daffytag
cheese-it!
+104|6580
\/ \/ \/ \/ EDIT: SPECS ARE GIVEN IN REPLY FURTHER DOWN. \/ \/ \/ \/ \/

My new pc is all built up.

Im failing to install windows though. My PC either restarts or shuts down just as windows is about to install.

I thought it may have been my pci cards( x-fi and netgear wifi card), so I took those out, but the problem still remains.

Its really annoying me now. I beleive the bios settings are right although a friend sorted that for me.

Will give karma for any help.

Last edited by daffytag (2007-06-30 12:35:08)

buLLet_t00th
Mr. Boombastic
+178|6447|Stealth City, UK
XP, Vista? What componets do you have? Are you using SATA Hard Drive?
Peter
Super Awesome Member
+494|6406|dm_maidenhead
Specs?
Maybe some more information?
daffytag
cheese-it!
+104|6580
P5N32-E asus mobo
e6600 c2d
thermaltake 700w (cable management <---bollocks)
8800gts xfx 640mb
2gd 6400 crucial ballisitixs ram

dvd drive is from old, pc along with Sata HDD

The pc was restarting/turning off while i was trying to format my hdd, but once it had started the formating it seemed fine. Now im up to installing windows.
buLLet_t00th
Mr. Boombastic

daffytag wrote:

P5N32-E asus mobo
e6600 c2d
8800gts xfx 640mb

The pc was restarting/turning off while i was trying to format my hdd, but once it had started the formating it seemed fine. Now im up to installing windows.
Why is cable management bollocks? Saves half of the cables just hanging there not being used and blocking the air flow.

IS IT XP?
daffytag
cheese-it!
+104|6580

buLLet_t00th wrote:

daffytag wrote:

P5N32-E asus mobo
e6600 c2d
8800gts xfx 640mb

Why is cable management bollocks? Saves half of the cables just hanging there not being used and blocking the air flow.

IS IT XP?
Yeah XP Pro w/o any service packs.

and its bollocks, cos my pc is still over crowded, but lets not make that the subject of this topic, Im have bad bf2 withdrawralws.<sp>

Last edited by daffytag (2007-06-30 12:48:22)

ghettoperson
+1,943|6654

Remove everything you don't need, and try then. Eg. 1 stick of RAM, onboard graphics if your mobo has it, no wireless cards etc.
buLLet_t00th
Mr. Boombastic
I know this doesn't help but whenever I get a new system I get a new HDD. They do wear themselves down after a while, you have to remember they're spinning and writing non-stop!

So the main thing is that when you actually go to install XP nothing comes up and then restarts, or it starts the proccess and then does restart?
HITNRUNXX
+220|6714|Oklahoma City
My first recommendation: Try a single stick of your ram. Test it in each memory module. See if any of them go any further than that. Then try the same thing with the other stick.

My second recommendation if that doesn't work: Buy a single stick of CHEAP compatible memory and see if it goes any further. A 512 stick would be fine. Preferably buy it from somewhere with an easy-to-return policy, so if you don't need it (or when you are done with it), you can take it back. Try it in each of your memory modules and see if it makes a difference.

Make sure to keep notes as to which sticks work in which modules, if any.

7 times out of 10 I see that problem it is either bad memory or bad memory modules on the mobo. Lemme know if that makes a difference and we can troubleshoot from there.
evo.mumbles
+8|6494|E. Sussex
You trying to install Xp onto a SATA drive? Make sure you have the SATA drivers on floppy disk then press one of the F keys during startup to install SATA drivers before XP installation begins.

Or you can probably set the SATA drive to run as an IDE device in the BIOS but that will only work on some mobo's.

http://cruftbox.com/blog/archives/000867.html
daffytag
cheese-it!
+104|6580
checked all powere connectors, tried with both ram sticks on their own. Its getting annoying now.

I will ask my neighbour who fixes pc as a profession, if he knows the answer.
Cookie.VXT
Bringer Of Cookies.
+178|6440|UK
disk damaged?

try doing a quick format instead of a large

format using the NTFS

check cables.

u dont need the SATA drivers on install.
daffytag
cheese-it!
+104|6580
I have multiple cds with xp on for me to use, all have the same result. (Now trying a disc with SP2,recently used by a friend succesfully)

Done two full formats one quick, still no help.

All power/data cables have been checked.
Cookie.VXT
Bringer Of Cookies.
+178|6440|UK
have u tried another hard drive?

the one you recieved may be faulty
daffytag
cheese-it!
+104|6580

Zero!. wrote:

The hdd has worked fine in my previous computer, I have just transfered it over to my new pc.

Edit: I made a similar post on techsupport forum they recomended i download, 'killdisk' anyone know what it is?

Last edited by daffytag (2007-07-01 10:09:28)

Cookie.VXT
Bringer Of Cookies.
+178|6440|UK

daffytag wrote:

Zero!. wrote:

The hdd has worked fine in my previous computer, I have just transfered it over to my new pc.

Edit: I made a similar post on techsupport forum they recomended i download, 'killdisk' anyone know what it is?
killdisk is a hard drive eraser

its basically a more harder version of a format

and btw.

if u have not had problems on this pc.

why not install windows on old pc

then transfer it over into new one with Win XP installed?

just an idea.
Whitey
+2|6150
This probably isnt the problem, but you have a 700W PSU. And a 8800GTX, 2GB high end RAM, a Core2 Duo... me thinks your PSU cant handle it.

nVidia recomend a wattage of about 800W for their 8800GTX's... and with all the other high end shit you have your PSU may not be up to the task
buLLet_t00th
Mr. Boombastic

Whitey wrote:

This probably isnt the problem, but you have a 700W PSU. And a 8800GTX, 2GB high end RAM, a Core2 Duo... me thinks your PSU cant handle it.

nVidia recomend a wattage of about 800W for their 8800GTX's... and with all the other high end shit you have your PSU may not be up to the task
What a load of shite!

Your PSU is fine.
Surgeons
U shud proabbly f off u fat prik
+3,097|6494|Gogledd Cymru

is your heatsink connected properly, when i first got my c2duo, heatsink wasnt fitted properly it kept overheating and shutting itself down.
Whitey
+2|6150
Meh, probably is. Im just saying that cuz I had the same problem with my new PC.
weerdfoo1
Banned
+26|6169|California
a friend of mine had a similar problem, it would restart when it would boot windows, the only thing that would fix it was reformatting, drive, so the problem may be in your hdd.  If you can, try using a different hdd
buLLet_t00th
Mr. Boombastic

Whitey wrote:

Meh, probably is. Im just saying that cuz I had the same problem with my new PC.
So you had a 700 watt PSU and your rig wouldn't work because it was under powered?

Edit: Read this http://www.behardware.com/articles/670- … ption.html

Last edited by buLLet_t00th (2007-07-01 10:42:42)

Whitey
+2|6150
No, I had a 200W PSU and my rig woulnt work cuz it was underpowered.
buLLet_t00th
Mr. Boombastic

Whitey wrote:

No, I had a 200W PSU and my rig woulnt work cuz it was underpowered.
200W and 700W are slighgtly different....can you guess how?
daffytag
cheese-it!
+104|6580
I beleive the heat sink is installed correctly. Its the one supplied with the processor, I followed the instructions and each leg clicked like the manual said it should.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard