mcminty
Moderating your content for the Australian Govt.
+879|6767|Sydney, Australia

lowing wrote:

Ty wrote:

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT CONSTITUTES A "WIN" IN THE WAR ON TERROR!?

Caps lock: Cruise control for cool.
All countries standing united to snuff out any flames of financing, training and the harboring of terrorists. The KKK is/was a terror group, they were put down and are being kept down by public opinion and a loathful attitude toward them.  The war on terror was WON in this case. Tell me how this is any different.
So the war on terror was won because there was a loathful attitude towards terrorism? Am I not following correctly?

Face the facts guys. You CAN'T WIN! It's a god dam culture clash - there will always be someone that hates you and what you stand for, that will finance, train and harbor terrorists.

Is this another Vietnam?

Mcminty.
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6697|USA

GorillaTicTacs wrote:

Ty wrote:

They can't tell you that, because then the facts would shadow the answers to show that our policies are failing miserably.

Would a win mean real introspection on our foreign policy blunders for the last 50 years at least and fixing them so we don't suffer so much blowback?   Nah, fail, lets just re-write recent history and ignore the rest.
http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j182/ … hatnow.jpg

Would a win mean finding a worldwide consensus on how to deal with terrorism?  Fail.
http://supernatural.blogs.com/photos/un … gzapir.gif

Would a win mean that the US would serve as a paragon of virtue and free peoples would abide by our example?  Fail.
http://www.inkcinct.com.au/Web/CARTOONS … ocracy.jpg

Would a win mean that the terrorists are not capable of compromising our security or the security of our allies to carry out another attack?  Fail.
http://www.foxnews.com/images/111195/1_ … orange.jpg

Would a win mean the finding solutions to the causes of Middle Eastern terrorism?  Fail.
http://www.the-tribulation-network.com/ … igns02.JPG

How 'bout domestic terrorism?  Oh wait, thats the 33% base...can't touch that.
http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j182/ … rybody.jpg

Would a win mean the stabilization of the middle east making it safe to export western business to the region?  Fail.
http://repinuj.no.sapo.pt/democracy.gif

Would a win be a real investigation into 9/11 for starters, complete with scientific analysis of debris, detailed analysis of what went wrong, and figuring out how the fuck a bunch of Arab farm boys pulled off a near perfect commando raid on the most powerful military machine in the world, and then relieve from duty the incompetent clowns that let it happen?  Nah, fail...and too wordy for a good soundbyte.
http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j182/ … inkme2.jpg

Maybe a win is simply when propoganda pundits tell us its a win!  Or maybe not...
http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j182/ … fghan2.jpg

Or would a win simply mean that people put things in perspective...(Borat pause)...NOT!
http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j182/ … ralert.jpg

Ahh, now I know, a win means that the government and the war machine has completely maxed out the taxpayer credit card, as well as maxed out the blood Americans are willing to spill for the cause, right?  I think we have a winner, but we apparently haven't reached our limit yet.
http://www.polianna.com/2005/09/images/ … Prices.jpg

Just remember folks...
http://scienceblogs.com/corpuscallosum/ … ce_500.jpg

Thank you, and have a nice day
I am putting my money on  plagiarism. He is from  Bucharest and refers to "OUR" and not THEIR policies, then cites all American cartoons.
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6697|USA

mcminty wrote:

lowing wrote:

Ty wrote:

All countries standing united to snuff out any flames of financing, training and the harboring of terrorists. The KKK is/was a terror group, they were put down and are being kept down by public opinion and a loathful attitude toward them.  The war on terror was WON in this case. Tell me how this is any different.
So the war on terror was won because there was a loathful attitude towards terrorism? Am I not following correctly?

Face the facts guys. You CAN'T WIN! It's a god dam culture clash - there will always be someone that hates you and what you stand for, that will finance, train and harbor terrorists.

Is this another Vietnam?

Mcminty.
Yes public opinion stifled the KKK and rendered them impotent. Why is that so hard to believe? Because it sets precedents on the fact that you can win a war on terror??
CameronPoe
+2,925|6602

lowing wrote:

I am putting my money on  plagiarism. He is from  Bucharest and refers to "OUR" and not THEIR policies, then cites all American cartoons.
He's an American who is working in Bucharest, if I'm not very much mistaken.

Last edited by CameronPoe (2007-04-24 03:54:24)

lowing
Banned
+1,662|6697|USA

CameronPoe wrote:

lowing wrote:

It is still too perfect a presentation. Not something you would do off the cuff in response to a post.
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6762

devildogfo wrote:

Reading this story reminded me of countless similar experiences and gave me a fuzzy feeling. But your responses sicken me. Propaganda? Are you f'in serious? Just because its not pro-insurgency does not mean it is propaganda.
Everything with a perspective is propaganda. Because it is trying to convince people to get on your side.
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
m3thod
All kiiiiiiiiinds of gainz
+2,197|6717|UK

lowing wrote:

CameronPoe wrote:

lowing wrote:

It is still too perfect a presentation. Not something you would do off the cuff in response to a post.
GTT was in the US military.....
Blackbelts are just whitebelts who have never quit.
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6697|USA

m3thod wrote:

lowing wrote:

CameronPoe wrote:

GTT was in the US military.....
Ok, I guess it was the Bucharest thing that threw me. Not really sure I could have possibly drawn a conclusion that he wasn't an American.
GorillaTicTacs
+231|6420|Kyiv, Ukraine
If you gotta know, I am a red-blooded American, 9 year veteran of the US Army (7 years voluntary + 2 stop-loss tours) with 2 campaign medals and a handful of others, 98G-Arabic intel interceptor/analyst and 74B systems analyst with an SCI clearance, and a 249 gunner just for kicks.  I got out 3 years ago and I'm currently project manager/game designer at Ubisoft with 4 titles under my belt (Tom Clancy's Hawx - to be released, Silent Hunter 4, Blazing Angels 2, and now the PC conversion).  My most recent project and promotion is to studio coordinator for Ubisoft Ukraine in Kiev, but my Ukrainians are on vacation for a week (sent them back to Ukraine because Romania wouldn't extend their stay) so I still need to sit in my office with absolutely nothing better to do all morning...and the rest of the week...until my visa and travel gets sorted and I can go join them in Ukraine.

I'm used to putting together promo projects in record time (sometimes writing 15 to 30 pages of design and story work per day), so an hour for that was nearly nothing, just my beliefs and some google image searching.

Last edited by GorillaTicTacs (2008-05-23 02:44:58)

m3thod
All kiiiiiiiiinds of gainz
+2,197|6717|UK

GorillaTicTacs wrote:

If you gotta know, I am a red-blooded American, 9 year veteran of the US Army (7 years voluntary + 2 stop-loss tours) with 2 campaign medals and a handful of others, 98G-Arabic intell interceptor/analyst and 74B systems analyst with an SCI clearance.  I got out 3 years ago and I'm currently project manager/game designer at Ubisoft with 4 titles under my belt (Tom Clancy's Firehawk - to be released, Silent Hunter 4, Blazing Angels 2, and now the PC conversion).  My most recent project and promotion is to studio manager for Ubisoft Ukraine in Kiev, but my Ukrainians are on vacation for a week (sent them back to Ukraine) so I still need to sit in my office with absolutely nothing better to do all morning...and the rest of the week...until my visa gets sorted out and I can go join them in Ukraine.

I'm used to putting together promo projects in record time (sometimes writing 20 to 40 pages of design and story work per day), so an hour for that was nearly nothing, just my beliefs and some google image searching.
Gis a job
Blackbelts are just whitebelts who have never quit.
apollo_fi
The Flying Kalakukko.
+94|6577|The lunar module

lowing wrote:

The KKK is/was a terror group, they were put down and are being kept down by public opinion and a loathful attitude toward them.  The war on terror was WON in this case.
The KKK was fought and defeated in a war over the support of the populace of the South-eastern US.
What is called 'the war on terror' is actually a war over the hearts and minds of the Muslim populace of Near East and Asia.

Unlike the KKK, the Islamist tactics in this war have proven to be almost foolproof. Provoke the West with random violence, get a violent response. This, in turn, has the desired effect of radicalising the public opinion in the Islamist home areas.
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6697|USA

GorillaTicTacs wrote:

If you gotta know, I am a red-blooded American, 9 year veteran of the US Army (7 years voluntary + 2 stop-loss tours) with 2 campaign medals and a handful of others, 98G-Arabic intel interceptor/analyst and 74B systems analyst with an SCI clearance, and a 249 gunner just for kicks.  I got out 3 years ago and I'm currently project manager/game designer at Ubisoft with 4 titles under my belt (Tom Clancy's Firehawk - to be released, Silent Hunter 4, Blazing Angels 2, and now the PC conversion).  My most recent project and promotion is to studio manager for Ubisoft Ukraine in Kiev, but my Ukrainians are on vacation for a week (sent them back to Ukraine because Romania wouldn't extend their stay) so I still need to sit in my office with absolutely nothing better to do all morning...and the rest of the week...until my visa and travel gets sorted and I can go join them in Ukraine.

I'm used to putting together promo projects in record time (sometimes writing 20 to 40 pages of design and story work per day), so an hour for that was nearly nothing, just my beliefs and some google image searching.
Well, no, I "don't gotta know". I already gave credit for a perfect presentation although I am on the wrong side of it. Ya can't blame me for my assumption, since it would take someone with your credentials to put that together so fast. So basically instead of YOU plagiarizing it, you would be the guy to get plagiarized.

Again, a perfect presentation. Good job.
Ty
Mass Media Casualty
+2,398|6821|Noizyland

Ha! Y'know the KKK are still very active. Just because people hate you doesn't mean you cease to be effective, look at America, (heh heh, had to say that. )
Instead of being all "Mississippi Burning" now though the KKK, (although still keeping a lot of their stupid bloody theatrics,) are quite politically active. Check out their website if you like looking at grade A bullshit.
[Blinking eyes thing]
Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/tzyon
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6697|USA

apollo_fi wrote:

lowing wrote:

The KKK is/was a terror group, they were put down and are being kept down by public opinion and a loathful attitude toward them.  The war on terror was WON in this case.
The KKK was fought and defeated in a war over the support of the populace of the South-eastern US.
What is called 'the war on terror' is actually a war over the hearts and minds of the Muslim populace of Near East and Asia.

Unlike the KKK, the Islamist tactics in this war have proven to be almost foolproof. Provoke the West with random violence, get a violent response. This, in turn, has the desired effect of radicalising the public opinion in the Islamist home areas.
And where exactly do you think the KKK would be right now if left unchecked like the terror groups in the ME??
Do not criticize us for putting down terrorism long before it could take root and expand throughout the US and maybe even abroad.

It is an apples to apples comparison, both religious extremists. The only difference is one was stifled because the people willed it stifled. The other, either they do not care enough to stifle it, or they actually agree with it. Which do you choose?
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6697|USA

Ty wrote:

Ha! Y'know the KKK are still very active. Just because people hate you doesn't mean you cease to be effective, look at America, (heh heh, had to say that. )
Instead of being all "Mississippi Burning" now though the KKK, (although still keeping a lot of their stupid bloody theatrics,) are quite politically active. Check out their website if you like looking at grade A bullshit.
They are only active in their little fantasy world, they affect nothing and have done nothing and will do nothing. They can't even have a demonstration without being drown out by counter protesters. A paper tiger in white bedsheets
Braddock
Agitator
+916|6336|Éire

Ty wrote:

Not too many graphic designers in the KKK then, what a shitty website.
Ty
Mass Media Casualty
+2,398|6821|Noizyland

Heh heh, agreed with both Braddock and lowi- lowi-
I'm sorry my psyche doesn't seem to allow me to type that I agree with you. Sorry. Know that the feeling is there.

The Klan though is a small fry compared to global terrorism. I think that solving all that as the Klan have been is unrealistic and ultimately impossible. It's a nice dream, but it won't happen - especially with the use of military force which has only ever exacerbated things as far as terrorism is concerned.
[Blinking eyes thing]
Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/tzyon
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6697|USA

Ty wrote:

I'm sorry my psyche doesn't seem to allow me to type that I agree with you. Sorry. Know that the feeling is there.

The Klan though is a small fry compared to global terrorism. I think that solving all that as the Klan have been is unrealistic and ultimately impossible. It's a nice dream, but it won't happen - especially with the use of military force which has only ever exacerbated things as far as terrorism is concerned.
Yes, the Klan is small potatoes, THAT is the point of my post. They are small because WE the people OPTED them to be so. They were defeated!!, people can "but", and "what if", "how about", all day long. It has been shown that you can defeat terrorism.

Again I ask the reason why the Islamic extremists have grown, is it because, the people do not care enough to stop it, or, do they agree with it. Which is it?

Also, I refuse to listen to arguments in here, that it isn't the same, that the Islamic extremists are global terrorists, when in every other thread, they are painted out to be a small minority that has very little influence in world affairs, and do not represent Islam, or the media is making them bigger than they really are.

So again I ask, are the terrorists small potatoes and insignificant? Like suggested in other threads? If so they should be able to be dealt with, just like the KKK. Therefore YOU can WIN against terrorism

Or are they a giant monster who is uncontrollable? If this is the case, then why were they allowed to be so. Did the moderates not care enough to stifle them in their infancy,( like we did with the KKK) or do they agree with them?

You can not have it both ways.

Sorry you had to agree with me Ty. Maybe the doctor has a shot for that or something.
apollo_fi
The Flying Kalakukko.
+94|6577|The lunar module

lowing wrote:

apollo_fi wrote:

lowing wrote:

And where exactly do you think the KKK would be right now if left unchecked like the terror groups in the ME??
Do not criticize us for putting down terrorism long before it could take root and expand throughout the US and maybe even abroad.
No, no, no. This was not intended as a criticism... sorry if it read that way. The marginalisation of the KKK is definitely a significant achievement. GG, U.S.

It is an apples to apples comparison, both religious extremists. The only difference is one was stifled because the people willed it stifled. The other, either they do not care enough to stifle it, or they actually agree with it. Which do you choose?
But we don't get to choose.

I maintain that the only effective way to marginalise the Islamist movement is through the public opinion of their home areas. Just like what was done with the KKK.

What the means of changing the public opinion of the NE / Asian Muslim communities would be, I don't really know. But military response seems to have served only the Islamists' purposes, so far.
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6697|USA

apollo_fi wrote:

lowing wrote:

apollo_fi wrote:

No, no, no. This was not intended as a criticism... sorry if it read that way. The marginalisation of the KKK is definitely a significant achievement. GG, U.S.

But we don't get to choose.

I maintain that the only effective way to marginalise the Islamist movement is through the public opinion of their home areas. Just like what was done with the KKK.

What the means of changing the public opinion of the NE / Asian Muslim communities would be, I don't really know. But military response seems to have served only the Islamists' purposes, so far.
The military response is a last ditch effort to crush a movement that has grown beyond anyones control.
Of course I am told in other threads that they are just a small minority within Islam and therefore insignificant.

There are only 2 possible choices, either you gather public opinion and combat the extremism or you agree with the extremism. Either way, the moderates of guilty either NOT policing their own like we did with the KKK. Or they secretly support the extremism. I can not see any other reason for this to grow to what it has become.
GorillaTicTacs
+231|6420|Kyiv, Ukraine

lowing wrote:

Ty wrote:

Yes, the Klan is small potatoes, THAT is the point of my post. They are small because WE the people OPTED them to be so. They were defeated!!, people can "but", and "what if", "how about", all day long. It has been shown that you can defeat terrorism.

Again I ask the reason why the Islamic extremists have grown, is it because, the people do not care enough to stop it, or, do they agree with it. Which is it?

Also, I refuse to listen to arguments in here, that it isn't the same, that the Islamic extremists are global terrorists, when in every other thread, they are painted out to be a small minority that has very little influence in world affairs, and do not represent Islam, or the media is making them bigger than they really are.

So again I ask, are the terrorists small potatoes and insignificant? Like suggested in other threads? If so they should be able to be dealt with, just like the KKK. Therefore YOU can WIN against terrorism

Or are they a giant monster who is uncontrollable? If this is the case, then why were they allowed to be so. Did the moderates not care enough to stifle them in their infancy,( like we did with the KKK) or do they agree with them?

Sorry you had to agree with me Ty. Maybe the doctor has a shot for that or something.
You're right about one thing, you can't have it both ways.  We'll suppose that the "Klan was defeated" as you say (though this is definitely a matter of debate for later).  However, I don't recall anyone launching a "War on the Klan" and dropping 100,000+ troops in the South to "smoke them out of their holes".  I think if that tactic had been chosen, the Klan would be in a pretty powerful position today by contrast.  What would that course of action have done for us?  Why...kick off a bloody civil war (again!)  Go ahead, send in 100,000 troops to the deep South and trash every piece of civilization there.  Tell the regular people we'll go away when the Klan threat is eliminated, and then accidently shoot a few because you could have sworn they had white hoodies under their jackets.  Grab a few more off the streets just for fun and lock them up and torture them in major "Klan sweeps", let neighbors sell each other out for a few bucks so you can boost your stats.  Then, sit back, relax, and enjoy the crossfire when blacks and whites start executing each other en masse...go ahead, keep a lid on that.

If you want to claim as an example of the downfall of the KKK in power as a "terrorist group being defeated", you need to give an example of HOW they were defeated.  I'll give you a hint, it started when the law enforcement became less corrupt and they lost their safety net...and then went from there.
Bubbalo
The Lizzard
+541|6608

mcminty wrote:

Bubbalo wrote:

Best.  Post.  Ever.
Seconded.
Aren't you supposed to be all harsh on pic replies?
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6697|USA

GorillaTicTacs wrote:

lowing wrote:

Ty wrote:

You're right about one thing, you can't have it both ways.  We'll suppose that the "Klan was defeated" as you say (though this is definitely a matter of debate for later).  However, I don't recall anyone launching a "War on the Klan" and dropping 100,000+ troops in the South to "smoke them out of their holes".  I think if that tactic had been chosen, the Klan would be in a pretty powerful position today by contrast.  What would that course of action have done for us?  Why...kick off a bloody civil war (again!)  Go ahead, send in 100,000 troops to the deep South and trash every piece of civilization there.  Tell the regular people we'll go away when the Klan threat is eliminated, and then accidently shoot a few because you could have sworn they had white hoodies under their jackets.  Grab a few more off the streets just for fun and lock them up and torture them in major "Klan sweeps", let neighbors sell each other out for a few bucks so you can boost your stats.  Then, sit back, relax, and enjoy the crossfire when blacks and whites start executing each other en masse...go ahead, keep a lid on that.

If you want to claim as an example of the downfall of the KKK in power as a "terrorist group being defeated", you need to give an example of HOW they were defeated.  I'll give you a hint, it started when the law enforcement became less corrupt and they lost their safety net...and then went from there.
I already said how they were defeated.....PUBLIC OPINION. You don't recalll military action against them because none had to be taken. The people decided they had had enough of their bullshit. The KKK was left largly ignored and when attention was paid to them it was in the negative.

Purhaps if the people of the ME contained their extremists in the same manner we would not have to be fighting this war.

It was stated in here that terrorism can not be defeated. I gave an example that it has been defeated, precedents has been established. Lets at least agree on that point.

It is up to the Islam to start policing their extremist elements, unless of course, they happen to agree with them.

Last edited by lowing (2007-04-24 05:19:13)

CameronPoe
+2,925|6602

lowing wrote:

I already said how they were defeated.....PUBLIC OPINION. You don't recalll military action against them because none had to be taken. The people decided they had had enough of their bullshit. The KKK was left largly ignored and when attention was paid to them it was in the negative.

Purhaps if the people of the ME contained their extremists in the same manner we would not have to be fighting this war.

It was stated in here that terrorism can not be defeated. I gave an example that it has been defeated, precedents has been established. Lets at least agree on that point.

It is up to the Islam to start policing their extremist elements, unless of course, they happen to agree with them.
Do you think public opinion in the middle east will change if you continue to bombard them with ordinance and support the dictatorships in the region? I don't fucking thinks so somehow. Your ally Saudi Arabia has instituted Wabahiism in schools for Christ's sake!

And no - the KKK still exists and as such has not been defeated. To eradicate an ideology completely is impossible. Neo-nazis regularly rally in Germany and other nations and engage in ethnicity based attacks, especially in Russia.

Last edited by CameronPoe (2007-04-24 05:27:45)

PvtStPoK
paintball > bf2
+48|6561|montreal, quebec

i dont know if  a letter from a USMC in Iraq worth anything good  when posted on a website who actually had for news The piano-playing cat who caused an internet sensation doesnt  sound serious to me. i mean, you enter the website and theres a big picture of Barack Obama and on left side, that cat...

https://www.drudgereport.com/ic.jpg

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard