Cougar
Banned
+1,962|6774|Dallas
I was thinking about this today, after looking at the news and reading about the chaos and terror in the middle east.  I tried to compare it to the U.S. and use recognizable comparisons to put it into scope. 

If the United States acted like a typical Middle Eastern state we would have or do:

Christians would kill people from any other religion that happened to live in their city.

Methodists and Lutherans would blow each others churches up and have mobile death squads roaming around each others neighborhoods.

Going to Wal-Mart might result in you or a family member getting blown up.

Democrats and Republicans would wage full fledged armed combat in the streets.

Independent's would be gassed to death by either Republicans or Democrats, depending on which one held power for the time.

There would be no trash collectors or working landfills/garbage treatment plants, however the oil fields would be at the top of their game.

The Russian army would patrol our streets in armored vehicles to "defend their homeland".

Illegal Mexicans would claim California.  The U.N. would make it legal.  Mexifornia would then kick the shit out of Oregon, Nevada and Arizona.

You wouldn't be able to drink tap water without getting diarrhea or cholera.

Russians would come into your house at 3 in the morning and take your father/brother away and not give a reason.

Snipers would randomly shoot at you while on your way to work.

Driving down a busy highway would be like playing a really hard game of Minesweeper.

"Freedom Fighters" from Canada, Cuba and Mexico would come to our country and kill us, in order to "help us".

The car next to you in traffic just might explode at any minute.

You or someone you know get kidnapped, held for ransom, tortured and killed for no apparent reason.

Imagine going to church and wondering if the person in the pew next to you has a vest full of C4 on.

Young girls would be dragged to City Hall and stoned to death for giving her boyfriend a kiss.

Your children's favorite game would be "Throw rocks at the Russian Tank".

Jet Fighters would bomb a house on your block every other day.

You would have to wait 13 hours in line to fill up your gas tank.

You only have electricity 4 hours a day.

Sometimes your toilet will flush, sometimes not.  Sometimes you have to shit in the street.

Your entire town meets on Main Street to host a violent mob protest to burn effigies and flags, then someone blows themself up in the middle of the crowd to end the festivities.

Your local news reporter gets kidnapped and beheaded for no apparent reason.

Your children only go to school 3 days a week with no school supplies and get shot at on the way there.

Those are just a few...., I mean, this is pure madness!  What the fuck is wrong with these people!?
usmarine
Banned
+2,785|6771

Good points.

However, this thread will spiral out of control.
JahManRed
wank
+646|6637|IRELAND

Most of what you describe is whats happening in Iraqi and most of that only happened after the west started sticking its nose in.

The rest is Palestine I presume, which is fucked up because the west interfered by allowing Israel to break international law.

If the USA was interfered with the way the middle east has been, then I would be the way you describe.
Bubbalo
The Lizzard
+541|6571
What states exactly would you consider to be typical Middle Eastern states?
Mason4Assassin444
retired
+552|6671|USA
I kind of see it as we're the Jetsons and they're the Flintstones.

Last edited by Mason4Assassin444 (2007-06-13 07:01:41)

Fenris_GreyClaw
Real Хорошо
+826|6529|Adelaide, South Australia

Cougar wrote:

I mean, this is pure madness!
This is, SPARTAAA!
Cougar[Chest Kick] Messenger

Just getting it out of the way

On topic: I actually did a script reading for something like this. The wording is similar to the way we had to read/present it. It opened my eyes up and made me actually work to keep what I have.
sergeriver
Cowboy from Hell
+1,928|6767|Argentina
Great part of the Middle East is a mess, but I wouldn't generalize about them.
RicardoBlanco
The English
+177|6577|Oxford

Cougar wrote:

I was thinking about this today, after looking at the news and reading about the chaos and terror in the middle east.  I tried to compare it to the U.S. and use recognizable comparisons to put it into scope. 

If the United States acted like a typical Middle Eastern state we would have or do:

Christians would kill people from any other religion that happened to live in their city.

Methodists and Lutherans would blow each others churches up and have mobile death squads roaming around each others neighborhoods.

Going to Wal-Mart might result in you or a family member getting blown up.

Democrats and Republicans would wage full fledged armed combat in the streets.

Independent's would be gassed to death by either Republicans or Democrats, depending on which one held power for the time.

There would be no trash collectors or working landfills/garbage treatment plants, however the oil fields would be at the top of their game.

The Russian army would patrol our streets in armored vehicles to "defend their homeland".

Illegal Mexicans would claim California.  The U.N. would make it legal.  Mexifornia would then kick the shit out of Oregon, Nevada and Arizona.

You wouldn't be able to drink tap water without getting diarrhea or cholera.

Russians would come into your house at 3 in the morning and take your father/brother away and not give a reason.

Snipers would randomly shoot at you while on your way to work.

Driving down a busy highway would be like playing a really hard game of Minesweeper.

"Freedom Fighters" from Canada, Cuba and Mexico would come to our country and kill us, in order to "help us".

The car next to you in traffic just might explode at any minute.

You or someone you know get kidnapped, held for ransom, tortured and killed for no apparent reason.

Imagine going to church and wondering if the person in the pew next to you has a vest full of C4 on.

Young girls would be dragged to City Hall and stoned to death for giving her boyfriend a kiss.

Your children's favorite game would be "Throw rocks at the Russian Tank".

Jet Fighters would bomb a house on your block every other day.

You would have to wait 13 hours in line to fill up your gas tank.

You only have electricity 4 hours a day.

Sometimes your toilet will flush, sometimes not.  Sometimes you have to shit in the street.

Your entire town meets on Main Street to host a violent mob protest to burn effigies and flags, then someone blows themself up in the middle of the crowd to end the festivities.

Your local news reporter gets kidnapped and beheaded for no apparent reason.

Your children only go to school 3 days a week with no school supplies and get shot at on the way there.

Those are just a few...., I mean, this is pure madness!  What the fuck is wrong with these people!?
It's called 'medieval'. Europe was like this hundreds of years ago and the US would have been if it was old enough; which it isn't. Just let them get on with it, they'll learn.
Cougar
Banned
+1,962|6774|Dallas

Bubbalo wrote:

Iraq, Iran, Afghanistan, Palestine, Egypt, Pakistan and some parts of Saudi, Jordan and Syria.

JahManRed wrote:

Most of what you describe is whats happening in Iraqi and most of that only happened after the west started sticking its nose in.

The rest is Palestine I presume, which is fucked up because the west interfered by allowing Israel to break international law.

If the USA was interfered with the way the middle east has been, then I would be the way you describe.
Hence the Russian mention.
konfusion
mostly afk
+480|6559|CH/BR - in UK

Funnily enough, I just had a discussion a couple of days ago with a teacher about morals and society. I don't think the morals have improved over the last...X000 years. I think they have changed, yes, but not really gone for better or worse, as instead of killing people, we're simply sending them off to torturing camps or similar things, and we just kill under different pretenses if we do.
I think the only thing the Middle East lacks is discretion. It can then easily become seen more highly and respectfully compared to the west.

-konfusion
Cougar
Banned
+1,962|6774|Dallas

konfusion wrote:

Funnily enough, I just had a discussion a couple of days ago with a teacher about morals and society. I don't think the morals have improved over the last...X000 years. I think they have changed, yes, but not really gone for better or worse, as instead of killing people, we're simply sending them off to torturing camps or similar things, and we just kill under different pretenses if we do.
I think the only thing the Middle East lacks is discretion. It can then easily become seen more highly and respectfully compared to the west.

-konfusion
Palestine, for example,  was a stable, peaceful and prosperous country before Israel.
konfusion
mostly afk
+480|6559|CH/BR - in UK

Cougar wrote:

Palestine, for example,  was a stable, peaceful and prosperous country before Israel.
And how does that have anything to do with my post? I said the middle-east needs discretion. Palestine is not very discrete nowadays...
Actually, come to think of it, up to a certain point where too many immigrants were coming in, Palestine was a peaceful country - except for those English dudes.

-konfusion
Cougar
Banned
+1,962|6774|Dallas

konfusion wrote:

Cougar wrote:

And how does that have anything to do with my post? I said the middle-east needs discretion. Palestine is not very discrete nowadays...
Actually, come to think of it, up to a certain point where too many immigrants were coming in, Palestine was a peaceful country - except for those English dudes.

-konfusion
Whups, I meant to reply to Bubbalo.

Disregard, unless you are Bubbalo, in which case reply.
Longbow
+163|6656|Odessa, Ukraine
I like the part about lutherans blowing up methodists and russians patroling american streets
LaidBackNinja
Pony Slaystation
+343|6718|Charlie One Alpha

Longbow wrote:

I like the part about lutherans blowing up methodists and russians patroling american streets
Why not catholics and protestants though? But yeah, funny and thought-provoking post.
"If you want a vision of the future, imagine SecuROM slapping your face with its dick -- forever." -George Orwell
m3thod
All kiiiiiiiiinds of gainz
+2,197|6680|UK

Cougar wrote:

Bubbalo wrote:

Iraq, Iran, Afghanistan, Palestine, Egypt, Pakistan and some parts of Saudi, Jordan and Syria.

JahManRed wrote:

Pakistan is Indian Subcontinent.
Blackbelts are just whitebelts who have never quit.
Cougar
Banned
+1,962|6774|Dallas

LaidBackNinja wrote:

Longbow wrote:

Why not catholics and protestants though? But yeah, funny and thought-provoking post.
I'd say Sunni vs Shite is more like Lutheran vs Methodist than a Catholic vs Protestant thing.

m3thod wrote:

Cougar wrote:

Bubbalo wrote:

JahManRed wrote:

Who cares.  They suck, thats what matters.

Last edited by Cougar (2007-06-13 08:05:31)

usmarine
Banned
+2,785|6771

JahManRed wrote:

Barf.

Blame blame blame.  No personal responsibilty.  Blame blame blame.
PureFodder
+225|6295

Cougar wrote:

LaidBackNinja wrote:

Longbow wrote:

I'd say Sunni vs Shite is more like Lutheran vs Methodist than a Catholic vs Protestant thing.

m3thod wrote:

Cougar wrote:

Who cares.  They suck, thats what matters.
To be fair there's a fair collection of countries in Africa, Asia and South America with similar problems. This isn't just a Middle East / Muslim issue.

Last edited by PureFodder (2007-06-13 08:54:45)

oug
Calmer than you are.
+380|6528|Πάϊ

Cougar wrote:

The People In The Middle East Are Insane
...no they're not!...
ƒ³
CameronPoe
+2,925|6565
That's the shithole countries Cougar like Iraq and Afghanistan. I've been to Morocco, Jordan and Turkey and they were all fine. Palestine was admittedly different. I'd say Saudi Arabia is a shithole. Iran is OK, I've had friends who've visited it and said it was fine - really friendly. The UAE, Qatar and Oman are becoming international business centres with gleaming citadel skyscrapers and are relatively safe.

Last edited by CameronPoe (2007-06-13 09:16:32)

Mekstizzle
WALKER
+3,611|6630|London, England

m3thod wrote:

Cougar wrote:

Bubbalo wrote:

JahManRed wrote:

South Asia if you're talking regions, which would then include Afghanistan as part of South Asia and not the ME. No offence but i know Indians don't like being associated with Pakistan. Besides, they're talking about Muslim world. Nowadays the ME is also a just a term for the Muslim world.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greater_Middle_East

All nit picking aside, not all of the ME is insane. Dubai is actually a really good place. Egypt isn't so bad. What you described sounds mainly like Palestine/Lebanon/Iraq/Afghanistan.
m3thod
All kiiiiiiiiinds of gainz
+2,197|6680|UK

Mekstizzle wrote:

m3thod wrote:

Cougar wrote:

Bubbalo wrote:

South Asia if you're talking regions, which would then include Afghanistan as part of South Asia and not the ME. No offence but i know Indians don't like being associated with Pakistan. Besides, they're talking about Muslim world. Nowadays the ME is also a just a term for the Muslim world.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greater_Middle_East

All nit picking aside, not all of the ME is insane. Dubai is actually a really good place. Egypt isn't so bad. What you described sounds mainly like Palestine/Lebanon/Iraq/Afghanistan.
Ya, i don't like being referred to as Indian....it's like calling you French!
Blackbelts are just whitebelts who have never quit.
Ace.O.Lamb
Got Lamb?
+56|6283|Outside your Back window
True, those guys in the middle east havn't progressed since the middle ages
JahManRed
wank
+646|6637|IRELAND

Ace.O.Lamb wrote:

True, those guys in the middle east haven't progressed since the middle ages
True.
Funny how they were the biggest progressor of technology up onto the end of the middle ages. Right about the time of the crusades and the beginning of the wests meddling in their affairs. Then it was to kill them for being none believers, now its for their oil.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard