AnarkyXtra
BF2s EU Server Admin
+67|6786|Hanging onto the UAV
Has anyone had any direct experience of upgrading from the vanilla Audigy 2 to the X-Fi Xtreme Music card? I'm thinking of upgrading and want to know whether it'll be worth the money and whether you can actually hear the difference or not.
B.Schuss
I'm back, baby... ( sort of )
+664|6840|Cologne, Germany

If I remember correctly, there is already thread about this somewhere around here. I suggest you try the search thingy to find it. Can't tell you where it is, sorry.

I myself use sound on board.

All I hear though is that the extra $ won't pay off since BF2 cannot make use of the additional features of the X-Fi extreme and that the vanilla audigy will do just fine.
AnarkyXtra
BF2s EU Server Admin
I did search but it didn't answer my question..hence me posting. 

And I thought that BF2 did make use of the X-Fi because of the 'Ultra' sound setting?
Leatherface-TCM
The Saw is Family
+0|6820
B.Schuss
I'm back, baby... ( sort of )
+664|6840|Cologne, Germany

never noticed that setting. I'll look for that next time. As I have said, I use sound on board. So I wouldn't know if BF2 does make use of it. Just stating what I have heard around here.
Zeibach
110% NOOBTUBE
+11|6722|Germany
Forget the X-Fi this is marketing. They say bla bla bla, like Nvidia " The way its mant to be played" wtf
This all is new shit it's expensive. I say keep your onboard or Audigy 2 and safe your money,
you will need it for next grafic update
ResDog1
+51|6764|Netherlands
Well here is your complete answer.

The X-fi has problems with the Nforce 4 motherboard chip, so if you have a mother board with Nforce 4 do NOT go for X-fi, stay with Audigy 2 ZS.
In the forums I read that the price of an X-fi v.s the upgrade in soundquality and speed does NOT justify an upgrade from AUdigy 2 ZS. X-fi does have better soundquality, but people that have the Audigy 2 ZS are dissapointed abouth what they gained for their $$$.

If you are on an earlier model soundcard the X-fi does justify the $$$.

X-fi gives you a new setting in BF2 of ultragh which does let you hear amazing things, like crickets, birds, twiggs breaking when somebody steps on them in you area, you can hear jets soaring OVER your head and off in the distance (and I mean OVER your head). It seems you have better performance, but I allready had good perdormance so i did not notice this. 

Actually I had a decrease of performance at the beginning due to a problem when you uninstall old Creative drivers and install the new X-fi. After I deleted all the crap with a driver deinstall tool (see google), installed the CD drivers and installed the driver upgrade It ran smooth. I for me upgrading from a non 5.1 SB live, it is a different game experience.

So if you own an Audigy 2 ZS, stick with the Audigy.
If you do not, and you do not have an Nforce 4 motherboard go for the X-fi Xtreme music.
The Fatality version of the card is just a penis extension and does not justify the 100$ price difference.

But if you have to compensate for a small penis, than by all means go for the Fatality (although the bihage that digs you for this card is probably a big fat troll and you can score her without this card anyway.) But I am wandering off.

Please let us know what you decided.

Greetz,

ResDog
AnarkyXtra
BF2s EU Server Admin
ResDog1 - thanks for the info. Here's my current system spec:

ASUS A8N SLI motherboard
Athlon64 3700+ (San Diego core)
2gb Corsair Twin-X
Audigy 2
XFX GeForce 7800 GTX

Now I know you said that nForce4 motherboards had compatability problems with the X-Fi...can you give me a link to where you found that out? I'm sure a saw a CustomPC (UK mag) review of the X-Fi and they used a nForce4-based system to test it....I'll check.

Zeibach: As you can see, I don't need to upgrade my graphics just yet. 
Zeibach
110% NOOBTUBE
+11|6722|Germany
WOW! not bad,
I have
DFI Lanparty SLI-DR
Athlon64 4000+ @ 2600Mhz
1Gb Corsair XMS 3200XL
Leadtek 6800 GT but 7800 GTX is coming

I thought, too about buying the X-FI but "shit" NF4
AnarkyXtra
BF2s EU Server Admin
Yeah - if it turns out that it has issues with nf4 motherboards, that'll annoy me. Still gotta justify shelling out £90 for it, too...and how I'll hide it from the girlfriend if I do get one delivered! 
chuyskywalker
Admin
+2,439|6847|"Frisco"

ResDog1 wrote:

The Fatality version of the card is just a penis extension and does not justify the 100$ price difference.

But if you have to compensate for a small penis, than by all means go for the Fatality (although the bihage that digs you for this card is probably a big fat troll and you can score her without this card anyway.) But I am wandering off.
There is also the Platinum version, which I just got. It's - basically - the Fatality version, minus the big-fucking-ego trip $100 extra price. If you don't need a shitload of input/output options (mostly the Optical for DVD's, etc) then the Xtreme-music is a good choice.

I'm pretty happy with it -- mostly because, coming from onboard sound, I am really happy with the ability to offload that work to the hardware and gain a noticeable increase in FPS.

Also, I am no audiophile, but the crystalizer chip thing that's supposed to make MP3's sound better does work. You can sit there and toggle it while playing a song and I noticed a difference.

And yes, BF2 will go into "XFI" mode and let you pick Ultra-High settings.

I can't speak to a comparision between cards, but I can say that I like this card and would reccommend either version of it.
AnarkyXtra
BF2s EU Server Admin
Chuy, do you have an nF4 chipset? Trying to find out if there's any truth in the rumour that the X-Fi has trouble with nF4...
chuyskywalker
Admin
+2,439|6847|"Frisco"

No, it's on a P4P800 Deluxe, no nf4. I think the system I am getting monday is NF4, and if it is I'll report back then. However, I recall hearing/reading that it's just an update to get around the bug.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard