Might be okay, depends on who makes it45%45% - 43
Nah, Im not a fan of pretty jungles and napalm4%4% - 4
Hell no, Im not playing a game where the US loses...1%1% - 1
I'm happy with [insert no-name Vietnam game here]3%3% - 3
Total: 94
Spearhead
Gulf coast redneck hippy
+731|6682|Tampa Bay Florida
It really confuses me why they're haven't been many Vietnam based first person shooters.  I know there are some out there, like Vietcong, and a few others, but c'mon.  I guess the closest thing I could think of is Battlefield Vietnam (which was imo very underrated).  I just don't see how a game developer could pass up the opportunity of creating a Vietnam based game. 

I mean, think about it.  Vietnam was the first time the AK-47 and M16 went head to head, and thats a big reason to make a video game right there.  Nothing was more iconic during during the late 60's/early 70's than the picture of a shellshocked GI in jungle gear with his M16 and a personalized helmet, and bodies of dead Vietcong and NVA with an AK-47 in their lap.  Not only were the weapons iconic, so was the music and landscape.  You basically had this huge countryside, full of farms, rivers, and jungle.  You had no idea which direction the enemy was coming from.  Back at base camp you listened to rock n roll.  There are just so many things that would make a Call of Duty, or Medal of Honor game great if it took place during the Vietnam war.  I'll make a list, and please add anything you think would be cool as well.

1. First major war where the AK-47 vs. M16
2. Open, beautiful jungle allows for open ended combat, clever use of camoflage, and also, great graphics
3. First war where helicopters were used as gunships... can you imagine the coolness of firing an M60 from the side of a Huey?
4. Customized appearence and weapons.  We've all seen it.... the helmet with the bullet belt rapped around it, maybe some morphine, and a playing card.  Imagine, being able to customize you're own helmet and appearence in multiplayer..... that would be cool as hell.
5. Music, of course... maybe have a radio where each team spawns, activate it, and it switches to another song. 
6. The last one I could think of is..... creating interest in a war no one  (at least teenagers) seems to care about anymore.  Vietnam was probably the most influential and controversial war in our nation's recent history.. in my opinion, avoiding controversy isn't the way to inform people about it.  After Saving Pvt. Ryan, and the loads of other WW2 games and movies.. nowadays it seems anyone whos played Call of Duty qualifies as a WW2 buff.  But hardly any of those people have ever heard of the battle of Hue, or the Tet Offensive, or napalm. 

All I have for now... please, add your own ideas.  Maybe we can bribe a developer to make a game, which means $$$ for our ideas

Last edited by Spearhead (2007-06-23 02:36:29)

Chaos_nation
Anarchy in the UK
+6|6176|Wolverhampton
I would play Vietnam games, enjoyed Vietcong although the multiplayer game was a bit sucky. Not got BF Vietnam installed yet so cannot comment on that one.

I agree though, a new Vietnam orientated game would be welcome esp if it plays like BF2
mkxiii
online bf2s mek evasion
+509|6228|Uk
could be awesome if the right people make it...and aim it at the right audience...us! if they aim it at players of games such as BF2 itll be great, but on the other hand, it could all go horribly wrong.
jkohlc
2142th Whore
+214|6518|Singapore
depends on how they do it. it would be good if we can roam the jungle.
buLLet_t00th
Mr. Boombastic
+178|6434|Stealth City, UK
Are you shitting me? Theres hundreds of Vietnam FPS's, last year a week wouldn't go by without a Vietnam war game coming out!
RoosterCantrell
Goodbye :)
+399|6472|Somewhere else

hmmm. Was Battlefield: Vietnam THAT bad?

I liked it. wasn't great, but the grenade launcher owned.
DesertFox-
The very model of a modern major general
+794|6677|United States of America

RoosterCantrell wrote:

hmmm. Was Battlefield: Vietnam THAT bad?

I liked it. wasn't great, but the grenade launcher owned.
Aye, that and the M40. Bad thing was AI were idiots, you could run up to a vehicle full of guys and stab them all without a shot fired.
The_Mac
+96|6217
I think the things that summed up the Vietnam War were two things: Helicopters, and experimentation. I think some developer should make an open ended game that lets you use a load of helicopters, and experiment with them.
UH-1 Huey Slicks had m60s, that was standard. But what wasn't was the customization the fire crews on the ground exercised to see what worked and what didn't.
UH-1E Gunships for the Marines had m60C in a chin turret, while the Army had the M5 40mm Grenade launcher in the turret. There are also reports of a 20mm cannon in the nose, which I haven't seen yet, but I know a 20mm cannon was put in a gun pod and attached to the side of the Huey. Rocket pods were also variable, as well as miniguns being put in side skids, or on the door guns, it was very diverse. I think that part of the Vietnam war is undervalued, and needs to go in some game.
Of course, AH-1s made an appearance as well, and early versions had a 40mm nade launcher and mini gun in the nose, or two 40mm nade launchers or 2 7.62mm Miniguns in the turret. That kind of choice should be presented in whatever game it is As well as cutomizing rocket pods and TOW launching capabilities.
The US troops on the ground had a diverse amount of weapons, including m14s, m16s, CAR-15s, and M2 .30 Cal Carbines, and M3 Grease Guns. I think all this stuff needs to get added in, the choice and variety. Don't forget m79 Bloopers, and fixed on grenade launchers.

Last edited by The_Mac (2007-06-23 08:24:53)

arhopkins3
+5|6225|United Kingdom
The Mao Valley map in PROJECT REALITY is very vietnam-like. . . .and its very like BF:Vietnam in that you can create mobile spawn points.
DUnlimited
got any popo lolo intersting?
+1,160|6455|cuntshitlake

Battlefield Vietnam was and still is awesome. It yet had/has some problems.

a) the kits/armies are not well balanced. The m60 + LAW US kit owns BIG time. And everyone uses it.
b) the game engine is old. BFV would be awesome on BF2's engine. Imagine the graphics

not to mention other problems (overpowered huey gunship, tank shells & artillery shells drop like pea shooter, jets can be taken down with a pistol etc...)

Anyways, A Vietnam FPS would be GREAT.
main battle tank karthus medikopter 117 megamegapowershot gg
The_Mac
+96|6217
I think, a lot more detail should be added in, and of course, more players and bigger, more varied maps would also help. More weapons as well.
Flecco
iPod is broken.
+1,048|6657|NT, like Mick Dundee

I remember some game called "Shellshock 'NAM '67" or something like that. I rented it for a week on the xbox. Third person due to legal issues over a publisher change at the last minute but...

It fucking rocked.

Brilliant gameplay. You went from a grunt to special forces over the course of the war through each mission and shit... Was absolutely brilliant game. Severly under rated and if I could buy it now I would.

Edit.

I'd love another 'Nam game done well. A game isn't good based on the setting though, it has to be a good game first with a good setting second...

I just don't understand why Vietnam wasn't used more. I know it's a tad perverse but in a way it is the only way for the younger generations to truly remember the wars of the past as my peers here in Australia don't give a toss about history or respecting the efforts of those that came before...

Last edited by Flecco (2007-06-25 01:57:43)

Whoa... Can't believe these forums are still kicking.
Sarrk
O-O-O A-O A
+788|6648|Brisbane, Australia

Call of Duty and Medal of Honour

Raping historic wars one sequel at a time
DeathBecomesYu
+171|6171

Flecco wrote:

I remember some game called "Shellshock 'NAM '67" or something like that. I rented it for a week on the xbox. Third person due to legal issues over a publisher change at the last minute but...

It fucking rocked.

Brilliant gameplay. You went from a grunt to special forces over the course of the war through each mission and shit... Was absolutely brilliant game. Severly under rated and if I could buy it now I would.

Edit.

I'd love another 'Nam game done well. A game isn't good based on the setting though, it has to be a good game first with a good setting second...

I just don't understand why Vietnam wasn't used more. I know it's a tad perverse but in a way it is the only way for the younger generations to truly remember the wars of the past as my peers here in Australia don't give a toss about history or respecting the efforts of those that came before...
Im sorry but Shellshock Nam was an awful game. It was absolutely horrible. The AI was stupid, It had some good ideas but very poorly executed. Very linear and graphically challenged. It was funny how you could see an enemy about a hundred yards away, standing completely still and your shots could NEVER hit them unless you moved forward and got close, they forced you into close quarters combat. Maybe the X-box version was better but the PC version was better off as a table shim. I think I ended up giving that game away.
Flecco
iPod is broken.

DeathBecomesYu wrote:

Flecco wrote:

It fucking rocked.

Edit.

Im sorry but Shellshock Nam was an awful game. It was absolutely horrible. The AI was stupid, It had some good ideas but very poorly executed. Very linear and graphically challenged. It was funny how you could see an enemy about a hundred yards away, standing completely still and your shots could NEVER hit them unless you moved forward and got close, they forced you into close quarters combat. Maybe the X-box version was better but the PC version was better off as a table shim. I think I ended up giving that game away.
Probably was better... PC games should not be so arcadish and easy to pick up.

Notice it's the ones with the steepest learning curves that last the longest and have the most annoying, shit for brains communities (DotA, CS 1.6 ect... )....
The_Mac
+96|6217
I think if any sort of Vietnam game came into play, it needs to be big. You need to be able to a variety of things. I like the idea of being a grunt, and then becoming Spec Ops, that sounds neat.
But I think for a cool Vietnam game you need good graphics, and physics. You need to be able to pilot a variety of vehicles, from UH-1Es, AH-1Gs/Js to M60C Pattons. You should be able to fire off M3 Grease Guns, Thompsons, M14s, M16s, CAR-15s, the whole deal.
You should be able to pilot F-4 Phantoms, A-4 Skyhawks, the whole deal.
Its all about immersion and showing off the conflict. Vietnam wasn't just a ground conflict, but it was definitely an air support mission, with Hueys, and HUS (H-34) [I'm thinking marines here, mainly because the Army didn't show up in force until around 1964].
I mean all this is good stuff, to make a good plot line, and make it sound interesting.
I mean, think about it, Single Player, you can be a door gunner on an H-34, to a pilot of a UH-1E with rocket pods and machine guns (and chin turrets) to being a Green Beret, or hell, even the Navy had Huey Gunships, UH-1Cs, with miniguns attached, and rocket pods (can't leave without those good ol' rocket pods!) to a Marine in the Jungle, to a servicemen in the "Brown Navy" (Riverboats).
I mean, a superb game would have all those, plus a good multiplayer would include Battlefield like elements. Imagine pumping fire into an enemy position, or stalking your prey in the jungle as a Spec OPs, to firing off a 6 barreled .30 Cal gatling gun and a 40mm grenade launcher as copilot in a huey. Or even piloting the The AH-1G/J Cobra ( I forgot to mention it in Single Player ).
There's a lot of good stuff, and it can easily be made into one long single player game, with lots of room for MP.
Oscar590
The Canadian
+3|6213|Richmond, BC, Canada
They really need to remake BF Vietnam
Doctor Strangelove
Real Battlefield Veterinarian.
+1,758|6460
I am happy with Battlefield Veitnam
lord.knaslaban
+13|6558|Uppsala, Sweden
They should do a mix between Battlefield: Vietnam/2 and Crysis.

Because the jungle must have the right feeling, not only a load of trees but the small bushes grass etc.
Just look at Crysis.....
Ultrafunkula
Hector: Ding, ding, ding, ding...
+1,975|6466|6 6 4 oh, I forget

Lost Patrol on Amiga 500
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6708

Sarrk wrote:

Call of Duty and Medal of Honour

Raping historic wars one sequel at a time
I love how one private will have to destroy all the bunkers and win the war
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
The_Mac
+96|6217

lord.knaslaban wrote:

Because the jungle must have the right feeling, not only a load of trees but the small bushes grass etc.
Just look at Crysis.....
Yeah, I mean, these suggestions I was throwing out were for any developer who was interested in the period. Crytek could definitely make a fantastic Vietnam FPS visually and gameplay wise. Storywise, it might suck...Crytek isn't known for story telling. But considering there are thousands of painful stories in war, I'm sure they wouldn't have too hard a time thinking something up.
Flecco
iPod is broken.

The_Mac wrote:

lord.knaslaban wrote:

Just look at Crysis.....
Yeah, I mean, these suggestions I was throwing out were for any developer who was interested in the period. Crytek could definitely make a fantastic Vietnam FPS visually and gameplay wise. Storywise, it might suck...Crytek isn't known for story telling. But considering there are thousands of painful stories in war, I'm sure they wouldn't have too hard a time thinking something up.
SSOMEBODY MAKE A MOD! SOMEBODY MAKE A MOD! SOMEBODY MAKE A MOD! SOMEBODY MAKE A MOD! SOMEBODY MAKE A MOD! SOMEBODY MAKE A MOD! SOMEBODY MAKE A MOD! SOMEBODY MAKE A MOD! SOMEBODY MAKE A MOD! SOMEBODY MAKE A MOD! SOMEBODY MAKE A MOD! SOMEBODY MAKE A MOD! SOMEBODY MAKE A MOD! SOMEBODY MAKE A MOD! SOMEBODY MAKE A MOD! SOMEBODY MAKE A MOD! SOMEBODY MAKE A MOD! SOMEBODY MAKE A MOD! SOMEBODY MAKE A MOD! SOMEBODY MAKE A MOD! SOMEBODY MAKE A MOD! SOMEBODY MAKE A MOD! SOMEBODY MAKE A MOD! SOMEBODY MAKE A MOD! SOMEBODY MAKE A MOD! SOMEBODY MAKE A MOD! SOMEBODY MAKE A MOD! SOMEBODY MAKE A MOD! SOMEBODY MAKE A MOD! SOMEBODY MAKE A MOD! SOMEBODY MAKE A MOD! SOMEBODY MAKE A MOD! SOMEBODY MAKE A MOD! SOMEBODY MAKE A MOD! SOMEBODY MAKE A MOD! SOMEBODY MAKE A MOD! SOMEBODY MAKE A MOD! SOMEBODY MAKE A MOD! SOMEBODY MAKE A MOD! SOMEBODY MAKE A MOD! SOMEBODY MAKE A MOD! SOMEBODY MAKE A MOD! SOMEBODY MAKE A MOD! SOMEBODY MAKE A MOD! SOMEBODY MAKE A MOD! SOMEBODY MAKE A MOD! SOMEBODY MAKE A MOD! SOMEBODY MAKE A MOD! SOMEBODY MAKE A MOD! SOMEBODY MAKE A MOD! SOMEBODY MAKE A MOD! SOMEBODY MAKE A MOD! SOMEBODY MAKE A MOD! SOMEBODY MAKE A MOD! SOMEBODY MAKE A MOD! SOMEBODY MAKE A MOD! SOMEBODY MAKE A MOD! SOMEBODY MAKE A MOD! SOMEBODY MAKE A MOD! SOMEBODY MAKE A MOD! SOMEBODY MAKE A MOD! SOMEBODY MAKE A MOD! SOMEBODY MAKE A MOD! SOMEBODY MAKE A MOD! SOMEBODY MAKE A MOD! SOMEBODY MAKE A MOD! SOMEBODY MAKE A MOD! SOMEBODY MAKE A MOD! SOMEBODY MAKE A MOD! SOMEBODY MAKE A MOD! SOMEBODY MAKE A MOD! SOMEBODY MAKE A MOD! SOMEBODY MAKE A MOD! SOMEBODY MAKE A MOD! SOMEBODY MAKE A MOD! SOMEBODY MAKE A MOD! SOMEBODY MAKE A MOD! SOMEBODY MAKE A MOD! SOMEBODY MAKE A MOD! SOMEBODY MAKE A MOD! SOMEBODY MAKE A MOD! SOMEBODY MAKE A MOD! SOMEBODY MAKE A MOD! SOMEBODY MAKE A MOD! SOMEBODY MAKE A MOD! SOMEBODY MAKE A MOD! SOMEBODY MAKE A MOD! SOMEBODY MAKE A MOD! SOMEBODY MAKE A MOD! SOMEBODY MAKE A MOD! SOMEBODY MAKE A MOD! SOMEBODY MAKE A MOD! SOMEBODY MAKE A MOD! SOMEBODY MAKE A MOD! SOMEBODY MAKE A MOD! SOMEBODY MAKE A MOD! SOMEBODY MAKE A MOD! SOMEBODY MAKE A MOD! SOMEBODY MAKE A MOD! SOMEBODY MAKE A MOD! SOMEBODY MAKE A MOD! SOMEBODY MAKE A MOD! SOMEBODY MAKE A MOD! SOMEBODY MAKE A MOD! SOMEBODY MAKE A MOD! SOMEBODY MAKE A MOD! SOMEBODY MAKE A MOD! SOMEBODY MAKE A MOD! SOMEBODY MAKE A MOD! SOMEBODY MAKE A MOD! SOMEBODY MAKE A MOD! SOMEBODY MAKE A MOD! SOMEBODY MAKE A MOD! SOMEBODY MAKE A MOD! SOMEBODY MAKE A MOD! SOMEBODY MAKE A MOD! SOMEBODY MAKE A MOD! SOMEBODY MAKE A MOD! SOMEBODY MAKE A MOD! SOMEBODY MAKE A MOD! SOMEBODY MAKE A MOD! SOMEBODY MAKE A MOD! SOMEBODY MAKE A MOD! SOMEBODY MAKE A MOD! SOMEBODY MAKE A MOD! SOMEBODY MAKE A MOD! SOMEBODY MAKE A MOD! SOMEBODY MAKE A MOD! SOMEBODY MAKE A MOD! SOMEBODY MAKE A MOD! SOMEBODY MAKE A MOD! SOMEBODY MAKE A MOD! OMEBODY MAKE A MOD!
Spearhead
Gulf coast redneck hippy
+731|6682|Tampa Bay Florida
I'll add another thing. 

Playing as Vietcong would be very unique.  You could literally blend in with the civilian population (which would be bots).  In multiplayer there could be a gametype where the Vietcong have to do as much damage as possible without being killed by the Americans.  For example, I'm playing as a Vietcong, and I've just sniped 2 players on the US team.  I run to the nearest possible town, and I can hide my rifle in a bush, or a hidden bunker under a hut.

Now, when the Americans come looking for me, they don't know who I am, because I look like just a regular civilian.  So the players on the American team have a dilemna : Do they execute the whole town, and get a whole bunch of negative points, or do they move on to another village?  I think a gametype like that would be really cool, because the setting of a game is not everything.  A Vietnam game needs to have unique gameplay that reflects how Vietnam was such a different war than, say, WW2.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard