ATG
Banned
+5,233|6543|Global Command
Blame the guy who wrote the graphic novel that it was based on.

I liked it. The violence was a bit over-hyped and cartoony.

I give the four squirting stumps, or a torso with a head.

Besides, if I understand history correctly: the Persians dudes father was Darius who was defeated by Alexander the Grape Great. Darius was a Persian with a penchant for conquest and domination.

The Battle depicted in the Movie actually is documented in some histories to have actually happened.

Last edited by ATG (2007-03-18 11:48:48)

splixx
ChupaCABRA
+53|6753|Omaha, Nebraska
Not a bad movie...."MOVIE".

I did feel sorry for the people that had to remake those damn arrows.

Last edited by splixx (2007-03-18 11:52:56)

Bertster7
Confused Pothead
+1,101|6596|SE London

<SS>SonderKommando wrote:

Not to mention that the graphic novel was written well before the war in Iraq.
The graphic novel was also based on the film The 300 Spartans, which is full of propaganda about Greece being free and the Persians all being slaves - utter nonsense, but hey, it's Hollywood.

Don't have a go at 300 for the propaganda, it's all the fault of the original film.
Bertster7
Confused Pothead
+1,101|6596|SE London

ATG wrote:

Besides, if I understand history correctly: the Persians dudes father was Darius who was defeated by Alexander the Grape Great. Darius was a Persian with a penchant for conquest and domination.

The Battle depicted in the Movie actually is documented in some histories to have actually happened.
You've got your history a bit wrong I'm afraid, different Darius.

Xerxes was the son of Darius the Great. Alexander defeated Darius III around 150 years later.
ATG
Banned
+5,233|6543|Global Command
Ah crap, I knew I should have researched before writing that.

You know what they say, cannabis fogs the brain.
Bertster7
Confused Pothead
+1,101|6596|SE London

ATG wrote:

Ah crap, I knew I should have researched before writing that.

You know what they say, cannabis fogs the brain.
I know that feeling.

(but I've just finished a book about Persian history so it was fresh in my mind)

Last edited by Bertster7 (2007-03-18 12:14:46)

Mr.Pieeater
+116|6639|Cherry Pie
Hollywood very rarely makes movies in support of the war in Iraq, so I strongly doubt that they are sending the message.  I saw a special on this on The Discovery Channel and the movie is very accurate with what happened.  If you hated that "messasge" you should have walked out for sure.  I'm guessing you must love anti-Bush stuff since you seem to be complaining about fighting for freedom messages in this movie...
Sheen1101
+12|6634
Part One:

Part Two:

Part Three:

Here's a history lesson for everyone about Sparta
Des.Kmal
+917|6632|Atlanta, Georgia, USA

Dezerteagal5 wrote:

CommieChipmunk wrote:

I know that there are other topics about this movie.  But they all praised it.  I disliked it... a lot.

Personally, I thought it was shit, and I want my $8.50 back.

*kinda spoilers, but not really*

If you want to watch nationalistic propaganda hidden within violence, sex and nipples, I certainly would recommend this movie to you.  If not, stay clear.

Did no one else catch the blatant nationalistic bullshit in this movie?  Call me crazy, but the whole damn movie screamed it.  They even said "freedom is not free" and something about how it must be paid for in blood.  ffs.

The only plot that I could find hidden in the aforementioned characteristics, was a bunch of "heros" defending their homeland and their "freedom" from a bunch of Arabian-looking Persians lacking morals and freedom.  White heros defending their homeland and their freedom from Arabian warlords, does that ring any bells?  I've never felt inclined to leave a movie theater before, but I nearly got up and left.  The only thing that kept me in my seat was trouble that would be caused by walking in front of the gawking morons next to me and the slight chance of seeing more nipples.

Feel free to disagree, but that is the last time I will ever pay to watch propaganda.  Hurray war films with a hidden agenda, your filth has cost me eight dollars, fifty cents, and roughly two hours of my life.
Wow. Stfu.
You make a big deal out of nothing. You act as if "Fighting for homeland" and "Freedom costing blood" werent around before the War in Iraq?? Wtf are you smoking. No matter what logic you imply, freedom is never free, and you should always fight for your homeland.
win +1
Add me on Origin for Battlefield 4 fun: DesKmal
SuperSlowYo
slow as you go
+124|6574|Canaduhhh.. West Toast
i left this comment in one of the other 6 billion threads about this movie.. i dont understand why the mods keep leting this movie get so many threads...

"hmmm wasnt all that impressed.. the cgi blood just kinda disapeared which was silly i need pools of blood for entertainment.. waaaay to much of a lame love story involved.. seeing him tell that hunchback to hit the road was so obviously goin to be the downfall it wasnt even funny.. and that Persian King was HORRIBLE, nice synthesizer voice maybe he should do a duet with Cher, all 10 feet tall in gold speedos.. i have countless complaints about this movie but im just a hater... violence wasnt near graphic enough considering the hype they gave it.. once again hollywood fails me"   the concept of greeks being free and persians being an army of slaves was odd i mean the greeks had countless slaves (just not in the army)..
Bertster7
Confused Pothead
+1,101|6596|SE London

Mr.Pieeater wrote:

Hollywood very rarely makes movies in support of the war in Iraq, so I strongly doubt that they are sending the message.  I saw a special on this on The Discovery Channel and the movie is very accurate with what happened.  If you hated that "messasge" you should have walked out for sure.  I'm guessing you must love anti-Bush stuff since you seem to be complaining about fighting for freedom messages in this movie...
It isn't very accurate from what I've heard.

I haven't seen the film yet, and I'm looking forward to it, but I hacve read the comics and seen the original 300 Spartans film it was based on. From that it is clear that the film isn't very accurate, especially as far as the themes of freedom are concerned. Slavery was rife in Greece and illegal in Persia (since the reign of Cyrus).

The whole freedom thing is just made up by Hollywood (not Frank Miller but Maté back in '62). It's been done time and time again.

Last edited by Bertster7 (2007-03-18 13:20:00)

Drakef
Cheeseburger Logicist
+117|6376|Vancouver

Fenix14 wrote:

They were Arab looking Persians because Persians Were Arabs, Iran was Persia in anchent times. And it was (^as said above in posts) a dramatised comic style movie by frank miller.

Get a History Book and never go see a movie again, ever.
Persians, the people who inhabit Iran, are actually not Arabs. They are, in fact, Persians.

Is it truly so difficult to believe that it could have some context as to political beliefs of our era? Frank Miller is a noted Republican. While the movie is indeed a dramatized version of the Battle of Thermopylae, could we not suppose that there might be some underlying message? There is no denying history, but an analogous subtext may be possible.
vedds
+52|6769|Christchurch New Zealand

vedds wrote:

You will see whatever subtext you are looking for.

Its a great story from antiquity, adapted for drama, if there were no hero/villain it would make for a shit story. Exactly the same goes for the story told from the Persian perspective, we are going out to kick the shit out of a numerically insignificant force, thats an engrossing subject for a feature film.

You tell me how you could make that movie  so its entertaining without having some crackpot conspiracy theorist be able to clutch at straws and find/manufacture the evil brainwashing if they look hard enough?
So commiechipmunk, I saw that you are quite good at scathing and patronising retorts that dont actually address the point, but im still waiting for you to answer this....
TerrorisT²
Melbourne Shuffler
+214|6640|Gold Coast, Australia
I gotta write a 10min speech on the control Hollywood has. Its gay, they made it due right in between all the tests, and we got a week to write it.

Another movie that may ring some bells on this subject is "Pearl Harbor"
Bertster7
Confused Pothead
+1,101|6596|SE London

vedds wrote:

vedds wrote:

Its a great story from antiquity, adapted for drama, if there were no hero/villain it would make for a shit story. Exactly the same goes for the story told from the Persian perspective, we are going out to kick the shit out of a numerically insignificant force, thats an engrossing subject for a feature film.

You tell me how you could make that movie  so its entertaining without having some crackpot conspiracy theorist be able to clutch at straws and find/manufacture the evil brainwashing if they look hard enough?
So commiechipmunk, I saw that you are quite good at scathing and patronising retorts that dont actually address the point, but im still waiting for you to answer this....
The point is the made up themes of freedom and slavery are just untrue. The Persians could just as easily have been portrayed accurately and the story would have held up equally well.

Although I should stress that all of this leads back to the original 300 Spartans film which is what inspired Miller to write the comic adaptation that inspired this film. Blame cannot be placed on the producers of this film for producing propaganda/pandering to idiots.
rambo_killin_SOB
bunny hopping nade spammer
+61|6526
I think $8.50 to see this movie is very reasonablewas. Was one of the best movies i have seen in a while.  300 is one of few movies that i will actually buy the dvd.
r2zoo
Knowledge is power, guard it well
+126|6610|Michigan, USA
You guys are going off on some tirade over a work of historically based fiction

Not to say the battle didn't happen, only to say thats parts of the movie were quite ficticious.

Last edited by r2zoo (2007-03-18 15:27:52)

JaggedPanther
+61|6488

Bertster7 wrote:

vedds wrote:

vedds wrote:

The point is the made up themes of freedom and slavery are just untrue. The Persians could just as easily have been portrayed accurately and the story would have held up equally well.

Although I should stress that all of this leads back to the original 300 Spartans film which is what inspired Miller to write the comic adaptation that inspired this film. Blame cannot be placed on the producers of this film for producing propaganda/pandering to idiots.
QFT
CommieChipmunk
+488|6584|Portland, OR, USA

vedds wrote:

vedds wrote:

awesome, I was just pointing out something that I noticed.  I'm sure most of it was just because I was looking to deep into a movie obviously lacking any depth.

I never said anything about any conspiracy, because it's not a conspiracy, it's a known fact that the media/hollywood uses their popularity among the masses to construct a degree of control.
[F7F7]KiNG_KaDaFFHi
Why walk when you can dance?
+77|6602|sWEEDen
Bong in progress, requesting friendly fire!
Marinejuana
local
+415|6599|Seattle
yes the film parallels most right wing ideology. yes the movie is full of gay imagery. but until somebody actually has information about the movies funding, or the individuals that made the movie, it would be very difficult for anybody here to make the argument that the movie was intended to be gay propaganda.
CommieChipmunk
+488|6584|Portland, OR, USA

Marinejuana wrote:

yes the film parallels most right wing ideology. yes the movie is full of gay imagery. but until somebody actually has information about the movies funding, or the individuals that made the movie, it would be very difficult for anybody here to make the argument that the movie was intended to be gay propaganda.
Yup.
TheunforgivenII
+12|6296
Damn people it's just a movie, a movie is a movie. If you don't like a movie you saw you don't have to tell the whole world. Plus the movie is telling a story about the Persian Empire trying to conquer Greece and Sparta along with allies of Greece trying to defend their country from invasion. Plus if you guys payed any attention in history class about Greek history this battle happened which was called the Battle of Thermopylae. The word Thermopylae in Greek means hot gates. If you've seen the movie, they say that in the movie like 3 times. Also when they said "Freedom isn't free, it must be paid for in blood" It's saying that freedom isn't free, they had to fight to earn that freedom. It's like saying you can't get grades you have to earn them by working a studying hard. And when CommieChipmunk said "Arabian-looking Persians" umm....dude the Persian Empire stretched from present day Turkey, Egypt, Iraq, Iran and in Northern India. So pretty much most of the mid-east, that's why....so stupid. Also whoever said that they hated this movie "300", but saw the movie "Sin City" and liked it your friggin' ass. It's the same director and this is how this director does movies he's famous on doing realism and animation together in his movie. I still don't know why some people are comparing this movie to what is happening right now, this happened like 2,500 years just to let everybody know. Some of you guys should watch the youtube video that one person just posted up, learn some history.
Ender2309
has joined the GOP
+470|6585|USA

CommieChipmunk wrote:

I know that there are other topics about this movie.  But they all praised it.  I disliked it... a lot.

Personally, I thought it was shit, and I want my $8.50 back.

*kinda spoilers, but not really*

If you want to watch nationalistic propaganda hidden within violence, sex and nipples, I certainly would recommend this movie to you.  If not, stay clear.

Did no one else catch the blatant nationalistic bullshit in this movie?  Call me crazy, but the whole damn movie screamed it.  They even said "freedom is not free" and something about how it must be paid for in blood.  ffs.

The only plot that I could find hidden in the aforementioned characteristics, was a bunch of "heros" defending their homeland and their "freedom" from a bunch of Arabian-looking Persians lacking morals and freedom.  White heros defending their homeland and their freedom from Arabian warlords, does that ring any bells?  I've never felt inclined to leave a movie theater before, but I nearly got up and left.  The only thing that kept me in my seat was trouble that would be caused by walking in front of the gawking morons next to me and the slight chance of seeing more nipples.

Feel free to disagree, but that is the last time I will ever pay to watch propaganda.  Hurray war films with a hidden agenda, your filth has cost me eight dollars, fifty cents, and roughly two hours of my life.
the only problem i see with your synopsis is that this was a true story, and the movie stuck to the actual happenings pretty fantastically.
Scorpion0x17
can detect anyone's visible post count...
+691|6780|Cambridge (UK)
"Objective" - ROFL!

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard