dshak
+4|6804
First I'd like to say FIFA is a shame...

How they seeded Mexico over my United States AFTER we won the CONCACAF group over them, won the CONCACAF Gold Cup over them, THEN BEAT THEM 2-0 head to head in qualifying, all this AFTER ELIMINATING THEM for the last World Cup... CRAP.

The U.S. is certainly not in a "group of death" but Italy and Czech Republic will be favorites to advance from that group, and Ghana is no slouch either having won many youth championships.

Clearly the most interesting first round match up has to be Argentina and the Netherlands. The Germans came off smelling like roses (good luck in that opening match against the mightly Ticos of Costa Rica by the way).

Bah. Either way I'll be there, just renewed my passport this week.

Also, I hope Portugal kicks Mexicos ass all over the field.

Last edited by dshak (2005-12-09 14:20:07)

[S.P.S]1on1killa
+28|6731|Germany, Berlin
just looked at the groups. DAMN!!! germany is soooo lucky, we have an easy group. btw, the US cant play for s%$t. no offence, but your soccer team gotta improve bigtime.....anyway, the groups look fair to me

Last edited by [S.P.S]1on1killa (2005-12-09 14:26:33)

fdcp_elmo
Rules over Sesamestreet
+5|6746|The Netherlands
This makes it more clear

Group A
Germany
Costa Rica
Poland
Ecuador

Group B
England
Paraguay
Trinidad and Tobago
Sweden

Group C
Argentina
Côte d'Ivoire
Serbia and Montenegro
Netherlands

Group D
Mexico
Iran
Angola
Portugal

Group E
Italy
Ghana
United States
Czech Republic

Group F
Brazil
Croatia
Australia
Japan

Group G
France
Switzerland
Korea Republic
Togo

Group H
Spain
Ukraine
Tunisia
Saudi Arabia

The Netherlands are going to have a tough one with Argentina
[S.P.S]1on1killa
+28|6731|Germany, Berlin
good job fdcp_elmo     ^^
dshak
+4|6804
buddy, don't start talking shit about the U.S.... we were quarterfinalists in the last cup, TOTALLY outplayed Germany in that match (I don't care WHAT you say, if Landon Donovan hadnt gagged on two great sitters the U.S. would have advanced) AND we've maintained a FIFA top 10 ranking for the last year and a half (even though I shouldn't use that, as I'v already personally called FIFA a shame)

I don't talk smack about your once great but now fallen empire (by the way klinsmann will not be your savior) so don't run your mouth about my rising empire... I'm not going to say the US is one of the best teams in the world, but if you look at where they were just 20 years ago... watch your ass.

There doesn't seem to be any clear group of death... but Germany definitely got the group of "soft fuzzy pink bunny rabbits"

Last edited by dshak (2005-12-09 14:33:54)

[S.P.S]1on1killa
+28|6731|Germany, Berlin
take it easy cowboy.........i didnt mean to offend you.nevertheless, your so called "empire" is simply NOT good at playing what you call soccer.

anyway, have your illusion and ill have mine
CZE_M4CH0
+0|6781|Boston,MA
hey guys...looking forward to see the U.S. team in opening match versus the Czech Republic... even though Czechs are favorites (ranked 2nd in world by FIFA) the U.S. team has improved and might be a tough challenge with their fast players and good head ball play. Also agree that Germany was very lucky, there is no serious thread, but in the same time....Germany didn't do too much at the EuroCup in Portugal, where they didn't make through the group. Now they have a new great coach and advantage of a home field...we'll see in June Good luck to all teams!
Horseman 77
Banned
+160|6828
Soccer, ... snicker
Sturmvogel
+1|6767

Horseman 77 wrote:

Soccer, ... snicker
Yeah its all about NASCAR am I right man. Yeah I can't get enough of cars running around in circles. Yeee-haw buddy, nothin better than eating freedom fries and NASCAR. Maybe after that we can watch some FOOTBALL! Watching fat men in tights who are such pansies they have to wear helmets and pads is where it's at!
Mike<Eagle23>
BF2sEU old school admin - I don't care who you are
+359|6719|Germany

I think its not easy to say what will happen to the german team, they had some good games against powerful teams like france or argentina, but also played not very good against "small" teams.
However, the Would Cup will be great. Ok, i did not get any cards but i'll visit the game Germany - USA here in my hometown (2006-3-20).
notorious
Nay vee, bay bee.
+1,396|6738|The United Center
this is probably me being a US fanboy...but whatever...

the US has come a long way in terms of their national team over the past decade.  theyre not a bad team now.  granted, theyre nowhere near the likes of brazil, england, france, germany, argentina, or the czechs, but theyre pretty good when you consider that soccer is probably the number four or five sport in the states after baseball, basketball, football, and whatever else (hockey, volleyball, bowling).  i'll be glad if they get past the first round.

who do you guys all expect to win it though?  i wouldnt be surprised to see England do it this year...i'll probably be rooting for either them or Spain.
Horseman 77
Banned
+160|6828

Sturmvogel wrote:

Horseman 77 wrote:

Soccer, ... snicker
Yeah its all about NASCAR am I right man. Yeah I can't get enough of cars running around in circles. Yeee-haw buddy, nothin better than eating freedom fries and NASCAR. Maybe after that we can watch some FOOTBALL! Watching fat men in tights who are such pansies they have to wear helmets and pads is where it's at!
It all about Polo  " Premote the Route " nice Try though.
dshak
+4|6804
1on1...

your opinion is based on nothing really, and contrary to the only thing that really matters in sport... RESULTS. I think the US teams RESULTS speak for themselves... I could really care less what you think or claim because in the end I have wins and losses against quality teams to back my opinion.

Germany gagged all over themselves in the last European Championship, and Klinsmann is unproven as a coach thus far, but they surely will advance out of what has to be the easiest world cup group in recent memory.

and as for you horesman... my old nemisis... I could come back at you with the fact that it is CLEARLY the most popular sport in the entire world, how even in the US there are more people playing it than any other sport, etc etc etc... but I won't pick another fight with you, as you will likely hunt me down and shoot me with that AK47 you use to keep the government from taking your land and forcing you to live in a communist regime.

This is a thread about the World Cup draw.. if you aren't a fan of soccer then stay out of the thread please, because nobody cares to hear what you have to say. People who enter threads on forums for the sole purpose of antagonizing others, well, there is a world for that but it escapes me at the moment... perhaps we can just use "douchebag" for the time being...

Last edited by dshak (2005-12-09 15:14:58)

CZE_M4CH0
+0|6781|Boston,MA
that is why the u.s. team sucks a bit..not enough support from their fans...as most of them are girls, most of the u.s. men have no idea about football (soccer) at all.

...and the winner is: I think brazil will be very strong as always and also netherlands has a very strong team, but maybe we'll see another surprise like the Greeks at Euro???

Last edited by CZE_M4CH0 (2005-12-09 15:16:00)

THA
im a fucking .....well not now
+609|6761|AUS, Canberra

Sturmvogel wrote:

Horseman 77 wrote:

Soccer, ... snicker
i know i cant belive they wear helmets and pads, union and league are waaaaaayyyyyyyyy tougher sports
dshak
+4|6804
funny thing is, I went to two US qualifiers this past year, and I've seen the national team (US play) 5 times in the last 4 years... and every one of those games was sold out...

so I think people who claim the US team lacks fans are just ignorant of the facts. soccer doesn't get the attention here it does elsewhere becuase there ARE other sports, unlike those places where it is the only thing people really pay attention to. however, that doesn't mean there aren't large numbers of passionate fans here.

say whatever you want about US soccer, but I watched my team, ranked 6th at the time in the world (not sure where they are now, haven't checked) in front of sold out stadiums where you could barely hear yourself think. heck at the Mexico game in Columbus this past fall it was incredible.

Its also stereotyping and ignorance at its wildest to say most US fans are girls and most US men don't understand soccer at all. This may have been true 10 or 20 years ago but it really isnt at all now. An overwhelming number of Americans play the game, and naturally as they get older they become adults who understand it... not to mention members of that older generation who have kids who play. I'm an assistant coach from a relatively obscure Division I men's soccer program... we're in a small conference called the horizon league and we've never even made it into the NCAA tournament... however we get well over 500 letters from young men interested in our program each year, and I bet the volume of recruits is 10 times that at places like Indiana, UCLA, and other powers.

please don't bring generalizations and stereotypes into this.

my pick for cup champions - The Netherlands. Historically European teams win in Europe, Brazil wins everywhere else. I think this is finally the year the Dutch get it done. The classic choke artists like England, Spain, Portugal, and Italy will all find a way to blow it. Ironically Brazil finally brings a respectable goalkeeper, but have no central defense in front of him.

Last edited by dshak (2005-12-09 15:25:51)

TriggerHappy998
just nothing
+387|6838|-
How the hell did this become a debate? It's soccer ffs, calm down.
notorious
Nay vee, bay bee.
+1,396|6738|The United Center

dshak wrote:

funny thing is, I went to two US qualifiers this past year, and I've seen the national team (US play) 5 times in the last 4 years... and every one of those games was sold out...

so I think people who claim the US team lacks fans are just ingnorant of the facts. soccer doesn't get the attention here it does elsewhere becuase there ARE other sports, unlike those places where it is the only thing people really pay attention to. however, that doesn't mean there aren't large numbers of passionate fans here.

say whatever you want about US soccer, but I watched my team, ranked 6th at the time in the world (not sure where they are now, haven't checked) in front of sold out stadiums where you could barely hear yourself think. heck at the Mexico game in Columbus this past fall it was incredible.
well theyre right for the most part.

i went to a Real Madrid game in Chicago and it was sold out, but i've also been to a bunch of chicago fire games that there have only been maybe 10000 people there.  in europe every game sells out.

the US does lack fans when compared to other parts of the world. 

no need to take it personally.  im a fan of US soccer too, and i agree, americans just dont care about soccer the way the rest of the world does.
CZE_M4CH0
+0|6781|Boston,MA
it was sold out!!...i was at the game when chelsea played with a.c milan here in foxboro last summer ...but when i looked around there were no typical americans around me...brazilians, mexicans, polish and other so i would be a little skeptic about that.
dshak
+4|6804
haha,

trigger... I think you'll find that when you're on an international forum the words "its soccer, calm down" are kind of useless.

My rant isn't necessarily to completely disagree with some of the points being made... but more so against douchebags who post on threads for no reason other than to antagonize people.

Macho its all about where you are... sure if you play a game in LA or New York, Chicago, you're going to see large ethnic populations, because there are large ethnic populations in those cities... but I can tell you aside from the 3 or 4 thousand Mexican fans who made the trip, it was pretty much just yankees in Columbus (which is why they chose to play it there in the first place)

Also, I watched that game your refering to on TV, I think you are exaggerating pretty badly when you say there were no "typical americans" when you looked around. not to mention the fact that... and this should probably have its own thread but I'm bold enough to make the statement anyway...

THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS A TYPICAL AMERICAN!

Last edited by dshak (2005-12-09 15:36:57)

Rosse_modest
+76|6767|Antwerp, Flanders
Those poor Japanese
fdcp_elmo
Rules over Sesamestreet
+5|6746|The Netherlands
I think Brazil is going to win again though. at least they will make it to the finals. Brazil is just much better than most counrty's
THA
im a fucking .....well not now
+609|6761|AUS, Canberra

fdcp_elmo wrote:

I think Brazil is going to win again though. at least they will make it to the finals. Brazil is just much better than most counrty's
they cant win they are in the pool with the mighty aussies!!!!!!! and dont bother trying to flame me out, because i think aussies should give up at soccer !!!
hurricane2oo5
Do One Ya Mug !!!
+176|6755|mansfield
englands gonna win the world cup........dont u think???
fdcp_elmo
Rules over Sesamestreet
+5|6746|The Netherlands
If i remember well it is the first time in 30 years that the aussies are at a world cup footbal. thanks to the Netherlands because of that great coach Guus Hiddink you are in now:P

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard