hate&discontent
USMC 0311 SEMPER FI
+69|6388|USA, MICHIGAN
currently i have comcast cable internet, wife wants to switch to dsl (to save some $$).  my question to all the smart people out there is this, what kind of performance hit will i take while gaming, going from 6 megs down to 3 megs??  i'm fairly computer illiterate, so all advice is welcome!!

THANKS IN ADVANCE!!
Canin
Conservative Roman Catholic
+280|6474|Foothills of S. Carolina

When do you do most of your surfing and gaming? If it is during peak hours, what is your normal through put?
hate&discontent
USMC 0311 SEMPER FI
+69|6388|USA, MICHIGAN
i usually play at night (after 8 p.m.) but somtimes on the weekend i play in the afternoon.  i work during the day but my wife is on just during the morning and afternoon, mainly she checks her e-mail and shit like that.
hate&discontent
USMC 0311 SEMPER FI
+69|6388|USA, MICHIGAN
throught put...layman's terms??
Parker
isteal
+1,452|6393|The Gem Saloon
i dont think you will see that big of a difference.
i use DSL and i know its not even 3 gigs.....im not sure what it is but its the basic in my area.
anyway, i play on an east coast server with pings in the 40s. (im in missouri)
i rarely have any issues, and any that i have can mostly be attributed to my wireless network.
good luck though.
hate&discontent
USMC 0311 SEMPER FI
+69|6388|USA, MICHIGAN
thanks for the input, keep it coming .....PLEASE
leftoverkiller
+9|6462
i have verizon dsl. i live in upstate NY . when i run this test from cnet  http://reviews.cnet.com/7004-7254_7-0.html  my speed is 1100-1300kbps. when i play bf2 online in Texas team players server my ping is about 80-90 never spiking to more than 100.  ive had little to no problems with it. the dsl also works great for surfing the net or file sharing. hope this helps some
hate&discontent
USMC 0311 SEMPER FI
+69|6388|USA, MICHIGAN
anyone else have any input??
Hunter/Jumper
+117|6353
DSL is safer, more secure, cheaper, greatly effected by distance, has a tendency to fall out of programing  more than cable. but as a Telco employee I only saw the problems, not the satisfied customers. Cable seems better They say it has problems with peak use hours but I have not noticed it. It is acseable from many points not secure when I was poor I didnt give a F**k.

Cable has  never ever failed me in 6 years. mine seems fast too, ping is 30 40  !

Ask your neighbors about their service, cable is clunky in some areas

Last edited by Hunter/Jumper (2007-03-29 16:45:36)

Darky
Hi..
+71|6561|Here.
You'll find that with DSL, you're not sharing a connection with other users in your neighbourhood like you are with cable.

The problem you may have however, is that the further you are from the local telephone exchange, the more your speed reduces. You'll also find a problem if your phone line is not in a decent state of repair.

I prefer the DSL we have now (aDSL2+), as we don't get the regular speed slow downs we did with cable.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard