Do you consider "Mormons" Christians?

Yes29%29% - 50
No47%47% - 82
What the hell is a Mormon?23%23% - 40
Total: 172
OrangeHound
Busy doing highfalutin adminy stuff ...
+1,335|6656|Washington DC

Not to deny your understanding of Mormonism or perhaps the teachings you've received, weamo8, but I want to post a couple of clarifications to the Mormon theology you espoused ... 

weamo8 wrote:

Stingray24 wrote:

If I understand correctly, Mormons believe Jesus is a created being, not God.  Therefore, I would not consider them part of mainstream Christianity.  I don't have access to my books at home on the various religions to say for certain.  Those who are/were Mormons feel free to correct me.
Jesus Christ is God.
Mormon Theology:  Jesus Christ is a God, as is the Holy Spirit, and God the Father  (that's one of the differences with orthodox Christianity).
  • "I have always declared God to be a distinct personage, Jesus Christ a distinct personage from God the Father, and the Holy Ghost was a distinct personage and a Spirit:  and these three constitute three distinct personages and three Gods"  (Joseph Smith, Jr., History of the Church, 6:474)
Mormon Theology:  Jesus Christ was begotten through sexual intercourse between Mary and God the Father.
  • "Christ was begotten by an Immortal Father in the same way that mortal men are begotten by mortal fathers" (Mormon Doctrine, 1977 ed., p. 547).
CommieChipmunk
+488|6577|Portland, OR, USA

Cougar wrote:

Out of all the things stupid people have fallen for, the Mormons rank up there pretty far.

"Yes, let me read my magical text from this hat.  Don't look or it'll disappear!!"
No further out there than Jesus turning water into wine or Moses parting the Red Sea...

Most religions are pretty fucking illogical when you think about it

Last edited by CommieChipmunk (2007-05-17 20:17:12)

GunSlinger OIF II
Banned.
+1,860|6650

CommieChipmunk wrote:

Cougar wrote:

Out of all the things stupid people have fallen for, the Mormons rank up there pretty far.

"Yes, let me read my magical text from this hat.  Don't look or it'll disappear!!"
No further out there than Jesus turning water into wine or Moses parting the Red Sea...

Most religions are pretty fucking illogical when you think about it
i would say all.  im not into the supernatural.
Agent_Dung_Bomb
+302|6743|Salt Lake City

ATG, don't fret.  I was once lost in their lies.  I too was baptised, taken into their deceit.  But like you, I learned to think for myself.  I saw the lies of religion, not just Mormons, but religion in general.  I have done the baptism for the dead.  Short of actually experiencing a temple wedding, I've seen it all.  Much of my family is still LDS, so I'm not immune from the influence they try to inflict.

For those of you that don't understand the LDS church, look it up.  I live in Salt Lake City.  This is to the Mormons what the Vatican is to the Catholics.
Reciprocity
+721|6587|the dank(super) side of Oregon
my first wife doesn't think they are christians,  but my second and third wives disagree with her.  personally, I dont know.
Rennkasper
+27|6749|Dortmund

CameronPoe wrote:

The second m in mormon is a silent m.
+ 1
Phrozenbot
+632|6622|do not disturb

They are not. Just because they believe in Christ does not make them Christians... as Jesus said, if you don't know the Son, you don't know the Father, and if you don't know the father, you don't have the right God. The Jesus Mormons believe in is not the same as the one Christians believe in. They don't believe in the trinity, first heresy, and they believe Jesus is a created being (as OrangeHound pointed out), second heresy, and they believe Jesus is the brother of the devil, third heresy. If you get the first part wrong, don't even call yourself a Christian.
ATG
Banned
+5,233|6536|Global Command
Wrong.
The basic difference in the Mormon thingy is they believe the spiritual level Christ obtained is possible for all.

Historically speaking, and according to Freemason lore the Ressurection was talked about by Christ, but not as a literal thing. It was a metaphysical thing. To be born again, or to rise from the dead was believed to mean reaching the level of higher awareness that Christ reached.

The trinity, papal asscession and the literal rising from the dead the modern " Christians " teach is that which is the myth. And in that, I agree with both the Masons and the Mormons of which I am niether.
OrangeHound

ATG wrote:

Wrong.
The basic difference in the Mormon thingy is they believe the spiritual level Christ obtained is possible for all.
Um, I understand what you are trying to say, but I think it is overly simplistic.  The basic difference in Mormonism and what is typically called "orthodox" Christianity is that the nature & history of God, the nature and activity of Jesus Christ, the expectations of daily life, the path to a positive afterlife, and the characterization of the afterlife is significantly different.  So, basically, this means that the two are completely different religions.

I realize that Mormons want to be viewed as cousins of other Christians  - or more correctly an advanced/correct form of Christianity - but the two religions are in significant conflict with one another.

ATG wrote:

The trinity, papal asscession and the literal rising from the dead the modern " Christians " teach is that which is the myth. And in that, I agree with both the Masons and the Mormons of which I am niether.
So, in your agnosticism, it appears that you are still considering the nature of God as taught through Mormonism, but have rejected that which is taught through orthodox Christianity (Roman Catholic, Protestant, and Eastern).
ATG
Banned

OrangeHound wrote:

ATG wrote:

Wrong.
Um, I understand what you are trying to say, but I think it is overly simplistic.  The basic difference in Mormonism and what is typically called "orthodox" Christianity is that the nature & history of God, the nature and activity of Jesus Christ, the expectations of daily life, the path to a positive afterlife, and the characterization of the afterlife is significantly different.  So, basically, this means that the two are completely different religions.

I realize that Mormons want to be viewed as cousins of other Christians  - or more correctly an advanced/correct form of Christianity - but the two religions are in significant conflict with one another.

ATG wrote:

So, in your agnosticism, it appears that you are still considering the nature of God as taught through Mormonism, but have rejected that which is taught through orthodox Christianity (Roman Catholic, Protestant, and Eastern).
The teachings I experienced weren't that technical; be " Christ-like " . Strive to do good, as he would.
People say this or that about the Trinity, but my fathers ends his prayers in " in the name of the father, the sone, and the holy ghost."

No, I reject Mormonism too.
I believe that God is not knowable. There is truths in all religions, and myths.
But it's like this, if I was Luke Skywalker and had to choose between the light side of the force or the dark side, I would choose the good side. For me, it really doesn't need to go any deeper than that.

My opinions came about after reading a great many books on religion and anthropology. I never made it through the Book of Mormon, it was boring. All that bs about the Golden Plates is just that. But, I do not rule out the idea of walking into the forest and speaking to God either. It could have happened to Josepth Smith or David Koresh.
weamo8
+50|6449|USA

ATG wrote:

Cougar wrote:

ATG wrote:

Yes.
I'm a reformed Mormon, been to the Temple and did the Baptism for the Dead.
....................no.   

WTF?
I was born in Utah.
heh, not only WAS I a Mormon, but I'm the son of a polygamist!!!
My grandfather, Albert edmund Barlow was grandson of  Israel Barlow, one of Joseph Smiths personal bodyguards.

You...really...wouldn't belieeve me if I told you how many brothers and sisters I have...LOL!

Albert E. Barlow with three of his wives ( my dad is first row second from left ) just before he spent a total of seven years in prison for the foolishness of practicing his religion.
http://content.lib.utah.edu/cgi-bin/sho … ISOPTR=533

I have always been an agnostic. I have never bought wholly into religion. I am the eldest son of a Utah Polygamist.
There havent been any Mormon polygamists in your lifetime.  The church has been excommunicating polygamist since before you were born.
weamo8
+50|6449|USA

OrangeHound wrote:

Not to deny your understanding of Mormonism or perhaps the teachings you've received, weamo8, but I want to post a couple of clarifications to the Mormon theology you espoused ... 

weamo8 wrote:

Stingray24 wrote:

If I understand correctly, Mormons believe Jesus is a created being, not God.  Therefore, I would not consider them part of mainstream Christianity.  I don't have access to my books at home on the various religions to say for certain.  Those who are/were Mormons feel free to correct me.
Jesus Christ is God.
Mormon Theology:  Jesus Christ is a God, as is the Holy Spirit, and God the Father  (that's one of the differences with orthodox Christianity).
  • "I have always declared God to be a distinct personage, Jesus Christ a distinct personage from God the Father, and the Holy Ghost was a distinct personage and a Spirit:  and these three constitute three distinct personages and three Gods"  (Joseph Smith, Jr., History of the Church, 6:474)
Mormon Theology:  Jesus Christ was begotten through sexual intercourse between Mary and God the Father.
  • "Christ was begotten by an Immortal Father in the same way that mortal men are begotten by mortal fathers" (Mormon Doctrine, 1977 ed., p. 547).
Jesus Christ is God in every way that matters, and Mormon Doctrine was written by someone who did not have the right to proclaim what Mormon Doctrine is.

If they had sex, how was she a virgin?

I love how people know what I believe, because if anyone who ever claimed to be a Mormon said it, it must be the standard.

Thanks for clarifying what I believe.  You did a great job.
weamo8
+50|6449|USA

Rennkasper wrote:

CameronPoe wrote:

The second m in mormon is a silent m.
+ 1
Oh definately.  What rapier whit!  I have never heard that one before.
Agent_Dung_Bomb
+302|6743|Salt Lake City

weamo8 wrote:

ATG wrote:

Cougar wrote:

....................no.   

WTF?
I was born in Utah.
My grandfather, Albert edmund Barlow was grandson of  Israel Barlow, one of Joseph Smiths personal bodyguards.

You...really...wouldn't belieeve me if I told you how many brothers and sisters I have...LOL!

Albert E. Barlow with three of his wives ( my dad is first row second from left ) just before he spent a total of seven years in prison for the foolishness of practicing his religion.

I have always been an agnostic. I have never bought wholly into religion. I am the eldest son of a Utah Polygamist.
There havent been any Mormon polygamists in your lifetime.  The church has been excommunicating polygamist since before you were born.
The FLDS are still going strong, and no the church is not excommunicating them.  The church does not agree with their stance on polygamy, but they aren't going out of their way to stop the FLDS from continuing the old ways.
weamo8
+50|6449|USA

OrangeHound wrote:

ATG wrote:

Wrong.

ATG wrote:

Yeah... they are definatly different in the ways that matter.  I hear other Christians preach love of God and your fellow man and respect and immense gratitude for our Savior Jesus Christ.  Us Mormons worship the devil and stab anyone we come in contact with in the throat.
weamo8
+50|6449|USA

Agent_Dung_Bomb wrote:

weamo8 wrote:

ATG wrote:

I was born in Utah.

The FLDS are still going strong, and no the church is not excommunicating them.  The church does not agree with their stance on polygamy, but they aren't going out of their way to stop the FLDS from continuing the old ways.
ATG was talking about Mormons, not the FLDS.  That is like saying the Lutherins broke off from the Cathlics so they are the same thing.
kylef
Gone
+1,352|6500|N. Ireland
The only thing I know about Mormons is that they don't drink alcohol. I learnt that from Family Guy. Christians drink alcohol, so.. no!
weamo8
+50|6449|USA
Anyways, I want to apologize.  I actually did not start this thread to get into an argument about Mormonism.  I am not trying to convert anyone, and  I have nothing to defend.  I was just curious what the poll would reveal.

I have to say that I find it interesting that a church whose official name is The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints, whose doctrine from any standpoint is based completely on the Atonement of Jesus Christ, and whose teachings are constantly those of trying to be like our Savior is considered non-Christian by most of you.

This was really nothing more than a successful experiment.  Thank you for your time.

P.S. I have definately learned, however, that people in this forum are experts at sounding like experts in areas they truly know nothing about.  Bravo!
OrangeHound

weamo8 wrote:

OrangeHound wrote:

[
Jesus Christ is God in every way that matters, and Mormon Doctrine was written by someone who did not have the right to proclaim what Mormon Doctrine is.
(my mouth is hanging open in disbelief at this statement)

I mean, come on ... do you know your own religion?    Mormon Doctrine was written by Bruce McConkie - he was on the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles from  1972 until he died in 1985, and he was on the Council of the Seventy prior to that.  Yes, that's right ... he very specifically is in that role as an Apostle of the church and has EVERY right to speak on behalf of the Mormons, for the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles is the authority that articulates Mormon teachings to the non-Mormons.

He's an Apostle dude ... a Mormon apostle is viewed as having the highest authority.

Now, if you are aware of a Mormon authority that has declared McConkie to be a false Mormon Apostle, has rejected the authority of the Mormon Apostles, or  has otherwise explained away his statements, then I would love to hear that.

weamo8 wrote:

P.S. I have definately learned, however, that people in this forum are experts at sounding like experts in areas they truly know nothing about.  Bravo!
Yes, I am an expert. 

But, are you an expert?  Just because one is Mormon doesn't mean that one has clarity on Mormon theology and teachings. 

And, just to be balanced here, most orthodox Christians do not have clarity on orthodox Christian theology and teachings, nor do they understand the differences between orthodox Christianity and Mormonism.  I could go on and on about issues with orthodox Christianity, but this was not a thread on that subject.

weamo8 wrote:

I have to say that I find it interesting that a church whose official name is The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints, whose doctrine from any standpoint is based completely on the Atonement of Jesus Christ, and whose teachings are constantly those of trying to be like our Savior is considered non-Christian by most of you.
A cat can call itself a frog, but that doesn't make it a frog.  I think I alluded to this before, but I can be more specific:  "Christianity" holds certain core beliefs that define Christianity ever since the church councils and these are based upon the nature of God the path to connection with Him, and ... yes ... even a different teaching on the Atonement of Jesus Christ (see the Mormon Articles of Faith, pp 478-479).  There are many, many groups that have come along, called themselves "Christian", but they professed something other than these core beliefs.  To protect the core beliefs and to keep the name "Christian" from being diluted, orthodox Christianity has declared these other movements "heretical" and non-Christian.  The vast majority of orthodox Christian leaders declare that Mormonism is NOT Christianity simply because of this distinction.

Now, which is truly "Christian"?  The Mormons or the orthodox?  Both call themselves the same name, but they profess completely different understandings of Christ, God, and the connection with God ... funny, the name "Christian" is the one thing that is similar.

But, I would like to add, I think a higher proportion of Mormons act more "Christian" than most orthodox Christians I meet.
Kurazoo
Pheasant Plucker
+440|6691|West Yorkshire, U.K
Osmonds
Gawwad
My way or Haddaway!
+212|6692|Espoo, Finland
I once visited a mormon church to hear about their religion, and well... they were not sane..
Agent_Dung_Bomb
+302|6743|Salt Lake City

weamo8 wrote:

Agent_Dung_Bomb wrote:

weamo8 wrote:

ATG was talking about Mormons, not the FLDS.  That is like saying the Lutherins broke off from the Cathlics so they are the same thing.
Sorry dude, they are one and the same.  The only difference is that the FLDS (Fundamentalist Latter Days Saints) still adhere to the old ways of the LDS faith. 

LDS=Mormon
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6778|PNW

Phrozenbot wrote:

They are not. Just because they believe in Christ does not make them Christians... as Jesus said, if you don't know the Son, you don't know the Father, and if you don't know the father, you don't have the right God. The Jesus Mormons believe in is not the same as the one Christians believe in. They don't believe in the trinity, first heresy, and they believe Jesus is a created being (as OrangeHound pointed out), second heresy, and they believe Jesus is the brother of the devil, third heresy. If you get the first part wrong, don't even call yourself a Christian.
They believe in the trinity insofar as the father, the son and the holy spirit exist...but are not one entity. Makes sense to me...why would Jesus be praying to himself on the cross? And don't forget that protestants are still considered heretics. How the hell are you going to know you have the right church anyway? Some warm, fuzzy feeling in your gut that's probably resultant from fasting on Sundays?

Do you think that God would really care about how people worship him (short of human sacrifice and other such atrocity)?

Last edited by unnamednewbie13 (2007-05-18 20:12:53)

ATG
Banned
Lol at this thread.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6778|PNW

Agent_Dung_Bomb wrote:

weamo8 wrote:

Agent_Dung_Bomb wrote:

Sorry dude, they are one and the same.  The only difference is that the FLDS (Fundamentalist Latter Days Saints) still adhere to the old ways of the LDS faith. 

LDS=Mormon
The FLDS is not affiliated with the LDS. They split off from the mainstream Mormons earlier last century. They have a different leader and everything.

Last edited by unnamednewbie13 (2007-05-18 20:17:20)

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard