Ty
Mass Media Casualty
+2,398|6767|Noizyland

I posted this in Debate and Serious talk but it is related to Battlefield 2.
Who here is honestly offended by swearing?
Yes, we all know that it's not the right thing to do in good company, and we refrain from it, but who is offended by it.
If someone says "Fuck" if they are killed in game, are you offended? I know I'm not. I feel that people should be allowed to swear when appropriate, and playing a war game is appropriate.
Fuck, shit, damn, bitch, crap and many others are words. Just that. A lot of people don't even know what these words mean yet are still offended by them.
Who says "shit" and thinks about faecal matter? I don't unless I'm talking about the noun. Or the word "Fuck" thinking about sexual relations? I don't unless I'm talking about the verb.
As a simple exclamaition of frustration or annoyance, swearing is no problem, people need to stop being so PC and stop thinking "Grandma wouldn't like that."

Grandma dosn't play Battlefield 2.

Ty wrote:

This is really really really really really old.

Last edited by Tyferra (2005-12-06 22:49:47)

[Blinking eyes thing]
Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/tzyon
Horseman 77
Banned
+160|6829
Hear Hear ! I didnt swear for 12 years when I was an Instructor so I get the same Rush that a nine year old gets using four letter words. I love to curse. make me sound so.. Tuff n rough ! fukers !
I kik your ass you dam guy! you bastard guy !
Krappyappy
'twice cooked beef!'
+111|6812
sphincter-diving cunt diaper!

swearing can be fun.
Ty
Mass Media Casualty
+2,398|6767|Noizyland

And creative! I agree.
[Blinking eyes thing]
Horseman 77
Banned
+160|6829
Check out my post of Creative words to flame with.
tF-voodoochild
Pew Pew!
+216|6840|San Francisco

They are just words, and have their place in everyday dialogue. It all comes down to intent if you ask me. If someone is swearing at me with the intent of pissing me off, or threatening me, then it quickly becomes not okay.

Here are a few links to some news articles on the subject which I found rather interesting.

BBC Article (which I found kind of funny since none of those words are really swear words to my American brain...)

NY Times Article about the inner working of the brain and the recent consideration of a bill which would penalize people for swearing on the air.
Krappyappy
'twice cooked beef!'
+111|6812
asspelunking buggerite!

i love the BBC.
Echo
WOoKie
+383|6712|The Netherlands
ye badword filters are bullshit, they kick u for saying fuck u, but when u write F**k u can stay and every1 understands what u r saying.

On servers with badword filters i usually swear in dutch, usually that ll be: hoer! (means whore in dutch)
Rosse_modest
+76|6768|Antwerp, Flanders
I swear a lot, also in real life.
I believe it is an effective way to quickly communicate your negative emotions...
It allows other people to easily recognize how frustrated and angry you really are!
Sgt.Gh0st
Pump-Action Pimp
+16|6774|The Hague, Holland
In all those hours in BF2 I never cursed whatsoever.
I only scream "SHIT!" everynow and then.
I mostly say "Oh that shit is Not possible.."
Im not that foul-mounded I whas raised with manners
J/k .
p0wn
+1|6756

Tyferra wrote:

I posted this in Debate and Serious talk but it is related to Battlefield 2.
Who here is honestly offended by swearing?
Yes, we all know that it's not the right thing to do in good company, and we refrain from it, but who is offended by it.
If someone says "Fuck" if they are killed in game, are you offended? I know I'm not. I feel that people should be allowed to swear when appropriate, and playing a war game is appropriate.
Fuck, shit, damn, bitch, crap and many others are words. Just that. A lot of people don't even know what these words mean yet are still offended by them.
Who says "shit" and thinks about faecal matter? I don't unless I'm talking about the noun. Or the word "Fuck" thinking about sexual relations? I don't unless I'm talking about the verb.
As a simple exclamaition of frustration or annoyance, swearing is no problem, people need to stop being so PC and stop thinking "Grandma wouldn't like that."

So, what would you think if I was to say "I'm going to fuck your shit up!" ?

I also enjoy using many of the words that many in society see as inapproperate, and I do so often.  When my 2 year old begins to say them, though, I won't like that.  There is a double standard for children for me on this issue, and I'm not quite sure why.  He does say "what's that!" alot, and sometimes runs the words together and mispronounces them enough to make it sound like shit, which is quite funny.
CreepingDeath
+1|6736
Will you all stop typing these swear words here pleaseeee. . . I have virgin eyes ..

You god damn, stupid mother fuckers. Shit I just wish you all bitches would come up with better and new fucking words. Hell if I knew all these words I have read here so fucking far I wouldnt be able to become a future catholic preist. HMMMMMM nuns and sisters .  . . I cant wait until  I am able to lick some holy pussy.
Making them say OH MY GOD OH MY GOD. .

Have a great mother fucking day.
=Robin-Hood=
A stranger in the dark
+213|6813|Belgium

Sticks and stones, but swearing words...

I would like to make a distinction between flame swearing and plain foul language.

I find it a statement of lower intelligence to flame someone, since there are so much more ways the knock one out of his socks... Flame words won't brake any bones, but good wording can So I resent flamers.

But just using foul language... Shit, I don't give a fuck... You're an ass if you do... Than again, I am not native English, and thus here we use English swear words like shit - fuck - cut rather often. Because they sound "softer" than Dutch swear words. If I would use kak - neuk - kut (hehe education at work here ) people would think I am from a mental institution, or have a serious problem and should go to a mental institution. So I believe there is a difference in language culture, and I can understand that the average native English speaker will have more difficulties with the usage of foul (English) language... Than again, the movie educated population wouldn't now any other way...

Cheers,
R
bs6749
+3|6736

Tyferra wrote:

Who gives a fuck what grandma thinks?
bs6749
+3|6736

General-Echo wrote:

ye badword filters are bullshit, they kick u for saying fuck u, but when u write F**k u can stay and every1 understands what u r saying.

On servers with badword filters i usually swear in dutch, usually that ll be: hoer! (means whore in dutch)
I got warned for saying "shit" on one server. Then I told everyone how stupid I thought the language fliter was by calling it "Gay". Yeah, I got kicked for saying "gay".. how fuckng retarded is that. I really like to play on FMG (Full Metal Gaming) servers but those fucks seriously need to rethink some shit. I say god damnit so often on their servers and never get kicked. Many people have mentioned that the church is the source of curse words, as they were the ones who determined if a world was foul or not. I am pretty sure that they would not like me saying "god damnit" or any other swear words so what is the fucking deal with language filters being so "Gay"?

Words I have been kicked for: puss, pussy, gay, shit, bitch, fuck, ass.
Not been kicked for: wuss, wussy, crap, god damnit.

I think all that I have done, if anything at all, is make servers add more "bad words" to their kick list feature. To all of them I say, " blow me fuck wads".
FeloniousMonk
+0|6727
wow

By raising the fines that would be levied against offending broadcasters some fifteenfold, to a fee of about $500,000 per crudity broadcast, and by threatening to revoke the licenses of repeat polluters,
Am I the only one disgusted by that? Don't we have an ammendment protecting the inherent human right to free speech? I listen to Mancow every morning and it irritates me that he's not allowed to say "fuck" on the air as many times as his little heart pleases him. Goddamn this country is retarded sometimes.
DrDestruction
Utilityman
+1|6770
No kidding.  People can throw garbage out windows, litter, piss in the streets, etc., for minor fines.  But BE CAREFUL!  Someone said "SHIT" on the radio!
leighto
+1|6710|Australia

<{SoE}>Agamemnar wrote:

I'm not offended by it... I'm offended by people who are offended by it.

Fucking choirboys.
lol that is grade A awesomeness

i agree if u dont like swearing dont play the fucking game plain and simple.
atlvolunteer
PKMMMMMMMMMM
+27|6763|Atlanta, GA USA
Yeah, I think having a language filter in a game where you kill people is pretty much ridiculous.  I think it is an indication of the direction our country is going.  I mean, increasing the fines for swearing on the air to $500000?  Give me a fucking break!  OMG little Billy heard somebody say fuck on the radio!  Of course, little Billy hears the little punks he hangs out with at school say fuck 50 times a day...

Last edited by atlvolunteer (2005-12-07 14:23:56)

Ty
Mass Media Casualty
+2,398|6767|Noizyland

And Little Billy in not exactly a 'Choirboy' either. Little Billy is a dirty little shit when it comes to swearing.
I have not seen so many swearwords in a topic yet. You make me so proud *Sniff.*
[Blinking eyes thing]
RhadamanthysSCC
+2|6716|Perth, Western Australia
Y'see, the problem here is that you're all desensitised to the cursing going on about you. Most of the forums I frequent (and especially the one I moderate) don't tolerate swearing in an effort to remain 'family friendly' (i.e. a place where mum and dad don't mind 8 year old Johnny Choirboy, who really is a choirboy, hanging out) so wandering into this thread I have to admit I'm cringing a little, simply because I don't associate the word 'fuck' with internet forums. Though I suspect after this I will

Do I curse? Certainly, sometimes like a trooper. Do I curse in-game over in-game events? No, frankly nothing that happens in an online game is worth the bother of swearing. The most you'll get from me is a resigned shake of the head and an itch to kill someone (online of course ).

Do I get offended when folks swear in BF2? No, (though I must admit I do often mentally tag folks who can't find an alternative to swearing and seem to do nothing but swear when things don't go their way in an online game as perhaps a little immature) I just figure if they're busy typing 'Fuck you dipshit!' that it's more time for me to sneak up on them and put them out of their misery...
Rosse_modest
+76|6768|Antwerp, Flanders

atlvolunteer wrote:

Yeah, I think having a language filter in a game where you kill people is pretty much ridiculous.  I think it is an indication of the direction our country is going.  I mean, increasing the fines for swearing on the air to $500000?  Give me a fucking break!  OMG little Billy heard somebody say fuck on the radio!  Of course, little Billy hears the little punks he hangs out with at school say fuck 50 times a day...
Yes, but you're not really killing people... you're firing something that looks like a gun and sometimes you see the person you're shooting at make these funny moves AS IF he's being hit by small high velocity projectiles.
Eventually they fall down on the ground as if they're knocked down by a sudden gust of wind (your "firearm" is probably nothing more than a compressed air tool). Consequently their bodies show no sign of any damage whatsoever. They're just PLAYING dead, because 15 seconds later they'll spawn in again to return the favor...

Swearing is an entirely different matter, you're not PRETENDING to use "foul" language, you're ACTUALLY DOING IT!!!
atlvolunteer
PKMMMMMMMMMM
+27|6763|Atlanta, GA USA
Then why have ratings for games?  Since its only pretend, we can let a 5 yr old play it...
topal63
. . .
+533|6710
I TK-them if they're on my side. . . I'm not offended - but I think it's lame & boring.

Then again I think these things are lame as well:
1.) BIG ORANGE letter names,
2.) TK-ing for vehicles - I TK them back Over & Over till I get kicked.
3.) Expecting to OWN a vehicle when entering in the middle of a round - let they guy have the spwaning vehicle until the round is over - next round ALL YOURS
4.) Players that horde vehicles ROUND to ROUND to. . .
5.) Players that take jeeps and leave others stranded at the main base.
6.) People who give a crap about stats.
7.) . . . and many other things whiney in nature.

Last edited by topal63 (2005-12-09 09:16:50)

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard