SgtHeihn
Should have ducked
+394|6505|Ham Lake, MN (Fucking Cold)

Bubbalo wrote:

SgtHeihn wrote:

Thats true man, civilians don't relize how trivial some of their problems are.
Whereas people who only have to be in mortal fear for their lives for one or two years at a time just have the worst the world can throw at them.  It's not like there's whole countries of starving people, or anything.
I'm not saying that man. I live in Southern California where for a kids 16th b-day the get a BMW, I bounce at bars and I hear and see fights break out for the stupidest reasons.

Try having bullets flying at you and you will see how people in the west take thing for granted.
I asked one of our translators,(who was from Bagdahad), how we can win the war. He said to me, "Kevin, America needs to stop giving Iraq money and make us work for our selves", I thought about it and realized it was true. The local mayor would not be seen with us in public, but would meet with us in the local police station to get money for "civic projects".
zeidmaan
+234|6433|Vienna

During the war in Bosnia we would often get shelled in the city and we would take shelter in the basement of our building. It was a normal basement that was considered just "safe enough". But once there was talk of possible biological attack so when the sirens sounded off me and my family went to a near by proper shelter. It was a real massive shelter built during communism, deep underground with a generator and air purification systems and what not.

At one point the generator stopped working and with it all of the lights in the shelter. It was pitch black and immediately over 200 people started screaming and panicking. In all the commotion someone broke the heating pipes or air pipes, Im not sure. But it started "hissing" really laud and smelling weird. Of course everyone assumed its toxic and started panicking even more and trying to get out.
I was about 12 years old and I was shitting my pants. People were so scared and screaming looking for the way out in absolute darkness. I remember when I finally manged to get out my nose was bleeding, I lost few teeth, my knees and elbows were messed up, few of my fingernails fell off, my head was bruised... it was horrible.

So even today, about 13 years later, I sometimes get really anxious when I'm in the dark. I cant control it. My blood pressure and heart rate go up, I start breathing faster, my ears start ringing and stuff like that.

Its just human nature and soldiers are humans too. Its easy to get scared for life...
IG-Calibre
comhalta
+226|6761|Tír Eoghan, Tuaisceart Éireann

zeidmaan wrote:

During the war in Bosnia we would often get shelled in the city and we would take shelter in the basement of our building. It was a normal basement that was considered just "safe enough". But once there was talk of possible biological attack so when the sirens sounded off me and my family went to a near by proper shelter. It was a real massive shelter built during communism, deep underground with a generator and air purification systems and what not.

At one point the generator stopped working and with it all of the lights in the shelter. It was pitch black and immediately over 200 people started screaming and panicking. In all the commotion someone broke the heating pipes or air pipes, Im not sure. But it started "hissing" really laud and smelling weird. Of course everyone assumed its toxic and started panicking even more and trying to get out.
I was about 12 years old and I was shitting my pants. People were so scared and screaming looking for the way out in absolute darkness. I remember when I finally manged to get out my nose was bleeding, I lost few teeth, my knees and elbows were messed up, few of my fingernails fell off, my head was bruised... it was horrible.

So even today, about 13 years later, I sometimes get really anxious when I'm in the dark. I cant control it. My blood pressure and heart rate go up, I start breathing faster, my ears start ringing and stuff like that.

Its just human nature and soldiers are humans too. Its easy to get scared for life...
what an absolute fucking nightmare!
The_Mac
+96|6244
Although this'll sound ironic, alot of the Vietnam vets are uptight and trauma because of the welcome party they got back home in the United States. People threw crap at them, even draftsmen who had gone probably less than willingly, and there were no welcome back marching proudly home parties like there were in World War I and World War II. (And Korea too).
So it was insult to injury to the worst degree, and a lot of Vets haven't been able to fully recover because of the welcome they got back. When they returned home, they were different, but they were treated differently--worse.
So in part, its thanks to all the pro peace douchebags who thought they were doing troops a favor, and they were the double faced pieces of crap.
It's frustrating.
SgtHeihn
Should have ducked

zeidmaan wrote:

That sucks man, I'm sorry you had to go through that
The_Mac
+96|6244

zeidmaan wrote:

My Nightmare (edited for length)
Damn, that sounds god awful. But with all due respect, soldiers and marines particularly are trained to cope with this sort of thing and deal with it. Civilians, obviously not.
Mekstizzle
WALKER
+3,611|6639|London, England

The_Mac wrote:

Although this'll sound ironic, alot of the Vietnam vets are uptight and trauma because of the welcome party they got back home in the United States. People threw crap at them, even draftsmen who had gone probably less than willingly, and there were no welcome back marching proudly home parties like there were in World War I and World War II. (And Korea too).
So it was insult to injury to the worst degree, and a lot of Vets haven't been able to fully recover because of the welcome they got back. When they returned home, they were different, but they were treated differently--worse.
So in part, its thanks to all the pro peace douchebags who thought they were doing troops a favor, and they were the double faced pieces of crap.
It's frustrating.
That's because there were massacres done by a few U.S soldiers. Not saying anything, but like usmarine said in another topic. People are sheep. Blame the civilians for their stupidity on collectivley punishing all soldiers, blame the few who did massacres more though. Hopefully those soldiers that did break the law and their orders are dead by now.

Vietnam was pretty pointless, like Iraq. People shouldn't bag on soldiers but when you get dickfucks ruining it for everyone by massacring civilians, they should get all the blame when the shit hits the fan back home, right?
SgtHeihn
Should have ducked

Mekstizzle wrote:

The_Mac wrote:

It's frustrating.
That's because there were massacres done by a few U.S soldiers. Not saying anything, but like usmarine said in another topic. People are sheep. Blame the civilians for their stupidity on collectivley punishing all soldiers, blame the few who did massacres more though. Hopefully those soldiers that did break the law and their orders are dead by now.

Vietnam was pretty pointless, like Iraq. People shouldn't bag on soldiers but when you get dickfucks ruining it for everyone by massacring civilians, they should get all the blame when the shit hits the fan back home, right?
Like Kams old sig said, "Marines don't make the polices".
imortal
+240|6683|Austin, TX
Right after an event, I would have really hyper-realistic dreams for a couple nights.  I mean, I had a dream the base was being hit attacked.  I made it to my post, and since I was supposed to be asleep, the people on duty were looking at me like I was insane and sent me back to by bunk. 

After a couple nights of those dreams, nothing.   Seems to be the way I processed stuff.
BVC
+325|6714
Not a vet, but I have been shot at once.  Driveby, surprise, when it happened I was dumfounded and just stood there for a bit.  After the incident I walked on the side of the road facing traffic for a few years, so that if I saw someone hanging out a window I'd have time to jump behind a fence or some other cover.  For the next week I got a bit nervous whenever I heard a car slowing down behind me.

Only one bullet, nothing really, hell for all I know it could have been a blank pistol...in any case it made me rethink a lot of stuff.  I gained a whole lot more respect for military people after that, and started to understand why Granddad would never want to tell me war stories as a kid.

Last edited by Pubic (2007-06-16 07:06:23)

zeidmaan
+234|6433|Vienna

The_Mac wrote:

zeidmaan wrote:

My Nightmare (edited for length)
Damn, that sounds god awful. But with all due respect, soldiers and marines particularly are trained to cope with this sort of thing and deal with it. Civilians, obviously not.
Yeah and believe it or not it happens very often in every war and people are always warned to remain calm in situation like that (yeah sure). There is just no way around it... you cant light torches in underground shelters

And soldiers are definitely tougher than civilians but for some things you can never be prepared. You can cope really good with stressful situations like driving around in Iraq, but if you happen to get hit and you see your best friends torn to pieces.... for that you cant be trained.

In years to come America will have a big problem at home to deal with. Its sad but war has its price.
Bubbalo
The Lizzard
+541|6580

SgtHeihn wrote:

But they do enforce them.

Re my earlier statements: I'm sorry if I went too far, it's just that some people on these forums seem to hold anyone who's fought for the country above all other people, in terms of both what they've been through and what they're willing to do.  I wasn't saying that it wouldn't be a difficult, stressful situation (moreso than any I, or many others, have ever been in), just that there are worse lives to live.

Last edited by Bubbalo (2007-06-16 07:07:58)

IG-Calibre
comhalta
+226|6761|Tír Eoghan, Tuaisceart Éireann

Pubic wrote:

Not a vet, but I have been shot at once.  Driveby, surprise, when it happened I was dumfounded and just stood there for a bit.  After the incident I walked on the side of the road facing traffic for a few years, so that if I saw someone hanging out a window I'd have time to jump behind a fence or some other cover.  For the next week I got a bit nervous whenever I heard a car slowing down behind me.

Only one bullet, nothing really, hell for all I know it could have been a blank pistol...in any case it made me rethink a lot of stuff.  I gained a whole lot more respect for military people after that, and started to understand why Granddad would never want to tell me war stories as a kid.
A car slowing down behind me on the street while i'm walking would still send a shiver down my spine for sure, and I guess it will for the rest of my life!
SgtHeihn
Should have ducked

Bubbalo wrote:

SgtHeihn wrote:

But they do enforce them.

Re my earlier statements: I'm sorry if I went too far, it's just that some people on these forums seem to hold anyone who's fought for the country above all other people, in terms of both what they've been through and what they're willing to do.  I wasn't saying that it wouldn't be a difficult, stressful situation (moreso than any I, or many others, have ever been in), just that there are worse lives to live.
There is always something worse man. I have never said that I have seen it all. Look at Ziedmaan, he has been through more than I would ever want to go through in my life. Also about the enforcing part, civilians elected the governments, I chose to serve my country after HS, some people didn't, that is the beauty of the free world. Bub, you chose to do what you do and I chose my path.
Mason4Assassin444
retired
+552|6681|USA
Its not killing a human.

Its "engaging the threat".
Bubbalo
The Lizzard
+541|6580

SgtHeihn wrote:

Also about the enforcing part, civilians elected the governments, I chose to serve my country after HS, some people didn't, that is the beauty of the free world. Bub, you chose to do what you do and I chose my path.
You........you............I could hug you.  You chose to do what you do, and as such cannot claim to be completely free from responsibility for the consequences.  I think that's what you're saying, and if I'm wrong, I'm sorry, but if it is........................you just became one of my favourite posters.
SgtHeihn
Should have ducked

Bubbalo wrote:

SgtHeihn wrote:

Also about the enforcing part, civilians elected the governments, I chose to serve my country after HS, some people didn't, that is the beauty of the free world. Bub, you chose to do what you do and I chose my path.
You........you............I could hug you.  You chose to do what you do, and as such cannot claim to be completely free from responsibility for the consequences.  I think that's what you're saying, and if I'm wrong, I'm sorry, but if it is........................you just became one of my favourite posters.
Hey people choose their own paths in life, my views tend to be right wing, anyone else, well they can think what they want. That is the great thing about a free world, we give people the right to choose, we don't kill those who disagree with us.

edit: spelling, damn gin and tonic!

Last edited by SgtHeihn (2007-06-16 07:35:03)

usmarine
Banned
+2,785|6780

Bubbalo wrote:

usmarine2005 wrote:

I can speak for myself.  I am fine.  No nightmares or anything like that.
Commie was talking about people with a conscience.
Didn't know he wanted a douche bag response from your little condescending mouth.
Bubbalo
The Lizzard
+541|6580

usmarine2005 wrote:

Bubbalo wrote:

usmarine2005 wrote:

I can speak for myself.  I am fine.  No nightmares or anything like that.
Didn't know he wanted a douche bag response from your little condescending mouth.
Yeah, well, people often don't get what they want.  Most people deal with it and move one.  People like you have a tendency to throw tantrums and start fights, which brings us back to US militarism.
usmarine
Banned
+2,785|6780

Bubbalo wrote:

usmarine2005 wrote:

Bubbalo wrote:

Yeah, well, people often don't get what they want.  Most people deal with it and move one.  People like you have a tendency to throw tantrums and start fights, which brings us back to US militarism.
Who is the one starting the fight?  I believe you started in with the personal attack, as always.
Scorpion0x17
can detect anyone's visible post count...
+691|6784|Cambridge (UK)

usmarine2005 wrote:

Bubbalo wrote:

usmarine2005 wrote:

Who is the one starting the fight?  I believe you started in with the personal attack, as always.
job, nut.

nut, job.
Bubbalo
The Lizzard
+541|6580

usmarine2005 wrote:

Bubbalo wrote:

usmarine2005 wrote:

Yeah, but I wasn't throwing a tantrum over not getting my why.  I was just pointing out that you don't seem to have an ability to empathise.
The#1Spot
+105|6558|byah

Reciprocity wrote:

I have an uncle who served in Vietnam.  the guy behind him stepped on a mine and was vaporized.  he took shrapnel in the legs and back.  He's been dealing with PTSD for 40 years.  he's cool but he's the first one to admit that the war changed him for the worse.
You mean dismembered by the mine
Scorpion0x17
can detect anyone's visible post count...
+691|6784|Cambridge (UK)

The#1Spot wrote:

Reciprocity wrote:

I have an uncle who served in Vietnam.  the guy behind him stepped on a mine and was vaporized.  he took shrapnel in the legs and back.  He's been dealing with PTSD for 40 years.  he's cool but he's the first one to admit that the war changed him for the worse.
You mean dismembered by the mine
Hey, PTSD affects the vaporized too you know - they're not immune.

Last edited by Scorpion0x17 (2007-06-16 23:29:44)

Ridir
Semper Fi!
+48|6782

Bubbalo wrote:

usmarine2005 wrote:

Bubbalo wrote:

Yeah, but I wasn't throwing a tantrum over not getting my why.  I was just pointing out that you don't seem to have an ability to empathise.
No, you were making a personal attack/remark/etc.  It was very condescending and trying to play it off is showing just what a little bitch you are. 
Oh, and some people don't empathise, thats their choice, your hasty judgements and personal remarks are what make you disliked.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard