Parker
isteal
+1,452|6395|The Gem Saloon
Ty, thanks for specifying......the fact comment wasnt directed specifically at you, it was just a general thing that happened to be after your post.

as for the geneva convention.....its outdated and needs to be replaced, thats my only feelings on it.

as for torture, i have never thought that torture provides any real info.....EXCEPT when sensory deprivation is used. i havent heard anything come out of gitmo like that. but like you said, the truth at gitmo is a tricky thing to find.

as i said on page 1....do i think its right? no. do i think its fair? no, but nothing about war is fair, and they decided to play the game, this is just one of the options that could happen to them.
imortal
+240|6666|Austin, TX

Ty wrote:

Gitmo is not your average prison, not even your average prison for the worst of the worst.

People are being held and tortured there this fact cannot be disputed. One may say that they get meals and freedom of religion and that's all very hospitable, but torture does occur. As everyone knows torturing prisoners is against the Geneva Convention, but here's an interesting factoid, there are no prisoners at Guantanamo Bay. Extremely clever the way they have been declared "enemy combatants", not prisoners, an ingenious way to get round those annoying parts of the Geneva Convention which of course does not say anything about torturing enemy combatants now does it?
Actually, they are held under the title of EPW, Enemy Prisoner of War.  This is a status in the geneva convention.  They are not 'prisoners,' because it is a detainment facility run by the the department of defense, not the department of corrections or justice.

As to how torture is viewed in the Geneva convention, what they do is not to obtain confessions, but to draw information that may be of strategic or tactical use in the current conflict.  And if you think this 'white torture' is seriously bad, you need to get out more.  Pull out the history books.  Look how the inquisition handled people they declared heritics or witches.  Look at the torture inflicted by North Vietnamese on American pilots in Vietnam.  Look at the middle east, how they treat each other as a normal part of business.  American detainment facilities are luxury hotels compared to what many of these people have gone through.

Now, more fun on the Geneva convention.  soldiers involved in hostilities MUST wear an established and recognizable uniform, MUST carry an identification card with that soldiers name, military affiliation, and geneva convention POW catagory (1, 2 or 3.  1 is enlisted, 2 is officer and NCO, 3 is special, such as medics or chaplains).  Failure to follow these means that person captured can be treated as a spy and SHOT OUT OF HAND.  No trial, no detainment, no muss, just a bloodstain and a shallow grave, and it is perfectly legal, so long as they were bearing arms against another countries military.  The French resistance from WW2 had absolutely NO protection under the Geneva Convention.  Spies on either side have NO protection.

This was written into the Geneva convention because it was known even then that the convention only works if both sides are using it.  The entire Geneva convention is based on reciprocity, that if one sides act like decent people, that the other side has to as well.  The results of breaking the geneva convention had to be so horrid that noone would want to break it. 

http://www.warriorsfortruth.com/geneva- … rules.html

yes, this is a biased website.  I am aknowledging that right up front.  However, it does raise a very good issue.
M.O.A.B
'Light 'em up!'
+1,220|6224|Escea

imortal wrote:

Now, more fun on the Geneva convention.  soldiers involved in hostilities MUST wear an established and recognizable uniform, MUST carry an identification card with that soldiers name, military affiliation, and geneva convention POW catagory (1, 2 or 3.  1 is enlisted, 2 is officer and NCO, 3 is special, such as medics or chaplains).  Failure to follow these means that person captured can be treated as a spy and SHOT OUT OF HAND.  No trial, no detainment, no muss, just a bloodstain and a shallow grave, and it is perfectly legal, so long as they were bearing arms against another countries military.  The French resistance from WW2 had absolutely NO protection under the Geneva Convention.  Spies on either side have NO protection.
I knew there was a bit like that in the Geneva somewhere, good find.
HunterOfSkulls
Rated EC-10
+246|6280

=JoD=Corithus wrote:

Lol.  I think I made the wittle guy angwy.....
I do so love it when people post purely from emotion without any factual or logical base, it makes things so much easier.....thanks "HunterOfSkulls" , lol.  You did more for my arguement than I ever could.
Yeah, you got me pegged there, I am angry. It angers me that a nation that was supposed to be founded on independence, freedom and subservience of government to the will of its people still manages to spawn people like yourself on such a regular basis. People with a childlike obedience to government and a primitive and unrealistic black/white good/evil worldview that allows them to accept the idea that a huge group of people could be monolithically evil. People who can actually use the word "extermination" and mean it. People who can justify short-sighted and dangerous idiocy like this because "they're the bad guys" and then claim other people are arguing purely from emotion without factual or logical base. Well good luck to you and may your chains always be as comfortable as they are now.

Kmarion wrote:

There is no doubt in my mind that this has happened. I would like to see the evidence that this is happening "a lot". Maybe this is why so many have been released? Either way we just don't know anything beyond speculation.
Unfortunately we find out about this shit third-hand at best. Our government still isn't very good at the whole responsibility or admission of guilt thing.

Kmarion wrote:

The possibility of having an end to hostilities in a war against an abstract idea is ridiculous. So yes, I agree.
It's only ridiculous to us. It's not ridiculous to people invested in the idea of holding on to the powers war against an abstract idea gives them.

Kmarion wrote:

I was a little too broad in my wording. I was speaking directly to the point of Habeas Corpus. Many of the detainees are not on trial. I think that's part of the beef the civil rights people have (Charge them or release them).
Actually as I understand it, the "Ha ha, no habeas corpus for you" argument is being applied to the ones that are being tried. This, as well as the denial of counsel is the center of the civil rights arguments. As I said, the US government seems to want everything; they want to try them criminally but without any of the rights and protections a defendant in a criminal trial is supposed to have.

Kmarion wrote:

The topic seems to be suggesting that these prisoners are so mistreated that suicide is the only answer. I guess no one can really judge what it must be like to be in a situation unless they have personally experienced it, but I just don't see it from my view (Comfortably behind my computer drinking my Starbuck's).
Myself, I think it's a misguided and ultimately pointless display of defiance. I think they're doing it to show their resolve mostly. However I really don't think it's the Club Med-type getaway people are trying to spin it as and I wouldn't be surprised if some of the suicides are the product of extreme psychological stress.

Kmarion wrote:

Please don't think I am defending this. I have stated numerous times that this is very sketchy. What I am trying to explain is that what we are doing has been done throughout history in nearly every War. However, with the uncertainty of determining who the enemy is, and the authority the President (as CIC) now has to declare any combatant unlawful (No Geneva convention protection), we are loosing our system of balancing powers.
No worries about that, I know you wouldn't defend this nonsense. You see that the problem is far deeper than "Hurrrr, we hate teh Bush", it's about losing what little oversight we've had over our government and our government accruing a level of power and control over us that is very dangerous.

[TUF wrote:

Catbox]spin it how you like... lol...  Big mean US is making nice people into terrorists by keeping them at Gitmo...lol...
do you really believe that?   so naive...
Naive would be believing that wronged people don't look for payback. So no, it's not "Big mean US" it's "short-sighted foreign policy and military tactics". Shit, we have people in this country that blow a gasket over a parking ticket; I can't imagine what they'd be like if they ended up on an AC-130 to parts unknown with a hood over their heads and wearing shackles.

Hunter/Jumper wrote:

The crime you speak of was committed by the Kidnaper who presented "Heer iz Al Kada ” as an operative, under false pretense for personal vendetta and or monetary gain. The US and its Military  have no culpability in this act. I know this is not what you want to hear or desperately believe and further. This will not lesson the  hatred many people have for this country. They are deluded in this case.
If you believe that, I have a car stereo system I'd like to sell you. I promise it's not stolen and even if it is you won't get busted for recieving stolen goods since you recieved it under false pretenses.

Our government and its intelligence community has a duty and a responsibility to make sure this does not happen for two important reasons. One, it obviously undermines cooperation in the region every time some poor slob who got traded off for cash goes home after someone finally figures out he has nothing to do with our enemies and tells everyone who will listen about the stupid and nasty Americans who thought all Arabs were terrorists. Two, it wastes time and resources to pick up, transport, incarcerate and interrogate someone who knows shit about shit. This is their fucking job and they need to be held accountable for it when they fuck up. They don't need excuses made for them.

Hunter/Jumper wrote:

As sad as a situation like this would be for the person incarcerated it is nothing in comparison to the things our enemies do as a principle act of their culture alone and  Ironically what they would gleefully do to you in particular if you get your wish and America fails. IMHO
When did someone change IMHO to stand for "In My Half-assed Opinion"?

Making a blanket statement about such a huge culture is as dumb as saying, perhaps, "all Americans are decadent infidels". And you may lose sleep about waking up one moring and finding the Sharia police patrolling your neighborhood, I do not. It's ludicrous. Even if by some horrible happenstance they managed to take over this entire country, it would say more about the failure of would-be patriotic warriors like yourself than anything else. Do you really think your country is so weak? Would you just run and hide? Do you think the rest of America would? You'd do yourself a favor if you stopped conflating "We don't agree with this war or how it's being run" with "we luvz da terrists and we wants Sharia lawz". Most of us would be in more trouble than you would in such a climate and we have little doubt that you lot would gladly throw us in their path so you could then run off with your tails between your legs, precious hide intact. As I see it, America is all ready failing; it is abandoning its principles and the ideas of its founders in the name of becoming what those same founders fought to escape.
Ty
Mass Media Casualty
+2,398|6775|Noizyland

imortal, you mention the status of "Enemy Prisoners of War", which is used in Guantanamo, true. This term is used to describe those who have been 'convicted' as such or freely admitted to their crimes - hey it's well known that a lot of these people are proud of what they do - or even those who have coercly confessed to some sort of crime, (which has no legal standing, but no matter they hold 'em anyway.) However the rest who do not confess in any way are held under the title of "Enemy Combatant." It is only illegal to hold prisoners, (or smilar,) but not enemy combatants. Very clever, Guantanamo isn't technically breaking any laws but people should be smart enough to see through the bullshit.

Now onto the torture argument. History gives us some amazingly cruel examples of torture, a friend of mine read an excert rom his Classical Studies readings to me regarding the torture there, and it is truly horrific stuff. The camps at Guantanamo do utilise torture and though it is mostly unclear of what kind it is fair to say that its well, nasty. Torture is nasty. I think so anyway.
Regardless of the many loopholes tha Guantanamo has managed to use, they are holding people there, often with no clear reason and thy are torturing them. That's just not nice. Regardless of the loopholes they've managed to exploit and the fact that the torture is reletivly tame compared to historical and present examples, they are still torturing people with no real reason.

Am I being repeditive?

Argue as you may that the people they capture are uniform-less and not fighting for any real army and thus not technically covered in the Geneva Convention, they are still covered under US law. Humans are covered under Human Rights laws, it seems obvious for me but probably is not for others. Torturing people in any way is not right, and although people suffer worse every day than wha happens at Guantanamo. Who the Hell are the minds at Guantanamo to say that it's okay to disregard Human Rights because Idi over in Africa did it more and worse than we do? Dammit the US is meant to and IS a model for human rights, Guantanamo blatantly disregards human rights, so why the Hell are most of the US public silently condoning Guantanamo?

Guantanamo thrives on various loopholes, you can't apply one piece of human rights law because there's a slight technicality here, or this doesn't apply because of this, or that doesn't apply because we've decided not to define these people that way - at the end of the day it's torture, it's holding people illegaly, it's prosecuting innocent people, it's denying people of human rights and it's wrong. I don't necesarily care that there a lot of incredibly bad eggs held at Guantanamo, good on Guantanamo for holding them. I do care that people are being held there with no way of telling if they're guilty or innocent. Although the notion of "innocent until proven guilty" was once a popular one it seems to have a declining popularity if Guantanamo is in fact a justified institution.
[Blinking eyes thing]
Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/tzyon
Spark
liquid fluoride thorium reactor
+874|6676|Canberra, AUS

imortal wrote:

Ty wrote:

Gitmo is not your average prison, not even your average prison for the worst of the worst.

People are being held and tortured there this fact cannot be disputed. One may say that they get meals and freedom of religion and that's all very hospitable, but torture does occur. As everyone knows torturing prisoners is against the Geneva Convention, but here's an interesting factoid, there are no prisoners at Guantanamo Bay. Extremely clever the way they have been declared "enemy combatants", not prisoners, an ingenious way to get round those annoying parts of the Geneva Convention which of course does not say anything about torturing enemy combatants now does it?
Actually, they are held under the title of EPW, Enemy Prisoner of War.  This is a status in the geneva convention.  They are not 'prisoners,' because it is a detainment facility run by the the department of defense, not the department of corrections or justice.

As to how torture is viewed in the Geneva convention, what they do is not to obtain confessions, but to draw information that may be of strategic or tactical use in the current conflict.  And if you think this 'white torture' is seriously bad, you need to get out more.  Pull out the history books.  Look how the inquisition handled people they declared heritics or witches.  Look at the torture inflicted by North Vietnamese on American pilots in Vietnam.  Look at the middle east, how they treat each other as a normal part of business.  American detainment facilities are luxury hotels compared to what many of these people have gone through.

This was written into the Geneva convention because it was known even then that the convention only works if both sides are using it.  The entire Geneva convention is based on reciprocity, that if one sides act like decent people, that the other side has to as well.  The results of breaking the geneva convention had to be so horrid that noone would want to break it. 

yes, this is a biased website.  I am aknowledging that right up front.  However, it does raise a very good issue.
So we can maim, torture, and kill everyone they see if they aren't wearing uniforms? Score!
The paradox is only a conflict between reality and your feeling what reality ought to be.
~ Richard Feynman
Spark
liquid fluoride thorium reactor
+874|6676|Canberra, AUS

Hunter/Jumper wrote:

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

don't have military uniforms, which means they don't fight properly, which means they aren't gentlemen, which means they get treated worse than farm animals.
really ? " they get treated worse than farm animals" Really lol. Are you sure you just don't hate your country ?
Can you stop fucking stereotyping? Half of what I see from you is along of the lines of "xxx hates America" or "Liberals are xxx" or something like that. Srsly.
The paradox is only a conflict between reality and your feeling what reality ought to be.
~ Richard Feynman
Hunter/Jumper
+117|6355

Spark wrote:

Hunter/Jumper wrote:

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

don't have military uniforms, which means they don't fight properly, which means they aren't gentlemen, which means they get treated worse than farm animals.
really ? " they get treated worse than farm animals" Really lol. Are you sure you just don't hate your country ?
Can you stop fucking stereotyping? Half of what I see from you is along of the lines of "xxx hates America" or "Liberals are xxx" or something like that. Srsly.
I am not sure what your reading. I saw  " they get treated worse than farm animals"

and responded to this  bogus and exaggerated statement.  Out of the post, You only can read and focus on.

"are you sure you just don't hate your country ? ".

With a statement that is at the least Strero typing itself. Speaks volumes really. Hit a nerve did it ?

Last edited by Hunter/Jumper (2007-06-03 08:24:23)

usmarine
Banned
+2,785|6763

usmarine2005 wrote:

zeidmaan wrote:

DeathBecomesYu - mate please stop using made up percentages and for the love of God please stop comparing America with China, Russia, Iran.... If you are better than Iran that still doesn't make you good enough. That seems to be the general problem with most of you. You believe that it doesnt matter how bad you become, as long as you are better than "terrorists". You are lowering your standards and I just cant understand that.
What fucking standards?  Cold War standards?  Vietnam standards?  You want people to stop "throwing stuff out there," well I suggest a little more clarity with all this babble.  If you know a better way of dealing with religious fanatics who believe in virgins in heaven if they blow themselves up, by all means get off your computer and do it.
DeathBecomesYu
+171|6180
zeidmaan, I'm glad you truly took the time to really read my post...NOT. You focus on the number 99 when most people understand what I am saying. I'm not stating 99 percent as a fact. No one here knows how many people may have been put in Gitmo that have been innocent...a very, very small number. My point is that the people who are at Gitmo are there for very serious reasons. Most prisoners of war DO NOT end up here. Only the high value targets and people who are the worst of the worst...do you understand that? So i will not shed one single tear for guys who end up there. Gitmo is not just another jail for any person taken prisoner, this place is like Alcatraz, its where we send the worst to be kept. Sooner that is understood, the better. Also, I am not comparing or lowering any standards by using other countries as examples. Again, you totally miss my point. In fact, people are comparing America every day to the lowest of the low and it gets tiresome to hear that. My point of using those examples is to say that there is a lot worse than America and the way those men are treated at Gitmo is far better than most countries around the world. My last point has always been that there is so much focus on a few mistakes America has made at Gitmo that we forget all the people suffering around the world in much more frightening and horrible situations. It seems that every thread here is either bashing America or Israel. Sometimes its warranted but like I said....take a look around....there is much more in this world that should be looked at. All you need to do is do a search on what is going on in North Korea and its concentration camps, Darfur and the genocide that is going on there and you may someday understand true injustice.
Braddock
Agitator
+916|6291|Éire

DeathBecomesYu wrote:

zeidmaan, I'm glad you truly took the time to really read my post...NOT. You focus on the number 99 when most people understand what I am saying. I'm not stating 99 percent as a fact. No one here knows how many people may have been put in Gitmo that have been innocent...a very, very small number. My point is that the people who are at Gitmo are there for very serious reasons. Most prisoners of war DO NOT end up here. Only the high value targets and people who are the worst of the worst...do you understand that? So i will not shed one single tear for guys who end up there. Gitmo is not just another jail for any person taken prisoner, this place is like Alcatraz, its where we send the worst to be kept. Sooner that is understood, the better. Also, I am not comparing or lowering any standards by using other countries as examples. Again, you totally miss my point. In fact, people are comparing America every day to the lowest of the low and it gets tiresome to hear that. My point of using those examples is to say that there is a lot worse than America and the way those men are treated at Gitmo is far better than most countries around the world. My last point has always been that there is so much focus on a few mistakes America has made at Gitmo that we forget all the people suffering around the world in much more frightening and horrible situations. It seems that every thread here is either bashing America or Israel. Sometimes its warranted but like I said....take a look around....there is much more in this world that should be looked at. All you need to do is do a search on what is going on in North Korea and its concentration camps, Darfur and the genocide that is going on there and you may someday understand true injustice.
I don't think anyone of reasonable intelligence could try and assert that the US was the worst culprit in the International arena when it comes to torture but the fact is if the US feels it has the right to dictate to other countries in the world which regimes are 'good' and which regimes are 'bad' then it has to run it's own affairs in such a way as to be above criticism ...otherwise shut the hell up and stop trying to tell everyone what's what.
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6602|132 and Bush

Spark wrote:

imortal wrote:

Ty wrote:

So we can maim, torture, and kill everyone they see if they aren't wearing uniforms? Score!
You mean like this?
https://i9.tinypic.com/680riwk.jpg
Ten-year-old Zainab Ali, a victim of a mini bus bomb explosion, look on in the Shiite-dominated neighborhood of Amil, Baghdad, Iraq, on Sunday, June 3, 2007. A parked minibus packed with explosives blew up in a busy section of central Baghdad,on Tuesday, May 29, 2007, killing 17 people and injuring 53 others. Zainab, was in her home the time of the blast and is one of many residents made homeless by the bomb attack.

Unfortunately what our enemies do in their quest for victory isn't even close to what happens at gitmo. When is the last time the International Red Cross visited and IED manufacturing plant? I know, I know... we can't become like them. But how can you fight them when they are not bound by the rules of humanity? No one is advocating killing innocents without discretion. But detaining suspects is nothing even remotely close to the barbaric acts they celebrate in. And in case you hadn't noticed most of them are released after we get information from them or... they go to trial.

It's a dangerous situation that we must not take our eyes off of of course. But we are in a very tough, unique situation.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
imortal
+240|6666|Austin, TX

Ty wrote:

imortal, you mention the status of "Enemy Prisoners of War", which is used in Guantanamo, true. This term is used to describe those who have been 'convicted' as such or freely admitted to their crimes.
Actually, this term is reffered to cover ANY armed person who is captured and detained by a military during a conflict.  There is no assumption of guilt.  There is no NEED for guilt.  Yes, simply being in the wrong place at the wrong time is enough.  Welcome to the big, ugly truth.  How long can they be held for?  The duration of the conflict.  Traditionally, there was a parole system, where they would be released to their home country with an oath to not participate in the conflict any more.  If they were captured again, then they would be immediately shot out of hand.  Obviously, we are not using that system here.

Ty wrote:

Argue as you may that the people they capture are uniform-less and not fighting for any real army and thus not technically covered in the Geneva Convention, they are still covered under US law.
Umm, no.  The only law that Enemy Prisoners of War are covered is under military law.  That is, the Uniform Code of Military Justice and the various international accords on the conduct and treatment of military personnel and prisoners.  They are not covered by the Constitution or any part of federal law.  Sorry that it seems so wrong to you, but there it is. 

Oh, one last thing about detainee treatment.  Out of the thousands of personnel the Americans have captured, how many have currently survived?  99+%.

Out of the Americans captured during this conflict, how many, currently, have survived?  We have yet to hear of a single person living.  Some were even executed before a camera, to display it to the internet.

Reciprocity.  It is a big word, and the very foundation of the Geneva convention.  The people the Americans are fighting have been torturing and killing anyone they capture.  As such, they have NO RIGHT to raise any complaints for the treatment of their personnel.  And I will pay attention to Amnesty Intenational and the other similar orginazations if they give a single condemnation of the way the islamic exremists treat the people they capture.

And I would still listen to both sides of the torture argument.  Any attempt from the military to show more detail, clear up misunderstandings, or to refute charges has been systematically buried, smotjhered, or just not reported.
usmarine
Banned
+2,785|6763

DeathBecomesYu wrote:

I just love it when America does something.....it is always bad and so many jump on the bandwagon just because its "America".
Never saw this posted...guess cause he wasn't an American soldier.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/6728473.stm

Last edited by usmarine2005 (2007-06-06 16:41:07)

m3thod
All kiiiiiiiiinds of gainz
+2,197|6672|UK

usmarine2005 wrote:

DeathBecomesYu wrote:

I just love it when America does something.....it is always bad and so many jump on the bandwagon just because its "America".

That cos it was published today at 19:28.  And one brit solider is serving time for his part in the brutaility that lead to this indivduals death.
Blackbelts are just whitebelts who have never quit.
usmarine
Banned
+2,785|6763

m3thod wrote:

usmarine2005 wrote:

DeathBecomesYu wrote:

That cos it was published today at 19:28.
no.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/6446649.stm

http://www.guardian.co.uk/international … 11,00.html

http://www.commondreams.org/headlines04/0104-05.htm

http://www.dawn.com/2004/12/17/fea.htm
m3thod
+2,197|6672|UK

usmarine2005 wrote:

m3thod wrote:

usmarine2005 wrote:

That cos it was published today at 19:28.
no.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/6446649.stm

http://www.guardian.co.uk/international … 11,00.html

http://www.commondreams.org/headlines04/0104-05.htm

http://www.dawn.com/2004/12/17/fea.htm
Oui.

https://i12.tinypic.com/54lsi9d.jpg
usmarine
Banned
+2,785|6763

How about the original story?  I know this one was "updated" today.

Last edited by usmarine2005 (2007-06-06 17:18:17)

usmarine
Banned
+2,785|6763

Ok..now we have established it was updated today, but is not even close to being the first time it has been in the news.  Care to discuss why it has never been posted?
usmarine
Banned
+2,785|6763

Didn't think so.
m3thod
+2,197|6672|UK

usmarine2005 wrote:

Didn't think so.
Why don't you think so?  It didn't occur to you it was 1:30am and i was zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz?

In answer to your question: I think American brutality makes better bitching contests.
usmarine
Banned
+2,785|6763

m3thod wrote:

usmarine2005 wrote:

Didn't think so.
Why don't you think so?  It didn't occur to you it was 1:30am and i was zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz?

In answer to your question: I think American brutality makes better bitching contests.
0130?  Come on, you are a young man.
m3thod
+2,197|6672|UK

usmarine2005 wrote:

m3thod wrote:

usmarine2005 wrote:

Didn't think so.

0130?  Come on, you are a young man.
My itinary for 6 June 2007:

Got up at 05:00

On train 06:30

Into London 09:00

Into Canary Wharf 09:30

Meetings & doing bollocks all/office logistics all day till 18:00

Back home 09:00

Pissed about till 01:30 too zonked to argue with some geezer across the pond.
usmarine
Banned
+2,785|6763

m3thod wrote:

Pissed about till 01:30 too zonked to argue with some geezer across the pond.
...and failed.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard