IG-Calibre
comhalta
+226|6743|Tír Eoghan, Tuaisceart Éireann
Well it's the eve before the historic elections here at home, will the movement of the people to the polls in the morning  end finally 800 years of direct British involvement in on our island? will we all stand or fall together? I thought I would share a little of the political propaganda in the run up to the election to give you all an insight in to our wee island

Vote early & vote often!!

Last edited by IG-Calibre (2007-03-06 14:23:04)

UGADawgs
+13|6321|South Carolina, US
How much will these elections directly impact the nationalist (or conversely, the Unionist) cause?
IG-Calibre
comhalta
remains to be seen..
CameronPoe
+2,925|6556
Sinn Féin's party political broadcast is pretty weak. Gerry seriously needs to take some Gaeilge lessons.

Last edited by CameronPoe (2007-03-06 14:35:05)

ghettoperson
+1,943|6650

Cam, (and the majority of the Irish) do you like Gerry Adams?
Lost Hope
Lurker
+20|6327|Brussels, Belgium
I haven't watched all of the videos but what is the worst possibility ? I'd think it's Paisley.

And what would be the best pick ?
https://bf3s.com/sigs/9c9f8f6ff3579a4c711aa54bbb9e928ec0786003.png
CameronPoe
+2,925|6556

ghettoperson wrote:

Personally yes - but then he does have a holiday home less than a kilometre from my house (up home in Donegal) and I see him out and about quite often when I'm there and one of my brothers is on friendly terms with him (first names). And I am a staunch Republican.  I admire him as a really really great politician - he really is a great mind and a very good debater and strategic thinker. From the British perspective you should be thankful for his efforts - he was behind the whole 'armalite and the ballot box' policy, the first stepping stone towards dragging Republicans away from terrorism. Without his efforts, there would certianly not be the relative peace there is currently in the six counties. He was the one who responded to clandestine British government feelers sent out to make contact with the IRA - the beginning of the peace process.

Some Irish dislike him because he's a marxist and I'd tend to agree with them on that point.

Last edited by CameronPoe (2007-03-06 14:48:55)

CameronPoe
+2,925|6556

Lost Hope wrote:

I haven't watched all of the videos but what is the worst possibility ? I'd think it's Paisley.

And what would be the best pick ?
I wish Paisley would just hurry up and die. He really is just holding up the show.
IG-Calibre
comhalta
Aye interesting times we live in, It's not apparent yet what move the DUP will pull or what's the new hoop they expect Nationalists/Republicans to jump through before the executive can be established, what is clear though, should it fail? that's it, the end. Also a hell of a lot of power will be handed to Dublin, they stand to lose more should it fail & tbh I reckon the British are getting fed up with them as well.  Hopefully after this "term" it will be the end of Paisley, at least Robinson his deputy is supposedly more a pragmatist should he ever lead the DUP.
JahManRed
wank
+646|6628|IRELAND

ghettoperson wrote:

I like they guy. He managed to get us to were we are now, were as if he was the Nationalist version of Ian Paisley he would be shouting NO NO NO to power sharing as its not a united Ireland. Its all about concessions, something Paisley is not capable off. It is however a step forward for Ireland and their is only so many times Paisley can say no before he is taken out of the loop.

Spot light last night had the leader of each of the four main parties here on to be questioned openly by the public in a debate. Unsurprisingly some of the audience were quite hostile to Jerry Adams and it didn't matter what he said, you could see the blood boiling in these people, their one chance to throw the same old tired shit from the past back up in his face.
Notably, as usual, Ian Paisley didn't make himself available. He never does. He never opens himself up to questioning as his supporters might see a kink in his armour and for a second not believe that he is some kind of god whom they must follow unquestionably. (He started his own church, political party and for a time Armed organisation-the red caps) Paisleys unwillingness to open himself and his backward policies up for debate to the public shows him for the Holly than now elevated old school Unionist he is. Not on a par with the people.
I was impressed with how Reg Empy (UUP) conducted himself and the way he drew empathise on Paisley's U-Turn on sitting down with Sinn Fein. Paisley used many battle cries to take the majority Unionist vote, one of which was calling any unionist who sits in government with Sinn Fein a "traitor", something he is about to do himself.
Hopefully the Unionist people will see Paisley for what he is and split the unionist vote between the DUP, UUP and that nutter Mc Cartneys break away No to the St Andrews Agreement, Party. I deal extensively with politicians through my job and to be honest, on bread and butter Issue, like Planning, I find the SDLP and the DUP the most proactive in my area. I have met Paisley a few times over planning issues. I would have voted SDLP but on this occasion I voted for Sinn Fein. Why? Because there is a real chance of Martin Mc Guinness becoming First minister. Although that could throw a spanner in the works........ even though First and deputy first ministers have the same power, there is not a snow balls chance in hell that Paisley will be deputy to an Ex IRA commander............and we will possibly be back to square one. That is what it all is about for the DUP, posturing and shit talk to secure the more staunch unionist vote, then bending and changing their mandate when they get into power. This may work in nationalists favour.
Hopefully though the British and Irish governments will say fuck you Paisley and go ahead anyway.
usmarine2007
Banned
+374|6368|Columbus, Ohio
I am told it is all white men.  Is this true?
deeznutz1245
Connecticut: our chimps are stealin yo' faces.
+483|6493|Connecticut

CameronPoe wrote:

I am a staunch Republican.
Come again?
Malloy must go
IG-Calibre
comhalta

usmarine2007 wrote:

I am told it is all white men.  Is this true?
I can honestly say we do don't have a single Black politician, we have a Chinese woman in the Alliance party, and that's about the height of it..
IG-Calibre
comhalta

deeznutz1245 wrote:

CameronPoe wrote:

Come again?
LOL!! I can see how that would confuse you.. Poe is a Republican in the classical sense of the term
CameronPoe
+2,925|6556

deeznutz1245 wrote:

CameronPoe wrote:

Come again?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irish_Republicanism
deeznutz1245
Connecticut: our chimps are stealin yo' faces.
+483|6493|Connecticut

CameronPoe wrote:

deeznutz1245 wrote:

CameronPoe wrote:

Come again?
So your like William Wallace with ear muffs?
Malloy must go
CameronPoe
+2,925|6556

deeznutz1245 wrote:

CameronPoe wrote:

deeznutz1245 wrote:

Come again?
So your like William Wallace with ear muffs?
Pretty much. lol
ghettoperson
+1,943|6650

CameronPoe wrote:

ghettoperson wrote:

Personally yes - but then he does have a holiday home less than a kilometre from my house (up home in Donegal) and I see him out and about quite often when I'm there and one of my brothers is on friendly terms with him (first names). And I am a staunch Republican.  I admire him as a really really great politician - he really is a great mind and a very good debater and strategic thinker. From the British perspective you should be thankful for his efforts - he was behind the whole 'armalite and the ballot box' policy, the first stepping stone towards dragging Republicans away from terrorism. Without his efforts, there would certianly not be the relative peace there is currently in the six counties. He was the one who responded to clandestine British government feelers sent out to make contact with the IRA - the beginning of the peace process.

Some Irish dislike him because he's a marxist and I'd tend to agree with them on that point.
Interesting to hear that, he never seems to be painted in a particularly good light whenever I see him on the news over here, which tend to dwell a lot on that he's associated with the IRA. I can't say I know a lot about him or his policies. I have heard from other sources that he has being doing a lot to help with the peace process, but again, he always seems to be talked about as if he controls the IRA, so it's hard to judge from the news what kind of a politician he is.
Lost Hope
Lurker
+20|6327|Brussels, Belgium
Well, I just watched the news on Euronews and they were quite kind with Adams.

They talked about how he worked on the peace process and the disarming of the IRA.
https://bf3s.com/sigs/9c9f8f6ff3579a4c711aa54bbb9e928ec0786003.png
aardfrith
Δ > x > ¥
+145|6793

IG-Calibre wrote:

Well it's the eve before the historic elections here at home, will the movement of the people to the polls in the morning  end finally 800 years of direct British involvement in on our island? will we all stand or fall together? I thought I would share a little of the political propaganda in the run up to the election to give you all an insight in to our wee island

Vote early & vote often!!
I'm sorry but I don't see it happening, or rather it won't last and I think the weak link, the one that's going to break the system is the Reverend Ian Paisley.  I just don't see him working with the Republicans.

There have been previous elections.  The NI Assembly has sat before.  It didn't work and NIO stepped (back) in to administer the country.

I really hope I'm wrong about this, I will cross every finger in hope but I think it's future is doomed, at least in this incarnation.
JahManRed
wank
+646|6628|IRELAND

https://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/northern_ireland/default.stm

19 To the shinners
17 DUP.

After hearings Paisley on the TV today shouting about how they have broke Sinn Fein IRA and how he won't sit down with them puts pay to any hope I had for this this working. Why the fuck did he call an election?

Last edited by JahManRed (2007-03-08 13:37:39)

stkhoplite
Banned
+564|6480|Sheffield-England
I think we should somehow drag ireland over the seas to go hang with hawaii   would you like that irish people?
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6772|PNW

CameronPoe wrote:

deeznutz1245 wrote:

CameronPoe wrote:

Come again?
I was about to take your statement out of context, you know, for fun, but I was beat to the punch.
IG-Calibre
comhalta

JahManRed wrote:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/ … efault.stm

19 To the shinners
17 DUP.

After hearings Paisley on the TV today shouting about how they have broke Sinn Fein IRA and how he won't sit down with them puts pay to any hope I had for this this working. Why the fuck did he call an election?
Aye noticed him back slabbering about Sinn Fein/IRA this evening, I guess he's pretty buoyed by wiping the floor with both the UUP & Bob Mc Cartney's UKUP, he's now saying that he has been given a Unionist veto; even though they have only polled about 30% of the vote - by my reckoning that's 70% in favour of devolution (last time I went to school)  - now we will see the sectarian Bigotry, devolved government on the 26th? aye right.

Did you hear when he said "McGuinness needs to convert into a Democrat before I can talk to him" I thought for half a second he was going to say McGuiness would need to convert into a Protestant before he would talk to him.. lol..

Edit: I also heard some chat about neither the SDLP or UUP taking any ministerial positions but instead forming an opposition (given they are both centerist partys) along with the Alliance, would be an interesting twist to the proceedings don't you think?  though very unlikely i'd imagine..

Last edited by IG-Calibre (2007-03-08 16:19:50)

IG-Calibre
comhalta
BOOM THERE IT IS!!   - Same oul fucking rubbish as predicted - the DUP refusing to share power and get the Assembly up and running on the March 26th deadline, oh, but wait. they will share power in May, aye right.  I guess they need 6 weeks to come up with some other fudge to refuse to share power. When the likes of McCrae, Dodds, and Campbell saying publically that they will never ever share power with Republicans.

The British government must see this latest loyalist ploy for what it is - the loyalist paramilitaries are still racketeering, peddling their drugs & have never decommissioned a bullet or weapon, and the politicans are doing everything they can to insure Catholics/Republicans have no voice in government - fact of the matter is Loyalists are now the sole scourge of this country.  Grow some balls and tear down Stormont, sack the whole lot of them, cause they make a mockery of democracy.  fully implement the good Friday agreement, initiate joint administration of the North by both the British and Irish governments, enough of this bullshit allready. Punish them by letting them watch the decisions that they should of been making, being made by others in Dáil Éireann (Irish Republic parliment)

The DUP has agreed to share power in May - if the government will agree to push back the deadline for six weeks.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/northern_ireland/6491769.stm

Last edited by IG-Calibre (2007-03-24 12:29:29)

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard