[F7F7]KiNG_KaDaFFHi
Why walk when you can dance?
+77|6607|sWEEDen
I blame the guns and the fucked up way of thinking / living....but hey...that´s just me.
Pug
UR father's brother's nephew's former roommate
+652|6562|Texas - Bigger than France

sergeriver wrote:

Armed Man Kills 5 at Mall in Utah

This episode and the one in Philadelphia, took the lives of 8 people. 

Why do these shootings happen so often in the US?  Would they happen without the Right to Bear Arms?  Is it safe a civilian carrying a gun?  I'm asking, not making a judgement.  I want to know your opinion about these cases, because they happen frequently.
Common?  0.0027%
http://www.nationmaster.com/graph/cri_m … per-capita

Or well reported?
Superslim
BF2s Frat Brother
+211|6712|Calgary

Commie Killer wrote:

Mason4Assassin444 wrote:

Well the Utah one was some little punk ass who's parents will probably blame it on heavy metal.

I dont believe the right to bear arms is a direct link to crazy people bearing arms and killing people. For every asshole who can't handle life and goes on a shooting rampage, there are 1,000,000 who don't.

The way our world is going now we're lucky there aren't 20-30 of these a day. I'd say we're doing pretty darn good.
Damn.......I totally agree with you, thats a first.
PFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF   I hope he didn't play BF 2 , then we'll get all blamed when infact, WTF happened to parenting?
mcgid1
Meh...
+129|6737|Austin, TX/San Antonio, TX

Superslim wrote:

Commie Killer wrote:

Mason4Assassin444 wrote:

Well the Utah one was some little punk ass who's parents will probably blame it on heavy metal.

I dont believe the right to bear arms is a direct link to crazy people bearing arms and killing people. For every asshole who can't handle life and goes on a shooting rampage, there are 1,000,000 who don't.

The way our world is going now we're lucky there aren't 20-30 of these a day. I'd say we're doing pretty darn good.
Damn.......I totally agree with you, thats a first.
PFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF   I hope he didn't play BF 2 , then we'll get all blamed when infact, WTF happened to parenting?
The introduction of "go sit in your room and think about what you've done cause you're in time out" over smacking the kid's ass is what happened to parenting.
sergeriver
Cowboy from Hell
+1,928|6777|Argentina

Pug wrote:

sergeriver wrote:

Why do these shootings happen so often in the US?  Would they happen without the Right to Bear Arms?  Is it safe a civilian carrying a gun?  I'm asking, not making a judgement.  I want to know your opinion about these cases, because they happen frequently.
Common?  0.0027%

Or well reported?
A Time Line of Recent Worldwide School Shootings

This is a report about school shootings around the World.  I know the SL City episode was in a mall, but look at the stats.  They mention 50 shootings, and 90% happened in the US.
motherdear
+25|6671|Denmark/Minnesota (depends)

ELITE-UK wrote:

im waiting for some cunt (news reporters or noobs who know nothing) to say it was all grand theft auto's fault and should ban violent video games!
we need to get Hillary Clinton in  here then. the cunt used 8 years on a projekt to warn about games and their socalled "damaging" effects (she had no idea of what she was talking about)
Pug

sergeriver wrote:

Pug wrote:

sergeriver wrote:

Common?  0.0027%

Or well reported?

This is a report about school shootings around the World.  I know the SL City episode was in a mall, but look at the stats.  They mention 50 shootings, and 90% happened in the US.
So is that a complete list?  That's like 50 shootings since 1996 worldwide.  Plus there has been exactly 50?  Not like 51 or 49 or 47 or something...a nice round 50?

I posted the chance of getting shot in the US.  You posted a list of 50 incidents worldwide...which is not a complete list.  Is there an argument in there?
Fancy_Pollux
Connoisseur of Fine Wine
+1,306|6666

Pug wrote:

sergeriver wrote:

Pug wrote:

Common?  0.0027%

Or well reported?

So is that a complete list?  That's like 50 shootings since 1996 worldwide.  Plus there has been exactly 50?  Not like 51 or 49 or 47 or something...a nice round 50?

I posted the chance of getting shot in the US.  You posted a list of 50 incidents worldwide...which is not a complete list.  Is there an argument in there?
And that, again, is D&ST in a nutshell. Gotta love it.
KnowMeByTrailOfDead
Jackass of all Trades
+62|6701|Dayton, Ohio
Keep in mind that the US is the melting pot.  That means that we have been assimilating individuals and cultures for 200 years and each of those refugees has brought along their individual problems, beliefs, etc.  Unfortuanatly this means that all the worlds problems tend to happen here also (on a some what smaller scale).  This guy In Utah was part of a family of Bosnian refugees.  Do you think they had any baggage when the came to the states?
-=88.dNk.88=-
+3|6769|UK
Honestly my opinion is that its really a mix of a Culture of Fear (Glassmore 1999); freedom of Gun Ownership (some (MOST) people shouldn't have access to guns); capitalism with low social ideals; and the pressures of low pay & high pressure jobs / living.

You will always find violence in society, however it should be minimal, and finally real gun restrictions, people who really need guns should have them e.g. Hunters etc.

Gun crime as far as I can see, points generally to either poor circumstance, and a lack of social understanding (Or mental illness). Consider any gun crime you can think of, either from poor families, or they considered themselves to be outsiders or not part of society.  Feeling of alienation and exploitation create people who neither want to live or want others to be as unhappy as them.
Doctor Strangelove
Real Battlefield Veterinarian.
+1,758|6488

Fancy_Pollux wrote:

Lower gun crime = higher knife crime. Keep that in mind.
But still less total crime.
13urnzz
Banned
+5,830|6517

Hurricane wrote:

I think Utah and Colorado are a breeding ground for nuts who do this sort of stuff.
This just in:

KnowMeByTrailOfDead wrote:

This guy In Utah was part of a family of Bosnian refugees.  Do you think they had any baggage when the came to the states?
Where do the federal laws originate? Where are the decisions made to allow Bosnian refugees live in Utah?
The mountain west states do have wide open areas and more legitimate useages for firearms.

Agent_Dung_Bomb wrote:

It was all over the news on every channel here.  The thing is, this wasn't a hand gun or anything like that.  It was a shotgun that he used.
Saying an area of the country is more prone to gun violence than others is not what the OP was asking:

sergeriver wrote:

Why do these shootings happen so often in the US?
Which area in the U.S. had the most shooting deaths, Hurricane? Could that have possibly been washington dc?
UGADawgs
+13|6341|South Carolina, US

sergeriver wrote:

Because we have 300 million people. Of course there's going to be more stuff that happens here, there are more people.

Now if you wanted to talk per capita, then that's a different story. But you asked why we have more gun crimes total, and that's why.
S3v3N
lolwut?
+685|6538|Montucky
I blame Ammunition. After all its a projectile that leaves the firearm and enters the flesh of a random person. I know from experience its hard to kill somebody with an unloaded firearm. Ya know running around yelling "Bang" doesn't do much. You'd have to be really dodgy on the heart for it to work.
Pug

S3v3N wrote:

I blame Ammunition. After all its a projectile that leaves the firearm and enters the flesh of a random person. I know from experience its hard to kill somebody with an unloaded firearm. Ya know running around yelling "Bang" doesn't do much. You'd have to be really dodgy on the heart for it to work.
I blame the laws of physics myself.
Turquoise
O Canada
+1,596|6425|North Carolina

sergeriver wrote:

USA = 300 million people

We have a wider wealth disparity than most other First World Nations.  We have a population that has much higher incidences of autism, ADHD, and of a few other mental disorders than most other First World Nations.

We also have about a 1:1 ratio of guns to people, when looking at the total number of guns in America. We have some of the most lenient gun license laws in the First World.

Add all of these things together, and you end up with a relatively violent, but still prosperous, nation.

At this point, guns are a necessary evil in America.  You can't take the guns away from the people, and even if you did, there would still be criminals here with them.  I'd rather suffer the occasional rampage than have to worry about being unarmed against an armed criminal.

To many people abroad, this logic might seem strange or even ludicrous, but if you spend some time in Detroit, Baltimore, Oakland, or D.C., you might have a change of heart.
stryyker
bad touch
+1,682|6740|California

Word on the Wire is that the Unabomber has returned, as well
Fredrik
i hate you all
+201|6669|Norway
Because you have to many rules, to many security guards, to much Police and Government involvement in general. A lot of people need to feel free, like they can do and say what they want without being watched and controlled all the time, and if they dont: snap

Last edited by Fredrik (2007-02-14 16:09:10)

Turquoise
O Canada

Fredrik wrote:

Because you have to many rules, to many security guards, to much Police and Government involvement in general. A lot of people need to feel free, like they can do and say what they want without being watched and controlled all the time, and if they dont: snap
I see what you're saying, but if that was the real reason, then London would have rampages all the time.

London has more cameras per square mile than any other place on Earth.  THAT'S Big Brother right there.

Yet, the only people who typically rampage over there are Islamists.
Fancy_Pollux
Connoisseur of Fine Wine
+1,306|6666

Turquoise wrote:

That applies to pretty much every country nowadays.
Turquoise
O Canada

Fancy_Pollux wrote:

Turquoise wrote:

LOL...  QFT
crimson_grunt
Shitty Disposition (apparently)
+214|6674|Teesside, UK

Turquoise wrote:

Not true in the slightest.  I've seen more CCTV footage of football hooligans, binge drinkers beating the shit out of each other purely cause its the weekend or armys of teenage yobs who take over their neighbourhoods and destroy everything in their site.

I've seen what I've just described on tv tonnes more times time than I've seen any angry radicals.  Try to find any of this footage online tho and it's bloody impossible.
Turquoise
O Canada

crimson_grunt wrote:

Turquoise wrote:

Not true in the slightest.  I've seen more CCTV footage of football hooligans, binge drinkers beating the shit out of each other purely cause its the weekend or armys of teenage yobs who take over their neighbourhoods and destroy everything in their site.

I've seen what I've just described on tv tonnes more times time than I've seen any angry radicals.  Try to find any of this footage online tho and it's bloody impossible.
Good points...  Being an actual citizen of the U.K., you obviously know more about this than me, but I have to ask....  Despite how violent and bad these hooligans can be, do they usually kill anyone or use explosives in their mayhem?  This is a serious question, and I'm honestly not being flippant.
imortal
+240|6685|Austin, TX

[F7F7]KiNG_KaDaFFHi wrote:

I blame the guns and the fucked up way of thinking / living....but hey...that´s just me.
[sarcasm]Yeah!  Blame the guns!  Those lazy, evil guns laying around, just waiting for their chance to get at you!  Careful!  I hear there are whole packs of guns roming the streets at night, looking for people to shoot.[/sarcasm]

Must be convenient to blame inanimate objects for problems.  Why not blame the person?  Maybe his muslim background?  Maybe his anti-depressant medication?  Maybe his parents?  Nah, just blame guns.
imortal
+240|6685|Austin, TX

Fancy_Pollux wrote:

Turquoise wrote:

...but the media is afraid to actually say that the person is muslim.  Remember, Islam is a religion of peace; if you say anything different, they will hunt you down and kill you.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard