• Index » 
  • Community » 
  • Tech » 
  • Does a 320mb sli 8800gts beat or equal the 640mb version?
The#1Spot
+105|6552|byah
I heard that when nvidia used in sli the 2 cards utilize the bit rate as one and memory is just memory and dosent change anything. Correct me if im wrong all i really know that sli is the cheapest way to get mass performance for the money. Yes i have checked online for performance charts between the 2 and havent found any.

Last edited by The#1Spot (2007-02-19 17:52:13)

-=raska=-
Canada's French Frog
+123|6638|Quebec city, Canada
Id say that 2 8800gts 320 mb wil beat a single 640mb for the simple reason that you get 2 gpus
Ender2309
has joined the GOP
+470|6583|USA
pretty sure the 2 in SLI=win.
<BoTM>J_Aero
Qualified Expert
+62|6477|Melbourne - Home of Football
Try this article from THG which looks at all three of the 8800 Nvidia cards currently on the market and compares them.

http://www.tomshardware.com/2007/02/12/ … index.html
The#1Spot
+105|6552|byah
another factor the 320mb version runs much cooler making it run more efficient
GR34
+215|6557|ALBERTA> CANADA
Iam getting the 640Mb version and i knwo a few ways to keep a GPU cooler
CrazeD
+368|6685|Maine
More VRAM doesn't make it faster.

All the VRAM does is hold recently used textures/models so that you don't have to load them the next time you see them.

For example, if you're playing BF2 and are sitting on arty island in Wake, and you look at the carrier it is going to load those textures and models into the VRAM. If you then turn around and look at the opposite side, it will load those textures and models. So now if you turn around again and look back at the carrier, it will be faster than it was the first time because the textures/models are right there.

Having less VRAM just means it processes new textures/models a little bit slower, because it has to get them from the hard drive instead of the VRAM. You won't see a higher FPS, but you might have less FPS variation depending on the situation.
Drykill
I Like Waffles.
+47|6704|England
Slightly off topic but would the performance difference between 16x SLI and 8X SLI be noticeable as all the c2d boards I've found are 8x SLI.
Scorpion0x17
can detect anyone's visible post count...
+691|6778|Cambridge (UK)
OP: 2GPUs should be faster than one, almost whatever the amounts of vram, but the only way to be sure is to compare them in the same system - tomshardware would be a good place to start...

Drykill: if it's an 8x slot it will only run at 8x max, no matter what the card supports.
dalmar72
+6|6532
seeing as most of the tests that I've seen the 320MB version is pretty much as fast or faster than the 640MB version on resolutions of 1920X1200 or less, 2 in sli would definitely beat the 640 version.
RDMC
Enemy Wheelbarrow Spotted..!!
+736|6577|Area 51

The#1Spot wrote:

I heard that when nvidia used in sli the 2 cards utilize the bit rate as one and memory is just memory and dosent change anything. Correct me if im wrong all i really know that sli is the cheapest way to get mass performance for the money. Yes i have checked online for performance charts between the 2 and havent found any.
Off course because the work load is distributed across 2 GPU's. Now the screen is all done by one GPÚ. In SLI the screen is divided, One row is done by GPU 1 and the row of pixels underneath is done by GPU 2. Then the third row is done again by GPU 1 and so on. So your GPU only has to do half the work, so therefore it can be used at higher settings etc. This is what was explained to me about SLI. (So I'm sorry if this is wrong! ) Anyway,  2 GPU's would outperform a single one.
Bell
Frosties > Cornflakes
+362|6561|UK

Dont two of them cost more than a single 8800GTX?

Martyn
RDMC
Enemy Wheelbarrow Spotted..!!
+736|6577|Area 51

Bell wrote:

Martyn
Probably yes
Bertster7
Confused Pothead
+1,101|6593|SE London

Bell wrote:

Martyn
They do. But it's quite close.

SLI is very rarely a cost effective way to get performance in a new system.
Drykill
I Like Waffles.
+47|6704|England

Scorpion0x17 wrote:

Drykill: if it's an 8x slot it will only run at 8x max, no matter what the card supports.
What I mean is that most SLI motherboards come with 2 x16 PCI-e slots but in SLI they only run at x8. I was wondering if there are any C2D motherboards that support SLI mode with both cards running at x16?
Bell
Frosties > Cornflakes
+362|6561|UK

n680i does.  I remember reading this about six months ago so I am not sure it applies here.  But two 7900GTX's compaired to a single 7950GX2, the two seperate cards are 10-20% faster than the two in one card, but at $500 (at the time) extra the 7950GX2 was a more cost effective option.  So I can only presume that it's the same in this case two seperate 320 cards are faster than a single 640, but I presume its much more expensive.

Martyn
cospengle
+140|6499|Armidale, NSW, Australia
On the cost fornt, I guess the good thing about SLI is you can buy one card now and another later (when you can afford it)... although I've heard that sometimes you get two cards from different batches and they don't work too well together. Is that right?
Bertster7
Confused Pothead
+1,101|6593|SE London

cospengle wrote:

On the cost fornt, I guess the good thing about SLI is you can buy one card now and another later (when you can afford it)... although I've heard that sometimes you get two cards from different batches and they don't work too well together. Is that right?
No.

SLI is far more versatile these days. You don't need cards to be made by the same manufacturer or have the same amount of memory (the card with more memory just doesn't use the extra). The forthcoming SLI 2.0 allows different GPUs to be used together - a great idea, especially for those with older GPUs lying around.
Scorpion0x17
can detect anyone's visible post count...
+691|6778|Cambridge (UK)

Drykill wrote:

Scorpion0x17 wrote:

What I mean is that most SLI motherboards come with 2 x16 PCI-e slots but in SLI they only run at x8. I was wondering if there are any C2D motherboards that support SLI mode with both cards running at x16?
Ah, I see. That I don't know.
Bertster7
Confused Pothead
+1,101|6593|SE London

Scorpion0x17 wrote:

Drykill wrote:

Scorpion0x17 wrote:

Ah, I see. That I don't know.
There are many. The Nvidia 680i chipset has 2 16x slots both running at full speed and a third 16x slot which is limited to 8x when the other 16x slots are both being used for SLI. Most new SLI boards support proper dual 16x SLI. I think the Asus A8N32 was the first to support dual 16x SLI (I could be wrong on that) and was slated upon its launch for being pointless since no video cards used that amount of bandwidth, these days however it's an excellent choice for anyone wanting dual 16x SLI.
Mad Ad
+178|6523|England, UK

The#1Spot wrote:

Correct me if im wrong all i really know that sli is the cheapest way to get mass performance for the money.
no

ive dabbled with sli (2x 7800gt) and I wont bother again, its not been any cheaper (even waiting 6 months to buy the 2nd card) and the different in performance is trivial, even on a 23" TFT.

plus if you are talking about vista then sli is broken in places, if I was you id just get one big card and leave all the potential hassles behind you.
  • Index » 
  • Community » 
  • Tech » 
  • Does a 320mb sli 8800gts beat or equal the 640mb version?

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard