Marlboroman82
Personal philosophy: Clothing optional.
+1,022|6659|Camp XRay

ghettoperson wrote:

GunSlinger OIF II wrote:

whats the first step to upgrading.  i like doing shit myself.  problem is the only thing ive ever done was upgrade the ram.  im a moron.

I always knew my shit sucked, thanks for the confirmation.
Well, how much money do you have to spend? It's probably not worth even spending very much, but the improvements you'd get would be considerable.

Bert, I'm assuming it's PCI-E?
no way thats pc express, come on ghetto
https://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l250/marlboroman82/Untitled-8.png
ghettoperson
+1,943|6685

Marlboroman82 wrote:

ghettoperson wrote:

GunSlinger OIF II wrote:

whats the first step to upgrading.  i like doing shit myself.  problem is the only thing ive ever done was upgrade the ram.  im a moron.

Well, how much money do you have to spend? It's probably not worth even spending very much, but the improvements you'd get would be considerable.

Meh, well being an old card I wouldn't have thought so, however I recently saw a couple of similar cards recently, and I *think* that model that were PCI-E so I figured it's worth checking.
Neoburn_1035
Medic!!!!!!!
+27|6865|OP, KS

cyborg_ninja-117 wrote:

_NL_Lt.EngineerFox wrote:

Can't you get one from BFG or some sort.
You can mix and match manufacturers.
With some motherboards and video cards  not all mainboards and video cards will let you mix and match. Most of the newer mainboards and video cards, if not all of them will now let you mix video cards as long as it is like 7900 BFG: 7900 EVGA for example you can't take a EVGA 7900 and a XFX 8800.

Last edited by Neoburn_1035 (2007-05-19 09:12:02)

GunSlinger OIF II
Banned.
+1,860|6680
i dont know, im broke now till payday.  a couple hundred bucks ill be willing to invest.  what do i gotta buy?
Bertster7
Confused Pothead
+1,101|6617|SE London

Marlboroman82 wrote:

ghettoperson wrote:

GunSlinger OIF II wrote:

Exactly, they didn't have PCI-E back then. 8x AGP was pretty new.

I'd go for something along the lines of a 6600 - 6800GT. It'd be cheap, dirt cheap and about a bazillion times better.
Bertster7
Confused Pothead
+1,101|6617|SE London

GunSlinger OIF II wrote:

i dont know, im broke now till payday.  a couple hundred bucks ill be willing to invest.  what do i gotta buy?
How about this?

Should do you nicely.
ghettoperson
+1,943|6685

Bertster7 wrote:

GunSlinger OIF II wrote:

How about this?

Should do you nicely.
That would be a good choice, however I'm just thinking if it's an old machine sticking with say a 6600 and then saving your money for when you get a new computer. I'd think that would be bottlenecked by the rest of the computer tbh.
Bertster7
Confused Pothead
+1,101|6617|SE London

ghettoperson wrote:

Bertster7 wrote:

GunSlinger OIF II wrote:

How about this?

Should do you nicely.
That would be a good choice, however I'm just thinking if it's an old machine sticking with say a 6600 and then saving your money for when you get a new computer. I'd think that would be bottlenecked by the rest of the computer tbh.
Probably. But it's always nice to have your GPU way more powerful than everything else. Lets you turn loads of image quality settings right up and all the strain is on the GPU.
m3thod
All kiiiiiiiiinds of gainz
+2,197|6707|UK
a 7600GT will be just the ticket GS.

Installing the card is easy.
Blackbelts are just whitebelts who have never quit.
herrr_smity
+156|6664|space command ur anus

CrazeD wrote:

tehz wrote:

ghettoperson wrote:

Screw SLi, sell it and get a 8800.
yup, a single 8800gts is faster than a pair of 7900's in sli.
Hahaha @ nVidia.

That's pretty funny cause two 1950XTX is faster than a single 8800GTX.
and two 8800gtx is faster then then a Ferrari
MECtallica
+73|6540|jalalabad

herrr_smity wrote:

and two 8800gtx is faster then then a Ferrari
jamesb
Joined BF2s in November 2005
+133|6760|Doncaster, England

RDMC(2) wrote:

I just found out that the 8600 GT 256mb I was planning to buy has slightly slower RAM and the core speed is about 30 mhz slower as well than my current 7600? Searched on other sites as well and came up with the same results? I'm being stupid here or what?

/sorry for derailement of your thread...
I think the only plus is they are DX10.

Also with my friends, they bridge through the MOBO, no connector.
Bertster7
Confused Pothead
+1,101|6617|SE London

RDMC(2) wrote:

I just found out that the 8600 GT 256mb I was planning to buy has slightly slower RAM and the core speed is about 30 mhz slower as well than my current 7600? Searched on other sites as well and came up with the same results? I'm being stupid here or what?

/sorry for derailement of your thread...
Maybe wait for the ATI mid-range DX10 cards. With a bit of luck they will be good. If they're not, then ATI are in trouble.

Alternatively try and get an 8800GTS 320 - only about twice the price

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard