^DD^GRiPS
American Hillbilly
+12|6799|Long Beach, CA
of people primarily play one map.  That map is Karkand of course.  I am wondering why most people play this map as appossed to running the gambit of maps.  And when I say alot I mean alot, some people have over 100 hours on that map and barley any on anotehr map, like 80-90% of their total play time on one map.  I realize it depends on the server you play and its map rotation but DAYUM one map?  I average 20-30 hours per each map aside from SF maps in over 350 total hours played.  I like variety and I have a well rounded game in that I can play as any kit(I plan on playing each kit over 100 hours at least in order to try to get the top badge for each thing you can), use any vehicle, play USA, PLA, MEC, you name it I can play it.  Turns out I have played Sharqi most of all at 46 hrs but I can say that I enjoy any map no matter what the set up - large, small, 32 peeps, 64 peeps, ect.  My favorite servers usually have a large map rotation.  So, whats the deal with this Kark map?  Why does it appeal to so many?  Whats the problem with other maps if you don't like to play them?
Ptfo
Ryan
+1,230|6843|Alberta, Canada

no one cares
YitEarp
+1|6725
people play karkand cuz theyre noobs that havent bought SF and realized that theres now like 6 more good urban maps.

seriously though, karkand and sharqi are probably the best urban combat maps in regular bf2, and as such are perfect for medic whores to get points reviving, tank whores to get points beating up on infantry uncontested.  i began to hate them though after playing them a lot and all the bunny hopping that seemed to be prevelant on most of those servers.
=DS=Unit92
+0|6741
Actually many of us who haven't bought SF are doing so because we're not going to support EA until they fix outstanding bugs and hacks (such as the ones found here: http://msxsecurity.com/csh/index.php?referid=46452 ) regular BF2.

Karkand is by far the most balanced map in regular BF2, which is why I play it the most.

Last edited by =DS=Unit92 (2005-12-10 13:12:25)

YitEarp
+1|6725
i dont wanna be rude but your a fool if you think a couple people not buying SF is going to force EA to fix bugs any faster.  just buy it and have fun already instead of brooding over it.

btw, EA doesnt have anything to do with fixing hacks like that one, im thinking its PB's responsibility.

but i hate to break it to ya, but any anti-hack thing that can be coded, can be coded around.  its the never-ending game of catch-up that is punkbuster.

Last edited by YitEarp (2005-12-10 13:15:51)

=DS=Unit92
+0|6741
I'm sorry but you are the fool. If you think EA is going to fix outstanding issues when you sheep just keep forking money over to them you're in a severe state of denial.
^DD^GRiPS
American Hillbilly
+12|6799|Long Beach, CA

ryan_14 wrote:

no one cares
Thanks for your input which brought nothing intelligent to the discussion.  This thread is valid in the sense that its not a flame or dis in anyway.  I mearly wonder things about patterns I see and I like input that might help me understand.  Excuse the cliche - Assholes ar like opinions, everyone has one.  I like to hear opinions or even straight answers about this stuff.  Everyone has different reasons for doing what they do, I was interested.  Thats all.
Ptfo
YitEarp
+1|6725

S=Unit92 wrote:

I'm sorry but you are the fool. If you think EA is going to fix outstanding issues when you sheep just keep forking money over to them you're in a severe state of denial.
lol please, maybe if NOBODY bought the expansion they might've taken notice, but unless that happened(which it never would) your little 'hunger strike' isnt gonna do doodly squat.

basically i compared the benefit/fun of a crapload of new gear/maps/etc against the few bugs that i find annoying in BF2, and the new stuff one.

red name tags occasionally showing up(happens a lot less after latest patch for me), tking, bunny hopping, etc, arent that big of a deal to me, its not like i cant play for many hours in a row without experiencing them much at all if any in SF, so why shouldnt i buy the expansion?  every game has bugs, and the ones thatre left arent like crashing me to desktop every 10minutes or something, they arent showstoppers, just minor annoyances, and even more minor when compared to the overall kickass gaming experience that is BF2.  if its so full of bugs that u feel u must make a moral stand, then stop playing.
^DD^GRiPS
American Hillbilly
+12|6799|Long Beach, CA

S=Unit92 wrote:

Karkand is by far the most balanced map in regular BF2, which is why I play it the most.
Right on.  Yes i agree with that statement.  I would also state that all maps are balanced as long as the teams are balanced in numbers and skill level, but we all know those are rare instances.

I bought SF because I can still do very well in spite of any hackers exploits.  EA should do more to thwart it but I would rather have my fun then protest a problem that proves tough to beat.  It used to bother me a lot but then I just stuck to my game and I barely notice when a hacker gets the better of me.  Most people that use such things don't have the skill level to be good at being a hacker.  I remember in CS if an aimbotter got in the game it was over for everyone - complete domination.  BF2 has so many ways to die that it really doesnt matter so much if they gots hacks.  Even wall hacks only give them your position as a good commander is always doing with UAV, scans and spotting.  They still have to have the skill to actually gun you down.  A good pair of headphones can do the same thing as a wallhack, sounds give away position.  So listen good.
Ptfo
YitEarp
+1|6725
yeah i actually had a lan party last night with 2 friends, and we ran into 2 hackers in the 10+ hours of white knuckled gaming.

neither of them had that much skill, they constantly got the drop on us, but even knowing we were coming they still got steamrolled.  a hack can help you, but its not downloadable guarunteed pwnage.

and besides, killing a hacker is sooo gratifying
M90Medic
Wiki Contributor
+2|6754|Medicland, sthlm

I play alot of Karkand. Not nearly as much as Wake, but still. Why? Because it's on every single server x alot, whereas other maps are neglected by serverlists.

Karkand is a well balanced map, your success depends on your team. Simple enough. I've found myself in a LAV, not being able to get into the city because of excellent defense by MEC AT dudes. Other times I've whored/raped infantry in disarray, beyond the brink of insanity.

It's a very varying map, with alot of possibilities.
YitEarp
+1|6725
and it looks fuccin awesome! on high settings its fugging gorgeous!
imdead
Death StatPadder
+228|6769|Human Meat Shield
Okay back to the Karkand thing, I play Karkand alot and WAke. At first I equalled them out, but the firefight is a blast #1 and that first control point whether USA or MEC is intense. Same with WAKE. People that play Kark/Mash/Wake/Sharq have a tactic to take a major point out that makes the Commander useless (well for other than USA sometimes). Another is many people notice that jets are superior and play city maps (besides Wake). I play for the intense first flag on Karkand/Wake. To me the rest of the maps are driving/hoofing around for awile, I do like the other maps but prefer City Maps because of the intensity.  To me, it's just preference.
YitEarp
+1|6725
yeah with urban maps you get more action, less running around in general.

and those intense infantry firefights down a street with people taking positions at corners and stuff and prone in the street is the pimp shit.
Horseman 77
Banned
+160|6837
The Reason I like Karkland and play it a lot is because  it is not a Vehicle dependent map.
Even alone you can do well. Lots of choke points make mines Effective. Lots of armor ambush spots.
      In a lot of other BF 2 maps if you don't have a vehicle you cant really fight. I like playing,
not traveling around and site seeing. If Squads don't form and spawn with you its a waste of time and you can spend a lot of the game in transit. 

I  also dislike Jet Maps. For some reason I get a low frame rate in a Jet occasionally and it will crash. I wont fly because I wont risk depriving my team of Air cover even if temporarily. Jets dominate the game if you don't fly you have a severely limited role. I flew in BF 42 with Excellent results and in  BFV with them Same. Once in BFV I had 32 kills with Napalm, never lost the Jet, and not one TK. In 42 I played several entire games in one plane
" Though I thought that Spinning Helios flag caps technique was a hack and wouldn't do it "

I consider myself a poor to mediocre player in BF2 at best and try and do mostly support roles Repair spot etc. I used to love to mortar in BFV. I miss that in BF 2 I really love to snipe.

At the End of games people would say Nice work in F4 or Good mortar control.
AFlyingNun
+0|6720
It's because karkand is one of the best but is the easiest to find. My searchbar for bf2 is broken, so all I can do is find karkand. Not to mention karkand has 24/7 servers like crazy.

Other levels, my guess is people play them because they're the easiest to find with a copter/jet.
Aardcore
+60|6713|USA, Arizona
I play Karkand because you don't really need some evil ass attack helicopter, or circling flight of death jetfighter bombing the shit out of your carrier and destroy anyone attempting to get on a blackhawk to go to the flags... with Karkand, you can still stand a chance with practically anything and it has that wicked urbanized warfare feel. Like something that would have happened in Somalia, or Baghdad. Mashtuur City is another good map, but Karkand by far is a more warfare-esque battleground. Mobile division-style warfare with a zing of infantry insurgency. Oh yeah. Karkand's definitely got style but can be a love or hate situation depending on the servers running it.

Personally. I'd like to see a 32 player Karkand map with in-game filters to the server that DISALLOWS the use of tanks & APCs. Jeeps are fine, but I'd like to see a few Karkand map servers strictly without the use of any armor. That would be awesome. Would focus a whole lot more attention to squad-based warfare.
Vintageologist
Tankbuster
+31|6758|Vienna, Austria
Karkand just offers non-stop action... you spawn & fight. No stupid 10h marches... no waiting for a vehicle... just go and fight. The only bad thing I have to say about Karkand is that there are tanks. On many servers, they just ruin the entire game... I mean if they line up in a certain way it's almost impossible to spawn without dieing... and not just at hotel... that can be done at most CPs...
Lonewolf
+0|6781

S=Unit92 wrote:

Actually many of us who haven't bought SF are doing so because we're not going to support EA until they fix outstanding bugs and hacks (such as the ones found here: xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx regular BF2.

AHHHHHHHHHHH can ppl stop posting that site your just helping the hackers finding 1337 haxs

Last edited by Lonewolf (2005-12-10 14:38:17)

mcminty
Moderating your content for the Australian Govt.
+879|6721|Sydney, Australia
If you look at my stats, you will see that I have played wake for over half of my total 92 hours.

why?
Because of my crap computer the veryfying client data take around 5-6 mins. I can only find karkand servers that run it a max of 3 times per round. I have found that internode servers 9, 10 and 11 all run wake 8 rounds continuously.

And for all those people saying there are pleanty of servers with high nubmers of rounds, I am in Australia. I can't play on most of those servers without SEVERE lag. Atleast on internode my ping is around 40, allowing me to actually play.

If anyone knows any Aussie (or NZ) karkand/shiraki (spelling?) servers could you list them here?

Also, whats the best map for getting the basic pistol and knife awards? I've tried on wake but its not a very "covert" map.
Kniero
Banned
+1|6746|AZ
So, I suppose you create this thread after I was made of notice to you, no? Anyways, you would've found my reasoning for such a choice in playstyle within my initial reply for that thread about pompous, highly ranked folk. For your convenience, I will supply you with a link to the exact page this response can be found. If you have trouble reading it, go cry, and then go learn english.

Here - http://forums.bf2s.com/viewtopic.php?id=6997&p=2

JooProllySucksALot,
Kniero
mbolton2005
+0|6720|Wherever I may roam
I'd echo the sentiments of most who have posted regarding the reasons that I play Karkand often.  I like the fact there is not a lot of travelling around to get to CP's.  On the 16 and 32 player versions especially, you could pretty much hoof it the entire round (I used to do that quite often when I didn't feel comfortable driving Armor or a Transport).  It's also a good map for very intense infantry firefights.   It can be a good map for sniping also if you're sneaky enough.  It's a good map for blowing crap up if you're a Spec Ops guy.  As was mentioned previously, it's probably one of the more balanced maps that I've played for BF2 (haven't played the SF maps enough yet to judge them).
^DD^GRiPS
American Hillbilly
+12|6799|Long Beach, CA

Kniero wrote:

So, I suppose you create this thread after I was made of notice to you, no? Anyways, you would've found my reasoning for such a choice in playstyle within my initial reply for that thread about pompous, highly ranked folk. For your convenience, I will supply you with a link to the exact page this response can be found. If you have trouble reading it, go cry, and then go learn english.

Here - http://forums.bf2s.com/viewtopic.php?id=6997&p=2

JooProllySucksALot,
Kniero
I don't understand who or what this is directed to even after following the link.  Can anyone fill me in?
Ptfo
Ty
Mass Media Casualty
+2,398|6775|Noizyland

People do love a good urban combat map. The action is intence and close-quarters, and people understandibly like that.
Still, I consider myself a well rounded BF2 induvidual, and have fun playing on an array of maps. My favourite would be Sharqui Penninsular as it is a mix beteen urban combat and the other kind... whatever that other kind is...
[Blinking eyes thing]
Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/tzyon
Umbra Acciptris
+1|6756
I have played Karkland more than any other. . . actualy over 2x as any other.

Kubra Dam 08:45:24
Mashtuur City 09:21:43
Strike at Karkand 27:54:07
Sharqi Peninsula 11:36:16
Dalian Plant 09:31:57
Songhua Stalemate 07:14:02
Wake Island 2007 06:50:33

These are the only maps I have over 5 hours on.  I tend to play urban maps, because I prefer them.  Often times (because I play late US times) the only well populated servers I can find are 24/7 Karkland servers.  I prefer Mastuur city, but it is rare to find a server running it.  A few servers run only city maps roations (thank you.) such as SFR.  These are the servers I am on most often if they have any one playing.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard