus on wide areas as opposed to individuals or points (so that all of the targets in the area will feel threatened and won't have time to line up a shot so easily without fear of being shot, and I'm not as predictable as I would be when orbiting a single point and, finally, it doesn't matter if my gunner doesn't see a specific target as he'll have the whole area to choose from [unless it's a specific threat like AA / .50 cal / Tank etc. in which case I will point it out via voice]).  I hope to explain a lot of stuff like this in future, I just need to find the time to make more videos

Last edited by Arnie_Ze_Austrian (2007-07-04 15:58:40)

bullit
Tank Troll
+71|6687|London, UK
I do all that and with a noob gunner still get good scores ^^

https://i13.tinypic.com/3zsb1ts.jpg

Last edited by bullit (2007-07-04 15:47:35)

Bernadictus
+1,055|6734

Arnie_Ze_Austrian wrote:

Hi, ... videos
What settings do you play with, you mentioned mouse and keyboard, what DPI/sensitivity would you advice?
Any more settings that are good for helicopter gunners/pilots.

Great post by the way. I am stickying this!
Big_Fat_Panda
+8|6666|Iceland
He's definitely Scottish. And this was a great lesson video. He sounded like a real chopper instructor. I'm a pilot so I've heard a couple of instructors, what they focus on and so on.

But I'm throwing my stick and throttle away, cant do shit with that in a chopper.

Mouse and keyboard is the key to success.

Once again great video.
Chaos_nation
Anarchy in the UK
+6|6181|Wolverhampton
Arnie, would you post your key settings for Helicopter along with mouse sensitivity etc.

I have been trying out flying using a mouse and I cant control the movement properly. Just using keyboard I seem to do better but am limited to what I can acheive on keyboard alone.

Any help would be really appreciated.

Cheers for the flix.
mtb0minime
minimember
+2,418|6652

Good video. I can't say I'm the best heli pilot, but I did already know how to do these all these maneuvers and how to set up shots for my gunner. I just really need to work on aiming my missiles, I was hoping he would explain some stuff about that, but I guess I'll just leave it up to spending some time on single player doing target practice.
Stubbee
Religions Hate Facts, Questions and Doubts
+223|6741|Reality
Good to hear from Arnie

I look forward to your new videos. Your insights will serve you well 
The US economy is a giant Ponzi scheme. And 'to big to fail' is code speak for 'niahnahniahniahnah 99 percenters'
Arnie_Ze_Austrian
+55|6139
Control-wise I just use a fairly standard config.

W = Accelerate
S = Decelerate
A = Turn left
D = Turn right

Additional controls:

Ctrl = look around
Space = Behind view (useful to see where AA missiles are coming from, or for spotting jets who are coming around for another pass)
Left Alt = Cockpit view toggle

I use an MX518 @ 1200 DPI (or whatever the top setting is) and I don't use mouse acceleration (google cpl_fix to get rid of mouse accel in windows XP).  There's not much point in going through the sensitivity settings as it's different for every mouse, driver and OS.  I use sensitivity 3 for choppers in BF2 (0.2 for infantry - moving the mouse across the whole pad does something like a 360 degree turn) and the rest is pretty much default.  I initially used redux's BF2 config -- you can't go too far wrong with that.  I generally am a low sensitivity player.  When I play CS I usually have it set up so that going across the whole pad does a ~180 degree turn.  BF2 is a little more hectic so I crank it up a little.  The main thing is being able to control your aim/vehicle/whatever with precision without limiting the rate at which you can turn to respond to threats.  I've never had a problem with pulling up etc. in choppers using a mouse.  I don't think using a joystick is necessary in choppers.  Some pilots no doubt like joysticks, but it's not for me.  I use a joystick for the jets (I'm not much of a jet pilot but I find it a lot easier to use a joystick in jets) but much prefer mouse & kb for choppers

Just practice flying around.  If you can't move the mouse and make fine adjustments, your sensitivity is probably too high.  If you can't pull up in time or turn around fast enough, then your sensitivity is too low.  Find a nice balance.  Also realise that there's a threshold; i.e. if you turn the sensitivity up to 100, it won't make the chopper turn around any faster than sensitivity on 3 (probably).  All it'll do is inhibit your ability to aim with any precision.

Regardless of the config, it should be possible to do all of this stuff without too much trouble. 

Regarding aiming TV missiles: I'd probably not be the best person to teach you about that, as my TV aim (particularly against choppers) isn't that great these days.  I always end up sending TVs through choppers, even when I'm aiming at precisely the spot I wanted to shoot at (marginally behind the chopper's direction of travel).  I'll try and do a video about general aiming at some point, but I'm not promising anything spectacular.  I'm a lot better at aiming the cannon and explaining how to aim it (how to account for the chopper's motion and aim in the correct spot).
SgtSpoon
+6|6481
I like the fact that you mention flying smooth so the gunner can aim properly. I've lost count of the l33t ego's who mock me when i tell them to smoothen up their flying.

Oh, and nice accent
Gunner978
+7|6274|USA
For Aiming the Tv missle/ Single seating in choppers i'd call up Adv3sary to make one.. He's the only competition i have single seating against in my server :p
Kid350
+2|6151|your mom's box
aiming the pilots missles is a big combination of taking into account the movement of the chopper and knowing where to aim.. I find that if i line up target between cross hairs and your horizon detector (that little bar that goes up and down depending on whether you are pitching forward or back) and take the speed and direction the chopper is moving into account i hit fairly regularly..but we will see if arnie has any other useful hints in his next vid
cheify0
+2|6226|Philippines
nice work arnie........keep up the good work......what servers are you playing on??
Ajax_the_Great1
Dropped on request
+206|6644
Awesome. Now I can finally learn how to fly!
Finally i get how 2 fly a helo ty i am now a pro
xXCortoMalteseXx
+11|6148|Some Pub in Valletta
Nice1 M8
Arnie_Ze_Austrian
+55|6139

†[AøT]§tèálth† wrote:

Finally i get how 2 fly a helo ty i am now a pro
You've just started your apprenticeship. 
De_Jappe
Triarii
+432|6525|Belgium

nice vids!
={PS}=Rage
+2|6675|Lake Stevens, WA
One huge thing, if you are going to pilot, you better know how to use that mini map well.  I spot, and my gunner spots, and i will sometimes fly while looking straight at my mini map, until i can get that enemy in my actual sites, I'm using the mini map to keep them centered so my gunner can get a good shot on em.  Can't tell you how many times Ive been in a server, got stuck in the gunners seat, and am spotting enemy after enemy, only for the guy to fly around like he has no clue how to use that map.  bleh.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard