BudRell
+2|6846|Home
The ONLY way to get BF2 and BF2:SF work together is this:

If you do have BF2 installed, with or without updates, then uninstall it. Then do the three installations mentioned below.

1. Install BF2
2. Install BF2:SF
3. Install 1.12 update

I tried MANY times with different ways and found very weird things...

One weirdo was that if you had BF2 and updates installed first and you install BF2:SF, you get a second PUNKBUSTER folder...so you will for sure have troubles with PB updates.

The tehcnical help at EA also says what I have listed above BUT they give that only as a last hope.
That is the ONLY way to install BF2 and expansion ! If you try to install some other way I guarantee you will get useless folders that will do harm when trying to connect game servers.
Depending HOW you do the installation of updates and BF2:SF, you get different errors either for BF2 or BF2:SF.

I didn't quite find out why those folders are created and which folders will be created on different procedures but they will be created. Something to do with install prog itself...
RDMC_old
+0|6745|Almere, Holland

BudRell wrote:

The ONLY way to get BF2 and BF2:SF work together is this:

If you do have BF2 installed, with or without updates, then uninstall it. Then do the three installations mentioned below.

1. Install BF2
2. Install BF2:SF
3. Install 1.12 update

I tried MANY times with different ways and found very weird things...

One weirdo was that if you had BF2 and updates installed first and you install BF2:SF, you get a second PUNKBUSTER folder...so you will for sure have troubles with PB updates.

The tehcnical help at EA also says what I have listed above BUT they give that only as a last hope.
That is the ONLY way to install BF2 and expansion ! If you try to install some other way I guarantee you will get useless folders that will do harm when trying to connect game servers.
Depending HOW you do the installation of updates and BF2:SF, you get different errors either for BF2 or BF2:SF.

I didn't quite find out why those folders are created and which folders will be created on different procedures but they will be created. Something to do with install prog itself...
Thanks for the information.. but it looks obvious to me that u first need to use BF2.. is also states that u need to have Bf2 installed before you can play SF.. so installing SF.. then after looks logical.. and patching is always done after installing the game.. so was but still for the people that don't know this.. then it is good that u posted this 
BudRell
+2|6846|Home
Well, I discussed this matter with some of my friends here and they had tried all "tricks" but this obvious way. And they had all read the EA "technical solution"....
That basically was the trigger to write again..

P.S. you wrote that patching is always done afterwards...it was NOT that clear on this case. The expansion updated the game (BF2 with update!) with OLDER update...
So the message was: Install ONLY game and expansion first. Not like game then update then expansion then update. <---that will not work even if EA states so.

Last edited by BudRell (2005-12-05 10:06:25)

thinner44
+1|6818
http://forums.bf2s.com/viewtopic.php?id=6275  .This is the original email from EA UK. It also includes a couple of handy programs to delete files from the registry and a cd verify program. ...oh, and it worked first time

Last edited by thinner44 (2005-12-05 10:11:37)

notorious
Nay vee, bay bee.
+1,396|6756|The United Center
wait, so what exactly does this solve?

i'm not trying to be an asshole, but i have SF and it seems to run just fine.
Sweetmate
+1|6760
Nonsense. My current installation is BF2 1.0, then 1.03 Patch, then 1.12 patch, then BF2:SF (and 1.10 patch) then 1.12 patch.

I have one PB folder and my games work absolutely fine.
thinner44
+1|6818

ThomasMorgan wrote:

wait, so what exactly does this solve?

i'm not trying to be an asshole, but i have SF and it seems to run just fine.
If you don't have a problem, then there's nothing to solve . seriously, it's great that the vast majority of players have upgraded and bought SF and everything's just fine, it is only a minority that have had problems, and all we're doing is posting a possible solution
thinner44
+1|6818

Sweetmate wrote:

Nonsense. My current installation is BF2 1.0, then 1.03 Patch, then 1.12 patch, then BF2:SF (and 1.10 patch) then 1.12 patch.

I have one PB folder and my games work absolutely fine.
So what's 'nonsense'. Is the original poster trying to help those that need additional information.... You obviously don't so why are you here.... it is the 'help' section. As far as I'm concerened, BudRell is posting correct and verified information which correlates with the information I received from EA UK.

*We are only giving additional information to those that require it*

Last edited by thinner44 (2005-12-05 11:28:38)

dshak
+4|6822
funny,

I definitely didn't do it this way and never had a single problem. I think it all just varies depending on the machine your installing it on. I even believe this is true for in game bugs... why else would I have NEVER seen the infamous red name glitch with over 300 hours played???
nalta
+0|6729

BudRell wrote:

So the message was: Install ONLY game and expansion first. Not like game then update then expansion then update. <---that will not work even if EA states so.
it does work, thats exactly what i did -- installed patch 1.12, bought sf some days later, installed it, patched again and everything was fine.
BudRell
+2|6846|Home

nalta wrote:

BudRell wrote:

it does work, thats exactly what i did -- installed patch 1.12, bought sf some days later, installed it, patched again and everything was fine.
Yes, it MIGHT go well on your setup.
That DO NOT work for all...that was the point. If EA gives info on such matter, they should give it the way it ABSOLUTELY suits all.
First time I tried it the same way.
I had BF2+1.12 update installed. Then I installed SF. After that the update (1.12) again. It did not work.
The only way to get the system work right at 1st try, is to install BF2, BF2:SF and then 1.12 upd. This will 100% work for all...if there's no hardware problem or faulty CD:s.

dshak wrote:

I think it all just varies depending on the machine your installing it on
Yes. It really matters what kind of hardware you have. Especially what 3D-accelerator you have. But it should not have any effect on installation. It will have effect when you start the game 1st time.

P.S. thinner44: Yes, that looks like right advice from EA. I saw it 1st time now
Why haven't they put that in "technical help" ????

Last edited by BudRell (2005-12-06 02:22:27)

thinner44
+1|6818

BudRell wrote:

P.S. thinner44: Yes, that looks like right advice from EA. I saw it 1st time now
I'm not sure, except the guy I was speaking to said they were having lots of problems and he would give me the definitive repair... plus the little extras . I don't know about you BudRell, but do you ever get the feeling some people just don't want help . My original post in my thread was attacked by an idiot ... I keep saying this is the 'help' section, but I don't think it gets through to them
BudRell
+2|6846|Home

thinner44 wrote:

I don't know about you BudRell, but do you ever get the feeling some people just don't want help . My original post in my thread was attacked by an idiot ... I keep saying this is the 'help' section, but I don't think it gets through to them
..just guess ...

But this is usual on every site.
Once (on another forum..) I started to write a guide about "correct and tested tweaks for RTCW and ET" because several players wanted to get exact commands and combinations they could use.
Well..fortunately I posted the 1st part of guide (really short ) and almost same time came the 1st comment : "Blaah..everybody knows these...etc." , so I had no reason to publish the guide
I wrote it and posted it only to some who needed it.

Thumbs up to those who atleast try to help.
thinner44
+1|6818

BudRell wrote:

Thumbs up to those who atleast try to help.
Agreed
theseb099
+0|6829
well i have bf2 then 1.03 then  1.12 then i got sf installed and patched again and it works fine
theseb099
+0|6829
well i have bf2 then 1.03 then  1.12 then i got sf installed and patched again and it works fine
Buffnuggles
+11|6741|The Hague, Netherlands

theseb099 wrote:

I did it the same way like above and all works fine here.
Maybe it depence on the config of the computer your using: videocard, cpu, windows version?????

I really don't have a clou.
Buffnuggles
+11|6741|The Hague, Netherlands

theseb099 wrote:

I did it the same way like above and all works fine here.
Maybe it depence on the config of the computer your using: videocard, cpu, windows version?????

I really don't have a clou.
savu
+0|6821

thinner44 wrote:

BudRell wrote:

I'm not sure, except the guy I was speaking to said they were having lots of problems and he would give me the definitive repair... plus the little extras . I don't know about you BudRell, but do you ever get the feeling some people just don't want help . My original post in my thread was attacked by an idiot ... I keep saying this is the 'help' section, but I don't think it gets through to them
ur right...why come to whine to help section if u already know what u get!? im really gratefull to those who have try to help me out...guys like u. damn i still cant install SF...i have try sooooooo many tricks that im gonna wait till i need to format my HD...i mean that how help forum can run if ppls dont bother to reply???i really hate ppls who think "i got mine working,screw others!". DONT THINK THAT " well maybe i should not reply cos its so simple(or some like that)". u can save some1 day,week or month!who knows!!
Scorpion0x17
can detect anyone's visible post count...
+691|6775|Cambridge (UK)

BudRell wrote:

Yes it will - I installed the update before I got SF, then just reinstalled it after I got SF installed - all works perfectly fine thankyou muchly...
thinner44
+1|6818

Scorpion0x17 wrote:

BudRell wrote:

Yes it will - I installed the update before I got SF, then just reinstalled it after I got SF installed - all works perfectly fine thankyou muchly...
Did you miss this bit or are you just being difficult

nalta wrote:
BudRell wrote:

Yes, it MIGHT go well on your setup.
That DO NOT work for all...that was the point. If EA gives info on such matter, they should give it the way it ABSOLUTELY suits all.

As we've said earlier, we're looking for a definitive repair/restore. If you've done it a different way and it works, then post your own solution for others to try.... you will after all be contributing to the help section, and who knows, you may be right

Last edited by thinner44 (2005-12-08 00:54:57)

thinner44
+1|6818

savu wrote:

damn i still cant install SF...i have try sooooooo many tricks that im gonna wait till i need to format my HD
Savu, cheers for the support . As for your installation problem, keep looking through the bf2SF section, there's plenty of good help on here. Hope it all goes well

Last edited by thinner44 (2005-12-08 00:54:20)

BudRell
+2|6846|Home
Some more info to this subject. I wrote earlier that I succeeded to install the expansion and the way I did it. Well, seems not to be exactly so.

I have been able to play both, BF2 and SF, but yesterday I got same problem again ! Only once.
The same warning about wrong version popped up when I tried to join some server. Well, I tried another server instantly and no warning...I was able to play...

Logically thinking this error should have something to do with server side. In any case, this error is weird...
thinner44
+1|6818

BudRell wrote:

Some more info to this subject. I wrote earlier that I succeeded to install the expansion and the way I did it. Well, seems not to be exactly so.

I have been able to play both, BF2 and SF, but yesterday I got same problem again ! Only once.
The same warning about wrong version popped up when I tried to join some server. Well, I tried another server instantly and no warning...I was able to play...

Logically thinking this error should have something to do with server side. In any case, this error is weird...
A few other people were complaining about this problems earlier in the week, so hopefully it is a server problem and with any luck it won't affect you again

So far so good here, I've had the odd kicks and loss of connection, but nothing serious. Most maps are totally lag free and it would be fair to say, nearly all of the gameplay has been very smooth.

I did tinker with a lot of settings and found that my original 'medium settings' to be the best, even set the audio setting to medium.
BudRell
+2|6846|Home
Grrrrr...this is odd. Now 4/5 of connections ends to that "wrong version"  >

This starts to be really weird and annoying

EDIT: ...and now I can't connect any server....WHAT THE FUCK IS WRONG....

And look at this

http://koti.mbnet.fi/kingbolt/pbnot.jpg

HOW THE FUCK IS THIS POSSIBLE ? Suddenly I have no PB installed...FUCK THIS CRAP...

Last edited by BudRell (2005-12-10 17:04:01)

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard