Slayer
---hates you
+1,137|6754|Hell, p.o box 666

Ok you ArmA haters or whatever, here it comes.

My ArmA multiplayer review (part 2). Result= ArmA>BF series

I´ve joined a swizz coop server running custom maps. When I´ve connected there 16/60 guys were online.

The mission took place in the island called sahrani, the goal was to clear a enemy base at the town Masbete, an enemy airfield, a fuel station and three enemy AA (Shilka) sites.

The US force (players) started around thirdteen(!!!) kilometers away on a small airfield. The time was set around 16:30 and the weather was pretty sunny. Two pilots manned the Blackhawks, another one the little UH6 scout chopper. The UH6 picked me and two other Specialforces up so we can check the situation near masbete. Flying one minute and chatting with the rest of the squad about the plan, tactics etc etc. we arrived at the formerly discussed and on the map marked drop zone. Because the dropzone wasnt chosen too good,damn those Shilkas can fire for miles, we´ve bailed out and the UH6 returned to base for fuel, and repairs.

Our little three man squad had to run around one km before we´ve reached Masbete, just to see that there are two T72 tanks, loads of infantry and some BMPs. We´ve spotted a MI24 attack chopper there also, but it seemed abandoned so far.

Lying there in the gras, between the huge pines and oaks around us, we´ve just watched the enemy movement, spotted them etc etc. We´ve told the other via teamchat whats going on there, as good as we could tell and also agreed on a new dropzone for the choppers, wich was unreachable for the AA but also another kilometer away.

*5 minutes playtime, no frag*

The "commander" aka mapdesigner and admin suggested that our special forces squad should go for the first AA1 site, wich was two or three km´s south of our current position to make some space for the choppers, because the dropzone was too far in his opinion. The other infantry troops (meanwhile around 40 players) should clear the city and deal with the tanks etc there after the Blackhawks brought them to the dropzone. Two squads should pick trucks and Humvees to deal with AA2.

*10-15 minutes playtime, still no frag*

We´ve made our way to AA1 and I´ve spotted the Shilka, a AT site, a MG and some troops there, 500 mm away. Googles ftw. My squadleader assigned me to kill some infantry and the AT site. Been there, done so! I prowned in the gras and scooped my M4 Aimpoint for the enemy officer first. Bang, headshot. Reported via ingame command "Officer down", aimed for the machinegunner then. Those bastards returned fire. MG down. Cal. 50 bullets impacting near me, I ducked and took cover at a tree. Bam, I was hit, my hands are blood red and I cant run or stand anymore, but Im still alive.

*20 minutes playtime, 2 frags*

"one is down, I repeat one is down", damn it, the MG site got our squadleader. He respawn within 10 seconds in our mainbase, 10 kms away from our position. Fuck fuck fuck. The UH6 pilot told us that he will pick up him and three other guy in mainbase. Squadleader told us to continue attack on Shilka until eta. Well lying there wounded I couldnt do much than spotting enemies. I´ve tried to shoot some bots, but due to my injure my aim was pretty shitty. I´ve heard the UH6 chopper incoming, the Shilka fired tons of rounds in the sky. UH6 destroyed, pilot down, crew bailed. I´ve seen them in parachutes around 1000 m away from us. Squadleader, a medic and two AT soldiers finally arrived. The medic started to heal me immidiatley. I was good to go again. I ducked near my beloved tree, aimed and killed two enemy soldiers then. The medic gave me cover. The two AT guys flanked the shilka while the other Specops supressed the enemy forces. AT soldier one fired his LAW and hit the shilka at the turrent, the other AT soldier was already dead.

*25 minutes playtime, four frags*

I stand up and want to take cover at another tree, the medic followed me. Tak tak tak tak, enemy MG fire. Medic down, damn it, I´ve hit the dirt but too late. Im down too.

10 seconds later, respawn in mainbase. The UH6 was destroyed so the pilot joined our Specops squad. He was busy picking ammo and explosives up at a crate near spawnpoint. I joined him. I switched my weapon to G36C, some C4 and a LAW with one rocket. Then we told one of the Blackhawk pilots that he should drop us near AA1 again. He picked up some other guys and moved to the city. Flying there, I could hear the BH miniguns firing at foot troops that came from the city to back up the Shilka at AA1. Damn. Me and the other SpecOps bailed out and luckyly landed not far away from our Squad, but the Shilka and the troops between us. We´ve landed in a small forest and sneaked forward heading for the damn Shilka. The enemy troops didnt recognize us at all, dunno why. The other guy told our SL that we´re going to C4 the Shilka. I proned slowly forward, the shilka only 15 m infront of me, no enemy soldiers in my sight. Suddenly one of the Shilka crew bailed out, and I was, wooooooooow, fired my whole clip into his body. Luck. I placed one C4 at the shilka, wasnt sure if this will suffice but moved around 100 m away from it. Pulled the trigger and BADABOOM Shilka down!

*30 minutes playtime, seven frags*

"This is papa bear, AA1 is down, I repeat AA1 is down!" Yeah, good job Jens big_smile The enemy infantry around wasnt a problem at all then. We´ve gave them a two-three minutes firefight and none of us got killed.

We agreed on a meeting point and a new dropzone with the rest of the troops and the respawned guys in mainbase. One Blackhawk was shoot down in the meantime so we only had one Chopper up. The pilot did a great job, playing infantry taxi the whole time. After another five minutes the BH arrived at the meeting point and the guys in "cargo" joined us for the walk to Masbete city.

Walking there trough the woods, gras etc. we saw loads of dead corpses of our troops. Damn. Shortly after that one of us spotted a enemy squad on patrol. We opened fire, I killed a AT soldier and another one, then got shot down by a UAZ jeep hmm

*40-45 minutes, 9 frags*

So, this is it. The round lasted around 60 minutes more and we completed it with around 50 players in the end. I died 5 times, and made 17 kills including the Shilka and a T72 tank. The teamwork on this server was absolutley amazing, without teamspeak or voicechat I must add! The server filled up after this, and the same map was loaded. Unfortunatley there were some noobs or idiots then who tkéd us, screwed the vehilces etc. so the admin kicked them and loaded a new map.

ArmA is no game like BF2 or BF2142, not even similar. If you dont work as team, there will be no fun and no success at all! There are no respawn for tanks, cars, choppers, jets etc etc. so those vehicles are precious and shouldnt be handed to some idiots. The good thing is, if you play for example machinegunner, you cant even enter a choppers pilot seat. Damn how often have I thought about this in BF!

sry for crappy english
superfly_cox
soup fly mod
+717|6779

sweet review.
Gillenator
Evils Bammed Sex Machine
+129|6393|Evilsville
Gonna buy this game!
max
Vela Incident
+1,652|6565|NYC / Hamburg

maybe i should reinstall it. when i played it a couple of months ago it was pretty shit and so boring.
once upon a midnight dreary, while i pron surfed, weak and weary, over many a strange and spurious site of ' hot  xxx galore'. While i clicked my fav'rite bookmark, suddenly there came a warning, and my heart was filled with mourning, mourning for my dear amour, " 'Tis not possible!", i muttered, " give me back my free hardcore!"..... quoth the server, 404.
Slayer
---hates you

max wrote:

maybe i should reinstall it. when i played it a couple of months ago it was pretty shit and so boring.
yeah, singleplayer isnt that great and the first patch was EA/Dice style. There are still some buggy things in patch 1.02 but Im playing it since three weeks multiplayer now, and the above is my conclusion. I like it. I must admit, Im a former Operation Flashpoint map designer, so, go figure
Hallvard
+262|6520|North Norway

It's to slow IMO, but looks very interesting.. I guess it's a matter of personal preferences.

nice review
Slayer
---hates you

kmjnhb wrote:

It's to slow IMO, but looks very interesting.. I guess it's a matter of personal preferences.
ya, its slow, absolutley. Thats what I call realism Of course, if you´re out for some fast paced actions, this game is the wrong choice.
Gillenator
Evils Bammed Sex Machine
+129|6393|Evilsville
I actually like slow.
So this game should fit me then, right?
superfly_cox
soup fly mod
+717|6779

Gillenator wrote:

I actually like slow.
oh great, there he goes talking about sex again.  this guy's a machine!
^*AlphA*^
F*ckers
+3,135|6736|The Hague, Netherlands

superfly_cox wrote:

Gillenator wrote:

I actually like slow.
hmm that scares me,

Echo a Machine
Gilli a Machine

so... Im talking to machines all the time ?
https://bf3s.com/sigs/36eac2cb6af70a43508fd8d1c93d3201f4e23435.png
Gillenator
Evils Bammed Sex Machine
+129|6393|Evilsville

superfly_cox wrote:

Gillenator wrote:

I actually like slow.
Ace.O.Lamb
Got Lamb?
+56|6272|Outside your Back window
That game looks and sounds amazing, however i dont think my comp could handle it. BF2 is quite a fast paced, slightly unrealistic military game, its an evolved version of counter strike. There is teamwork but it is not organised 90% of the time. Also with BF2 if you have about 4 pricks on the game who want to ruin it, they will not be noticed much due to vehicle respawn ect.

Now AA sounds as though teamwork must be organised and well thought out, which i think sounds great. However unlike BF2 if 4 pricks join the server they can ruin the game for every1. Still I think AA could be alot better than BF2 for teamwork, realism, tatics and skill. I Cant wait to get a better comp and play it.
Slayer
---hates you

I´ve added my current systems in the 1st. post... ArmA is pretty hardware hungry
madmurre
I suspect something is amiss
+117|6708|Sweden
I´m a bit curious are there both bots along with "humans" playing? ( i sort off got that impression reading your review ) And since i´m an old Operation Flashpoint geek myself i might buy this game just to check it out, The no veichle respawn really sounds interesting.
Slayer
---hates you

There is a coop mode were you play with other "humans" against bots, and also a team (US vs. Russia) mode... Havent checked flag matches so far.
Ace.O.Lamb
Got Lamb?
+56|6272|Outside your Back window
You've made me curious about this game, so i've got a few questions.

What sort of PC will i need for this game, also how much would that PC cost lol?

What soldier classes can you get e.g. Sniper, assault ect.

Can you still pick up the enemies weapons?

How many players can play on one online game? I heard it was something like 100?
Slayer
---hates you

See 1st. post bottom line for hardware requierements. As you can see, the highend rigs have no probs at all, the average rig is doing good also. About the price, well a fat 1.000 is needed anyway

About the classes: you can play every kit you want. Squadleader, Teamleader, Soldier, AT, MG, Medic, Sniper, SpecOps, AA, Pilot, Crew, etc etc. there are plenty kits.

You can pickup every weapon and ride every vehilce you want (as long as the server hasnt forced locked vehicles).

The player limit is 65 atm. With the new patch there should be ~130. No ping issues so far on full servers.
ownership10
+9|6731
sorry i am totaly computer noob....can i run it with this comp, plz pm if possible with answer  thanks

ati radeon x300
pentium 4 2.8 ghz
512 of ram
Slayer
---hates you

ownership10 wrote:

sorry i am totaly computer noob....can i run it with this comp, plz pm if possible with answer  thanks

ati radeon x300
pentium 4 2.8 ghz
512 of ram
not at all, sry. Check your PM.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6770|PNW

I'd like ArmA better if some of the game-stopping bugs were addressed.

To Sl4y3r: Your sig says 'ArmA is definatley the better Battlefield! Imagine BF2 without idiots, swearing, tk´s for vehicle, glitches, exploits, gheymores.' Your review says that people joined a server and TK'd and screwed vehicles.

BF2's gameplay is more tolerant of idiocy, and therefore the servers are less anal-retentive.
Slayer
---hates you

yeah man, you are right... But this only happend once, on the server mentioned above. Now I´ve played this server in a regular base (if you will call three weeks regular ) and it never has happend again. So all in all, I´d say there are not as many idiots as in BF series.
B.Schuss
I'm back, baby... ( sort of )
+664|6839|Cologne, Germany

I have ArmA installed, but played it only briefly, and not for a couple of months. Seemed totally buggy to me, with shitty textures. But maybe the latest patch has fixed that. I shall give it another try.
Slayer
---hates you

The textures dont look to good, if you dont play in maxxed settings, which need a pretty though system

I dont know about the actuall patch as I´m playing too much LOTRO latley
B.Schuss
I'm back, baby... ( sort of )
+664|6839|Cologne, Germany

well, my system is far from being maxed out, unfortunately.

no Arma for me then
Dragonclaw
+186|6303|Florida
Why do game devs seem to think realism is snail pace gameplay with horrible movement. In ArmA it takes you like 5 minutes just to get your crosshair on one guy and you walk and run like an old lady. People dont walk that slow and it doesnt take a trained professional 5 minutes to get someone in his sights because of a box where the crosshair is like a mouse cursor on the slowest speed setting. They need to get realism right, in any "realistic" game so far its been a one shot your dead, you move like a 500 year old snail, actually getting someone in your sights is near impossible because of the terrible crosshair design in ArmA (at least americas army got that right), and the movement is really clunky and slow unlike how someone would ACTUALLY move. For all this, realism games suck ass because its not realism, its snail pace boring gameplay and unless you enjoy snail pace boring gameplay no realism game would appeal to you.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard