Coolbeano
Level 13.5 BF2S Ninja Penguin Sensei
+378|6780

no not cocaine, but the coca-cola.

those 400ml plastic bottles.

https://www.70sushi.com/orders/media/pictures/shop/123.jpg

karma to whoever can find what their tested/reported pressure threshold is. how much pressure can they withstand?

we got one to explode at approx 38 atmospheres... that made the room shimmer, our ears ring and have several teachers investigate what they thought was a gunshot... teachers from hundreds of meters away. i just need to know what coke says or if anyone's done a standard testing before, for safety reasons. coke bottles are a lot stronger than erlenmeyer flasks...

my googling has been in vain - maybe you can do better.
Andoura
Got loooollllll ?
+853|6655|Montreal, Qc, Canada
Coke is fkn dangerous !!!! everyone saw the litle trick with Mentos... but for the pressure im sure if you call them , they will tell you
S.Lythberg
Mastermind
+429|6463|Chicago, IL
Different plants have slight differences in plastic quality, so there is no standard.  Why did you attach a coke bottle to a air pressurizer anyway, trying to blow your eardrums?
Andoura
Got loooollllll ?
+853|6655|Montreal, Qc, Canada
this is what he did i think : http://www.things2make.com/Things2make_ … rocket.htm haha
jammyc53
+7|6574|Newcastle. England.
400 ml bottles ? i thought there is only 500ml
Sarrk
O-O-O A-O A
+788|6672|Brisbane, Australia

WTF are you guys on, we either get 360mL or 600mL here...
jimmanycricket
EBC Member
+56|6672|Cambridge, England
wee get 330ml cans and 500ml bottles.
voodoodolphins
+92|6719

jimmanycricket wrote:

wee get 330ml cans and 500ml bottles.
I 2nd that + 2000 ml and 1500 ml plastic bottles where I am from.
kylef
Gone
+1,352|6510|N. Ireland
400ml bottle? wtf..
Coolbeano
Level 13.5 BF2S Ninja Penguin Sensei
+378|6780

Well it's reported as 390, but full volume is 432 ml.

'twas filled with dry ice - we're doing an experiment on sublimation in buffer solutions and associated shit.

Chem HL IA.

Our ultimate goal is to get a relatively stable sample of liquid CO2. We've encountered it enough times but the pressure leeway is very, very small.

edit: we're using coke bottles because they're much stronger.

Last edited by Coolbeano (2007-05-23 03:20:48)

The#1Spot
+105|6556|byah
Isnt the 400ml bottles those children sized soda bottles
Roomba
You will pay the price for your lack of vision.
+26|6509|Land of Cotton

Coolbeano wrote:

no not cocaine, but the coca-cola.

those 400ml plastic bottles.

https://www.70sushi.com/orders/media/pi … op/123.jpg

karma to whoever can find what their tested/reported pressure threshold is. how much pressure can they withstand?

we got one to explode at approx 38 atmospheres... that made the room shimmer, our ears ring and have several teachers investigate what they thought was a gunshot... teachers from hundreds of meters away. i just need to know what coke says or if anyone's done a standard testing before, for safety reasons. coke bottles are a lot stronger than erlenmeyer flasks...

my googling has been in vain - maybe you can do better.
Let's see if I can guide you with some information to help with your searching.

First, coke bottles consist of a polyester called polyethylene terephthalate. If you look on the bottom, there will be a PETE or PET acronym. It may be near a triangular recycle symbol with the number 1 in it.

Second, testing protocol for plastics (and many other chemicals) can fall under the guidelines of ASTM or ISO testing. When I searched, I found the tests but not anything specific to a bottle. These methods are for setting guidelines for performance and tolerances. A method may exist for maximum pressure for a bottle.

Third, you may want to use keywords as tensile strength, stress/strain and modulus. Plastics are commonly tested for these properties on an instrument called Instron. Essentially, it pulls the plastic and gathers information about the resistance of the plastic in relationship to known materials (like springs). It can also test relaxation after the material has been stressed.

Lastly, this type of testing falls under the scientific field called rheology or the study of flow. I included a wikipedia site with a better definition.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rheology

I hope this gives you some help.
Airwolf
Latter Alcoholic
+287|6736|Scotland
38 atmospheres?

38 x 10^5 Pa.   Nice lol

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard