Ryan
+1,230|6813|Alberta, Canada

Talk about a blunt topic name.
Mitch
16 more years
+877|6495|South Florida

GunSlinger OIF II wrote:

could anyone share their personal experiences with getting one?
my dad and my friend both had one. They invented this thing called 'the hernia club' its just something your in once you get a hernia
15 more years! 15 more years!
BVC
+325|6665
Sooner or later you're going to have to go to a doc, best to get it seen to.  What are the chances of it being picked up during the physical?  Could be a good chance to cop less shit.
GunSlinger OIF II
Banned.
+1,860|6613

rdx-fx wrote:

Army doctors are great at keeping you from dying from high speed metal puncture wounds.  For everything else, there's masterc... For everything else, they're about as competent as trained monkeys with scalpels.  Poorly trained monkeys at that.
haha, god damn motrin mobiles.   never went on sick call.  actually once for a mandatory dental appointment, i was cat 4. but damn,  i got a PT test on sunday.
DooM
+28|6276

Hurricane wrote:

DesertFox- wrote:

Dude, I need to stop consulting Wikipedia for medical knowledge. First it was circumcision, then vasectomy (both due to ATG :shakes fist: ) and now hernias---yeeech.
You people need to look up "testicular torsion" on Wikipedia. That's probably one of the most terrifying things any man can read about.
"In testicular torsion the spermatic cord that provides the blood supply to a testicle is twisted, cutting off the blood supply, often causing orchalgia. Prolonged testicular torsion will result in the death of the testicle and surrounding tissues."

"Testicular torsion is a medical emergency that needs immediate treatment. After 6 hours there is about 12% chance of saving the testicle, and after 8 hours the possibility is decreased further.[citation needed] Once the testicle is dead it must be removed to prevent gangrenous infection."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Testicular_torsion

Holy..... reading this stuff makes you paranoid, theres probly 1000's of things that can go wrong or are common but people don't realize. I reckon if you read all this it would make a lot of people paranoid.
Airwolf
Latter Alcoholic
+287|6689|Scotland
what's the chance of getting one?

I really don't like the sound of it and it's made me ever more sensitive about that area :s
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6601|949

rdx-fx wrote:

GunSlinger OIF II wrote:

rdx-fx wrote:

Army doctors are great at keeping you from dying from high speed metal puncture wounds.  For everything else, there's masterc... For everything else, they're about as competent as trained monkeys with scalpels.  Poorly trained monkeys at that.
haha, god damn motrin mobiles.   never went on sick call.  actually once for a mandatory dental appointment, i was cat 4. but damn,  i got a PT test on sunday.
Man, it's not worth having your balls pop off during the sit-up part of a PT test - just so some dumbass doesn't look at you funny for 'going profile'.

Put another way;
You have a piece of equipment with a bent $1.00 part.  Do you;
1) Keep using that piece of equipment, until the whole thing blows up in your face, ruining a $10,000 item and your face.
-or-
2) Deadline the equipment for however long it takes to fix the $1.00 part.

You're not in Iraq.
Noone's going to die because you're not on the '240 this week.
Ooh ooh, is this a Choose Your Own Adventure?  Ummm, 2.  What happens?
Teebaggs1
X-LG Member
+25|6719|Maine, MA, and PJ concerts

Cougar wrote:

GunSlinger OIF II wrote:

i dont much about this.  ever since my hardcharging infantry days in active duty ive had a lump on my...um.... groinal area.  its a lump and it gets sore.  except after i do some strainous activites like a long run and ALWAYS on a road march, afterwards I feel this pain for quite a long time.  its always the same spot and it always gets me going on a limp.   never saw a doctor bout it because sick call is for pussies...not really but you get a lot of shit for sick call.  makes it look like your trying to get off of work.  so ive pretty much forgotten about it until yesterday when i did my first real road march in quite a long time and im hurting now.   ive always been hesitant to call it a hernia because as i always understood, hernias hurt like a bitch and this shit hurts, but this is nowhere near to most painful.  its been the same spot for years.
Dude, same thing happened to me in the military.  I had a lump on the left side of my dick that got sore alot.  If I pushed on it, I could make it go back in and sometimes it didn't even hurt.  Turns out, your muscle has torn in that area and your intestines are poking through.  The doctor told me that if I didn't get it fixed that it could get pinched off and the intestine could die, causing all sorts of nastiness.  My surgery and recovery were pretty quick, had the operation in the morning and walked out of the hospital that night plus I got to experience the wonderful joys of morphine.

However, hernia incisions are notorious for getting infected/not healing/something fucking up.  Mine was no exception.  A few days after my surgery, I'm sitting in a lawn chair sipping a bud and I had to get up and go pee.   When I stood up I felt something wet in my basketball shorts and I thought I had pissed myself.  When I looked in my shorts it looked like someone has melted 5 big sticks of butter and poured it into my pants.  I had developed a staff infection and didn't even know it.  When it popped through the incision it was massive puss.  I went into the bathroom and was literally covered in puss and if I pushed on my abdomen, more puss would bubble out of the wound.  It was literally running down both legs and pooling up at my feet.  So after I go back to the doctor again and have it cleaned it does it AGAIN. 

To this day I still have problems with my incision and I had my surgery 2 years ago.  Every now and then a small hole will open and a small amount of fluid will drain and then it will close up again.  I won't even notice except for a little crusty spot on my underwear where the incision touches my drawers.  Definitely the worst operation/recovery I've ever been through.
I just threw up in my cereal...
GunSlinger OIF II
Banned.
+1,860|6613
i have now been ordered to see a doctor
Flaming_Maniac
prince of insufficient light
+2,490|6676|67.222.138.85
My god. When I was 8 I had an appendicitis, but it was only diagnosed after extensive testing. Somewhere in the middle of all that, they told me that eventually I would have a hernia at some point, but not any time soon. Reading this thread has just filled me with joy about the impending experience.

Good fucking luck GunSlinger
GunSlinger OIF II
Banned.
+1,860|6613
Its official i have a right inguinal hernia or something like that.   im on desk duty and ill be on convalescence for 4 to 6 weeks after the surgery. my first surgery.  i got absolutely zero problem with going under the knife.  best part about this is once i get the surgery done, ill be collecting a fat paycheck for those 4-6 weeks relaxing at the house without going to battle assembly.  itll be like im back on active duty while im home. 

I had the nut check today, some old nice unattractive lady nurse. little awkward because she had to have some 6'5" guy standing right next to me and her while grabbed my nuts and made me cough."Oh yup, thats a hernia."

I felt like rambo when she asked me if I wanted any narcotics like tylenol 3 with codeine or vicadin.  not that big of a deal of a drug but I told her "i dont need no god damn painkillers" (a little more tactfully ofcourse) .  fucking motrin is what they gave me, infantrymans candy.

RDX,  I am a 240

Last edited by GunSlinger OIF II (2007-06-10 17:53:20)

Hurricane
Banned
+1,153|6600|Washington, DC

GunSlinger OIF II wrote:

RDX,  I am a 240
What's the deviation on you? My PKM's been untrustworthy.

Sorry to hear about the hernia, but if it's not too bad post-op I guess it's worth the nice medical pay =p
Sgt.Kyle
Kyle
+48|6453|P-way, NJ
damn it, I wished I nevered open this damn topic, now im scared =*(, kinda sounds like it hurts really realllllly reaaaaaaaaaaaalllllllllllllly bad
GunSlinger OIF II
Banned.
+1,860|6613
they say its only a day surgery, in and out with a minimal scar.  i dont care bout scars though, the more the merrier.  they cut it up and push in the peice of intestine thats protuding and they close it
Stingray24
Proud member of the vast right-wing conspiracy
+1,060|6415|The Land of Scott Walker
Yep, I had the exact same thing.  Doc said it's quite common in guys to get those.  Surgery is outpatient, just take it easy for how ever long they tell you so it heals properly.  Not fun to have to be re-repaired.
Fallschirmjager10
+36|6430

GunSlinger OIF II wrote:

they say its only a day surgery, in and out with a minimal scar.  i dont care bout scars though, the more the merrier.  they cut it up and push in the peice of intestine thats protuding and they close it
eww
T.Pike
99 Problems . . .
+187|6252|Pennsyltucky

GunSlinger OIF II wrote:

could anyone share their personal experiences with getting one?
I was probably 9 or so when I got mine, carrying a "portable TV" that weighed about as much as I did.

Double-hernia repair a few months later, not fun but not as bad as I thought it would be.
CommieChipmunk
+488|6539|Portland, OR, USA

Hurricane wrote:

DesertFox- wrote:

Dude, I need to stop consulting Wikipedia for medical knowledge. First it was circumcision, then vasectomy (both due to ATG :shakes fist: ) and now hernias---yeeech.
You people need to look up "testicular torsion" on Wikipedia. That's probably one of the most terrifying things any man can read about.
btw... don't type that into google images..

I just got the urge to brush my teeth.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard