Ryan
+1,230|6845|Alberta, Canada

Is 160kb/s a good speed?

I've always figured it was very slow.

So I was wondering what your average speeds are, just for comparison purposes.
Thanks.
madmurre
I suspect something is amiss
+117|6712|Sweden
uhm that depends on your host mine´s around 5MB/s  8 when the computer is happy.

Edit: might add that´s from torrents that are generous seeded most if not all are where i choose to download legit of course

Last edited by madmurre (2007-05-16 16:25:21)

max
Vela Incident
+1,652|6569|NYC / Hamburg

400ish usually. Depends on the server.
EDIT: I'm running from a 6Mb connection, so there is still loads of headroom for surfing and other downloads. The real max of my connection is somewhere around 750KB/s, just hardly any servers upload that fast

Last edited by max (2007-05-16 16:20:49)

once upon a midnight dreary, while i pron surfed, weak and weary, over many a strange and spurious site of ' hot  xxx galore'. While i clicked my fav'rite bookmark, suddenly there came a warning, and my heart was filled with mourning, mourning for my dear amour, " 'Tis not possible!", i muttered, " give me back my free hardcore!"..... quoth the server, 404.
jsnipy
+3,276|6524|...

I've had a strongly seeded torrent pull as much as 900ish
Bertster7
Confused Pothead
+1,101|6583|SE London

For what?

My torrents are currently coming down at 800KB/s. (That's 6.4Mbps). If you're really only getting 160Kbps (which you're probably not, I reckon you mean 160KB/s), then that is fairly slow (20KB/s). It depends what sort of download you mean and where you are downloading from.

High speed HTTP downloads I've had upto just about 2MB/s (16Mbps).

Last edited by Bertster7 (2007-05-16 16:25:40)

Hurricane
Banned
+1,153|6632|Washington, DC

My fastest DL peak has been just under 2000KB/s (yeah, KiloBYTES). It was when I downloaded the BF2Combat mod (fucking nice servers they have). I spent most of that download at 1,500KB/s (AKA 1.5MBps). I fucking love Verizon's internets service. Their cell phone service, not so much.
Killya
+4|6293
Not really.  If you have DSL try cable if it's good in your hood.  D-FWs has a lot a fiber cable down, so not many poor spots in the city.  Your proximity to a fiber trunk or main station really matters unless you can spend $$$ on a business-quality data line.  I am not sure if y'all are close to a city in Canada Eh? 

Download Speed: 6957 kbps (869.6 KB/sec transfer rate).  Normally it's a bit faster.  Regular cable modem 1 coax patch < 40 ft to fiber trunk. 

ps- what is the sign for a Loonie anyways Eh?  ($$$ ???)
emumano101
+7|6534|um my dads house
well i get 50kb and i have verizon i think they suck and its DSL
CrazeD
+368|6674|Maine
400 - 500KB/s.
russ)=spetsnaz
Banned
+131|6457|the guy in the hind on gator
my average is 350kb with comcast...50 bucks a month for that shit
Ty
Mass Media Casualty
+2,398|6776|Noizyland

At the moment I've overused my broadband so I'm down to downloading in bytes per second quite a bit now with no idea when my broadband will come back. And people wonder why I have a vendetta against Telecom...
[Blinking eyes thing]
Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/tzyon
r'Eeee
That's how I roll, BITCH!
+311|6450

Bertster7 wrote:

For what?

If you're really only getting 160Kbps (which you're probably not, I reckon you mean 160KB/s), then that is fairly slow (20KB/s).
WOT?
Kbps is the same as KB/s i.e. Kilobit per second. I don't understand what you mean

Anyway... I get around 800kbps when downloading from normal website. It really depends on where the servers you are downloading from are located.
Bertster7
Confused Pothead
+1,101|6583|SE London

rabee2789b wrote:

Bertster7 wrote:

For what?

If you're really only getting 160Kbps (which you're probably not, I reckon you mean 160KB/s), then that is fairly slow (20KB/s).
WOT?
Kbps is the same as KB/s i.e. Kilobit per second. I don't understand what you mean

Anyway... I get around 800kbps when downloading from normal website. It really depends on where the servers you are downloading from are located.
Kbps = kilobits per second. KB/s = kilobytes per second. There are 8 bits in a byte.
Hurricane
Banned

rabee2789b wrote:

Bertster7 wrote:

For what?

WOT?
Negatory, no sir, no way man. Verizon advertises my FiOS service as "15Mbps/2Mbps", that equates to, at peak speeds, "2MBps/300KBps"... not so sure about the upload speed to be honest. But 15Mbps, at peak speed for me at least, is 2MBps.
Longbow
+163|6648|Odessa, Ukraine
120-140 KBps
Ryan
+1,230|6845|Alberta, Canada

Talk about confusing.

I gave up on torrents, they are slow too.
My ISP is Telus btw.

What I mean is when I download a file, it downloads 160KB ever second. What is the difference between KB/s and Kbps?

Also, how can I get faster downloads? Get a new router? Get a better high-speed internet plan?
Under my network connections, it says my connection is 100.00Mbps.

Last edited by Ryan (2007-05-16 17:15:06)

Yellowman03
Once Again, We Meet at Last
+108|6237|Texas
Verizon FiOS...beast connection: up to 15mb/s
Hurricane
Banned

Yellowman03 wrote:

Verizon FiOS...beast connection: up to 1530mb/s
Only it costs $200 monthly to get that stuff I even heard they're starting to roll out 50Mbps in some places.
Hurricane
Banned

Ryan wrote:

Talk about confusing.

I gave up on torrents, they are slow too.
My ISP is Telus btw.

What I mean is when I download a file, it downloads 160KB ever second. What is the difference between KB/s and Kbps?

Also, how can I get faster downloads? Get a new router? Get a better high-speed internet plan?
Under my network connections, it says my connection is 100.00Mbps.
Just use this as a way of knowing KBps and Kbps: 2000KBps = 15,000 Kbps. 1KB when converted to Kb will be more than 1Kb.

Faster downloads? Not much. A new router could help if yours is shitty, but basically it's either get a new internet plan or not. Network connections' 100.00Mbps is what your network speed is; Ethernet. It can even go up to 1Gb (Gigabit). If internet speed was as fast as network speed, this would be an awesome internets age.

Basically, if you're using Ethernet you don't have to worry about routers unless it's a shitty router. No common man's internet plan goes up to 100Mbps yet.
r'Eeee
That's how I roll, BITCH!
+311|6450

Bertster7 wrote:

rabee2789b wrote:

Bertster7 wrote:

For what?

WOT?

Kbps = kilobits per second. KB/s = kilobytes per second. There are 8 bits in a byte.
Fair enough....
jgrahl
+4|6692
I use comcast enhanced high speed and I get 8Mbps download.  That's around 1 MB/s (1000 KB/s) download at maximum.  Only the best webservers out there or torrent networks can I download at 1 MB/s.
Cheez
Herman is a warmaphrodite
+1,027|6440|King Of The Islands

Ryan wrote:

Is 160KB/s a good speed?

Thanks.
For me it is

METRIC 101:

Upper-case letter in-front of base unit means bigger than base unit,
    i.e. Kg or Km.

Lower-case letter in-front of base unit means smaller than base unit,
    i.e. mL, cm.

Base units are usually lower-case, but there are exceptions,
Litre, because l looks like l, I and 1.
Byte, because b is already taken by bit

8bits = 1byte

Next week, we'll learn about Mibibytes or MiB.
[/class]
My state was founded by Batman. Your opinion is invalid.
GR34
+215|6547|ALBERTA> CANADA

Ryan wrote:

Is 160kb/s a good speed?

Thanks.
The best i have ever gotten is 300kb/s its b/c my telus sux monkey balls iam getting shaw
CommieChipmunk
+488|6571|Portland, OR, USA

Hurricane wrote:

My fastest DL peak has been just under 2000KB/s (yeah, KiloBYTES). It was when I downloaded the BF2Combat mod (fucking nice servers they have). I spent most of that download at 1,500KB/s (AKA 1.5MBps). I fucking love Verizon's internets service. Their cell phone service, not so much.
Do you use the new fiber optics stuff?? They're putting it into my neighborhood right now!  I have comcast, which  isn't slow.. but its not terribly fast either
GunSlinger OIF II
Banned.
+1,860|6645
i dont know, im still heart broken over finding out how shitty my video card is.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard