DesertFox-
The very model of a modern major general
+794|6683|United States of America
I've been looking at my old posts; when I came to these forums, I was a bit of a jerk. I seemed to be very close-minded person with little experience outside my own realm of thinking. I also seemed to be uber-conservative for whatever reason, probably that I was content with my state of affairs at the time. I was somewhat of a jagoff because I seemed to be insulting those who I disagreed with. Over the course of several months, I've changed by some amount. Definately, I moved over into the centrist column of the political spectrum as I discovered my dislike at the liberal and conservative labels that I consider equally undesirable. I hope that I respect the opinions of others more, no matter how insulting or illogical I consider it to be but I also am more tolerant in a debate where I will also take time to read the thoughts of others, some of whom I considered not worth the time. I'm enjoying getting more of a worldwide opinion on ideas, although I get a bit defensive when most of it is negatively directed toward my country :p. All in all, certainly I have come through a positive learning and growth experience during my stint up until this time and shall further develop, I hope.
Liberal-Sl@yer
Certified BF2S Asshole
+131|6454|The edge of sanity
Well after taking a long time from DS&T (im orginally a late '05er back before bubbalo and ATG , lol i remember welcoming them to the forums) I learned that one needs a cool head and a strong mind for an appropriate argument or disscusion to take place.
usmarine2007
Banned
+374|6366|Columbus, Ohio
I am still an asshole.

/win
ATG
Banned
+5,233|6528|Global Command

Liberal-Sl@yer wrote:

Well after taking a long time from DS&T (im orginally a late '05er back before bubbalo and ATG , lol i remember welcoming them to the forums) I learned that one needs a cool head and a strong mind for an appropriate argument or disscusion to take place.
I wondered if that was you.
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6650|USA
I am still waiting to be proven wrong......................................on anything!!!
ATG
Banned
I've learned where the line is and not to cross it in debate.
Bansville on a quality forum sux.
CoronadoSEAL
pics or it didn't happen
+207|6517|USA
still fairly new to it, but i have learned quite a bit.
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6650|USA

ATG wrote:

Who would dare ban a person of your stature ....................and karma??
left wing conspiracy I tell ya.
Skorpy-chan
+127|6344|Twyford, UK
DST has messed up my perception of time.
Oh, wait, not Daylight Savings Time.

I have realised that the internet IS full of crackpots, people spouting anti-bush rhetoric, and gullible people who don't play enough videogames.
I mean, you lot are almost as bad as my friend's sister, who I once managed to convince that Sherpas throw schoolkids off mountains as sacrifices, and eat randomly selected ones after deliberately getting lost.
ATG
Banned

lowing wrote:

ATG wrote:

Who would dare ban a person of your stature ....................and karma??
left wing conspiracy I tell ya.
Nobody is immune from the ban hammer.
stryyker
bad touch
+1,682|6718|California

I hate Liberals more now than ever.

I like oil a lot more, and Bush a lot less. Also, I hate Bill O'Reily more than ever.
Ty
Mass Media Casualty
+2,398|6773|Noizyland

lowing wrote:

I am still waiting to be proven wrong......................................on anything!!!
Yes, ignorance is a blessing isn't it?
[Blinking eyes thing]
Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/tzyon
Skorpy-chan
+127|6344|Twyford, UK
I've also learned that people online have no concept of taking the piss.
ATG
Banned

Skorpy-chan wrote:

Is that UK speak for handling an insult?
Scorpion0x17
can detect anyone's visible post count...
+691|6764|Cambridge (UK)

DesertFox423 wrote:

I've been looking at my old posts; when I came to these forums, I was a bit of a jerk. I seemed to be very close-minded person with little experience outside my own realm of thinking. I also seemed to be uber-conservative for whatever reason, probably that I was content with my state of affairs at the time. I was somewhat of a jagoff because I seemed to be insulting those who I disagreed with. Over the course of several months, I've changed by some amount. Definately, I moved over into the centrist column of the political spectrum as I discovered my dislike at the liberal and conservative labels that I consider equally undesirable. I hope that I respect the opinions of others more, no matter how insulting or illogical I consider it to be but I also am more tolerant in a debate where I will also take time to read the thoughts of others, some of whom I considered not worth the time. I'm enjoying getting more of a worldwide opinion on ideas, although I get a bit defensive when most of it is negatively directed toward my country :p. All in all, certainly I have come through a positive learning and growth experience during my stint up until this time and shall further develop, I hope.
Wow.

I'm not claiming to have had any role in your, shall we say 'conversion' - but, at times it helps me to think that maybe something I have posted has made someone think and see just a little 'outside their box' and in general I think this is what debate is all about - exploring the issues from all sides with an open and willing mind in the hope that, through a better understanding of other viewpoints, we may all benefit from a greater knowledge of this world that we all share - so it warms my heart to see that D&ST is having that effect on at least one person.

And to answer the question in your thread subject - it hasn't much really - well, no more than life in general - I'm still the opinionated freak that'll come at you from all angles that I was when I first joined (and I know I'm still 'newbie' compared to some)...
Scorpion0x17
can detect anyone's visible post count...
+691|6764|Cambridge (UK)

ATG wrote:

Skorpy-chan wrote:

Is that UK speak for handling an insult?
LOL yes, ATG, that's exactly what it means
Spark
liquid fluoride thorium reactor
+874|6673|Canberra, AUS

Skorpy-chan wrote:

Well... taking the piss and sarcasm rely heavily on tone of voice, which is impossible in the forum.

That being said, I think I've become a much better debater, much better at supporting my arguments and far more open-minded.
The paradox is only a conflict between reality and your feeling what reality ought to be.
~ Richard Feynman
[CANADA]_Zenmaster
Pope Picard II
+473|6744

After posting here several times, I learned that it is not worth my time, and everytime I open DST to peer at what heresay and idiotic opinions are being vented, I shudder and wish I knew better then to click each enticing title.

It is like people here don't understand black and white is a fallacy - e.g. a common ground, a common understanding can be reached. Debate is not simply refusing to admit anything into evidence and venting one's own opinion no matter what opposition is present. That is called being stubborn and ignorant. There is actually very little debate that goes on here.

Most people come in with an opinion and then source out bogus material on some random uncredited, academically bogus website to support their theories, if they even do that. Then someone else says, zomg wtf!! your full of shit, here is my opinion and because it's my opinion I don't have to listen with yours! More people add their opinions like throwing books on a fire, and none of the new posters bother to read what anyone else has said.

Then a flame war ensues, and no doubt someone brings up someones "credentials," as if anyone here has any. Then someone posts some lolcats pictures, and somebody else says "inb4dalock." Now the thread is completely derailed and the next hot topic is brought up and destroyed with more ignorant cess then you can shake your head at.

Also, everyone assumes a counter-argument to someones original argument must be a personal attack, and everyone breaks out the sarcastic remarks and insults in riposte. It's like trying to have a debate with pre-school kids who just want to fight over who gets to play with the wooden blocks first.

Thus, posting anything in DST is simply not worth the time. Reading it however, will teach you how many semi-literate people there can be in the world and will raise some interesting questions, such as "how can these people feed themselves?" etc.  I'm pretty sure these parting remarks fit right in with the flamewar that is DST
deeznutz1245
Connecticut: our chimps are stealin yo' faces.
+483|6491|Connecticut
I have learned nothing. I do, however, have a great desire to know what Bubbalo looks like. It really annoys me. I picture this fucking penguin in my head when I get pissed off at work or whatever and I wonder what he looks lke. Any guesses? For some reason I picture constant bedhead.
Malloy must go
konfusion
mostly afk
+480|6549|CH/BR - in UK

It all depends. If something bad happens in the news, all you get as answers is "I would totally beat the crap out of whoever did that". On other topics, like religion and Palistan, you get amazing discussions with proof and everything. However, in those discussions, you'll always get those people who are too closed-minded, and can therefore not see other people's points.
I like D&ST, because it gives you a broad perspective, as long as you ignore the occasional idiot who thinks this is just another Junk Drawer...

-konfusion
CameronPoe
+2,925|6554
The best thing about D&ST is that it exposes you to people who you don't agree with, people whose views you might not ordinarily hear (or ever hear) in your everyday life. That can only be a good thing, a healthy thing. It isn't healthy to go through life on this earth only listening to voices of agreement.
BVC
+325|6694
When I first came to D&ST I was an affirmed leftie, american-hater.  Now, partly thanks to D&ST and partly thanks to uni I try to stick to the issues rather than bagging a people/country.

Last edited by Pubic (2007-03-22 03:17:49)

Liberal-Sl@yer
Certified BF2S Asshole
+131|6454|The edge of sanity

ATG wrote:

Liberal-Sl@yer wrote:

I wondered if that was you.
Ha yep remember how i used to be ATG? lolz.
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6650|USA

[CANADA]_Zenmaster wrote:

After posting here several times, I learned that it is not worth my time, and everytime I open DST to peer at what heresay and idiotic opinions are being vented, I shudder and wish I knew better then to click each enticing title.

It is like people here don't understand black and white is a fallacy - e.g. a common ground, a common understanding can be reached. Debate is not simply refusing to admit anything into evidence and venting one's own opinion no matter what opposition is present. That is called being stubborn and ignorant. There is actually very little debate that goes on here.

Most people come in with an opinion and then source out bogus material on some random uncredited, academically bogus website to support their theories, if they even do that. Then someone else says, zomg wtf!! your full of shit, here is my opinion and because it's my opinion I don't have to listen with yours! More people add their opinions like throwing books on a fire, and none of the new posters bother to read what anyone else has said.

Then a flame war ensues, and no doubt someone brings up someones "credentials," as if anyone here has any. Then someone posts some lolcats pictures, and somebody else says "inb4dalock." Now the thread is completely derailed and the next hot topic is brought up and destroyed with more ignorant cess then you can shake your head at.

Also, everyone assumes a counter-argument to someones original argument must be a personal attack, and everyone breaks out the sarcastic remarks and insults in riposte. It's like trying to have a debate with pre-school kids who just want to fight over who gets to play with the wooden blocks first.

Thus, posting anything in DST is simply not worth the time. Reading it however, will teach you how many semi-literate people there can be in the world and will raise some interesting questions, such as "how can these people feed themselves?" etc.  I'm pretty sure these parting remarks fit right in with the flamewar that is DST
My personal favorites are people like this, who basically have all the answers to all the worlds problems but think they are above sharing them and will just let us "idiots" ramble on.

I also note his karma. Not bad for someone who doesn't post here because it is a waste of your time.

Last edited by lowing (2007-03-22 03:41:44)

Vilham
Say wat!?
+580|6765|UK

CameronPoe wrote:

The best thing about D&ST is that it exposes you to people who you don't agree with, people whose views you might not ordinarily hear (or ever hear) in your everyday life. That can only be a good thing, a healthy thing. It isn't healthy to go through life on this earth only listening to voices of agreement.
I agree, but I cant think of one topic they have changed my mind on apart from maybe Israel conflict, now i just think fuck em.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard