CloakedStarship
+76|6564
This is my guide to Anti-Tanking, based on over 450 hours using the kit, and over 25,000 kills with it.  I will show you the strategies that have made this kit such a success in my hands.

Before I explain anything, it is important to note that to fire you are armed with a missile, the SRAW (USMC) or the ERYX (MEC/PLA), you must first click, and then hold down your mouse button to be able to guide your missile.

Tanks

YOU are the main unit with which to combat tanks.  Some kid might get lucky with an AT mine or catch a tank off guard with C4, but neither kit will be able to kill the tank with such efficiency or speed like the Anti-Tank kit.

Your Primary and only weapon with which to kill the tank is your Anti Tank Missile, the SRAW (USMC) or the ERYX (PLA/MEC).   Now unless you want an example in what Tiananmen Square was like, it would be best if you did not stand out in the middle of the road shooting missiles at the oncoming armor, that would be bad.  Take cover, any cover will do, a small tree can deflect a tank shell and its machine gun fire.  Running on either sides of buildings, or being on top of a building are your best bet of staying alive during this conflict.
Where you hit the tank is very important, the following screenshots will show you where the least, and most
damage can be done.

The Front/Rear Treads are your best bet, two hits in these spots will destroy a tank:
https://img45.imageshack.us/img45/1307/tanktreadsjz5.th.png
The Rear Armor is your next best bet, two hits can also destroy a tank from this position:
https://img164.imageshack.us/img164/5817/tankbackbf5.th.png
The Top Armor is the only other spot on the tank where you can get a two hit kill, unfortunately the tank is much taller than you, and you most likely will not get this kind of shot, but nevertheless:
https://img454.imageshack.us/img454/3460/tanktopdb1.th.png
Those are the three best spots to get a kill with, the following are shots that will do significantly less damage to the tank.
The Side Armor will allow you a three shot kill:
https://img160.imageshack.us/img160/228/tanksidedf1.th.png
The Rear Turret will allow you a three shot kill:
https://img480.imageshack.us/img480/3360/tankturretrearzl7.th.png
The Front and Side Turret will give you a four shot kill:
https://img480.imageshack.us/img480/4618/tankturretfrontsidets2.th.png
The Front Armor will give you a four shot kill:
https://img501.imageshack.us/img501/7658/tankfrontdm0.th.png

Vehicles

Vehicles are easy prey for the properly trained Anti-Tanker.  There are two types of vehicles to worry about.  Light Transport, and Heavy Transport.

Light Transport

Light Transport is actually more of a problem then heavy transport.  Here we will discuss the DPV and the FAV.  Both are deadly fast, and both tend to try to run you over.  One missile is enough to send all their occupants to the respawn menu.  There is one issue however, at maximum speed, when these cars are coming at you, missiles tend to go through them.

When a DPV or FAV is coming directly at you, your best bet is to aim your missile at the front bumper.
https://img159.imageshack.us/img159/7526/dpvfrontrz4.th.png
I however recommend jumping out of the way of the oncoming vehicle, because once it passes you, you have a shot on the car’s rear, which the missile will (almost) always register as hitting.
https://img159.imageshack.us/img159/9746/dpvbacklw6.th.png

Heavy Transport

Heavy Transport is big, bulky, slow, and maneuvers poorly.  The vehicles in this category are the HMMWV, Vodnik, and the NJ 2046.  These vehicles will die in two hits, there are no special tricks to destroying them faster, however people tend to stay in these vehicle’s turret’s to kill people.  With these three shots, you can easily eliminate anyone camping inside one of these transports.  I of course talk of using your missile.

Front:  This is the most difficult shot, you have to hit in-between the small area left for the gunner to see, it is not as hard as it may look, and will result in the gunner’s death.
https://img501.imageshack.us/img501/8524/vodnikfronthc6.th.png
Back:  This is the gunner’s most exposed area, in each vehicle there is a large open area where anyone can walk up and shoot the gunner.  From a distance, the missile works like a charm.
https://img159.imageshack.us/img159/9867/vodnikbacktl1.th.png
Side:  This approach lets you shoot at the side of the gunner’s face, it’s an easy shot, just like the back.
https://img528.imageshack.us/img528/6858/vodniksideav9.th.png

Helicopters

Attack Helicopters

Attack Helicopters are very frail but very deadly, but from the proper position, you will be able to take them down.  Unfortunately my words can’t make anyone an expert.  The main thing to learn is that you have to lead.  You must predict where the chopper will be and how long it will take for your missile to get there. 

Your working on three axis’s (grammar?), that baby can move up, down, left, right, forward and backward.  To ease the leading process, your best bet is to try and eliminate one or even two axis’s if possible.  Generally, you’re going to want to place yourself so that the chopper passes right over you without seeing you, so that you can shoot in a straight line, instead of having to attempt to guide the missile left to right.  However I reiterate, it takes much practice and experience to be able to destroy active attack choppers.
All attack choppers will be destroyed in two missile hits.

Transport Helicopters

There’s not much to talk about in this area.  Transports have no real offensive capability, you could be five feet away from their turrets and stand a good chance of living if it is in the air.  Transports will take about three missiles to be destroyed.  If it is full, then shooting in the passenger area might get you a lucky kill or two.

Jets

If you think you’re the shit, then heres your challenge, destroy any jet/bomber moving at full speed.  It is damn near impossible.  I have done it three times, it takes a wild degree of lead on the target, and each time I had to have the jet coming almost right at me.  One hit will do it, but this is only for the pros.  Practice on helicopters if you think you can eventually get lucky enough to take down a jet.

Infantry Combat

Now I have heard all this bull about Anti-Tank not giving much points.  I however believe that this kit will reward you more combat points than any other if used correctly.  Here I will discuss the methods I use to bulldoze the masses.

DAO-12

https://img404.imageshack.us/img404/6195/dao12lw1.png

If you’re not going to use this gun, then stop reading now, because this is about to advocate the DAO over any other weapon.  That’s right, over any other weapon.  I have tried all of the stock guns for each army, and the P-90.  In my opinion, none of those weapons hold a candle to the DAO.

The Golden Rule about the DAO-12 is to always reload when you have spare time.  If you just expended half of your ammo and have a break in the action then reload.  If you don't have enough time to finish your reload, switch weapons and then switch back to your DAO, and you will be able to fire again.

The general rule of thumb when using the DAO is that within 5 feet, you can get a kill with about 3 or 4 rounds.  Between 5-10 feet will take about 6 rounds, and if your anywhere between 10-20 feet, you could probably get a kill by emptying the whole damn thing.  The important thing to know is that the DAO is glitched, once you’ve dispensed of about 10/12 rounds, the gun will stop shooting for a brief period.  If you’ve reached this time I suggest you reload for a few seconds, get about 5/12 in there, because once you reload you can finish all of the rounds up.

Close the distance.  It doesn't matter how close or far you are from your enemy, you will always be moving toward him to get the kill.  If you’re very far away, I’d recommend bunny hopping your way up there at an angle so that you can effectively kill him.  If your very close, you will continue to move at him, strafing, until you get the kill.  Now if you’re standing right next to the guy you’re not getting any closer, within 5 feet you don’t need to close the distance anymore, just strafe.

SRAW/ERYX

https://img258.imageshack.us/img258/8333/srawoy6.png

This gun is god’s gift to you, go to church, he has proven his existence.  This missile moves how you want it to, and will kill any person upon contact.  There are three types of people you’re going to hit, those who are prone, moving, or people at point blank range.

Prone

Prone is easy, the enemy is not moving and is unable to move at a quantifiable speed, easy kill.  Just point and click.  This is good when your enemy is out of the range of your DAO.

Moving

Moving people are much harder to hit.  Here’s the trick.  The hitbox on any person lags behind him, just slightly.  If someone is moving left, their hitbox is slightly to the right, and vice-versa.  Generally you’re going to want to shoot directly at the person and try to follow him if he’s not sprinting.  If someone is running toward you or away from you without strafing much, then again, all you have to do is point and click and he will be dead.

Point Blank

Now any intelligent person will say, “Why would you shoot a missile at point blank when you could just use your DAO?”  They would be right, except for the situations where, perhaps your preparing to shoot a tank and an enemy comes around the corner, or you’re out of ammo in your DAO.  At point blank, you’re gonna be right up in your enemy’s face.  If you shoot him in the body, the impact will kill you as well, so the trick is, shoot his feet.  If you shoot the enemy right where his feet are, or will be, then he will die and you will not.

Personal Favorite

Here I will discuss how to effectively take the two primary weapons you have, and effectively turn them into a high end point machine.

Now get prepared for a shocker, when doing infantry combat as Anti-Tank, your objective is to die.  You are going to throw yourself into the most hopeless situation, perhaps in the middle of 5 people.  What you’re going to do is kill a majority of them because that’s how great this kit is.  Generally you’re going to want to find this herd while they are capping a flag.  First off you will run in with your missile, and pop some dude that is lying prone.  Then you switch to your DAO and wipe out whoever else you can before they kill you.  Most times the large group will outnumber you so that you will only get 1 or 2 kills.  But if done properly, you can get 3 or 4 kills, and perhaps kill all the people.

Disclaimer:  This will not work if you cannot effectively combine the use of the DAO-12, SRAW/ERYX, Bunny Hopping, and Proper Aim.

Scavenging

The Solo AT will run out of health fast, and ammo faster.  Thankfully most of your enemies will either be spamming nades, or spamming revives.  Once you kill them, grab their kit and throw out your med/ammo bag, and you'll be golden.  Scavenging is vital to any Anti-Tanker for prolonged survival.

Conclusion

There you have it, everything I think you need to know about the use of the AT Kit.  It is a point getter.  If my experience says anything, then the best maps to use the kit on for excellent infantry combat are Sharqi Peninsula, Road to Jalalabad, and yes, even Strike at Karkand. 

If you want to go on any major armor map, then you’re going to need to go AT if you don’t have an engineer buddy to repair with, because once your armor is gone, you will still need offensive capability against the hoard of armor that probably just destroyed your tank.

Thanks for reading this guide, I hope it helps everyone out a bit.

- CloakedStarship

(Credits to BF2 Wiki for use of the DAO-12 and SRAW images)

Last edited by CloakedStarship (2007-11-25 08:33:15)

FatherTed
xD
+3,936|6499|so randum
V good guide, though i would have liked to see some input with regards to the SMG's, as often they can be more useful than the DAO. +1
Small hourglass island
Always raining and foggy
Use an umbrella
-[Silver.Inc*
BF2s AU Server Admin
+315|6579|Melbourne, Australia.

fatherted13 wrote:

SMG's, as often they can be more useful than the DAO. +1
MECs PP-19 is the only SMG that comes close to the dao

...nice guide, +1
floodgate
+2|6187
sraw sniping ftw
necroyeti1612
+6|6182|Vienna, AUT
You forgot to mention, that you can kill an attack choppers pilot and gunner by hitting the cockpit with your missle. Functions also with heavy transport and the transport chopper.
But good guid anyway! +1
AWSMFOX
Banned
+405|6462|A W S M F O X
Chinese SMG > DAO
~FuzZz~
.yag era uoy fi siht deaR
+422|6321|Orrstrayleea
Nice guide +1
~FuzZz~
.yag era uoy fi siht deaR
+422|6321|Orrstrayleea

JET_G raidensen wrote:

Chinese SMG > DAO
Medium - long range= Chinese SMG
Close range= DAO
Nikola Bathory
Karkand T-90 0wnage
+163|6785|Bulgaria
oh noes! I am an armor whore!!!!!!! Just bring it!
Fenris_GreyClaw
Real Хорошо
+826|6518|Adelaide, South Australia

Nikola Bathory wrote:

oh noes! I am an armor whore!!!!!!! Just bring it!
You're not gonna live long if four guys team up and follow this advice.

(Trust me, it happens; hence my crappy armor ratios)
globefish23
sophisticated slacker
+334|6322|Graz, Austria
Very good guide! +1
Deserves to be in the Wiki. Go Snake!

CloakedStarship wrote:

you must first click, and then hold down your mouse button to be able to guide your missile.
That's not correct.
You can also guide the missile without holding the left mouse button or without zooming in at all.
Guiding is much more precise with the help of the crosshair though.
senor_fulff
+25|6758|Yorkshire, UK.

-[Silver.Inc* wrote:

fatherted13 wrote:

...nice guide, +1
nah P90 ftw!...
Fearmesnipers
+41|6444|Wales

-[Silver.Inc* wrote:

fatherted13 wrote:

...nice guide, +1
Not really if you are playing zatar etc your saying you would want a DOA over SMG?
max
Vela Incident
+1,652|6566|NYC / Hamburg

just some little additions.

- When fighting tanks at close ranges, I usually just pop out from cover, shoot the missile without the sights and pop back behind cover. You might need 1 missile more to take it down, but the chances of dieing are a lot lower.

- If you work as a squad of 2, you are nearly invincible. Stick together and communicate over TS/Vent. ATing is the kit which will require the most teamwork. Let your friend know at what you are shooing so he can act accordingly (i.e. shoot at the same target if it's armored, engage something else if you are fighting against a group of infantry). Most tanks should be down the moment you see them. Snipers are pretty screwed of 2 missiles come at them and will usually panic. If a whole enemy squad is coming towards you, you should be able to kill at least 4 guys before they are in a dangerous proximity. And after that 2xDAO is super deadly.

- cooperate closely with your commander. You will need supply drops all the time to stock up on ammo and health.

- I disagree about going on jihad missions. Way better to work together with another AT guy and finish the round with next to no deaths

- camping close to an enemy airfield can be advantageous. You can easily get any jets/choppers taking off and resupplying choppers (and even jets to a degree).

- P90 can be useful for more spread out maps like zatar and stalemate. I've had great success with it there.
once upon a midnight dreary, while i pron surfed, weak and weary, over many a strange and spurious site of ' hot  xxx galore'. While i clicked my fav'rite bookmark, suddenly there came a warning, and my heart was filled with mourning, mourning for my dear amour, " 'Tis not possible!", i muttered, " give me back my free hardcore!"..... quoth the server, 404.
docnutz
+39|6758|B O S T ON area
Love the guide but hate the homage to the DAO, smg's, once u learn them, will smoke someone holdin the DAO EVEN UP CLOSE!

+1
Skorpy-chan
+127|6344|Twyford, UK
Hmm. Good, but I'd like to see more on positioning and tactics. So far, you're repeating nothing special anti-armour wise.

However, some things I disagree with:
- FAVs. I find it best to aim for the side, or to try and steer the missile down into the front just before the driver.
- Corners are winners when evading. Hang just by the corner, and they'll come charging for you and smack into the building, meaning a stopped target.

- Jets. Sure, it's impossible to hit them at full speed, but they're an easy kill if you catch one taking off or reloading. Takeoff is the most vulnerable point, so you can lurk near the runway after you see one shot down and pop it as it goes. Reloading is harder, but they fly reeeeally low.
- Also, on the right server, you can find a bunch of idiots waiting for the jet to spawn. After the hustle to get it and the obligatory teamkills, you can charge in with the DAO12 and blast them.

- The DAO12. I find it best to reload whenever you have a spare second. If you interrupt the animation, it carries on with however many you've loaded so far. Thus, in a flag cap, you can practically double your clip size by performing reloads on the fly.
- Intelligent use of cover in a flag-blitz is also handy. Run in, blast someone point blank, run out reloading. Return, repeat, until they or you die.
- Click speed is also critical. Semi auto means it fires as fast as you can hit the button.
globefish23
sophisticated slacker
+334|6322|Graz, Austria

max wrote:

- When fighting tanks at close ranges, I usually just pop out from cover, shoot the missile without the sights and pop back behind cover. You might need 1 missile more to take it down, but the chances of dieing are a lot lower.
Very true.
You can also do this at corners. Shoot the missile and strafe back behind the corner.

In both cases you can guide the missile blindly into its target if you aim a little higher or to the sides respectively.
If you then duck behind the cover or strafe behind the corner, the small movement should be enough to hit.
Drexel
+43|6475|Philadelphia

max wrote:

- If you work as a squad of 2, you are nearly invincible. Stick together and communicate over TS/Vent. ATing is the kit which will require the most teamwork. Let your friend know at what you are shooing so he can act accordingly (i.e. shoot at the same target if it's armored, engage something else if you are fighting against a group of infantry). Most tanks should be down the moment you see them. Snipers are pretty screwed of 2 missiles come at them and will usually panic. If a whole enemy squad is coming towards you, you should be able to kill at least 4 guys before they are in a dangerous proximity. And after that 2xDAO is super deadly.
Absolutely right!  My close friend and I are becoming that all elusive "Expert AT"  We can take a tank out before he spots us, infantry is nothing with a DAO and a P90 combo.  We've gotten to the point where we each can hit a chopper flying at full speeds, instantly killing it.  We've also played together and talk so much that we learned to fire our weapons almost instantaneously.  You cannot imagine how many games 2 lonely AT players have turned around after joining halfway through the round.  (We've also been banned from servers because the admins claim we have some sort of no reload SRAWs....)
Snake
Missing, Presumed Dead
+1,046|6565|England

Good guide, but its missing the RPG

And the P90 beats the DAO anyday imo

globefish23 wrote:

Deserves to be in the Wiki. Go Snake!
Errr, we already have one:
http://wiki.bf2s.com/tactical-guides/antitank
CloakedStarship
+76|6564
Thanks for all of the feedback guys, I'd like to respond to a few things.

necroyeti1612 wrote:

You forgot to mention, that you can kill an attack choppers pilot and gunner by hitting the cockpit with your missle.
You are absolutely right.  I focused on a chopper while up, and while i have gotten lucky several times and shot out the pilot/gunner while in mid flight, it's rare.  But this works beautifully when the chopper is motionless.

globefish23 wrote:

CloakedStarship wrote:

you must first click, and then hold down your mouse button to be able to guide your missile.
That's not correct.
You can also guide the missile without holding the left mouse button or without zooming in at all.
This is also right, but to an extent.  I'd say for about the first hundred hours i played the game, i didn't know i could hold the mouse button down to hold the guide.  The missile WILL guide after you fire, but only for a few seconds, as opposed to the length of time you would have control over the missile if you held down your mouse button.  Also the missile will guide without the scope if you hold your mouse button down, but the degree of control you lose makes it not worth it, scope in if your gonna try to get an accurate shot.

max wrote:

- I disagree about going on jihad missions. Way better to work together with another AT guy and finish the round with next to no deaths
You seem like the teamwork guy to me.  I would fully enjoy working with a squad full of AT men, unfortunatly the group of guys i play with, play every other kit but AT.  Its great for the revives and finishing what i started if i died, but doesn't substitute good teamwork with other AT men.

max wrote:

- cooperate closely with your commander. You will need supply drops all the time to stock up on ammo and health.
I cant remember the last time i saw a pub commander that knew his scan from his arty.  Never rely on the commander, if you see a supply box then rearm immediately because you just got lucky.  I forgot to include this in the guide which i will probably update.

Scavenging:  The Solo AT will run out of health fast, and ammo faster.  Thankfully most of your enemys will either be spamming nades, or spamming revives.  Once you kill them, grab their kit and throw out your med/ammo bag, and you'll be golden.

max wrote:

- P90 can be useful for more spread out maps like zatar and stalemate. I've had great success with it there.
One of the points i was trying to make is, to make up in distance what the DAO lacks, with your uber missile.

Skorpy-chan wrote:

Hmm. Good, but I'd like to see more on positioning and tactics. So far, you're repeating nothing special anti-armour wise.
Theres no super special way to kill a tank, unless you can convert your SRAW into a TV Missile.  I supplied you with which spots will do the most/least damage.  Where you are when your going to take on a tank is up to you, and i did mention that it would be best to be running around a building or on top of one.

Skorpy-chan wrote:

- FAVs. I find it best to aim for the side, or to try and steer the missile down into the front just before the driver.
This is very true, side shots will almost always get you a kill.  However the situation i was explaining involved a car trying to run you over, with a good chance of your missile flying straight through it.

Skorpy-chan wrote:

- Jets. Sure, it's impossible to hit them at full speed, but they're an easy kill if you catch one taking off or reloading. Takeoff is the most vulnerable point, so you can lurk near the runway after you see one shot down and pop it as it goes. Reloading is harder, but they fly reeeeally low.
- Also, on the right server, you can find a bunch of idiots waiting for the jet to spawn. After the hustle to get it and the obligatory teamkills, you can charge in with the DAO12 and blast them.
You can make the spawn camping guide

Skorpy-chan wrote:

- The DAO12. I find it best to reload whenever you have a spare second. If you interrupt the animation, it carries on with however many you've loaded so far. Thus, in a flag cap, you can practically double your clip size by performing reloads on the fly.
Thats the golden rule of the DAO, and I'm horribly embarrassed that i forgot to put it in there.

Skorpy-chan wrote:

- Click speed is also critical. Semi auto means it fires as fast as you can hit the button.
Also a very important thing to note.  The DAO fires as fast or slow as you want it to, but trust me, you can empty the barrel in 3 seconds if your hard pressed.

Snake wrote:

Good guide, but its missing the RPG
meh, I don't play enough special forces for the RPG to be important to me, although i do have oodles of fun with it whenever i do.  But for the record, Vanilla guide only

Generic Person wrote:

*Some Gun* is better than the DAO
I am just going to have to disagree on that one

Edit:  Oh, wiki would be cool, but it is hardly a comprehensive guide.  This is AT My Way.

Last edited by CloakedStarship (2007-06-05 12:23:26)

David.P
Banned
+649|6272

fatherted13 wrote:

V good guide, though i would have liked to see some input with regards to the SMG's, as often they can be more useful than the DAO. +1
Skorpy-chan
+127|6344|Twyford, UK

CloakedStarship wrote:

Theres no super special way to kill a tank, unless you can convert your SRAW into a TV Missile.  I supplied you with which spots will do the most/least damage.  Where you are when your going to take on a tank is up to you, and i did mention that it would be best to be running around a building or on top of one.
Yeah, but what about the tactics for changing cover, and which types of cover to select? They make a difference, and there need to be more competent AT players who know how to do this.

Another point:
A good thing for AT to do is to ride around on the machinegun of your team's tank. If you encounter infantry, you can mow them down from long range. If you encounter armour, you can generally hop out and steal the kill(s) from the driver, or at least get an assist.
Cheap but handy.

But I think I SHOULD start compiling a guide on low-down and dirty tactics.
cowami
OY, BITCHTITS!
+1,106|6288|Noo Yawk, Noo Yawk

I, THE#LORD#OF#SRAWs, officially endorse this product.

Godspeed to our kind.

(And yes, I tend only to whore anti-tank on infantry only. Go figure)
https://i.imgur.com/PfIpcdn.gif
Tjasso
the "Commander"
+102|6522|the Netherlands
nice guide im using the AT a lot cause its the last kkit i go for expert

like it alot allthough im not that good at holding aim on target and moving/guiding the rocket

i prefer the old RPG on Mass /Surge ... close fire ... hit/run

goodgame

p.s DAO 12 >> iron gator ...viewing deck /stairs/hangar stairs to mess hall you can always here them squads talk in the stairs below or above you ...LOADING !!

Last edited by Tjasso (2007-06-05 16:33:03)

Leatherneck2869
+4|6326
Very nice guide, One thing I'd add though is a good trick when firing at a tank or APC is to aim above them and then, once the missile is about 1/2 to 2/3 of the way there, aim directly at it. That way they've less time to react and you've more time to get back into cover. This is, of course, more useful for longer shots while they're stationary, at shorter ranges you might as well just fire and forget. It takes a bit of practice before you get good at judging how far the missile has to go before it hits, but once you get it down, it makes hitting them much easier since you don't have to compensate for them moving.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard