Vilham
Say wat!?
+580|6784|UK

Fenix14 wrote:

they just removed most backward compatability from the PS3 before they release it here in Aus.

i stand by my 360
they didnt.. all they have done is change it from hardware that runs its backwards compatibility to software that emulates.
Ilocano
buuuurrrrrrppppp.......
+341|6685

Hyper_Dude wrote:

One thing I hate about the consoles, is how everyone chooses one over the other and just won't listen. I love it how people don't think what they include, or don't for that matter. The Wii isn't really classed as next-gen, its more gameplay over power and in an odd way, i like it. The 360 and ps3 are almost the same give or take, but the ps3 is cheaper in the long term

Playstation 3, 60GB HardDrive, built in wireless, blu-ray drive - £425
Playstation Network - Free

Xbox 360 Premium, 20GB HardDrive - £280
Xbox 360 HD-DVD drive - £130
Xbox 360 Wireless Adaptor - £60
Xbox Live for 1 year - £35

So for an Xbox 360 which is the same in term of specs as the PS3, it costs £500, alot more for the older console?

Sony have said the RRP for games are £39.99, Xbox 360 is £49.99... yeah that makes sense!

People just shun the PS3 for the cost, the Xbox 360 costs more IF you buy the extras, otherwise you've got nothing but a console, not a media center like the PS3
20GB vs. 60GB.  Moot point, since for gaming, you won't use them up.  Besides, both allow for external HD's.
XBOX LIVE > Playstation Network.  Good luck finding Playstation online hosts for older games a year from now.
Wireless network.  Not needed.  Wireless introduces major latency/lag.  Not good for online gaming.

Only difference is HD-DVD versus Blu-Ray.  Format war still ongoing.

But for pricing in general, you Europe folks are screwed big time.  With my TRU AMEX Wishlist Coupon last January, PS3 60GB for $450. and 360 Premium for $200.

Last edited by Ilocano (2007-03-01 10:12:41)

Vilham
Say wat!?
+580|6784|UK

PhaxeNor wrote:

£59.99 is for europe so far as I know.. Reason: http://www.scee.presscentre.com/Content … wsAreaID=2
lol.. that link says 59.99 EUROS! There is a huge difference.
Snake
Missing, Presumed Dead
+1,046|6584|England

After the '64, I said fuck it with consoles.

I have an original PS, but I have to say that the games on it (as well as PS2) are shocking in comparison to the '64.
Vilham
Say wat!?
+580|6784|UK

Zimmer wrote:

P00R_M3 wrote:

Not quite right....

The 60 Gb Premium Edition is actually £425. For that you get the most powerfull console and a Blue Ray HD drive, which in it's own right would probably cost most of the £425. This is not just a games console, it's a serious piece of hardware.
I'm sure the price will put a lot of people off, but hardcore gamers will just live with it (I have pre-ordered mine and 3 games for launch)
No. It is a gaming console. Nothing more. Not a serious piece of hardware, not a place where I can install adobe photoshop and paint away. It IS a gaming console, nothing more, nothing less. It just may be more powerful than the 360, that still does not indicate that it is in any way better.
The 360 has all the best games coming out for it, except Metal Gear.
Thats where you are wrong, you can install a linux operating system which then allows you to install programs similar to PC ones on the system and run them through linux.
SGT_Squirtle
+13|6734
last console I used regularly was the Sega Genesis... since then I've only put money into the one gaming machine that makes any sense, My PC!
Ilocano
buuuurrrrrrppppp.......
+341|6685

SGT_Squirtle wrote:

last console I used regularly was the Sega Genesis... since then I've only put money into the one gaming machine that makes any sense, My PC!
But Fighting and Sporting games are much better on Consoles.  SmackDown vs. Raw 2007.  NBA 2K7.
Zimmer
Un Moderador
+1,688|6774|Scotland

Vilham wrote:

Zimmer wrote:

P00R_M3 wrote:

Not quite right....

The 60 Gb Premium Edition is actually £425. For that you get the most powerfull console and a Blue Ray HD drive, which in it's own right would probably cost most of the £425. This is not just a games console, it's a serious piece of hardware.
I'm sure the price will put a lot of people off, but hardcore gamers will just live with it (I have pre-ordered mine and 3 games for launch)
No. It is a gaming console. Nothing more. Not a serious piece of hardware, not a place where I can install adobe photoshop and paint away. It IS a gaming console, nothing more, nothing less. It just may be more powerful than the 360, that still does not indicate that it is in any way better.
Thats where you are wrong, you can install a linux operating system which then allows you to install programs similar to PC ones on the system and run them through linux.
So? For that I have my computer. Yeah, the cell is capable of programming itself and devloping while you are playing a game, so that you never play the same part twice. That is a good thing. But I lost faith in Sony a while back. Although I am surely not saying that I have faith in Microsoft. I don't. I just prefer the selection of games. And of course, the pricing.
LaidBackNinja
Pony Slaystation
+343|6727|Charlie One Alpha

Zimmer wrote:

That's exactly what troubles me... I WANT Metal Gear Solid 4 desperately... but I also want Halo 3 and Alan Wake and Halo Wars and all that other stuff which is on the 360... shit.
"If you want a vision of the future, imagine SecuROM slapping your face with its dick -- forever." -George Orwell
A12345
+77|6488

LaidBackNinja wrote:

Zimmer wrote:

That's exactly what troubles me... I WANT Metal Gear Solid 4 desperately... but I also want Halo 3 and Alan Wake and Halo Wars and all that other stuff which is on the 360... shit.
im in the same boat as this guy, i follow the console that has my games metal gear 4 and tekken, so im holding off on buying the cheaper version of the PS3 since both arent out, or maybe just wait till they drop price

Last edited by A12345 (2007-03-01 10:53:04)

Spidery_Yoda
+399|6288
I dont care for the PS3. Its too expensive and the European version has crippled backwards compatability, as well as costing $200 more than the US version. Thankfully i had no intention of buying one, but if i did, i would be very unhappy just now. As it is i can just laugh about it .

And as for the Wii, i was more excited about that than the PS3 & 360. Right up until they told me that it would only be £20 than a 360 and the games would cost the same as the 360 (and PS3 now, GG Sony).

So much for 'cheap affordable console' that they've said themselves is a 'cleverly packaged gamecube'. Incidentally, i can pick up a new GC for £20.

So Wii = Biggest Rip off i've seen in ages + lack of any really good games so far = Lost interest almost completely.

The 360 is beginning to interest me now.
Hyper_Dude
+5|6841|United Knigdom
One thing I find amusing is the people that respond to a thread about a console, is that they are rubbish in some form and that the PC is better. For a piece of hardware which can be updated constantly will make the PC more powerful instantly. If the technology is there for a console, in theory it will be there for a PC. But still, how does that make the PC better than a console?

One thing I love about my PS2 or my Wii is that it's a constant framerate, and I know that when i buy the disc, it will look it's best throughout. With a PC, everyone gets a different experiance, and it's all based of the size of your pockets. If I buy a console game, it will work. If I buy a PC game, despite the specs being the same, or even greater, it doesn't mean it will work. Crash to Desktops anyone?

Honestly how many times have you had a PC crash on you in some form, and compare that to a console.

I won't deny that PC gaming is "better", there's so much more potential for it with mods and even patching, which we all love. Patches are something that consoles have only just started to do over the past 2-3 years, but there's still no mods sadly. I just don't understand how you can compare them!

As for the backward compatibility issue for the PS3, how much will it honestly affect you? The only PS1 games i play on my PS2 are classic mulitplayers, such as Micro Machines V3. What PS2 games will you actually play? I would take a guess with some of the larger names, which will work. Sony have annouced that on launch it should be over 1000 games supported, and they are concentrating on the "Big" games and will add more with updates.
r'Eeee
That's how I roll, BITCH!
+311|6466

Hyper_dude your a star +1 agree in every aspect!
Vilham
Say wat!?
+580|6784|UK
Just for your info....

PS3 has NOT changed backwards compatibility all that has changed is from hardware emulation to software emulation.
d3v1ldr1v3r13
Satan's disciple on Earth.
+160|6703|Hell's prison
PS3 FTW.
Currently:
NFS: Carbon
Resistance:FOM
Call of Duty 3
Vitrua Fighter

Point?  Loving every minute of it, no regrets.

PS2 backwards compatibility.  Played all Metal Gears, Mortal Kombat Armageddon, all GTA games, and Bully.  Not even a hiccup.

Last edited by d3v1ldr1v3r13 (2007-03-01 19:18:13)

Hurricane
Banned
+1,153|6649|Washington, DC

PS3 is fucking expensive, but Gran Turismo 5 and MGS4 look so damn nice. So does BF Bad Company.
CreepingCharlie
+2|6564
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R98qC0fd_1w
Ilocano
buuuurrrrrrppppp.......
+341|6685

Hyper_Dude wrote:

One thing I love about my PS2 or my Wii is that it's a constant framerate, and I know that when i buy the disc, it will look it's best throughout. With a PC, everyone gets a different experiance, and it's all based of the size of your pockets. If I buy a console game, it will work.
It all comes down to how well the game is programmed.  On a console, inefficient programming means all consoles suffer.  On certain scenes, every console lags.  Every console suffers frame rate issues.  If on a PC,  someone with a deep enough pocket could overcome this issue.  Or the next gen GPU/CPU will overcome it, all for the same game you bought.  To overcome this on the console, you will have to buy the next gen console and the next gen game.  Look at BF:Modern Combat.  That console game can't handle 64 players.  Gears of War can't handle more than 8 players.  Halo 2 is limited as well.  The console looks it's best because things are sacrificed that would not be on the PC.
SonderKommando
Eat, Lift, Grow, Repeat....
+564|6678|The darkside of Denver
Well MGS4 is not a Sony exclusive yet. They have yet to fork over the dough for exclusivity. Konami is going to want to make a profit on their game, I'm sure development costs for MGS4 are astronomically high. The fact is the 360 has and will continue to have a much larger installed base of users and that will result in it coming to the xbox. Heed my words MGS4 will come to 360, may not simultaneously.. but it will happen. You could spend your money on a PS3, no doubt it is indeed powerful. But i can promise you the majority of quality games and multi-player experiences will be found on the Xbox360.

*edit spelling.

Last edited by <SS>SonderKommando (2007-03-01 20:06:19)

Fenix14
scout rush kekeke ^___^
+116|6575|Brisbane, Aus

CreepingCharlie wrote:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R98qC0fd_1w
+1 lmao @ the carboard PS3 taped onto a 360
PunisherX
+0|6419
actually i've played lost planet and crack down and they suck balls, gears of war was alright but i beat that game in like one hour. 360 is alright but if you have a computer why bother buying a 360 its basically a computer without a monitor. The PS3 is way better period
Ilocano
buuuurrrrrrppppp.......
+341|6685

PunisherX wrote:

actually i've played lost planet and crack down and they suck balls, gears of war was alright but i beat that game in like one hour. 360 is alright but if you have a computer why bother buying a 360 its basically a computer without a monitor. The PS3 is way better period
LOL.  You just failed your debate essay.  So, how is the PS3 better?  What current games in particular make it better than the 360?
Spidery_Yoda
+399|6288

Vilham wrote:

Just for your info....

PS3 has NOT changed backwards compatibility all that has changed is from hardware emulation to software emulation.
Err actually Sony themselves have said that nowhere near as many games will work on the PAL PS3 as do on the NSTC PS3, precisely because they're taking out the PS2 chips and trying to emulate with software instead.

So it has changed its backwards compatability.
Bertster7
Confused Pothead
+1,101|6600|SE London

Vilham wrote:

Just for your info....

That's a big change.
PunisherX
+0|6419

Ilocano wrote:

PunisherX wrote:

LOL.  You just failed your debate essay.  So, how is the PS3 better?  What current games in particular make it better than the 360?
It doesnt matter what games there are for the PS3, the PS3 is just better overall

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard