aardfrith
Δ > x > ¥
+145|6793
Apparently the New York city council has decided to ban the word "nigger".  It'll be interesting to see how this stacks up with the First Amendment to the US Constitution, which amongst other things, is supposed to have enshrined the freedom of speech.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/6406625.stm

EDIT: would the person who reported this topic being offensive please contact me to discuss it sensibly.

Last edited by aardfrith (2007-03-01 08:34:27)

Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6717

aardfrith wrote:

Apparently the New York city council has decided to ban the word "nigger".  It'll be interesting to see how this stacks up with the First Amendment to the US Constitution, which amongst other things, is supposed to have enshrined the freedom of speech.

Freedom of speech doesn't give you the right to say anything... Freedom of speech is allowed only if is not insulting anyone. But why don't they ban all racial slurs as well?
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
heggs
Spamalamadingdong
+581|6389|New York

cyborg_ninja-117 wrote:

aardfrith wrote:

Freedom of speech doesn't give you the right to say anything... Freedom of speech is allowed only if is not insulting anyone. But why don't they ban all racial slurs as well?
Good point, if you're going to ban one slur, might as well ban them all.
Remember Me As A Time Of Day
aardfrith
Δ > x > ¥
+145|6793

cyborg_ninja-117 wrote:

aardfrith wrote:

For a word to be a racial slur, it has to be used in context that defines it as such.  Just as "gay" could be a slur on someone's sexuality but it could equally be used in other respects.  To ban a word outright, that's denying freedom of choice of language, i.e. freedom of speech.
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6717

aardfrith wrote:

cyborg_ninja-117 wrote:

aardfrith wrote:

For a word to be a racial slur, it has to be used in context that defines it as such.  Just as "gay" could be a slur on someone's sexuality but it could equally be used in other respects.  To ban a word outright, that's denying freedom of choice of language, i.e. freedom of speech.
I agree banning on it is too harsh, but I blame rap music. Black people can call white people anything they want and no one can do anything about it, then when a white guy says nigger, he gets sued or more possibly, shot.
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
EVieira
+105|6479|Lutenblaag, Molvania

aardfrith wrote:

cyborg_ninja-117 wrote:

aardfrith wrote:

I don't think "nigger" can be used in any way besides referring to a persons race in a pejorative way. Correct me if I'm wrong. Negro, on the other hand, is a different word.
"All truths are easy to understand once they are discovered;  the point is to discover them."
Galileo Galilei  (1564-1642)
ShowMeTheMonkey
+125|6703
Will they ban "pig-skin"?
chittydog
less busy
+586|6836|Kubra, Damn it!

EVieira wrote:

aardfrith wrote:

cyborg_ninja-117 wrote:

I don't think "nigger" can be used in any way besides referring to a persons race in a pejorative way. Correct me if I'm wrong. Negro, on the other hand, is a different word.
It can be used as a term of friendship, but the context in which you do so is beyond me and I wouldn't try it. It has something to do with using an "a" at the end rather than an "er". Personally, I think the word's history is vile, but in the long run, it's just a freaking word. Freedom of speech includes the freedom to be rude and disgusting if you want. Unfortunately, people exercise their right to be an asshole far too often.
krazed
Admiral of the Bathtub
+619|6781|Great Brown North
why ban just one slur? :\ seems kind of one sided to me >.<  then again most racism debates are around here

(meaning in my area, not the forum, sorry :\)

Last edited by krazed (2007-03-01 08:34:55)

Pug
UR father's brother's nephew's former roommate
+652|6543|Texas - Bigger than France
Ahh New York, the most conservative city in America.  What will they do next?
RasorX
+17|6744|Indianapolis
First off, it's a non-binding resolution.  Which essentially means, it has no meaning.   It's kinda like telling your parents when you're a teenager "Yeah, i promise i wont drink at the party."  10 Zima's later you're trying to figure out how to sneak back into your house.

So nothing is "banned".

The point of the resolution is that intellectually the politicians of New York felt the word nigger has no place in our society, which i agree with.  The word was born out of hatred and oppression, changing it's meaning to mean "close friend" doesn't change it's origins.
JahManRed
wank
+646|6629|IRELAND

I take offence to being called a mick. I demand it be banned!!!
Seriously though, its is a horrible word, but its impossible to police such a ban. Its is an erosion of your freedom of speech also, even though it is offensive.
King_County_Downy
shitfaced
+2,791|6598|Seattle

Are you guys talking about a piece of wood that sits on a cotton gin? They banned it from being used? Wow, I guess we're really moving towards plastics and newer technology. kewl
Sober enough to know what I'm doing, drunk enough to really enjoy doing it
cpt.fass1
The Cap'n Can Make it Hap'n
+329|6697|NJ

cyborg_ninja-117 wrote:

aardfrith wrote:

cyborg_ninja-117 wrote:

I agree banning on it is too harsh, but I blame rap music. Black people can call white people anything they want and no one can do anything about it, then when a white guy says nigger, he gets sued or more possibly, shot.
Good point on that, if the word is "Banned" what are they going to do with the million of rap CD's that are shipped in a month?  They can't actually ban something then do absolutely nothing, they say it's symbolizm but it's opening a gateway to Government controled speech..

Next thing you know it will be a terrorist action to speak out against certain government things.. It's a very scary "fake law" they just passed.. It's what I"ll call a gateway law..
Agent_Dung_Bomb
+302|6737|Salt Lake City

I think they should ban all language, and we should develop mental telepathy.
CC-Marley
+407|6829

aardfrith wrote:

EDIT: would the person who reported this topic being offensive please contact me to discuss it sensibly.
All those rappers are gonna have to find a new word to use.
Mekstizzle
WALKER
+3,611|6622|London, England
Alright, Nigger is banned. What about nigga?
Stingray24
Proud member of the vast right-wing conspiracy
+1,060|6446|The Land of Scott Walker
People find ways to be insulted about the littlest things, so “not insulting” can’t be the working definition of free speech.  I understand what you’re saying and we would have a much nicer society if we banned certain words, but the erosion of free speech has to be avoided at all cost.
topal63
. . .
+533|6719

King_County_Downy wrote:

Are you guys talking about a piece of wood that sits on a cotton gin? They banned it from being used? Wow, I guess we're really moving towards plastics and newer technology. kewl
I have heard this expression before: "there's a n----- in the wood pile" is that related [to above]?

Last edited by topal63 (2007-03-01 10:29:32)

Elamdri
The New Johnnie Cochran
+134|6647|Peoria
Words that incite hate and violence can be banned.
topal63
. . .
+533|6719

Elamdri wrote:

Words that incite hate and violence can be banned.
No they can't... that sets a precedence. Anything can be offensive... to someone else: Words, speech, satire,  remember the Danish cartoon?
iamangry
+59|6646|The United States of America

RasorX wrote:

First off, it's a non-binding resolution.  Which essentially means, it has no meaning.   It's kinda like telling your parents when you're a teenager "Yeah, i promise i wont drink at the party."  10 Zima's later you're trying to figure out how to sneak back into your house.

So nothing is "banned".

The point of the resolution is that intellectually the politicians of New York felt the word nigger has no place in our society, which i agree with.  The word was born out of hatred and oppression, changing it's meaning to mean "close friend" doesn't change it's origins.
you drink Zima???? Gross!
Volatile
+252|6705|Sextupling in Empire

Why provide a link to the article? Nobody here ever fucking reads.

BBC NEWS wrote:

The resolution to ban the so-called "N-word" is largely symbolic as it carries no weight in law and those who use the word would face no punishment.
This means nothing to the public.
liquix
+51|6455|Peoples Republic of Portland
I must admit, being a white man I get called "Cracker" in just about every conversation I have with black people. I have not once used the term "Nigger" towards any black person. Besides, banning it isn't the solution I don't think. Its not a solution, its focusing on the problem.
Megalomaniac
Formerly known as Missionless
+92|6328|105 RVK
Ye at last, it was so annoying seeing they cant say f*** or sh*** on TV but Nigger would never be censored.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard