majorassult
I <3 ak101
+307|6708|under there hayousaidunderwear
Right, so I have decided I need a better entertainment center.  I will use the TV for Xbox360, regular TV (obviously) and watching movies.  So could someone please explain the difference between LCD and Plasma TVs and which one would be better?

What I want
-Able to play Xbox360 (I think I read somewhere plasma is bad for video games...is this true?)
-Around 42 or 46 inches
-Big viewing radius (We have rap-around couches and I want to be able to see the TV from all different angles)
-I'm not really concerned about price

So could someone suggest some brands to look out for?  I think Samsung is supposed to be good?

Thanks.
Penetrator
Certified Twat
+296|6553|Bournemouth, South England
An LCD tv will last longer, as i won't need recharging after xxxhundred hours use, and LCD (in UK) is generally cheaper.

I'd personally go for a Samsung LCD tv, with that crazy extra black finish, as it produces more vibrant and lifelike colours, and the HDTV option seems cheaper on LCD than plasma.

Your best bet will be to pick a few brands of both, and go through as many customer reviews as you can bear.  Then you'll get the opinion of people who have actually bought one.
TheEternalPessimist
Wibble
+412|6665|Mhz

Samung make the best LCDs by a mile (i have 4 lol). biggest difference between LCD and plasma is colour depth, plasma average 10000:1 contrast ratio where as the best I've seen on LCD is 7000:1 and that was on a samsung Neo Mosel 42" (all mine are Samsung Bordeuxs).

the other biggy is response time, plasma doesnt have one (that I know of, and if it does it's so low you cant notice it), LCD TVs are 4 - 12ms, good average being 8ms, if you sat real close and watched for blur you'd see a tiny bit on an 8ms screen, but as I say youd have to sit nose on the screen looking for it to notice it.
suomalainen_äijä
+64|6211
Lcd
OrangeHound
Busy doing highfalutin adminy stuff ...
+1,335|6695|Washington DC

Here was an interesting article comparing LCD vs. Plasma high def I saw in the Washington Post on Sunday

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/co … 00060.html
majorassult
I <3 ak101
Thanks for the help guys. karma to both of you.

suomalainen_äijä wrote:

Lcd
Care to give a little more of an explanation?
suomalainen_äijä
+64|6211

majorassult wrote:

Thanks for the help guys. karma to both of you.

suomalainen_äijä wrote:

Lcd
Care to give a little more of an explanation?
well, my friend said that LCDs last longer and the quality is much better than Plasmas'
TheEternalPessimist
Wibble
+412|6665|Mhz

Well my comment saying the best CR id seen was 7000:1 just got destroyed.

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showprodu … mp;subcat= <--- latest Samsung Bordeux, 15000:1, if I had babies I'd be tempted to sell them to buy that. jus kiddin... or am i?

Last edited by TheEternalPessimist (2007-06-25 06:49:46)

r2zoo
Knowledge is power, guard it well
+126|6642|Michigan, USA
Well LCDs you liquid crystals lit by a backlight in orderto light them(which do need to be replaced eventully) and Plasmas genrally arent good for gaming due to the fact they can burn images into the screen if left on for a long while on the screen(I.E A corner map, or health gauge,etc)

I personally own niether, have you considered a rear projection?  My 57" Samsung is pretty nice, just dont go for DLP not worth it.

Last edited by r2zoo (2007-06-25 06:48:39)

Sgt.Kyle
Kyle
+48|6529|P-way, NJ
LCD, older brother said they are a lot better than plasma, forgot why though he had a good reeason

he's got a 52''
majorassult
I <3 ak101
I thought 46" was the biggest for LCD....I guess I can't keep up with the tech
TheEternalPessimist
Wibble
+412|6665|Mhz

Nope I just linked you a 52" lol, that one's as good as a plasma in every way (cept the response time which as I say you wouldn't notice), without the screen burn problems and the need for maintenance every couple of years, also more power efficient if that sort of thing bothers you.
.Sup
be nice
+2,646|6499|The Twilight Zone
Lcd!
https://www.shrani.si/f/3H/7h/45GTw71U/untitled-1.png
DankmanHightimes
+24|6545|atlanta GA
LCD is the way to go, yeah you might have to replace the back light after 2000+ hours.

a plasma take less than 100 hours for something to burn into the screen of a plasma, my wifes boss is a news freak soo CNN or whatever is on all day long, now you can see the scrolling news bar (minus the words) when the tv is off. one thing to think about.

the rear projection screen you get a shity view from the side. siting at it dead in front looks great get to the side when some else could be playing or watching from and looks like crap.

i think you cant get up to a 58" lcd then the 60" get into the rear projection lcd

Last edited by DankmanHightimes (2007-06-25 07:08:10)

TGMaverick
+16|6276
I bought one of these 6 months ago... http://reviews.cnet.com/flat-panel-and- … 01243.html and I love it!

Plasma TVs have a small risk of "burn in" with video games or even watching TV, whenever there is something that stays on the screen for a long time (aka HUD, corner map, tv station logo, etc.).  Most plasma's now have some anti-burn-in capabilities, such as pixel-shifting, etc, where they ever-so-slightly move the display a pixel at a time to keep things from getting burned in.

LCD's are also better in bright-light situations, so if you're putting it in a room that has a lot of windows, etc, LCD will be better.

In my case, I put my LCD above a fireplace, and LCDs are said to handle heat just a little bit better than plasma.

But in either case, the technologies are getting better all the time, where it's going to difficult to tell the 2 apart.  Just go with whatever looks the best to you, meets your needs connection-wise, and most importantly, fits your price range.
Bertster7
Confused Pothead
+1,101|6627|SE London

LCD is much better than Plasma. Plasma TVs are on the way out. The real reason Plasmas were good is that LCDs didn't used to be as good as they are now and that it is far easier to manufacture a large (40"+) Plasma TV than a reliable LCD TV - that is now a thing of the past and LCD is the way forwards. Improvements in these typically lower reliability technologies mean that we may see OLED TVs in homes in the not too distant future.

As far as all these comparisons of contrast ratios go, I wouldn't pay too much attention. Samsung list their contrasts as the dynamic contrast ratio - which is deceptive and while they do make exceptionally good LCDs, I wouldn't go so far as to say they're the best. Different manufacturers excel in different aspects of the technology. Response times are not a big issue for watching films, but gaming you can notice ghosting on some LCDs, aim for 8ms (black to white, not grey to grey) response time, which is pretty much perfect. Going for low response times can often be a mistake, if you see very low response times it usually means they are using a fast response TN panel, which is a bad thing - IPS-Alpha panels, like the one used on the Panasonic TX-32LXD700 give a great image but often need high refresh rates to mask the poor response of the transistors.

Personally I've found that by far and away the best buys are the budget LCDs. Hanspree do some extremely good screens for insanely low prices But you're looking for something big and flashy, so I'd definately say that the Sony X series are your best bet (specifically the KDL-46X2000 for you). If you wanted Plasma, the Pioneer pdp-5000ex 50 is very nice.
majorassult
I <3 ak101
Alright thanks for all the help everyone.  I have decided I will be going with LCD and I am currently leaning at Samsung

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a … 6889102134
TheEternalPessimist
Wibble
+412|6665|Mhz

nice, ok price and free stuffwith it
Bertster7
Confused Pothead
+1,101|6627|SE London

I'd still go with an X Series Sony over that.

Which, if you look in the customer reviews for that product, they are mentioning how great they are.
If you can afford it, go for the LN-T4665F which is nowhere near SONY XBR quality, but the closest you'll get. If not, the LNT4661F is the best in the lower price range.
majorassult
I <3 ak101
okay thanks everyone!
BeerzGod
Hooray Beer!
+94|6615|United States
Plasma.

Plasma gives you the best picture, period. Especially with HD. I don't mess with console gaming so I have no personal experience with console+plasma, but I do know that having an image burnt into the screen is not something you would have to worry about. You would have to be playing 24/7 for a month before any kind of image would start to burn. A lot of people also say that plasma doesn't last long, but if you buy one from a good brand then you don't have anything to worry about... unless you watch tv 10+ hours a day, every day.
_j5689_
Dreads & Bergers
+364|6762|Riva, MD
I heard the plasmas deteriorate over time so i'd say LCD unless you can afford it replace the plasma every couple of years because I played some 360 games on a 42" 1080i plasma and that shit looked DAMN nice.  I have yet to see anything that looked better than that ever.
Profitteroles
+11|6284|Dartford
I own a 32 inch LCD and a 50 inch Plasma both have their advantages and disadvantages I personally think the plasma offers the better picture quality

LCD's have a non-reflective screen and produce bright colours better so would be suited in a bright room but they suffer from motion blur and don’t reproduce blacks and dark colours as well as plasma's and yes the LCD's last longer but when you think my plasma is rated for 60,000 hours that’s 7 years without being turned off I don’t think long life will be an issue

Plasma's have a glass front to then so will be reflective if facing a bright light so ideal for evening viewing, they produce darker black and grey and don’t suffer from motion blur as much as lcd's, yes there is the issue of screen burn but if you're careful and don’t leave sky+ on pause for hours on end there won't be a problem and most plasma's come with a screen wash function to get rid of screen burn.

My personal preference would be plasma but then again its each to their own
TheEternalPessimist
Wibble
+412|6665|Mhz

I'm guessing your LCD is a year or so old, the new range of Samsung LCDs and I'd imagine screens from a few more manufacturers produce perfect blacks (the whole advertising campaign for the new Samsungs is based around how it produces better blacks than any other screen) and don't blur at all.
Profitteroles
+11|6284|Dartford
I do agree with you there i have no doubt that LCD's now produce blacks better than they did but its still not quite on a par with plasma's, i dont think that either are that much better than each other best bet is to go to your local electrical shop and be the biggest pain in the arse (like i was) and make them plug a hd-dvd player/PS3/Xbox 360 into all the TV's youre looking at and decide for yourself end of the day its your £1000+ you're spending so get something that suits you and that you like, TBH if you buy a decent brand LCD or Plasma you're not gonna go wrong

Last edited by Profitteroles (2007-06-26 07:14:06)

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard