Cougar
Banned
+1,962|6791|Dallas
Joseph Kittenger>You and your entire family.

This guy wins.  Simply wins.  You will never be half as awesome as this guy.

Here is a short list from Wiki of the feats this man has accomplished:

Made a series of three parachute jumps wearing a pressurized suit, from a helium balloon with an open gondola.

The first, from 76,400 feet (23,287 m) in November, 1959 was a near tragedy when an equipment malfunction caused him to lose consciousness, but the automatic parachute saved him (he went into a flat spin at a rotational velocity of 120 rpm, the G factor at his extremities was calculated to be over 22 times that of gravity, setting another record). Three weeks later he jumped again from 74,700 feet (22,769 m). For that return jump Kittinger was awarded the Leo Stevens parachute medal.

On August 16, 1960 he made the final jump from the Excelsior III at 102,800 feet (31,330 m). He was in freefall for 4 minutes and 36 seconds reaching a maximum speed of 614 mph (988 km/h) before opening his parachute at 18,000 feet (5,500 m). Pressurization for his right glove malfunctioned during the ascent, causing his hand to swell. He set records for highest balloon ascent, highest parachute jump, longest freefall and fastest speed by a man through the atmosphere. [1]

The jumps were made in a "rocking-chair" position, descending on his back, rather than the usual delta familiar to skydivers, because he was wearing a 60-lb "kit" on his behind and his pressure suit naturally formed that shape when inflated, a shape appropriate for sitting in an airplane cockpit.

For the series of jumps, Kittinger was decorated with an oak leaf cluster to his D.F.C. and awarded the Harmon Trophy by President Dwight Eisenhower.

Back at Holloman AFB he also took part in Project Stargazer on December 13–14, 1962. He and William C. White, an astronomer, took a balloon of equipment to a height of 82,200 feet (25,055 m) and spent over eighteen hours at that height in performing observations.

Kittinger later served three combat tours during the Vietnam War, flying a total of 483 missions, the first two tours as an aircraft commander in A-26 Invaders. On a voluntary third tour in 1971-72, he commanded the F-4 Phantom 555th Tactical Fighter Squadron and then became vice commander of the 432nd Tactical Reconnaissance Wing. Col. Kittinger was shot down during a MiG engagement on May 11, 1972, just before the end of his tour and spent 11 months as a prisoner of war in the "Hanoi Hilton" prison. Kittinger was senior officer among the newer POWs (those captured after 1969) and in John D. Sherwood's Fast Movers is described as having been in serious conflict with his fellow prisoners over his leadership style.

He retired as a colonel in 1978 and went to work for Martin Marietta. Still interested in ballooning, he won the Gordon Bennett Cup in ballooning three times (1982, 1984, 1985) and completed the first solo Atlantic crossing in the 106,000 cubic foot (3,000 m³) Balloon of Peace" - Rosie O'Grady from September 14–18, 1984, (National Geographic Feb, 1985).

Kittinger wrote a book, published in 1961, called The Long, Lonely Leap. Now long out of print, surviving copies are expensive, but as of November 2005 a reprint is planned.

In 1997, he was inducted into the National Aviation Hall of Fame in Dayton, Ohio. [2]. Kittinger lives in the Orlando, Florida area and is Vice President of Flight Operations for Rosie O'Grady's Flying Circus. He is still active in the aviation community as a consultant and touring barnstormer.

On January 23, 2007 the Civil Air Patrol (CAP), the United States Air Force Auxiliary, honored Joe by renaming the TX-352 Squadron for him. Texas Governor Rick Perry cited Joe's work as did the Texas Senate with a special resolution presented during the dedication ceremony attended by Joe and his wife Sherry. The Col. Joseph W. Kittinger Phantom Senior Squadron of CAP's Texas Wing, is based at Austin-Bergstrom International Airport.

Here are a few video's of this man having a bigger penis than you.

seymorebutts443
Ready for combat
+211|6621|Belchertown Massachusetts, USA
this guy owns, i've always wondered what he was thinking in those 4 minutes of freefall.
MorbiD.ShoT
Stormin' through the party
+322|6622
Wasn't John McCain also in "Hanoi Hilton" in Vietnam when he was shot down?

Edit: Yes, yes he was.

Last edited by MorbiD.ShoT (2007-05-02 12:11:17)

M.O.A.B
'Light 'em up!'
+1,220|6249|Escea

seymorebutts443 wrote:

this guy owns, i've always wondered what he was thinking in those 4 minutes of freefall.
Probably what he was going to do in the next four minutes. But I agree, awesome guy
will180
Power Lurker
+27|6693|Jacksonville, Florida
This guy went to my school. For Real.
mcgid1
Meh...
+129|6743|Austin, TX/San Antonio, TX

seymorebutts443 wrote:

Probably "damn, if I knew I was going to be falling for this long I would have brought a playboy".
XanKrieger
iLurk
+60|6684|South West England
Christ thats some air, 100k+ feet, 4 minutes freefall...., if he brought an iPod, I wonder what song he would have listened to lol

I was I could ever hope to achieve something that incredible, that sort of experience must be beyond simply going into space, jumping from the border of it back down to earth .... nice

Last edited by XanKrieger (2007-05-02 15:13:55)

SplinterStrike
Roamer
+250|6437|Eskimo land. AKA Canada.
O.o

Wow.
Tripp
I wanna be on you
+116|6553|So Cal
Chuck is my cousin, and I still say this guy is amazing.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard