TigrisJK
+3|6726
Before I begin, I won't say that I'm a master sniper. I'm not, my overall k:d as a sniper is only 1.09 on this account. That, however, is also because I usually only play BF2 with friends, and I never get the peace and quiet to just sit tight in a spot somewhere instead of running around all hell with them.

Today after my friend logged off, I got a chance to actually sit tight, relax with a beer, and snipe. These are my thoughts. I ended up with fourteen kills one round even while people were hunting me without dying since the beginning of the round. I was pretty happy with that, then my team started losing all the points.

*le sigh* Can't have everything.

A short treatise on sniping

I cannot even begin to say how many ridiculous positions I've seen snipers in, including myself. The most important thing about a sniper is his invisibility (I bought Special Forces today, and I'm actually quite upset about the lack of a ghillie suit). Therefore:

Don't snipe from the tops of buildings, barren hills, cranes, etc... unless you cannot find any other spot.

There are, of course, exceptions to that rule. There are locations on a crane which are near impossible to hit from ground level.

Invisibility is key. Bushes, dark corners, under bridges, and other spots such as these are often good places where you won't be seen.

Which leads to my second part: deception.

Sniping from a location in the general direction of a very obvious sniping spot (e.g. a tower or tall building... note the proper use of exempli gratia and not id est ) while not actually being on it is a very, very smart move. Just don't be too close to it. If enemies believe you are shooting from a place that you are not, you can easily pick them off while they're puzzled over why they can't see you there.

Thirdly, line of sight. Rule of thumb being, if you can see them, eventually they'll be able to see you. Your l.o.s. should be in the direction you're sniping in, and nowhere else. The top of a building, for example, can be shot at from many angles. The side of a hill, on the other hand, provides a decent vantage point to shoot down on enemies, whilst leaving the side facing the top of the hill relatively protected. (unless someone gets to the top of the hill in a rough climb just to get you)

Fourthly, take note that you are wearing a ghillie. A ghillie suit is at home in areas with grass, bushes, ferns, etc. A barren field is not a place to plunk down looking like a sore thumb. Neither, then, is a concrete structure, unless you are on one with good protection on several sides. (some buildings are actually several attached, and parts of them will be higher than the other. These are decent spots)

The shot, and your weapons
We'll talk briefly about your weapons first. You have several things: a knife, a pistol, your sniper rifle, grenades, and claymores.

Your knife may come in handy on rare occasions, but in my experience, it will be near useless to you. The proverb "don't bring a knife to a gun fight" has plenty meaning here, because as a sniper you generally don't move. You won't be sneaking up on all too many people, unless, of course, you are relocating.

Pistols are generally all the same. Besides your rifle, it's your best friend. In a close-range battle, if someone has located you, hit them with the sniper rifle and use the pistol to finish the kill. Or even long range. Instant kill. Good times.

Your rifle. Now, I'm sure everyone's aware of the debate between the rifles, and the extreme dislike of the semi-automatics. Personally, my favorite rifle has to be the M24. I'm a little headshot happy though. Bulletdrop is barely an issue, I have my view range set to 100% and even at the farthest I can see I can still pop off a headshot on a stationary target, or at least a torso hit. However, I disagree slightly on the stance on semi-autos. I use the M95 a lot, when I'm on MEC or the Chinese, but if used properly, I think the semi-auto rifles have more potential. They're headshot happy weapons, so long as you're not treating them like your DAO-12. And as far as a long-range weapon, they are excellent for those pesky sprinting medics trying to revive everyone you just killed. (though, they kind of are nice, as far as getting free kills go)

Grenades, everyone should know how to use. As a sniper, I use them when I'm relocating or fleeing. Otherwise they make too much of an action and give away my position.

Claymores are great, so long as your teammates aren't idiots. If you're in a decent spot with little traffic though, they shouldn't be a problem. Put one a metre or so behind you, and if anyone tries to sneak up on you (especially if you're on the side of a hill and they have to come over the lip to get to you) they're out, real fast.

Now speaking of the shot: Don't shoot unless you mean to hit something. Especially with the semi-autos, when you feel like you could throw away your ammo. Not only do you have to deal with the bolt, and lose your sight, but you also run the chance of giving away your position. I always felt this to be a sort of discrepancy, since many rifles (and riflemen) are trained in charging their weapon without moving their sights off target.

But what can you do.

Aim for the head, unless they're sprinting. Know where the enemy generally move, and keep track of who you kill. Eventually if you kill the same person enough times, they'll want to come after you. Make snipers priority, especially if they're facing in your direction and might see your shots.

RE-location
As a sniper, you generally don't want to move. Generally. If you stand up, you'll be seen. A ghillie won't do anything to mask your outline against the surrounding terrain. Once you've found a spot, you generally want to sit there. Sit there and stay there.

Of course, eventually someone's going to see you. And trust me they'll be looking for you, if you've pestered them enough. It's in the human identity not to give up, I'm sure you know it yourself, spawning at a closeby point over and over again because you want to get rid of that sniper.

(and when you do, doesn't it feel damned good?)

If they're a sniper, no problem. Shoot them before they shoot you. Relocate somewhere close once they're dead, so that they'll be standing (or lying) there those precious seconds trying to find you once they're back.

Automatic weapons are another story. If they sneak behind you... well, that claymore better have been there. If it goes off and you know that you've killed that person several times, you've been found out. Time to relocate. If they're shooting at you, pray they're not a good shot and get the heck out of dodge. Don't run backwards into your claymore.

Relocating is key. Always know where you can go, how you can get there, and how long it'll take.

Counter-sniping
I'm not talking about facing off snipers that are coming after you here, if you've been following so far that really shouldn't be a problem, unless they killed you at a point, in which case you do not want to go back to that spot.

If someone, as I have been doing above, has pinned you down somewhere at your spawn, and you're miraculously not dead... get on your belly. Crawl somewhere they won't expect you.

This is tough. They'll expect you practically everywhere once you've disappeared. If you don't know where the sniper is, you're better off sprinting like a maniac to the first availible vehicle.

If you're dead set on finding out where he is, then watch your teammates. It may be a sort of brutal way to figure it out, but by seeing where they get shot at and where they don't, you can get a pretty good heads up of where the sniper can or cannot see, and therefore generally where he is.

Shoot first and hit them. And keep an eye out on your map, maybe someone else already knows where they are.

Desperate situations
If you absolutely must snipe from a building, say... you have been reduced to only one point on an urban map and you need to fight your way out (... I'd ask, why are you still being a sniper?) don't use the roof. It's a bad, bad place to be. And don't stand in front of windows and doors. A) You block the passage... B) it's so ridiculously obvious.

Instead, sit inside the building, where you can still see out the window at an important angle, and shoot from there. Crouch or stand, instead of going prone, or else you won't be able to see anything. If you're being shot at, go prone and hope their aim with grenades isn't very good.

If it's outside, then find a spot where they would least expect you, but a spot where you can see a major lane of approach and also get away if you must. Alleyways facing major streets are nice, if not a point that will be attacked from all sides.

No matter what you do, don't walk and shoot. If you try it out (say, in single player so as not to embarrass yourself) your shots will go astray with any gun if you're walking and shooting. For most weapons this is not a big deal, you've got 29 more bullets to put in the right place. For a sniper rifle, it is deadly.

Anyway, that's all I have to say on the matter. I felt like writing something and I really didn't feel like working any more on my papers.

Cheers.

Last edited by TigrisJK (2005-12-06 23:24:38)

dshak
+4|6813
wow... that was long.... I actually stopped reading after the only part I'll comment on... don't be upset about the lack of a ghilli suit. it would be completely worthless in the SF environments.

Last edited by dshak (2005-12-06 23:51:51)

TigrisJK
+3|6726
Hah, perhaps. It takes me a few good hours to turn out a good paper about mythology or philosophy (approx. 2000 words) if not most of a day.

I write about a video game, I turn out 1600+ words in half an hour or so.

If only someone would hire me to review video games.
TigrisJK
+3|6726
*laughs* No replies, how unsurprising. I just wanted to add a note:

The view range of a sniper rifle is actually farther than everyone elses'. If you keep enemies just at the edges of your viewrange, they probably can't see you. Especially if their view range is turned below 100%.
[GDC]SinnFein
Got Whiskey?
+63|6787|Meiriceá - frm 'Real Capital'
in BFHQ->options->video->max distance view scale or somethin'
7h3647h32in6
+0|6723
I'd like to ammend the movement aspect. As much as people decide it's a good idea to stop and snipe, in most maps, with exceptions to Sharqi  and Mashtuur, it tends to be better to shoot and move. Pick a spot at an odd angle, if there is an enterance and an exit, position yourself at a 45 deg angle in the tall grass, out of their expected line of sight, or behind a fence.

I've found, that as long as you can keep concieled, even rooftops make good sniping locations, BUT DO NOT GET ON A ROOFTOP AND SNIPE DISTANCE. That is a horrible horrible idea. I've gone 19-2 on a rooftop, shooting other snipers only. The key was to stay behind 2 solar panels, edging out, taking one shot at about 50yds between the panels, then moving down to the ground behind the panels not to give away the model through the thinner panel model. Keep in mind, snipers, if under you, can see you. Snipers can also see you if you're on their same plane on a rooftop, so find a conceiled rooftop location (with more than 2 sides covered by wall. Shoot and retreat and you'll do fine, but only if you're forced to snipe via roof.  Also remember to lay a claymore on the stairs. ;p Many a time I got kills from snipers that I could hear close by, and forgot their claymores, so I had the oppertunity to knife.

Also, the best streaks I've gotten, have come from going to an obscure and out of the way spawnpoint, and moving along the outside of the map, picking the most difficult and covered terrain to traverse, and often traveling more than 300m before setting up to shoot. Players have a default expectations of where you'll be, coming from one spawn to another; evading their expectations is key.

Don't be afraid to get in close as long as you're coming from an obscure angle. Two days ago, I got a 8-0 kill streak on a group of spawned spec ops following a pair of tanks. One was behind a fence, and i snuck up behind him (within 5 yrds) and got a headshot before he realized what was happening, two more left the base, only to be shot in the back. Three came out searching for me, 2 again shot in the back and one I killed in a firefight after he tried to stream at 20m. The last two I picked off as I was entering the base, both spawned and charged with grenades, only to be chestshot/pistoled before they could release them.
TigrisJK
+3|6726
d4rk, that would certainly be a good idea. It doesn't just help sniping, it helps pretty much in everything. For example, if you're piloting and you can't see your targets from far off, you'll have overshoot before you know it.

I would half-agree with the solar panel idea. I've also done pretty well with them, considering that they provide decent cover, but they're almost always the first place I look the moment I hear sniper fire. I've seen others done amazingly with them even with a half-dozen blokes gunning after them though, so if that's your bag, I wouldn't say no. It's not bad if you can pull it off. It's better if you have a medic, cause if you hide well enough you'll never take enough damage to die, unless you missed a sniper at some point.

Yeah, I should've mentioned going to the outskirts. It works really well, most of the time... no one expects you and it's not like anyone's there to sneak up on you. Good point.

Though if you get spotted, you'll have run a considerable distance for nothing.
Ty
Mass Media Casualty
+2,398|6775|Noizyland

Buildings are good Sniping spots. If you keep to the shadows of the various items on rooves like soar panels, satelite dishes and smokestacks, they can be just as effective as hiding in a bush using your ghille suit to full advantage.
[Blinking eyes thing]
Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/tzyon
VirtuaLResistancE
ArmChair Warrior
+4|6755|NH - USA
I find re-locating is highly necessary in BF2  due to the UAV/scan feature. Seems like commanders always target the sniper when they have nothing else to do or disclose your position so that others can kill you.

Move frequently.

Didn't read everything but Im sure that stuff will help some people's. Nice post.

Last edited by VirtuaLResistancE (2005-12-08 00:20:52)

TigrisJK
+3|6726
I need to update this from what I've learned this far in SF... since the tactics are entirely different.

I find most commanders hit the highest concentration of troops most often, and not snipers... though I've had bored commanders hit me once or twice. I just don't go back to the same spot after I die.
TigrisJK
+3|6726
And... here it is. An additional chapter on the Treatise of Sniping for Special Forces... I maintained top sniper record on a Warlord server today, so these instructions are for urban SF maps only... not for night missions, which require different hiding tactics.

Scout around. There are a lot of good locations with narrow but effective firezones, especially if you're higher up than everyone else. In SF, buildings are king. Your zipline can take you practically anywhere. In two short ziplines, you can get from one high CP to a lower one in no time.

Always consider height. Always. Where hiding used to be the advantage, now it's clearing out enemy snipers before they can get you, then taking the high points and making sure enemy snipers can't hunk down anywhere. At high locations all you have to do to avoid ground-level fire is to pull back from the lip of the building.

Easy as pie.

However, some locations have precedence. I never stay on top of the TV Station on Warlord (a direct copy of the one on Sharqi) very long, because it's bloody obvious and you can't go prone to fire. Many high points are simply not obvious at all. Experiment with your zipline, it'll get you places you never thought you could go.

Never forget, however, there are enemies with grappling hooks. If you hear one coming up towards you, even if you've put a claymore where the ladder is, you should find it and sit atop it with either your rifle or your pistol.

Relocation:
Relocation is a must now. Where you used to be able to sit tight in bushes for a good half-hour before you were ever spotted, now you must zip from building to building. Predictability gets you killed.

Offensive sniping:
It used to be suicide for a lone sniper (or a sniper in a small squad) to try to take a point. It simply took way too long.

Now, consider how you can get there with your new tools. Your zipline can get you to most points faster than anyone else, and your claymores can be placed right at the bottleneck at certain points, so anyone who wants to come after you has to first blow it up with grenades (thus warning you of their arrival and giving you time to lay down another claymore or get ready to put a sniper round in their head) or blow it up by running headfirst into it.

Easy kills.

General Zipline strategies:
Remember, if you don't leave it lying around too long, you can pick it back up. Reclaim your zipline soon as you've secured a position and after making sure none of your teammates are on it.

The farther the slope, the faster you go, and the less time you're hanging in the air. So if the difference is between climbing some stairs to get to a higher level before you zip across, or zipping at a near-horizontal level, go for the higher point, even if it'll take a few more seconds. Stop, double-check your landing site is clear and there's no one below to clip you, then zip across.

Squads:
Snipers have become more offensive marksmen in this game, and are therefore far more useful for squads. I would argue that the sniper should typically be the squad leader, as a sniper generally has vantage over the field of battle, making them an effective spawn point and possesses a zipline to deploy troops to locations quickly. Good communication within the squad is as usual very important, and a medic can improve a sniper's performance in combat by quite a bit, especially when someone successfully counter-snipes you (hopefully after you've already plugged him several times and thereby pissing him off quite a bit). Another important aspect of this is that if you don't score a headshot with a bolt-action rifle, your squadmates can easily finish off the weakened subject. Two snipers in a squad is generally enough, or more than enough.

That's it for now!

Last edited by TigrisJK (2005-12-11 04:58:06)

Greenie_Beazinie
Aussie Outlaw
+8|6813
Snipers are noobs. I like knifing them. They dont like me knifing them.
Umbra Acciptris
+1|6756
Rooftops can be quite good, if used correctly, which so few snipers do.  They are only good for medium or long distance shots.

First you need a building people are not likly to walk under (as they can then easly hear and locate you).  Second, you need a "not the absolutly tallest building arround" building.  As that is the first place to look for snipers.  Third, the top priority in building selection is weather or not you can see an imporant area WITHOUT leaning your gun over the edge of the building.  Multi level buildings as mentioned can be quite good for this.  If your gun is over the edge you will be quickly spoted and killed.

BEFORE YOU GO PRONE LOOK ARROUND!.  When you are moving to your spot, check all best sniping spots you can see before getting thier.  When you get to your spot, agian check all the best sniping spots you can see.  Many many times I have watched in my scope as a sniper climbs on top of a building, lays down on the edge and just starts looking for a victem, well they find one a little closer to home than they thought.

The automatic weapons are actualy better for med range, or short range shots.  You can stay zoomed in while firing, as well as beeing able to fire faster.  For people that are moving, if you are bad at getting headshots while people ar running, use a few extra shots and take 4 quick body shots.  If you are going to take perhaps 3 to get a single head shot, just aim for the body and make it 4, you can hit it faster and easier.

DO NOT FORGET YOUR PISTOL EVER.  Your pistol is just as accurate as your rifle. . . sad but true.  If your run out of ammo on a med or short range target (preferably if you only got a body shot instead, as oposed to fully missing), you can just quickly switch to your pistol, aim and kill him.  Remember your pistol has no where near the recoil penalty of your rifle, fire quickly.  I have swaped to my pistol, tuned as some on jumped at me, with a knife.  I put 4 bullets into him before he could stab me. . .  later that round he tried again, oddly we both killed eachoter (I was in an obvious spot, as my team loaded in with enemy in our main spawn driving our tank out, never to recover that round (spawn camp city).

Finaly with the M95, all but 2 bars is virtualy dead.  If some one farts to close to them they are dead.  You can be quite effective using this rifle and just taking body shots that are easier to make.  I have once finnished a round with 4 kills 23 kill assists.  I was working with a small squad defending a base (snipers work GREAT for defending flags)
(HUN)Rudebwoy
+45|6755
I say that it is not a problem if you are sniping from a rooftop.
I usually snipe there if i can, and yet the enemy could not kill me so many times.
It is simple:
put down a claymore behind you.If it blows up (hopefully not by a teammate) than you have benn spotted, so just jump off from the roof and move your ass to somewhere else.
This is my tactics when sniping, and it usually works.
P.S.:
Many times i experienced that the enemy ignores the most obvious places for sniping...
=LES=LIGHTS_OUT
+0|6719
for me its all about being as stealthy as I can, if I can get to my predetermined spot without being seen i will do well, as soon as I know someone has either seen me or identified the location of fire I'm gone, as I leave I drop a claymore for the poor guy that wants to knife me.

nice write up.
[GDC]SinnFein
Got Whiskey?
+63|6787|Meiriceá - frm 'Real Capital'
The only time I EVER worry whilst atop a roof/crane/hill is the first 20 seconds when I reach location, after a complete scope scan, I never worry again. 1/6 may hit me. 90% of the time even if it's another snipe, I'll get the drop on em'.

It's just that last 3ft of the ladders and the quick prone with the left/right wiggle all while staring 20 sec. scan that give me pressure.
Flasheart88
+0|6760|Brisbane
First up, good article - I'm fully literate and thus was able to read the whole thing.

All I can say is that as far as I'm aware, the accuracy of sniper rifles is not affected by the stance of the shooter. Yes, the deviation after the shot is affected, but unlike the other small arms in the game, the first shot has the same accuracy whether you're standing or prone. Therefore, it doesn't matter if you can't get prone on the top of the tall buildings - besides, that's good cover.
TigrisJK
+3|6726
By practical experience, I can tell you that I personally cannot hit the broad side of a barn whilst standing with a sniper rifle, much less score a headshot. I am, therefore, under the impression that deviation numbers apply for the first shot, and are only increased per subsequent shot with recoil numbers also factoring in, which shouldn't be a large problem with bolt-action rifles. Standing however, seems to be an option only when you have no other choice.

Whether not it's just psychological, I'll leave to people who know the meanings of the numbers better than I.

Edit:

Now that I've checked the wiki, I'm pretty sure deviation factors in for every shot, including the first. The equation is:

The formula is (Min Deviation * Stance) + (Additional Shots) * (Zoom Mod) + [(Recoil) * Recoil Zoom Mod].

So on the first shot, the only calculation that matters is Min Deviation * Stance.

However, I find this interesting in that if the sniper rifle had an unzoomed crosshair, there would be no penalties to firing without zooming, since the zoom mod only affects the additional shots and the recoil mods. (never mind, the deviation mod while zoomed seems to say otherwise)

This equation also lends insight into the ineffectiveness of the way so many people use the semi-auto rifles, since the deviation after each shot from the semi-auto rifles are much higher than with even an assault rifle. I personally like to give myself breather time before firing the second shot, so it's not much of a problem for me, though I have seen and heard beginner snipers fire as rapidly as possible, thinking each shot they fire will go exactly where their crosshairs are pointing.

Last edited by TigrisJK (2005-12-12 05:14:52)

TigrisJK
+3|6726
Booya.

https://www.johannkwan.com/sniperkills.jpg

22 kills before I died on Warlord. Matches my previous killstreak record... I had 5+ players gunning after me by the time I died, and then next round the commander kept putting artillery up my ass...

... but it was worth it.

Last edited by TigrisJK (2005-12-12 14:43:37)

stryyker
bad touch
+1,682|6720|California

heh, i like our logic

but you must see that a good 143% of all snipers arent good at it. they wait to steal kills from other snipers, or just sit there with their thumb up their butt. in the 250 hours i have played, i have seen mabye 5 people do all of those steps, im glad to see someone has brains, tho
TigrisJK
+3|6726
Oh of course I see that. Actually, I see it every time I log in and do some sniping (which is pretty much all I do if I'm not playing with my friends nowadays)... easy pickings, if you ask me. It's good to have idiots like that for me to put bullets inbetween the eyes of.
Nyte
Legendary BF2S Veteran
+535|6752|Toronto, ON
Just get an MX518 and switch sensitivities while sniping, long range = low sensitivity and close range = knife+high sensitivity.

EDIT: Sorry about double posting, company firewall...

Last edited by Nyte (2005-12-12 16:05:41)

Alpha as fuck.
TigrisJK
+3|6726
I don't like switching sensitivities ever, really. I run on a relatively high sensitivity at all times, and games like Call of Duty that sort of dampen the sensitivity in zoom tend to just disorient me.

Actually, what I think would be best for me to do would be to get a mouse with a higher resolution.
TigrisJK
+3|6726
Revisions for the 1.2 patch:

Claymores are great, so long as your teammates aren't idiots. If you're in a decent spot with little traffic though, they shouldn't be a problem. Put one a metre or so behind you, and if anyone tries to sneak up on you (especially if you're on the side of a hill and they have to come over the lip to get to you) they're out, real fast.
The new patch puts and end to the idiocy of claymores. In fact, they've made the sniper a brilliant strategic kit, since you can easily defend a key point from infantry or secure yourself when attacking a point. Now you may leave them at choke points, behind corners, etc, without ever fearing for the lives of your teammates (or your precious points). Be warned, however, that using your sniper kit offensively will drop your accuracy stats. But you'll get more kills and be more involved with the game strategically.

Be aware, however, of the snipers on the enemy team. Avoid high traffic lanes except to plant your own deathtraps. Then get the hell outta there. If you see a claymore, you no longer can remove them with your grenades. Stop, turn around, go the other way. Hunker down and revert to pre-patch tactics, especially when your claymores are exhausted. Or find a crate or support troop (they're a dime a dozen these days) and plant two more. I think they max out at 4 at a time on the battlefield. You can also deter other snipers from going to their favourite vantage points by leaving your claymores about and sending a vivid message to go the hell away. Use your brain for these. Sometimes predictability is good.

Counter-claymoring is easy. Avoid the predictable routes. Go around if you must, and give corners a wide berth. Or use a vehicle... but if you're riding around in a gunner's position I would suggest a kit with armour over the sniper kit.

Pistols are generally all the same. Besides your rifle, it's your best friend. In a close-range battle, if someone has located you, hit them with the sniper rifle and use the pistol to finish the kill. Or even long range. Instant kill. Good times.

Your rifle. Now, I'm sure everyone's aware of the debate between the rifles, and the extreme dislike of the semi-automatics. Personally, my favorite rifle has to be the M24. I'm a little headshot happy though. Bulletdrop is barely an issue, I have my view range set to 100% and even at the farthest I can see I can still pop off a headshot on a stationary target, or at least a torso hit. However, I disagree slightly on the stance on semi-autos. I use the M95 a lot, when I'm on MEC or the Chinese, but if used properly, I think the semi-auto rifles have more potential. They're headshot happy weapons, so long as you're not treating them like your DAO-12. And as far as a long-range weapon, they are excellent for those pesky sprinting medics trying to revive everyone you just killed. (though, they kind of are nice, as far as getting free kills go)
Your pistol, since the bouncy sight and non-jump additions, is even MORESO your best friend now. Learn to use it well. In fact, practise using the pistol whatever kit you're on at any time. You'll find it a deadly accurate weapon even while standing, once you get used to peering overtop the silencer. Keep an eye out on your hit indicator. If you're not hitting, you gotta readjust for recoil. But you should know that already.

The rifles: The new L96 is possibly the best unlock a sniper could've hoped for. Diehard M24 fans will stick with the M24, and that's fine. With any kit it is important to stick to the weapon that feels best to you. The M95 is also a valid choice, especially if dealing with vehicular nonsense.

However, statistically. the L96 is as accurate as the M24 and has a faster reload time, which is essential when you find yourself with a target running across the fields while you're in the midst of reloading. Which, any sniper can tell you from experience, happens pretty often, since you don't actually have that many bullets to play with.

The semi-automatic rifles can STILL be treated like your DAO-12 or with the prone-standing trick, where you prone, stand, shoot, and rinse and repeat, but not only are those tactics NOT going to be covered in this guide ever, but the latter is somewhat shafted by the shaky sights. (Thank God)

Your knife may come in handy on rare occasions, but in my experience, it will be near useless to you. The proverb "don't bring a knife to a gun fight" has plenty meaning here, because as a sniper you generally don't move. You won't be sneaking up on all too many people, unless, of course, you are relocating.
and

Grenades, everyone should know how to use. As a sniper, I use them when I'm relocating or fleeing. Otherwise they make too much of an action and give away my position.
A word on the knife: Now that the sniper has become more of a strategic kit, the knife comes in way more handy. There are plenty of guides to using the knife, but rule of thumb being: If they can't see you, and you're  afraid you won't kill them fast enough with the pistol, shank 'em. Or if you're out of ammo. But then, good luck.

Same with Grenades. now that you're taking/defending points more often than not, use those nades. Chuck them at a point that's being taken, or to clear a point before you run in. They are NO LONGER useful for clearing claymores.

Last edited by TigrisJK (2006-02-23 12:34:28)

RSI_paratrooper
+2|6646
I love sniping all the snipers that sit on rooftops in Warlord. That's how I got my biggest killstreak using my trusty M24. When they have a medic it is even more fun. Maybe later I'll go back to the M95 and 96a1 but for now I've got headshots to make....

There is a really nice 64 player Korean server that's just fantastic to be a British sniper on when the insurgents are winning.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard