steelie34
pub hero!
+603|6383|the land of bourbon
lately i've noticed people saying things like, "oh no, not a barrel roll," or, "why are you doing that roll thing, i can't aim my missle," or, "only noobs barrel roll."  I thought it was a good evasive action against the enemies TV missles.  Am I missing something, or is this a tactic for the newbie pilots?  I've read the guides for piloting and have been trying out some of those tactics, but now i'm wondering if there is some better way to avoid missles...
https://bf3s.com/sigs/36e1d9e36ae924048a933db90fb05bb247fe315e.png
Sydney
2λчиэλ
+783|6845|Reykjavík, Iceland.
Backflip is my favorite evasive in a TV fight, too bad that it doesn't make it any harder to hit you lol.
Zodiaccup
+42|6548
Every other move ist better to avoid enemy fire, than doin' a barrel roll. I repeat every.
{M5}Sniper3
Typical white person.
+389|6761|San Antonio, Texas
It's kind of hard to do a barrel roll in a heli... Do you mean an aileron roll?
Not
Great success!
+216|6578|Chandler, AZ
Not it's a good move. Who told you it wasn't?

OK I mean, if it takes you a minute to finish the roll and you drop 100m in altitude then sure it's bad. But if you can make a fast barrel roll and change direction it's very hard for a TV missile or a jet to hit you unless someone expert is using those.
Not
Great success!
+216|6578|Chandler, AZ

Zodiaccup wrote:

Every other move ist better to avoid enemy fire, than doin' a barrel roll. I repeat every.
Really? Your 1.3 ratio in choppers makes me think different. You likely spin in a circle at a single elevation and get TV'd down a lot.
Zodiaccup
+42|6548

Not wrote:

Not it's a good move. Who told you it wasn't?

OK I mean, if it takes you a minute to finish the roll and you drop 100m in altitude then sure it's bad. But if you can make a fast barrel roll and change direction it's very hard for a TV missile or a jet to hit you unless someone expert is using those.
A decent gunner won't have big problems to hit you while you're doin it.
After some practice you know where to aim while your opponent is doing that move...

Not wrote:

Zodiaccup wrote:

Really? Your 1.3 ratio in choppers makes me think different. You likely spin in a circle at a single elevation and get TV'd down a lot.
I hope you are not judging a book by it's cover.
Believe me i know some good gunners, they won't have a problem...

Last edited by Zodiaccup (2007-02-16 10:49:09)

=Karma-Kills=
"Don't post while intoxicated."
+356|6586|England
In my 150+ hours of choppering, i still find rolling the best tactic.

Rolling, in a way, exploits the hit box lag. If an enemy shots a TV straight at you mid roll, 9/10 times you'll survive.

Not only that but its a quick way to move out the way.

However, it does mean you loose altitude, but with a semi-decent gunner that shouldnt be a problem.

EDIT: Oh yeh some one said about back flips. Though they look uber cool, they are kinda useless (unless you wana make some extreme turns). Not only does your chance of crashing into a tree / crane / hill / building sky rocket, but you expose the chopper's belly - a nice large, easy to hit target with relatively good hit detection.

Last edited by =Karma-Kills= (2007-02-16 10:50:40)

steelie34
pub hero!
i've seen it said by a few different people on a few different servers, and i wasn't always piloting.  I can do them pretty quick and tight with the cobra, but the other helis are a little slower moving.  The good news is that it does always seem to work, and usually the other guy does them as well.  i just cant think of any other faster move, that doesn't make you lose sight of the other heli.

Last edited by steelie34 (2007-02-16 10:53:21)

Ubersturmbannfuhrer
I am a fucking homosexual
+211|6608|Parainen, Finland
The thing is to evade the missile for whatever it takes!!!
And there are no newbie ways to do that if the evasion was a success!!!
The n00b in this case is the guy that whines cause he didn´t hit!!!!!
I rather die in evading the missile and crash right after that than getting hit!!!!!
My favorite evasion is to go straight at the guy and just flip the hitbox fast right and left just before it is about to hit!!!
cablecopulate
+449|6739|Massachusetts.
The only bad evasive maneuver is the one you don't do. If it works, it's good.
oChaos.Haze
+90|6440

cablecopulate wrote:

The only bad evasive maneuver is the one you don't do. If it works, it's good.
Booya, simplicity ftw.  +1

Although I'm a big fan of the idle down slide.  It really messes with the hitbox.  Barrel rolls work well too, but only if you are already in a position to do a fast one.  If you make a slow cumbersome roll, consider yourself hit.

Last edited by oChaos.Haze (2007-02-16 11:05:56)

steelie34
pub hero!

oChaos.Haze wrote:

Although I'm a big fan of the idle down slide.
what is that?
oChaos.Haze
+90|6440
I can't just give it away lol, but in effect it's sliding one direction, and when the missile nears, slow down hard.  I don't know why, but I've watched many badasses miss with that move.  I think it has to do with the fact that people are correcting to predict where you'll be, and when they overshoot, it's just about impossible to get back.
I'm an idiot though, so you may not want to trust me, haha.

Try it out and get the feel.  My goal is to idle hard when their missile is past the point of correcting back, in other words, pretty damn close!

Last edited by oChaos.Haze (2007-02-16 11:12:35)

jord
+2,382|6680|The North, beyond the wall.
My best evasion is called the Jord turn.

I deploy my flares,turn 130 degrees clockwise fire off all my missles in the enemies general direction and bail out.
Ubersturmbannfuhrer
I am a fucking homosexual
+211|6608|Parainen, Finland

oChaos.Haze wrote:

I can't just give it away lol, but in effect it's sliding one direction, and when the missile nears, slow down hard.  I don't know why, but I've watched many badasses miss with that move.  I think it has to do with the fact that people are correcting to predict where you'll be, and when they overshoot, it's just about impossible to get back.

Try it out and get the feel.  My goal is to idle hard when their missile is past the point of correcting back, in other words, pretty damn close!
You might be an idiot but you aint no fool!!!!

+1 for a very nice evasion move, works most of the time!!!!!
Not
Great success!
+216|6578|Chandler, AZ

Ubersturmbannfuhrer wrote:

oChaos.Haze wrote:

You might be an idiot but you aint no fool!!!!

+1 for a very nice evasion move, works most of the time!!!!!
I've seen people try that. Then I usually watch my driver kill assists rack up. They probably weren't as good at it as you may be but, every time I see someone try a change of direction it just doesn't happen fast enough to trick a good gunner. I'm sure the other pilot, like I said, wasn't as experienced doing it, or didn't even know what he was doing. But I've never seen this work. I'll have to give that a try.
oChaos.Haze
+90|6440
See that's the trick, it's not so much a change in direction as it is in speed.  If you change direction, then they will probably shoot behind you, thus chances of catching the hitbox are higher.  If you just change speed, then not only do they have to recorrect, they have to figure where the hitbox is now according to your speed, which hopefully they already have calculated wrongly.  Usually they shoot in front of you then , and that's the goal, since the hitbox is lazy and likes to lag behind the model.  I just want to add, that if you're up against a badass, most if not all evasions are useless.  Then it comes down to range game and who fires first.

"God all the hitbox wants to do is smoke pot and sit on the couch, I have to drag him everywhere"

Last edited by oChaos.Haze (2007-02-16 11:44:45)

_PQWeR_AuRoRa_olly
+22|6512|Surrey, United Kingdom
b roll for nabs
Aries_37
arrivederci frog
+368|6577|London
Best move to evade fire is stay out of range, no gunner can hit you then.
Toilet Sex
one love, one pig
+1,775|6573

oChaos.Haze wrote:

I've also noticed that some of the best can miss a simple strafe if you're moving really fast and then almost stop. They fired the TV in the mind that they're going to need to pull of something good to hit you, when if you stop, they're thinking "omg easy" and miss.

I find that anyway.
arson
+99|6638|New York
They will always cry for you to be  still so they can try to kill you  regardless if its on the ground, or in the air. A cry baby knows no  limits.  Its always fun for me to see who cries first in the server.
cablecopulate
+449|6739|Massachusetts.
Evasive maneuvers aren't necessary, really.  Half the shots go right through the chopper anyway. Just hover and hope for the best!
trepid_jesse
+4|6720
Magic.
Ajax_the_Great1
Dropped on request
+206|6648
The best evasion techniques are the ones where you change direction quick. It's like evading a sniper. You don't run in a straight line. Barrel rolls make you move in a predictable motion and if they know where to shoot they're going to hit you.

Granted, barrel rolls work great in pubs.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard