Mekstizzle
WALKER
+3,611|6652|London, England
Wouldn't wanna be inside a Bradley when it gets hit by an RPG, shit must give you at least a headache from hell...
GunSlinger OIF II
Banned.
+1,860|6675
most of the time, they dont detonate and bounce right off and end up blowing up somewhere else.  thats why you have this silly RPG shaped dent on a lot of tracks that have been in theater for a good amount of time.

Last edited by GunSlinger OIF II (2008-04-07 14:28:05)

Shocking
sorry you feel that way
+333|6030|...

GunSlinger OIF II wrote:

most of the time, they dont detonate and bounce right off and end up blowing up somewhere else.  thats why you have this silly RPG shaped dent on a lot of tracks that have been in theater for a good amount of time.
wtf

how? who designed that wonderous machine?

Last edited by dayarath (2008-04-07 14:28:48)

inane little opines
M.O.A.B
'Light 'em up!'
+1,220|6254|Escea

dayarath wrote:

GunSlinger OIF II wrote:

wtf

the armor skirts delfect the blast from the warhead i think, or it just fails to go off.
blademaster
I'm moving to Brazil
+2,075|6676
This is the one I had it was bad ass

https://www.warplanes.com/uploads/items/medium/CF0222TR_1.jpg
F-22 raptor
Mekstizzle
WALKER

M.O.A.B wrote:

dayarath wrote:

GunSlinger OIF II wrote:

wtf

the armor skirts delfect the blast from the warhead i think, or it just fails to go off.
The latter. They seem to just bounce off like rocks instead of detonating on impact. That's Russian Reliability for you I guess, you get what you pay for
icecold2510
+31|6325
read a book about Oregonian National guardsmen going to Iraq, stationed at what they called FOB Volunteer, there AO was Zone 22 and 50 that was in OIFI to OIFII.
GunSlinger OIF II
Banned.
+1,860|6675
just really crappy RPG's.  Old warheads.  probably stored in less than favorable conditions for who knows how long.   A lot of them do detonate.  My CO's track had an RPG go through his back ramp and killed his iraqi interpreter along with the severing the arm from the shoulder of the PSYOP team leader that was back there with him.  Another ROG I remember hitting my buddy's track right on the reactive armor and the reactive armor did exactly what it was supposed to do.  Blew up and deflected the blast.  ANd yet, this one had my name on it because I was suppose to switch out with him days before, but a bradley took an RPG along the side skirt and it went through the hell hole (the passage between the drivers compartment and the dismount area, used for evac) and a peice of metal or something bounced around inside, smashing through the engine compartment and getting the driver that i was supposed to replace square in the ass.  Engine lit on fire as well as himself and he grabbed his piss bottle (full of piss) to put the fire out and took the track out of the fight.
GunSlinger OIF II
Banned.
+1,860|6675

icecold2510 wrote:

read a book about Oregonian National guardsmen going to Iraq, stationed at what they called FOB Volunteer, there AO was Zone 22 and 50 that was in OIFI to OIFII.
My platoon was attached to those very same guys youre talking about.  We were the active army unit of bradleys that were from the 1st Cav.  2/7 Cav, part of the 39th BCT Spent a lot of time in FOB Volunteer as well, the olympic stadium.  the Oregon guys were 2/162 I believe and the arkansas guys we were attached to were 3/153.  Worked really closely with the oregon NG in Taji too.  I remember the Bravo Bulldogs comapany commander still.  He was some kind of SWAT officer on his civilian world.

FOB Volunteer used to be called FOB Provider.

what book is that, maybe they talk about us.

Last edited by GunSlinger OIF II (2008-04-07 14:38:24)

icecold2510
+31|6325
Yup, it was the 2/162 , 2/7 Cav and 39th BCT.

it's The Devil's Sandbox

They did mention the Bravo Bulldogs, the Old Men Charlie company and such
GunSlinger OIF II
Banned.
+1,860|6675
no shit.

wow.  any chance they mention some guy they nick named "Blue"  he was in his 60's, a sgt and a vietnam veteren former marine captain that got back in just to deploy.

Captain San Miguel was that commander.  I remember seeing how shitty he felt because he lost so many guys.  I remember seeing him at the memorials all the time.

Last edited by GunSlinger OIF II (2008-04-07 14:47:58)

icecold2510
+31|6325
I don't recall them mentioning any of those guys, but there was a former marine sgt from the 80's that joined the 2/162

Last edited by icecold2510 (2008-04-07 14:53:37)

GunSlinger OIF II
Banned.
+1,860|6675
hmmm, dont ring a bell.  I wouldnt doubt that the story was embellished a bit.  I never talk to him.  I just remember my platoon sgt telling me one time on an IED sweep "see that old dude right there digging at the spot on the road looking for an IED, they call him Blue and he was a marine captain in vietnam"

any chance they mention PFC Brandon Sapp?

Last edited by GunSlinger OIF II (2008-04-07 14:55:51)

icecold2510
+31|6325
Yea, San Miguel is on the cover actually

it was a great book overall

the best chapter(s) was about the skirmish at Budweiser bridge with the Iraqi SF guys though

they mention 1st cav when 1st cav ordered all destroyed vehicles recovered.. i forgot what it was for, but i think it was when some humvees got disable and one caught on fire and one guy died and they left them there because they couldn't hold that position...

just read the index and there is no mention of a brandon sapp, but a gabe and jesse sapp

Last edited by icecold2510 (2008-04-07 15:04:08)

GunSlinger OIF II
Banned.
+1,860|6675
wasnt there.  whenever they are talking about Bradleys in that book they are talking about my platoon or Charlie Company 2/7 cav.  they shifted my platoon back and forth between taji and baghdad, between Oregon, Arkansas and our own battalion.   I was in baghdad starting in october of 04 and came back to taji in feb 05.

San Miguel on a damn book cover.  Crazy.  I could have made money.   Tell you honestly, a lot of guys in my battalion didnt like the oregon cats too much, especially in fallujah.

my platoon worked closer with them than anyone else in my company though and we always got along well, except for the prick fueler that gave us shit because we had brads and he was used to wheeled vehicles over there in volunteer.

Last edited by GunSlinger OIF II (2008-04-07 15:04:20)

GunSlinger OIF II
Banned.
+1,860|6675

icecold2510 wrote:

Yea, San Miguel is on the cover actually

it was a great book overall

the best chapter(s) was about the skirmish at Budweiser bridge with the Iraqi SF guys though

they mention 1st cav when 1st cav ordered all destroyed vehicles recovered.. i forgot what it was for, but i think it was when some humvees got disable and one caught on fire and one guy died and they left them there because they couldn't hold that position...

just read the index and there is no mention of a brandon sapp, but a gabe and jesse sapp
Sapp was the guy we lost in my platoon August 15 2004.  We were attached to Bravo Bulldogs at the time.  This same time period saw bulldogs lose a few guys.   there were these two guys

I wish I could remember their names, they were very similiar to each other and they both died from a single IED.  We were the QRF that showed up and ended up getting IED'ed ourselve.  It was my first, they missed.  It was also the first time I saw one of our own guys in a body bag.  But, we caught the fuckers that detonated it.

Last edited by GunSlinger OIF II (2008-04-07 15:08:03)

icecold2510
+31|6325
well they used the bradley a lot actually , usually almost every firefight they were in they called bradleys in

one chapter they had a dedicated one to the bradleys lol
think it was the battle at najaf , captain twaddels bradleys it says...
GunSlinger OIF II
Banned.
+1,860|6675

icecold2510 wrote:

well they used the bradley a lot actually , usually almost every firefight they were in they called bradleys in

CAPTAIN TWADDEL WAS MY CO!

he's a major now.

its funny reading that name come from somebody who wasnt in the company.

Last edited by GunSlinger OIF II (2008-04-07 15:10:45)

cowami
OY, BITCHTITS!
+1,106|6321|Noo Yawk, Noo Yawk

GunSlinger OIF II wrote:

icecold2510 wrote:

ZOMG
https://i.imgur.com/PfIpcdn.gif
GunSlinger OIF II
Banned.
+1,860|6675
imagine some stranger on the internet says he read a book about your grandfather. not saying Major Twadell was anything like that, but you do get tight with the guys in your company.  it is like a family
icecold2510
+31|6325

GunSlinger OIF II wrote:

I wish I could remember their names, they were very similiar to each other and they both died from a single IED.  We were the QRF that showed up and ended up getting IED'ed ourselve.  It was my first, they missed.  It was also the first time I saw one of our own guys in a body bag.  But, we caught the fuckers that detonated it.
was it the 'two justins'? justin linden and justin eyerly?
Flaming_Maniac
prince of insufficient light
+2,490|6738|67.222.138.85

GunSlinger OIF II wrote:

icecold2510 wrote:

he's a major now.

its funny reading that name come from somebody who wasnt in the company.
/famous
Mekstizzle
WALKER
That's pretty amazing man
GunSlinger OIF II
Banned.
+1,860|6675

icecold2510 wrote:

GunSlinger OIF II wrote:

was it the 'two justins'? justin linden and justin eyerly?
no. their last names were similiar

Eisenberger or Eisenmeyer or something like that and the other name sounds kind of the same.  I didnt really work with them personally, I just remember the similarities between their names because I was the QRF element that helped recover their bodies and arrest the detonators.  Also remember the memorial for em.

Last edited by GunSlinger OIF II (2008-04-07 15:21:28)

GunSlinger OIF II
Banned.
+1,860|6675
Spc. Benjamin W. Isenberg and Staff Sgt. David J. Weisenburg KIA September 13, 2004

Last edited by GunSlinger OIF II (2008-04-07 15:23:33)

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard