Roomba
You will pay the price for your lack of vision.
+26|6462|Land of Cotton
This is in comparison to the vanilla. OK. Do they?

I was a gunner on the Russian side in Ghost Town and the thing lacked any finesse. I think the spawn point was the 'north building' or something like that.  It was the left of the map looking from the top down.  The TV missile was limited in its point-of-view before the missile was launched. I know you have to be lined up for the most part. It seemed much worse in that chopper.

To boot, we kept getting shot down by something like the Linebacker (I think). I hinted to the pilot about his flares but he either was unable to launch them or had no clue how to launch them. It seemed that I'd hear the 'beep beep' targeting alert for a micro second and BOOM! We were probably noobs fresh for the pickin' and it's no big deal. I just noticed a lower amount of time we were airborne compared to vanilla. It was probably serious ownage.

Let's hear it.
Surgeons
U shud proabbly f off u fat prik
+3,097|6459|Gogledd Cymru

yep they are more sluggish, rockets from pilot does more damage though, tving sucks tbh

id even rather have a havok tham any of those sf chopers
=MCHD= arush5268d
+46|6471|Houston, TX
The apache is amazing in SF
Scratch[USA]
+105|6517
Russian side and spawn is the Hind.  Some call it a cow because the movements are completely different than any other copter in BF.  Do they suck?  NO.  Your pilot sucked.
NooBesT
Pizzahitler
+873|6439

Defeniatley not. Gunners place is rubbish but as pilot you can dominate if you know what you are doing.
https://i.imgur.com/S9bg2.png
-=raska=-
Canada's French Frog
+123|6595|Quebec city, Canada
Apache : best chopper in bf2 vanilla and sf included, incredibly maneuverable and turns on a dime. Rockets close to the body so its easier to take down enemy choppers and tanks. However its main rotor is weaker than the one on the hind, but the tail rotor is stronger so rotation is easier.

Hind : Uber strong main rotor : you can tilt the chopper at 45 degrees and it wont lose altitude, but at the other hand, the helicopter is pretty sensible to "lateral tilting" so it will tend to strafe. Its tail rotor is pretty weak, and doesnt allow for quick rotation and this is the reason why people hate it. Rockets are far from the body so there are inacurate.

globally, hydra rockets on sf attack chopper have a much wider splash damage than the ones on vanilla, but they are not stronger against tanks.

Tv view is the same but the camera is lowered, obligating the pilot to rise the nose a bit more than on vanilla.

finally, the hind sucks but it is a lot fun to solo with it on ghost town. The apache owns, nuff said.

edit : you have to keep in mind that the hind, in real life, is an attack/transport chopper, but the developers only kept his disadvantages of being what it is in real life, and they didnt keep the transport feature.

Last edited by -=raska=- (2007-03-02 10:57:50)

steelie34
pub hero!
+603|6351|the land of bourbon

=MCHD= arush5268d wrote:

The apache is amazing in SF
agreed... that thing makes rocket runs so easy they get boring.  u have to learn where the gunner view is as well.  it's lower than the pilot view, so lining up TVs is a bit different in those helis.  I don't really care for the Hind's lack of maneuverability, but the apache's is unreal.  i usually let the SAS keep a flag on the north or south side so there is always an apache.  the hind is cool for raping the gator deck, as the spiral of death is very tight.
https://bf3s.com/sigs/36e1d9e36ae924048a933db90fb05bb247fe315e.png
silo1180
The Farewell Tour
+79|6392|San Antonio, TX
And anyone worth their salt in AA isn't going to give away their position until they are ready to take a shot.  I won't light a target until my STAs have re-loaded.  Then I'll keep the nose down until I can hear a chopper.  Then when I see it I'll light it up, hit them with the gun and let them waste their flares.  Once the flares are away, I'll move the nose to get lock back on the chopper and fire, fire, fire, fire. 

silo1180 [Linebacker/Tunguska] Roomba

Might not matter how good the pilot is, especially on a map like that where it's small and there are a lot of buildings for you to have to move around.  You can see that heli-pad from where the Tunguska spawns, so you can pretty much light the chopper up as soon as someone gets in it on the pad.
steelie34
pub hero!

silo1180 wrote:

And anyone worth their salt in AA isn't going to give away their position until they are ready to take a shot.  I won't light a target until my STAs have re-loaded.  Then I'll keep the nose down until I can hear a chopper.  Then when I see it I'll light it up, hit them with the gun and let them waste their flares.  Once the flares are away, I'll move the nose to get lock back on the chopper and fire, fire, fire, fire. 

silo1180 [Linebacker/Tunguska] Roomba

Might not matter how good the pilot is, especially on a map like that where it's small and there are a lot of buildings for you to have to move around.  You can see that heli-pad from where the Tunguska spawns, so you can pretty much light the chopper up as soon as someone gets in it on the pad.
a good pilot makes all the difference... go ahead and camp in your AA vehicle, and wait until u get lit up from behind.  also, if you fire your cannon at me, a nice TV missle will be headed in your direction before u can even get a re-lock

steelie34 [apache longbow] silo1180

Last edited by steelie34 (2007-03-02 11:04:46)

BluRR33
+27|6357|Sweden
Ofmg!!   the Helos in SF  = AMAZING power     They have a Huge  Damage
scottomus0
Teh forum ghey!
+172|6607|Wigan. Manchester. England.
The SAS is so easy to control compared to the other.

I prefer it than any other in vanilla too.
killa_karnickl
Plöt aba Madurah
+34|6413|Austria - Graz
They suck hard. The TV missile heads right into the ground. U have to pitch up like a dork to fire it straight!!
Sux more if u are alone!
steelie34
pub hero!

killa_karnickl wrote:

They suck hard. The TV missile heads right into the ground. U have to pitch up like a dork to fire it straight!!
Sux more if u are alone!
soloing is a bit harder, but u just have to get a little higher than your target... i find it easier to hit ground targets in the SF helis.  the only thing that really hurts those choppers is the crappy view distance in SF
Scratch[USA]
+105|6517
A strange thing about the hind TV view is that 1.) it is lower than the Vanilla copters and 2.) from the pilots perspective it is centered to the right side (the nose) of the copter.  So if the pilot has the enemy in the center of their screen, the gunners tv view shows the enemy slightly to the left.  Not much of a difference maker, I just thought it was interesting.
terrafirma
Press 1 to Kill
+81|6624|Westminster, Colorado
Here is a good page for those interested in how to line up the tv missiles on the SF choppers:

http://www.secretsofbattlefield.com/sfheli.php

You'll notice that the TV lines up below the gunner's box on both the Apache and the Hind.  However you need to aim a little left of the target with the Hind as it is off center.

SF choppers with a good gunner/pilot can dominate.  The Apache is fantastic at quick attacks, but cannot recover very fast if you get it tilted too far sidways while circling a point.  The Hind is best used in the "Death Spin".
Lieutenant_Jensen
Your cops are corrupt.
+200|6361|fåking denmark
Well , I'm good at piloting , but suck in killing in a chopper , but don't think it's any worse .
JaggedPanther
+61|6444
I find it easier to gun and pilot SF choppers. 

Except on Ghosttown, there is AA on alot of buildings and UCB, then there is mobile AA. And in that small amount of space....

I just don't chopper on that map as it 's a fun infantry map, specially as sniper
Smithereener
+138|6286|California
The reason (I think) that some people think that Choppers such in SF is because of the map size itself. In BF2, the maps were somewhat large, allowing more room for escape from AA whereas in SF, maps are much much smaller, restricting the chopper's ability to evade more easily.

The dumb rocket's splash damage has increased drastically that you can easily solo and get decent scores without ever switching to gunner position.
Flaming_Maniac
prince of insufficient light
+2,490|6677|67.222.138.85
The Apache is the best ground-rape chopper in the game, and only behind the cobra and maybe Z-10 slightly in the air superiority department. Hind does suck nuts though at anything but strafing.
Roomba
You will pay the price for your lack of vision.
+26|6462|Land of Cotton
Wow. That was a lot of really good feedback from ya'll. I probably need a lot more practice. I'm still a novice. I cut my teeth on the Desert Mods of BF1942. It seemed much harder in that game than the BF2 series. I like the choppers over the aircraft. For the most part, I have really liked BF2 and SF. I will have to try harder.

I have rebuilt my computer and am installing the 1.41 patch as I type. Oops. I almost selected Thai as the language. That would have made things very interesting.

Thanks again for your input.
Fenix14
scout rush kekeke ^___^
+116|6527|Brisbane, Aus

As said above, if you've got a good pilot you can easily dominate a match, and definatly Win it for your team.

The trick i found is to go gentle on the power, don't go full all the time, especially if you want to Whore out a base with your gunner. the SF choppers straff at a dime so you can go side to side or in circles easily (if you go in circles i've found you can raise up easily for a TV missle

Some of the best chopper dogfighting happens on SF too, especially on Iron gator. It can be great fun.
Ender2309
has joined the GOP
+470|6541|USA

steelie34 wrote:

killa_karnickl wrote:

Sux more if u are alone!
soloing is a bit harder, but u just have to get a little higher than your target... i find it easier to hit ground targets in the SF helis.  the only thing that really hurts those choppers is the crappy view distance in SF
funny thing is, the one and only chopper i've ever soloed i've done in the hind.
JaggedPanther
+61|6444

Flaming_Maniac wrote:

The Apache is the best ground-rape chopper in the game, and only behind the cobra and maybe Z-10 slightly in the air superiority department. Hind does suck nuts though at anything but strafing.
Hind gunner position is where I got my kill streak. You just have to anticipate the pilot doing the circle of death, the circle of squeeze etc and not lose focus
Darkhelmet
cereal killer
+233|6720|the middle of nowhere
I love them the same, if not more.
UnknownRanger
Squirrels, natures little speedbump.
+610|6315|Cali
NO! They are teh perfect.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard