BVC
+325|6714
Given you've now likely had a decent whack at both games, what do you think was the biggest improvement on BF1942 (except graphics)?  Where do you think it went downhill?  Any other thoughts?

Me, I think the command structure (commander, squads) was the biggest improvement, with ingame VOIP a close second.

For a step backwards, lack of new content compared to BF1942; most patches had a new map with them, so it never really felt like a waste of time downloading the latest patch, there was almost always something enticing about it.

I think the stats changed the feel of it a bit...more fun, a better community feel...there was less aggro.

Last edited by Pubic (2007-02-05 02:59:56)

ryanv12
+10|6360|San Francisco, CA, USA
Yep, definitely the command structure, and the stats and award system was great too. Great way of checking your own progress and having something to show for time played and skills improved.

Backwards? Infantry only. I understand why people want it, but it takes away from so much of what the game is about. There are plenty of infantry only games out there. As you can see, I'm nostalgic towards Summer '05 when I first started playing ...and my 1942 days

Last edited by ryanv12 (2007-02-05 03:04:14)

bobroonie.bda
+143|6700
1942, great game.

command structure, stats page, awards, are a great upgrade being able to rez people.

Being able to have ship combat, drive the aircraft carrier, and submarines was awesome. having a primary ship battle map, was bad ass. Different objective maps, 1 where you had to bomb the hangers and AA cannons. And 1 where you had to bomb the carrier was awesome.

There was alot less bitching about the way people played. Forinstance if there was a spawn camper, or a tank in your main, you killed him. You did something about it, not bitch and try to kick vote.
Nikola Bathory
Karkand T-90 0wnage
+163|6805|Bulgaria
I played lots of BF1942, It's a shame there were no stats there and I can't tell how many hours, but I am SURE at least 2000
So, to answer your 2 Q's
Improvements: yes, as already people said, the command structure and the stats & awards! Great idea! Also, the score system - getting points for heal/repair/resupply/kill assist - that's fair, to get points for that, but in BF1942 there was no such thing, and many times I got angry of people "stealling" my frags! Now, I can get a kill assist, which is fair and OK
Now, what changed for the worst - I don't knowq but something I DO MISS are the epic naval battles! Remember Midway? It was great fun!
Pernicious544
Zee Tank Skank
+80|6719|MoVal So-Cal
If they re-made 1942 with ranks, unlocks (there could be shit load of realistic ones), voip, commanders and squads It would be the best of the series
Krysiss
+15|6493|NL

Pernicious544 wrote:

If they re-made 1942 with ranks, unlocks (there could be shit load of realistic ones), voip, commanders and squads It would be the best of the series
Don't say anything crap liek this.

Teamwork is way better in BF1942 then BF2 becauser there are no online ranking systeem only statics.
Sydney
2λчиэλ
+783|6862|Reykjavík, Iceland.
Squads and VOIP here, the rest is worse.
Vilham
Say wat!?
+580|6785|UK
stats and better team system.
h4hagen
Whats my age again?
+91|6371|Troy, New York
Im hoping they remake BF1942, Which is why im looking forward 2 FH2 so much, cuz it brings back the ships, only thing BF1942 had better except for Being WW2
.cat.
+4|6358

Pubic wrote:

Given you've now likely had a decent whack at both games, what do you think was the biggest improvement on BF1942 (except graphics)?  Where do you think it went downhill?  Any other thoughts?

Me, I think the command structure (commander, squads) was the biggest improvement, with ingame VOIP a close second.

For a step backwards, lack of new content compared to BF1942; most patches had a new map with them, so it never really felt like a waste of time downloading the latest patch, there was almost always something enticing about it.

I think the stats changed the feel of it a bit...more fun, a better community feel...there was less aggro.
42 was above and beyond any other game of its time. Bf2 is a completely diff beast. Altogether bf2 is better then 42 with the exception of noobifying the weapons and the bad cone fire. In 42 you actually needed some skill to be good with the weaps and vehicles.

Oh and btw, bf42 had "stats". Bftracks..... IMO a better system because it didnt benefit players who whored hours to get to the top.

Last edited by .cat. (2007-02-05 13:30:10)

Pernicious544
Zee Tank Skank
+80|6719|MoVal So-Cal

Krysiss wrote:

Pernicious544 wrote:

Don't say anything crap liek this.

Teamwork is way better in BF1942 then BF2 becauser there are no online ranking systeem only statics.
Please dont say any crap like you said because your very wrong and cant spell (sorry but i had to )

Last edited by Pernicious544 (2007-02-05 18:36:36)

norge
J-10 and a coke please
+18|6488
backwards? idk, i didnt play 1942, but the arty in bf2 is ghey.
SuperSlowYo
slow as you go
+124|6579|Canaduhhh.. West Toast
i think that like others have said... ranks and badges and whatnot ruined this game... there were no stat padders in the 1942, everyone just played for the enjoyment

gettin new maps, and altered sound effects was a total novelty with every patch..

edit: i miss the scud truck lol

Last edited by SuperSlowYo (2007-02-05 13:54:17)

.cat.
+4|6358

SuperSlowYo wrote:

i think that like others have said... ranks and badges and whatnot ruined this game... there were no stat padders in the 1942, everyone just played for the enjoyment

gettin new maps, and altered sound effects was a total novelty with every patch..

Scud truck was DC. wow flashback and yes that was fun shiz... I think flying the c130 around with those howitzers was good comedy back then.

I think they should replace Arty in BF2 with the Cruise missle they had in DC. ha
Mr.Pieeater
+116|6643|Cherry Pie
One thing I actually missed in BF2 coming from BF1942 was Capute the Flag, that was sooooo much fun!  It was a shame they got rid of it.
SuperSlowYo
slow as you go
+124|6579|Canaduhhh.. West Toast

.cat. wrote:

SuperSlowYo wrote:

Scud truck was DC. wow flashback and yes that was fun shiz... I think flying the c130 around with those howitzers was good comedy back then.

I think they should replace Arty in BF2 with the Cruise missle they had in DC. ha
ohhh yeah i always forget that Desert Combat was the mod and not the actual 1942 game.. i wasnt down with the WWII stuff so i never played anything but DC... the howitzer was wicked in the battle of 73 eastings
genius_man16
Platinum Star whore
+365|6697|Middle of nowhere

Mr.Pieeater wrote:

One thing I actually missed in BF2 coming from BF1942 was Capute the Flag, that was sooooo much fun!  It was a shame they got rid of it.
but that could easily be used to pad stats, and EA seems to care about that shit, lol
Tjasso
the "Commander"
+102|6542|the Netherlands
hmmm glory days playing Tobruk in armor , armor armor EVRY WHERE !!!
Secret weapons was nice ,then BFvietnam ... choppers !!! YEAH (that radio with music was pretty nice )
New maps of BF1942 Coral sea , filipines ... maps in patch yummi !!! NO account !!! Planes that could be flown by any one (allthough TK for planes was allready there , NOT a BF2 thing ...just moved along into BF2 .

More balanced due to Massiv vehicles in some maps (Karkhov)  Hated the guys that got 1st position in Carrier Engi having mines + explosivs
Lots of Fun !!!!!! shoot to kill ! UM DIE FLAGGE KAMPFEN Feindliches U- Boat gesichtet !!!
Enemy U boat spotted (in a desert YEAH RIGHT !!!! LOL LOL LOL

BATTLEFIELD 2 >>> private Tjasso reporting for duty >>> Enrollment Date : 2005-07-02 21:04:00
Squads , Tanks ,APC , EXPLOSIVS !! c4 at ya door Snipers in ghillie suits etc etc
Vanilla BF2 !!! hmmm hmm hmmm I LOVE it !!! 2005 man !!! kick some MEC ASS in karkand city Baby !!
Stats ... well hmm what can i say , Happy with the rankings i think that is cool , makes it more addicted

more laters on BF2 ...what s the rest got to say bout it .....?

P.S. in between i followed the ENTIRE NOVALOGIC Delta Force series ... Joint operations came and then !!!!!!...... Guess what happenend

Last edited by Tjasso (2007-02-19 18:10:56)

Smithereener
+138|6334|California

.cat. wrote:

SuperSlowYo wrote:

I think what he meant by scud truck was the russian version of artillery.
Cheez
Herman is a warmaphrodite
+1,027|6457|King Of The Islands

- Jets, now any turd with arms can fly, bomb, dogfight, pwn, etc.
- Squads, now that corner of the screen is green, same level of teamwork though.
- Allies always blue, Enemy always red, because shooting people was complicated enough.
- Tanks, your basic point-and-click interface. No more peashooter wobblebob tincans.
- Population, back when BF1942 was out, Australia's online population was about 3. Now its 10.
My state was founded by Batman. Your opinion is invalid.
Smithereener
+138|6334|California
Graphics wise, BF2 is defenitely a step up from 42. The chain of command is also a step up. Squads and VOIP really improve the gameplay. I dunno about others, but I like the Q and T function keys better than the 42 ones.

But the stats system is a huge step backwards. The matches during 42 were a lot more enjoyable, you saw less (if any) "hax0r" and "fux u" comments. The dogfights in 42 were ACTUALLY dogfights. No missle spam, just guns. (Wing gliding was fun too ) And lastly, the ships added a whole new dimension of play. Maps like Aberdeen (I think) were basically crazy ass tank wars.

If BF2 had a Coral Sea or Midway-like map, it would be interesting.

I think I might play some 1942 right now.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard