Microwave
_
+515|6625|Loughborough Uni / Leeds, UK
SKIP TO THE LATEST PAGE FOR NEWS!

Oh yes.....you could have seen it coming!

My new (long awaited) computer won't work!  *cries*

I've just installed all the hardware and,

Basically what happens is......

Turn on the powerswtich:

- all the case fans start (apart from the cpu fan - I'm not sure if it comes on till things have got going anyway)
- graphics card fan comes on
- sound card light comes on
- LED's on the front showing HD activity and floppy connection come on
- HD sounds like it's running (I think)

And I can't see anything on the screen.

1) Yes my monitor is plugged in.
2) Yes my monitor is turned on.
3) Yes I have checked the connection from both the cable to the monitor and the cable to the graphics card.

Any ideas?

Plzkthx

Last edited by james@alienware (2007-06-22 09:09:30)

Mitch92uK
aka [DBS]Mitch92uK
+192|6206|United Kingdom
have you checked connections to the graphics card from the mobo/PSU james?

EDIT : is it a new monitor? ie. possibly faulty or is it an old one you konw works?

Last edited by mitch212k_2 (2007-06-08 10:40:19)

Cerpin_Taxt
+155|6173
Clear the CMOS?
Microwave
_
Nope, the monitor has been working ever since I got it, worked with my old setup.

The graphics card has it's 2 PCIE connectors plugged in from the PSU and it is definantly in the slot on the mobo.

Cerpin_Taxt wrote:

Clear the CMOS?
By taking out the motherboard battery?

Last edited by james@alienware (2007-06-08 10:45:19)

Shakez
+39|6140
maybe your cables from the case to mb (power button etc.)
gvers
Bad at BF:BC2
+109|6643|The Real World

Give us the specs processor, motherboard, graphics card etc

Last edited by gvers (2007-06-08 10:47:48)

Microwave
_

Special_Op wrote:

maybe your cables from the case to mb (power button etc.)
No it's not those or else the power button wouldn't work.

gvers wrote:

Give us the specs processor, motherboard, graphics card etc
C2D E6700
Gigabyte GA P35-DQ6
BFG NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GTX

See this thread (when I was happy) if you need more hardware info.

Last edited by james@alienware (2007-06-08 10:50:35)

scottomus0
Teh forum ghey!
+172|6607|Wigan. Manchester. England.
you said your cpu fan doesnt work though. wont that mean the cpu isnt working
ic|shiney
+17|6524|leeds.England
is your psu big enough?
Microwave
_

ic|shiney wrote:

is your psu big enough?
750W   it definatly is fine, I checked all the ratings etc.

scottomus0 wrote:

you said your cpu fan doesnt work though. wont that mean the cpu isnt working
Don't scare me

I dunno.....would that mean it isn't working?

EDIT
The cpu fan is plugged into "CPU fan" on the motherboard and it wont run.

However when it's plugged into "system fan" on the motherboard it runs on full power.

Last edited by james@alienware (2007-06-08 10:54:39)

scottomus0
Teh forum ghey!
+172|6607|Wigan. Manchester. England.
you sure its fitted correctly?

all he cables etc
TheEternalPessimist
Wibble
+412|6590|Mhz

Firstly, your CPU fan should 100% deffinatly be working from the second you turn the PC on, get it fixed.

Secondly if there's hard drive activity and what not but no image on the screen then your PC has managed to get through POST and is trying to load windows, which 90% rules out all of the hardware in your PC, basically your graphics card is fux0red, or you're like me and stuck the monitor on the secondary DVI port or something else has gone wrong with the graphics card/monitor. you did remeber to connect power to the graphics card didn't you?

Post your rig specs as well. EDIT: Nvm found the specs on the other thread

Last edited by TheEternalPessimist (2007-06-08 10:55:02)

Microwave
_

TheEternalPessimist wrote:

Firstly, your CPU fan should 100% deffinatly be working from the second you turn the PC on, get it fixed.
The fan works when it is plugged into "system fan" opposed to "cpu fan" on the motherboard

Secondly if there's hard drive activity and what not but no image on the screen then your PC has managed to get through POST and is trying to load windows, which 90% rules out all of the hardware in your PC, basically your graphics card is fux0red, or you're like me and stuck the monitor on the secondary DVI port or something else has gone wrong with the graphics card/monitor. you did remeber to connect power to the graphics card didn't you?

'Definatly' nothing wrong with the monitor because it shows "no signal input".
TheEternalPessimist
Wibble
+412|6590|Mhz

Does your graphics card have 2 DVI ports? And if so did you try the other one? Also double check the 2 PCIe power cables, they're fuckers to get in usually and quite often you think they're in only to find out they're not.
ReTox
+100|6469|State of RETOXification

james@alienware wrote:

The fan works when it is plugged into "system fan" opposed to "cpu fan" on the motherboard

Do you have all the power connectors being used?  There is more than just the big rectangle one to fully power motherboards.  You should see a square (4 pin - 2x2) plug with yellow and black wires.  It plugs in close to the CPU.  Make sure it is attached.

Edit -

Unfortunately, If you turned on the PC without the CPU fan working and the chip got full power it is most likely toasted.  It only takes a few seconds without cooling to fry modern CPUs with their heat buildup.

Last edited by ReTox (2007-06-08 11:05:05)

Microwave
_

Does your graphics card have 2 DVI ports? And if so did you try the other one? Also double check the 2 PCIe power cables, they're fuckers to get in usually and quite often you think they're in only to find out they're not.
Yeah it's got 2 DVI inputs on the back but I have to use this connector thing that came with the card to plug in my monitor.

Yeah....I'm sure they're in
TheEternalPessimist
Wibble
+412|6590|Mhz

ReTox wrote:

james@alienware wrote:

Do you have all the power connectors being used?  There is more than just the big rectangle one to fully power motherboards.  You should see a square (4 pin - 2x2) plug with yellow and black wires.  It plugs in close to the CPU.  Make sure it is attached.
That could well be it, might explain why the CPU Fan power connector isn't working too.
Microwave
_

ReTox wrote:

james@alienware wrote:

That could well be it, might explain why the CPU Fan power connector isn't working too.
The 4pin wasn't plugged in. It is now, however it's still no different.

The fan still won't run in the "CPU fan" position, and still does run in the "system fan" position...

Last edited by james@alienware (2007-06-08 11:12:15)

gvers
+109|6643|The Real World

ReTox wrote:

james@alienware wrote:

On that motherboard and PSU it is likely to be an 8 pin connector.

So as power goes you should have
1x24 power to motherboard
1x8pin or 4 pin to motherboard by cpu
2x6pin to grapjics card

If you get the cpu heatsink on incorectly it can cause the machine not to start so you might want to check that.

As others have said check you are using the correct dvi port on the graphics card.

Build it flat on a desk with just the CPU, Memory, Graphics card and PSU. Take care to insulate the bottom of the motherboard i.e. stick it on its cardboard box. Do you have an old pci graphics card?

edit

Also have you used the blue graphics card slot not the other one?

Last edited by gvers (2007-06-08 11:15:02)

Microwave
_

gvers wrote:

On that motherboard and PSU it is likely to be an 8 pin connector.

So as power goes you should have
1x24 power to motherboard
1x8pin or 4 pin to motherboard by cpu
2x6pin to grapjics card

If you get the cpu heatsink on incorectly it can cause the machine not to start so you might want to check that.

As others have said check you are using the correct dvi port on the graphics card.

Build it flat on a desk with just the CPU, Memory, Graphics card and PSU. Take care to insulate the bottom of the motherboard i.e. stick it on its cardboard box. Do you have an old pci graphics card?

edit

Also have you used the blue graphics card slot not the other one?
The motherboard has a 4pin connector which is now plugged in and doesn't change anything.

I have the 24pin, the 4pin into the mobo and the 2x 6pin into the graphics card.

What I'm wondering about..... the back of my graphics card has to DVI-I ports, I have to use a connector that came with the card to plug my monitor into, could that be causing any issues?
gvers
+109|6643|The Real World

It could have you tried bith DVI ports and did you get 1 or 2 connectors?

Just check giga byte web site and it has 8 pin power connector at the end of the silent pipe by the keyboard etc. It may have a cover covering 4 pins that you remove for the 8 pin connector. You don need to use the 4 pin molex by the 24 pin connector.

http://www.giga-byte.com.tw/Products/Vi … uctID=2532

Last edited by gvers (2007-06-08 11:27:09)

Stormscythe
Aiming for the head
+88|6520|EUtopia | Austria
Congratulations!

You are one of the 10% of DQ6 board users who experience this problem! It's time to RMA, the 2nd board might also refuse to work, but with your 3rd one you will probably have one that works very well and oc's like hell

Edit: I should have added, that Gigabyte knows very well about this problem and that there's no other solution that to send the board back. You will, of course, get a new one - which shouldn't even cost you the shipping fee

Last edited by Stormscythe (2007-06-08 11:32:51)

Microwave
_

gvers wrote:

It could have you tried bith DVI ports and did you get 1 or 2 connectors?

Just check giga byte web site and it has 8 pin power connector at the end of the silent pipe by the keyboard etc. It may have a cover covering 4 pins that you remove for the 8 pin connector. You don need to use the 4 pin molex by the 24 pin connector.

http://www.giga-byte.com.tw/Products/Vi … uctID=2532
Yep I've just realised it has a cover over 4 of the 8pins (what's the point?)

Tried plugging an 8pin connector in - it made no difference

(I've tried both DVI ports and I only got one connector).

Last edited by james@alienware (2007-06-08 11:33:44)

Teknoir
+5|6616|St. Paul, Minnesota
Is there any chance you happen to have another monitor you can plug in just to see if anything happens?  Even a cheap one.  I've run into situations where the screen resolution wasn't set properly (or to one it didn't like) and wouldn't show anything until I adjusted the settings down.  Sometimes older CRTs are good for some things.

Just a thought.

Last edited by Teknoir (2007-06-08 11:36:17)

Microwave
_
About the 4/8pin motherboard connector:

I've just read in the manual:

"Do not insert the power supply cables into pins under the protective covers when using a power supply providing a 2x2 12V and a 2x10 power connector."

Any relevance?

@ Stormscythe:

What's the known problem?

Last edited by james@alienware (2007-06-08 11:39:44)

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard