Microwave
_
+515|6657|Loughborough Uni / Leeds, UK

Zimmer wrote:

I was pretty certain it could only be the mobo.

Well, good luck with your new mobo. Also, ask the dealers to give you compensation for these problems. I am pretty sure they could throw in a Thermalright VGA GTX cooler for you. - If not, shout at them and slap them.
http://www.tekheads.co.uk/s/product?product=607381

Cools your card about 20C on idle and 35C on load. It is a beast.
Genius, great plan!

Thanks for all your help!   Great recommendation with that board....with abit of luck, should be immense!
ghettoperson
+1,943|6651

Petition to have J@A's name changed to James@decent-non-overpriced-non-crap-computer
Scratch[USA]
+105|6549
Make sure you check the QVL on Asus site to make sure your ram is on it.  Also become friendly with the Asus help fourm.  I just got a new Asus MoBo and I spent a lot of time on the site trying to fix my memory issues.  Best of luck to ya.http://vip.asus.com/forum/topic.aspx?board_id=1&model=P5K+Deluxe&SLanguage=en-us

Last edited by Scratch[USA] (2007-06-22 15:22:13)

Zimmer
Un Moderador
+1,688|6757|Scotland

Scratch[USA] wrote:

Make sure you check the QVL on Asus site to make sure your ram is on it.  Also become friendly with the Asus help fourm.  I just got a new Asus MoBo and I spent a lot of time on the site trying to fix my memory issues.  Best of luck to ya.http://vip.asus.com/forum/topic.aspx?board_id=1&model=P5K+Deluxe&SLanguage=en-us
That is rubbish. I am using RAM that isn't on the QVL. The QVL is just a guideline, not really what is actually needed for that board.
Microwave
_
And now for the 3rd revive of this thread!

The new mobo came: Asus PK5 Deluxe (wifi).

And it works!!! ................well, kind of.

I can actually see something on the screen and get into bios. I can also get to the screen where you choose whether you want to start windows in: safe mode, last known good config, start windows normally etc.

But after trying all of these options it just takes me back into the boot loop. I've not actually seen windows yet.

Any ideas?

Might I have to  reformat/do a repair install?

Thanks

Last edited by james@alienware (2007-06-28 13:58:39)

buLLet_t00th
Mr. Boombastic
+178|6444|Stealth City, UK
Are you using an old hard drive with the OS already on it?
Zimmer
Un Moderador
+1,688|6757|Scotland

Check your RAM settings, timings and voltage. Set it manually to the advised settings. That can be causing the loop.

If that doesn't work, then just put in your XP/Vista disc and format with the installation, then do a clean install.
Microwave
_
Ya
Zimmer
Un Moderador
+1,688|6757|Scotland

james@alienware wrote:

Ya
Read post above me.

Do you have the OS disc? Not the recovery one. Or is it a "legal" version?
Microwave
_
Yeah, don't worry, I'm reformatting now with the right disc.

I'll let you know in a bit!
De_Jappe
Triarii
+432|6529|Belgium

yeah, you often have to reinstall windows when you change mother board.
Microwave
_
ZOMG! It's working!

My screen is a very strange blue colour but its definatly windows (needs graphics drivers I think).

Installing SP2 at the moment!
Microwave
_
Everything is now fully working....apart from the optical drives

Sometimes it finds one, sometimes it doesn't....weird!

Still....feels good.

(I can't install BF2 so for demonstration purposes - 250-300fps on counter strike source - full graphics! mmm)

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard