CameronPoe
+2,925|6575
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/nort … 633493.stm

At the end of the latest swathe of Irish-British violence, a 40 year mire of 'tit-for-tat' killings, British government-endorsed murder, internment without charge or trial, paramilitary-organisation conducted terrorist acts, kneecappings, punishment beatings, bombings, hunger strikes, lynch mobs, contentious marches, petrol bombs, military engagements, spying, assassination attempts and civil rights marches, the government of the Six Counties of northern Ireland return to power today with a very very different flavour.

Today is a day of hope and a day of success. The discrimination faced by Catholics in the six counties on a daily basis should by and large now be a thing of the past. 800 years of oppression could now be at an end. The people who will take up seats in this parliament at Stormont will be far more representative of the people than the gerrymandered stain on western society that the previous administration constituted. Arch enemies will face each other across conference tables and open forums rather than from behind barricades or through the targets of a sniper rifle.

The cross border insitutions that form part of the peace agreement pave the way for a speedy transition to a 32 county Republic of Ireland in the near future when the poor abandoned Irish in the north will finally cast their votes to reunify with their brethren south of the 'border', an event I will see in my lifetime.
Cougar
Banned
+1,962|6785|Dallas
So this means the tip of Northern Ireland will be Irish again?  Not entirely sure what the politics of this imply.
CameronPoe
+2,925|6575

Cougar wrote:

So this means the tip of Northern Ireland will be Irish again?  Not entirely sure what the politics of this imply.
No. It means that the path has been opened for a peaceful transition to occur. Catholic Irish in the north now have full human and civil rights and within a couple of generations will overtake the unionist community in numbers, meaning a 32 county Republic is on the cards that London won't realistically be able to complain about. The Republic has a lot more say in the affairs of the north too with many cross-border institutions created aimed at integrating our economies, etc. --> basically facilitating a future transition to a 32 county Republic.
Cougar
Banned
+1,962|6785|Dallas

CameronPoe wrote:

Cougar wrote:

No. It means that the path has been opened for a peaceful transition to occur. Catholic Irish in the north now have full human and civil rights and within a couple of generations will overtake the unionist community in numbers, meaning a 32 county Republic is on the cards that London won't realistically be able to complain about. The Republic has a lot more say in the affairs of the north too with many cross-border institutions created aimed at integrating our economies, etc. --> basically facilitating a future transition to a 32 county Republic.
Awesome!  Good on you Irishmen.

I never understood why the British cared so much about Northern Ireland, but it's nice to see that someday they can maybe stay on their own island and leave others alone.
CameronPoe
+2,925|6575

Cougar wrote:

Awesome!  Good on you Irishmen.

I never understood why the British cared so much about Northern Ireland, but it's nice to see that someday they can maybe stay on their own island and leave others alone.
The funny thing is that London, i.e. England, couldn't care less about Northern Ireland - they'd let go of it in a heartbeat. They just couldn't be seen to lose face against the IRA and couldn't be seen to abandon the Brits that were in the six counties. The IRA turned Northern Ireland into a gigantic crippling economic ball and chain for Britain during its campaign. London would have dumped it long ago if it could have found a convenient way.
ProudLimey
+3|6456

Cougar wrote:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unionism_%28Ireland%29

I apologise for posting a wiki article, but without writing a 10000 word essay on the matter it is the only other thing I could do to to respond to that. There are two sides to every coin, and so far you've seen only the one, with some rose-tinted specs along the way;)

Last edited by ProudLimey (2007-05-08 03:52:13)

apollo_fi
The Flying Kalakukko.
+94|6551|The lunar module

CameronPoe wrote:

Catholic Irish in the north now have full human and civil rights and within a couple of generations will overtake the unionist community in numbers
JahManRed
wank
+646|6648|IRELAND

I honestly didn't know if I should laugh, cry or run hysterically round the garden naked at the sight and sounds of McGuinnes & Paisley cracking jokes with the each other. The last time they went into power it felt overly forced and unrealistic. This time it feels more real and achievable.
Few things piss me of tho. Like Peter Robinson praising the UVF for standing down even though they are retaining all their weapons??? Not a month ago he was blasting the IRA who have been on ceasefire for years and have destroyed all their guns??
The UDA are still active and still involved in all kinds of criminality.
How money which is supposed to kick start our economy and help every one in N.I is being used to pay of the UDA and UVF and fund gangsters lifestyles.
But aside from that, I am genuinely excited about a more prosperous Northern Ireland were we aren't seen as the sick man of Europe and I don't have to work night and day to get a decent standard of living.
sergeriver
Cowboy from Hell
+1,928|6777|Argentina
Congratulations to all the Irish people.
IG-Calibre
comhalta
+226|6763|Tír Eoghan, Tuaisceart Éireann
Aye, about time and all - well until the loyalist insurgency starts
BVC
+325|6716
As I understand it, Ireland (sans 6 counties) has become quite prosperous in recent times and things have improved quite a bit.  Would the same lift in living standards start to appear in the six counties upon integration with the rest of Ireland?  If so, do you think this may help temper any unionist anger?
IG-Calibre
comhalta
there's an old saying - unionists are loyal to the crown, not the "half crown" (old money coin) but it's the same sentiment, if you catch my drift..
=OBS= EstebanRey
+256|6570|Oxford, England, UK, EU, Earth
Does the UK still exist now?
CameronPoe
+2,925|6575

=OBS= EstebanRey wrote:

Of course, you've still got Wales and .... Scotland .... (!)

Last edited by CameronPoe (2007-05-08 08:20:38)

blisteringsilence
I'd rather hunt with Cheney than ride with Kennedy
+83|6722|Little Rock, Arkansas

Pubic wrote:

As I understand it, Ireland (sans 6 counties) has become quite prosperous in recent times and things have improved quite a bit.  Would the same lift in living standards start to appear in the six counties upon integration with the rest of Ireland?  If so, do you think this may help temper any unionist anger?
OR, would the 6 counties be such a drain on the economy of Ireland that most people, solidarity aside, wish the reunion never happened, a la West Germany in 1995?
IG-Calibre
comhalta

blisteringsilence wrote:

Pubic wrote:

OR, would the 6 counties be such a drain on the economy of Ireland that most people, solidarity aside, wish the reunion never happened, a la West Germany in 1995?
the short pithy answer would be no.
CameronPoe
+2,925|6575

IG-Calibre wrote:

blisteringsilence wrote:

Pubic wrote:

Shockingly, IG, I've come across people who are of that mentality. They're called Fine Gaelers. It's pretty damn shocking. The Fine Gael party should rename itself the Mé Féin party. They sold you out in the 1920s so I guess it's not all that unexpected that they'd be prepared to sell you out in their own self interest again today though I suppose.

Last edited by CameronPoe (2007-05-08 08:49:11)

IG-Calibre
comhalta

CameronPoe wrote:

IG-Calibre wrote:

blisteringsilence wrote:

Shockingly, IG, I've come across people who are of that mentality. They're called Fine Gaelers. It's pretty damn shocking. The Fine Gael party should rename itself the Mé Féin party. They sold you out in the 1920s so I guess it's not all that unexpected that they'd be prepared to sell you out in their own self interest again today though I suppose.
That's your opinion CP and you're entitled to it and I respect it, however to say that Fine Gael would not aspire to a united Ireland is pretty damn silly..

Edit : The real sell out was the removal of articles 2 and 3 of the Constitution at the turn of the Century

Last edited by IG-Calibre (2007-05-08 10:39:15)

=OBS= EstebanRey
+256|6570|Oxford, England, UK, EU, Earth

CameronPoe wrote:

=OBS= EstebanRey wrote:

I said UK, as in United Kingdom.  You're talking about Great Britain. 

GB = ENG, SCO, WAL
UK = ENG, SCO, WAL, NI

C'mon Poe, I'd expect that ignorance from an American but not from you .  So, does the United Kingdom still exist?

Last edited by =OBS= EstebanRey (2007-05-08 10:39:33)

Switch
Knee Deep In Clunge
+489|6483|Tyne & Wear, England

Cougar wrote:

I don't care about keeping Northern Ireland, I would prefer it was Irish once again, and most of my countrymen who I have spoken with are of the same opinion.

Perhaps you base your assumption too heavily on the Falklands (and our colonial past).

Last edited by KILLSWITCH (2007-05-08 10:39:48)

Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known.
IG-Calibre
comhalta

=OBS= EstebanRey wrote:

CameronPoe wrote:

=OBS= EstebanRey wrote:

I said UK, as in United Kingdom.  You're talking about Great Britain. 

GB = ENG, SCO, WAL
UK = ENG, SCO, WAL, NI

C'mon Poe, I'd expect that ignorance from an American but not from you .  So, does the United Kingdom still exist?
Oh c'mon do you think if the UK ceased to exist today that you wouldn't have heard more talk about it for goodness sakes?
Lost Hope
Lurker
+20|6347|Brussels, Belgium

sergeriver wrote:

QFE, and I really hope that I will see the reunification in my lifetime.

Got any ideas of the time it would take ?  20 years ? 30?
https://bf3s.com/sigs/9c9f8f6ff3579a4c711aa54bbb9e928ec0786003.png
JahManRed
wank
+646|6648|IRELAND

Lost Hope wrote:

sergeriver wrote:

Don't know, but its every Republican in the North duty to burn the condoms, throw out your missus's pill and get riding like a mad man. I have increase the Republican vote by one and I'm not done yet!!!!
Lost Hope
Lurker
+20|6347|Brussels, Belgium

JahManRed wrote:

Lost Hope wrote:

sergeriver wrote:

Don't know, but its every Republican in the North duty to burn the condoms, throw out your missus's pill and get riding like a mad man. I have increase the Republican vote by one and I'm not done yet!!!!
Congratulations and keep going
https://bf3s.com/sigs/9c9f8f6ff3579a4c711aa54bbb9e928ec0786003.png
Turquoise
O Canada
+1,596|6425|North Carolina

apollo_fi wrote:

CameronPoe wrote:

Catholic Irish in the north now have full human and civil rights and within a couple of generations will overtake the unionist community in numbers
Exactly!  LOL...

But seriously, I'm glad that peace and total transition seem to be in the near future for Northern Ireland.  I think the only real hurdle will be economic integration since Northern Ireland has a much lower standard of living than the rest of Ireland.  Rapid population growth isn't really a good thing when it comes to that.

Overcoming poverty will require decreasing population growth actually.  Of course, Monty Python gives us a good view of the Catholic stereotype regarding birth control....

Last edited by Turquoise (2007-05-08 12:57:17)

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard