davidonbf2
Banned
+19|6193
Cell Phones Destroying Bee Colonies; No Bees = No Pollination
Posted by Pile on 2007-04-14 23:33:04 (458 views) 

[Toxic Substances]
The latest environmental disaster appears to be related to the disappearance of bee colonies all around the world. Scientists are collecting evidence which suggests that cell phone signals and RF radiation is having an impact on bees and crops are not getting properly pollinated as a result.

It seems like the plot of a particularly far-fetched horror film. But some scientists suggest that our love of the mobile phone could cause massive food shortages, as the world's harvests fail.

They are putting forward the theory that radiation given off by mobile phones and other hi-tech gadgets is a possible answer to one of the more bizarre mysteries ever to happen in the natural world - the abrupt disappearance of the bees that pollinate crops. Late last week, some bee-keepers claimed that the phenomenon - which started in the US, then spread to continental Europe - was beginning to hit Britain as well.

The theory is that radiation from mobile phones interferes with bees' navigation systems, preventing the famously homeloving species from finding their way back to their hives. Improbable as it may seem, there is now evidence to back this up.

Colony Collapse Disorder (CCD) occurs when a hive's inhabitants suddenly disappear, leaving only queens, eggs and a few immature workers, like so many apian Mary Celestes. The vanished bees are never found, but thought to die singly far from home. The parasites, wildlife and other bees that normally raid the honey and pollen left behind when a colony dies, refuse to go anywhere near the abandoned hives.

The alarm was first sounded last autumn, but has now hit half of all American states. The West Coast is thought to have lost 60 per cent of its commercial bee population, with 70 per cent missing on the East Coast.

CCD has since spread to Germany, Switzerland, Spain, Portugal, Italy and Greece. And last week John Chapple, one of London's biggest bee-keepers, announced that 23 of his 40 hives have been abruptly abandoned.

Other apiarists have recorded losses in Scotland, Wales and north-west England, but the Department of the Environment, Food and Rural Affairs insisted: "There is absolutely no evidence of CCD in the UK."

The implications of the spread are alarming. Most of the world's crops depend on pollination by bees. Albert Einstein once said that if the bees disappeared, "man would have only four years of life left".

No one knows why it is happening. Theories involving mites, pesticides, global warming and GM crops have been proposed, but all have drawbacks.

German research has long shown that bees' behaviour changes near power lines.

Now a limited study at Landau University has found that bees refuse to return to their hives when mobile phones are placed nearby. Dr Jochen Kuhn, who carried it out, said this could provide a "hint" to a possible cause.

Dr George Carlo, who headed a massive study by the US government and mobile phone industry of hazards from mobiles in the Nineties, said: "I am convinced the possibility is real."
ATG
Banned
+5,233|6499|Global Command
I posted this when it first came out and the thread went nowhere but this is a big deal!

This could be the end of us all. No pollination means no food.
djphetal
Go Ducks.
+346|6306|Oregon
The equilibrium of nature can be so slightly disturbed and get allll fucked up!
kn0ckahh
+98|6709|netherlands, sweet lake city
I just turned of my mobile phone, I dont want to die....

ALL BF2S'ers SAVE THE WORLD TURN OFF YOUR MOBILE

Last edited by kn0ckahh (2007-04-17 22:42:03)

LT.Victim
+1,175|6533|British Columbia, Canada
dam... next time I'll think twice about spraying that beehive with poison..
CommieChipmunk
+488|6540|Portland, OR, USA
fuck, that'd be the way to go... everyone starves to death..

/wrists
davidonbf2
Banned
+19|6193
lately millions of bee's both in the U.S and Europe have been disappearing ,  some say billions , hmm, dont look good , hopefuly they will recover
Scorpion0x17
can detect anyone's visible post count...
+691|6736|Cambridge (UK)
Mmm... long-pig...
thtthht
maximum bullshit
+50|6301|teh alien spaceshit
Screw cell phones. I don't have one.
LT.Victim
+1,175|6533|British Columbia, Canada
Just imagine if cell phones are actually the cause..

You think the companys will do anything? Can they even do anything?

It would take billions of dollars to replace the current networks that we have in place.

And I mean, whats the alternative, because we all know people aren't gonna give up their cell phones...
Mr.Dooomed
Find your center.
+752|6298

lol, sorry but you guys should all just stfu. Man these are just scare tactics. Try not to give a shit.
Nature is a powerful force. Those who seek to subdue nature, never do so permanently.
konfusion
mostly afk
+480|6520|CH/BR - in UK

I hardly use my phone, I think people should just control the usage more.

-konfusion
Bubbalo
The Lizzard
+541|6531

ATG wrote:

Uh................no.  Many crops are planted by farmers.

Last edited by Bubbalo (2007-04-18 01:25:07)

_NL_Lt.EngineerFox
Big Mouth Prick
+219|6501|Golf 1.8 GTI Wolfsburg Edition
I dont really care about bee's.
IG-Calibre
comhalta
+226|6713|Tír Eoghan, Tuaisceart Éireann
very interesting, my next door neighbour is a herbalist who keeps colonies of bees (uses honey for curing conditions like asthma because it contains all the local pollen's) & his bees vanished a few years ago, though I thought it was "Bee Flu" as they talk about, very interesting indeed - though I have noticed a good few honey bees knocking about this last few weeks so i'm guessing he has new hives up and running..
Bertster7
Confused Pothead
+1,101|6552|SE London

Bubbalo wrote:

ATG wrote:

Uh................no.  Many crops are planted by farmers.
Which tend to be pollinated by bees. Bees are what they use for industrial scale pollinisation. They have big trucks with mobile hives. It is the biggest earner for bee keepers, not honey. The industry is in the US alone is valued at $14.6 billion a year and insect pollinated plants account for 1/3 of the average humans diet.

The farmers might plant the crops, but without bees what are they supposed to do? Go around and pollinate each one individually? The prices of food would skyrocket.
Harmor
Error_Name_Not_Found
+605|6519|San Diego, CA, USA
Al Gore has proposed a Cell-phone nuetral tax.  Money collected from the tax will be used to invest in Robotic Bees technology.
topal63
. . .
+533|6688

Harmor wrote:

Al Gore has proposed a Cell-phone nuetral tax.  Money collected from the tax will be used to invest in Robotic Bees technology.
Well if he can pull that invention off (he invented the internet you know) then I am officially allowed to: "Worship him."
Smitty5613
+46|6497|Middle of nowhere, California
when i was little, my dad had beehives.. they all died from some type of parasite or worm, not cell phones....
Skorpy-chan
+127|6315|Twyford, UK
What the hell? No it doesen't. If it DID, my grandfather would not keep his mobile on him while dealing with his bees.
This is just a pussy excuse for the veroa mite infections in America.
davidonbf2
Banned
+19|6193
actualy bee's account for about 2/3 of the world pollinated crops
jonnykill
The Microwave Man
+235|6650
This is the worst threat to man kind ever. It COULD possibly be the beginning of the end.
It might be too late already, no time to stop it from happening. Albert Einstein said something like " when all the bees die man dies 4 years later ". Well at least we have time to make preperations but who knows, we might be fucked.
JimmyBotswana
+82|6556|Montreal
It seems legit that there is a crisis with bees disappearing.

"Since last November, the US has seen a decline in bee populations so dramatic that it eclipses all previous incidences of mass mortality. Beekeepers on the east coast of the United States complain that they have lost more than 70 percent of their stock since late last year, while the west coast has seen a decline of up to 60 percent." http://www.spiegel.de/international/wor … 66,00.html

Stories similar to this are being reported throughout Europe as well. Whether or not the problem is cell phones has not been established but is possible. The quote from Albert Einstein says "If the bee disappeared off the surface of the globe then man would only have four years of life left. No more bees, no more pollination, no more plants, no more animals, no more man."

This really is a serious problem that needs to be addressed globally, and right now.
Mitch
16 more years
+877|6495|South Florida

davidonbf2 wrote:

Cell Phones Destroying Bee Colonies; No Bees = No Pollination
Posted by Pile on 2007-04-14 23:33:04 (458 views)
Yeah ok.
Global warming too right?

Cars run on gas, therefore we wont give up driving just cause its bad for nature.
Most people run on cell phones, therefore we wont give up cell's just cause its bad for nature.

why do scientists bother to say stuff like that cause they know it wont change
15 more years! 15 more years!
usmarine
Banned
+2,785|6732

Dezerteagal5 wrote:

why do scientists bother to say stuff like that cause they know it wont change
Research grant.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard