ATG
Banned
+5,233|6527|Global Command

Code:

Rant on:
https://i17.tinypic.com/2regqip.jpg

I've had an epinphany.
Listening to the news is depressing me.

Nothing but how our government is doing nothing about the border. More dead Americans in Iraq. Mortgage crisis. Global warming doom. Bird Flu. Toxic waste, and on and on without end.

So my question;
Supposed we all just stopped watching.

Would Palestinians blow themselves up in Israel if they weren't constantly being told how evil the Israelis are? Would CameronPoe give two rips about either of them? Would George Bush be viewed as the buffoon if it wasn't drummed into our heads everyday? Would Al Gore be the yapping dog?

Would I be freaking out about Mexicans? Getting an ulcer over the economy?

What, seriously, would be the benefits or disadvantages to life without instant news?

Many people have branded me a hopeless partisan here. Perhaps I just like to write. Either way, to perhaps the end of DST, let us join in together and stop watching the news. The world will be a happier, and perhaps more peaceful place.
Imagine...

I seriously intend to print up bumper stickers and make this my new mission in life. Here's the original;
https://i17.tinypic.com/33o66c4.jpg

Code:

Rant off
http://thedailydump.blogspot.com/2005/08/this-just-in-news-is-depressing.html

Last edited by ATG (2007-03-18 20:41:04)

stryyker
bad touch
+1,682|6718|California

I watch the O'Riley Factor for a laugh sometimes. Other than that, I just learn the news by however else i can.
Turquoise
O Canada
+1,596|6403|North Carolina
You know...  There is a country you can move to where the news is either nonexistent or always favorable to the state.  It's called North Korea.
Marlboroman82
Personal philosophy: Clothing optional.
+1,022|6621|Camp XRay

stryyker wrote:

I watch the O'Riley Factor for a laugh sometimes. Other than that, I just learn the news by however else i can.
i just ask stryyker whats going on, also i like listening to the micheal savage show. that guys is crazy.
https://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l250/marlboroman82/Untitled-8.png
R3v4n
We shall beat to quarters!
+433|6485|Melbourne

I dont watch the news alot, but i dont mind watching Sunrise (Morning/News Show) here in Aus.
~ Do you not know that in the service … one must always choose the lesser of two weevils?
Marlboroman82
Personal philosophy: Clothing optional.
+1,022|6621|Camp XRay

https://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l250/marlboroman82/Untitled-8.png
san4
The Mas
+311|6686|NYC, a place to live
L. Ron Hubbard agrees with you:

www.tipsforsuccess.org wrote:

Of course, newspapers, news magazines and television news make the most money by spreading as much bad news as possible. The more terrifying the news, the more people will watch their television news or buy their papers and magazines. They make us think we have to listen to them to protect ourselves.

Recommendations

1. Stop reading newspapers and news magazines. Just completely cut out the news in your life.

Instead, read an interesting book.

2. Stop watching the news on television. How does it help you or anyone to know about deaths, danger and catastrophes?

Instead, watch an upbeat show or take a walk.

3. Avoid people who like to pass on disturbing "news."

Instead, spend time with people who like to pass on cheerful news.

4. After 7-10 days, notice how you have been feeling.

5. If you are not sure if the chaos merchants really have any effect on you, do the above steps for 7-10 days. And then go back and read the newspapers, watch the news and listen to disturbing people for a few days. Notice how you feel now.
Bubbalo
The Lizzard
+541|6559

ATG wrote:

Would Palestinians blow themselves up in Israel if they weren't constantly being told how evil the Israelis are?
I don't think it's the news telling them that.  I think it's the whole being oppressed thing going on.'

ATG wrote:

Would CameronPoe give two rips about either of them?
If he's anything like me, then yes, yes he would.

ATG wrote:

Would George Bush be viewed as the buffoon if it wasn't drummed into our heads everyday?
If a tree falls in the forest and no-one hears it and no-one sees it did it really fall?  Yes.  And you can see the effects.
Bubbalo
The Lizzard
+541|6559

san4 wrote:

L. Ron Hubbard agrees with you
And Hitler felt that we should do all we can to combat evil.  Was he wrong?

Not that I agree with ATG, of course (I wouldn't want to hurt his feelings ).
Reciprocity
+721|6579|the dank(super) side of Oregon
that's why the only TV news i watch is The Daily Show and Colbert Report.  I usually check the internets a few times a day and listen to NPR to and from work.  This gives me most of the info I need, and the daily show and colbert make it bearable.
san4
The Mas
+311|6686|NYC, a place to live

Bubbalo wrote:

san4 wrote:

L. Ron Hubbard agrees with you
And Hitler felt that we should do all we can to combat evil.  Was he wrong?

Not that I agree with ATG, of course (I wouldn't want to hurt his feelings ).
My post wasn't an attack, just noting a funny coincidence. I actually agree with Messrs. ATG and Hubbard, avoiding news can significantly reduce a person's anxiety level.
.:XDR:.PureFodder
+105|6827

ATG wrote:

Code:

Rant on:
http://i17.tinypic.com/2regqip.jpg

I've had an epinphany.
Listening to the news is depressing me.

Nothing but how our government is doing nothing about the border. More dead Americans in Iraq. Mortgage crisis. Global warming doom. Bird Flu. Toxic waste, and on and on without end.

So my question;
Supposed we all just stopped watching.

Would Palestinians blow themselves up in Israel if they weren't constantly being told how evil the Israelis are? Would CameronPoe give two rips about either of them? Would George Bush be viewed as the buffoon if it wasn't drummed into our heads everyday? Would Al Gore be the yapping dog?

Would I be freaking out about Mexicans? Getting an ulcer over the economy?

What, seriously, would be the benefits or disadvantages to life without instant news?

Many people have branded me a hopeless partisan here. Perhaps I just like to write. Either way, to perhaps the end of DST, let us join in together and stop watching the news. The world will be a happier, and perhaps more peaceful place.
Imagine...

I seriously intend to print up bumper stickers and make this my new mission in life. Here's the original;
http://i17.tinypic.com/33o66c4.jpg

Code:

Rant off
http://thedailydump.blogspot.com/2005/08/this-just-in-news-is-depressing.html
The world won't be a more peaceful place, it'll just seem a more peaceful place to you.
velocitychaos
+26|6494|Brisbane Australia
Most if not all news is embedded with concepts based in fear, a spin if you will to keep an elemental sense that all is not well with the world, thus keeping the watchers/believers slightly afraid.
Having adopted a belief that is based in fear the watcher/believer will to some small degree become more and more afraid the more they watch and the more they believe.
And as it is well known to many people, the most manipulatable person is a scared person.

I say watch, by all means, just choose to not be afraid....you always have the power of choice.

Or you could just allow your life to be consumed by playing BF2........speaking of which...
konfusion
mostly afk
+480|6548|CH/BR - in UK

Uhm - about the Palestinians: Yes, yes they would. They'd continue suicide bombing in Israel until they got THEIR land back. The news isn't telling them Israelis are evil - they believe it because Israel took most of their land, and now want to force them out completely.
Furthermore, if you don't want to face the truth, fine. I agree with Bubbalo. I care. Just because we don't hear about it through the news doesn't mean it won't happen.
Furthermore, Mexicans do the jobs Americans won't. They're helping your economy.
And finally: The democracy you have going on would fail. If no one knows what's going on, how are they supposed to know what to vote for, who to vote for, and what their president is doing.

-konfusion
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6714
Ignorance is bliss.
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
klassekock
Proud Born Loser
+68|6584|Sweden
I haven't had a TV for two years. You guys have no idea howw good that has turned out for me. Since i'm still living alone i won't get one in the near future, but maybe later when i get wife and kids.

The downside with this is that i have no idea to keep up when my frinds start discussing the latest TV-shows or soap documentarys. Not that i'm really interested, but it makes me feel a bit stupid and strange. I imagine some of you might find me strange, so flame on if you feel a need for it.

The benefits are that i actually believe i have raised my intelligence since my TV broke down. Now i have to choose what media to get my news from. I'm not constantly being feeded with meaningless crap 24/7. I read more books and newspapers. And the best part is, i spend more time really talking to friends and family. In short i must say that after my TV broke i'm a happier person
ATG
Banned
+5,233|6527|Global Command

klassekock wrote:

I haven't had a TV for two years. You guys have no idea howw good that has turned out for me. Since i'm still living alone i won't get one in the near future, but maybe later when i get wife and kids.

The downside with this is that i have no idea to keep up when my frinds start discussing the latest TV-shows or soap documentarys. Not that i'm really interested, but it makes me feel a bit stupid and strange. I imagine some of you might find me strange, so flame on if you feel a need for it.

The benefits are that i actually believe i have raised my intelligence since my TV broke down. Now i have to choose what media to get my news from. I'm not constantly being feeded with meaningless crap 24/7. I read more books and newspapers. And the best part is, i spend more time really talking to friends and family. In short i must say that after my TV broke i'm a happier person
Television was the easiest thing for me to ditch.
As far as I'm concerned I have 300 channels of shit.
JahManRed
wank
+646|6626|IRELAND

Ok, I went with you and didn't watch the news at all today.

I only have 4 channels and much to my womans annoyance will not allow that Murdock's Sky pish near my house. Can't get digital because I am behind a mountain.

TV is ok, if used right. I only turn it when I know something worth watching is on. BBC and Channel 4 news are quite good. Channel 4 and BBC make excellent documentaries.
300 channels is just sick, I bet you just flick from 1-300, then start again............
Masques
Black Panzer Party
+184|6720|Eastern PA
I get all my news via smoke signals.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard