CC-Marley
+407|6798
This is my weakest of three pcs and I just bought an ATI850pro to replace my 9700pro. It went in but the performance has declined. Random dots in sky playing BF2, Apc HUD messed, ect. It has P4 2.53 1 gig RAM.  I was thinking that the stock 250watt PSU could be the problem...Some say yes and some no. Since this forum has the best info out there I want your opinions....THANX!!!!!!!!!
Chard_Wreck
+0|6702
there are a lot of things that could cause problems. When you installed the new drivers did you make sure you completely removed the old drivers? ATI has a program on their site that is supposed to clean out all remnents of their drivers for reinstalls and upgrades.

The only time the power supply will really effect your video is if the video card has an extra power plug. I'm not familier with that card so I can't say if it does. But if your running a 250W I would definitly suggest getting a better power supply, at least a 350W if not higher.

From my experience when you have game issues after installing a new video card it is sometimes best to reinstall the program. I don't know why but I've fixed a lot of problems with different games doing this.

Does the mother board have AGP 8X? I know that might sound like a silly question but you would be surprised what dell will toss into a case just to make some money hoping the buyer doesn't know better.

One last idea, double check the mother board bios and see if you can manually control the agp voltages. If you can you might concider doing some research and seeing what the requirements are. On some low end boards you had to tweak the voltage settings to get the newer ATI cards to work. At least I did with my 9700Pro.

Hope that helps or at leasts get you on the right track.
CC-Marley
+407|6798
Guys I still need some help! I put in A new 500 watt PSU and still have artifact problems. 3Dmark05 runs with major graphic issues. I'm pretty sure my mobo is only 4xagp. The 850 pro is 8x...Could this be my problem?.. All drivers are installed correctly(cat unistaller run).Any help is appreciated.
VirtuaLResistancE
ArmChair Warrior
+4|6725|NH - USA
I can't personally help you, but you might find more support on the Dell forums, I have found much help there with mine. (dell.com)
CC-Marley
+407|6798
Put out same request for help there too! No reply yet. By the wat ATI users....Anyone ever use the ATI TOOL? For oc ing?

Last edited by CC-Marley (2005-12-08 00:20:04)

-_{MoW}_-Assasin
+13|6698|Australia
ATi Tool is a comprehensive tool used for overclocking.

It allows changing of the Frequencies, enableing and disableing pipes and also has the option of changing the ram timings on the Graphics card too, its a pretty good tool, i use it on my little bro's pc

I would uninstall ur Catalyst and use driver cleaner to clean out the old drivers as it maybe driver corruption

Then go to the ATi site and download the new Catylist 5.11

Last edited by -_{MoW}_-Assasin (2005-12-08 00:32:36)

CC-Marley
+407|6798
Tried all that^^^^^above posts^^^^^...since you;ve used ATI TOOL why would it lower my mem max way below the standard 500/500 with my 850 pro? do I have to change voltage somewhere . I'm Noobish for the most part when It comes to Ocing. The temp is  @71 c when scanning for artifactsat default. Scans for a while (4 min)then gets errors every few seconds.HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Last edited by CC-Marley (2005-12-08 02:03:55)

Krappyappy
'twice cooked beef!'
+111|6789
yeah i have a dell 8000 series too, what a piece of junk mobo it has... 4x agp crap.

and it has rdram.... three times as expensive as other ram but only slightly wider data flow, so i'm still running 512 like a caveman

no more dell for me.
CC-Marley
+407|6798
Bump.......help?!
-101-InvaderZim
+42|6813|Waikato, Aotearoa
The problem could be BECAUSE ITS A DELL. IMHO - avoid Dell like you would Baghdad on a bad day.

Dell are really only for Govt Depts, not home/games users. My friend has a Dell laptop is having Hells own trouble upgrading any part of it.
If you want a gaming laptop, then buy one off a computer shop, and dont forget to ask about future proofing (ie upgrading it when the time comes.)
The problem with Dell is that nearly all the components are propriety, ie they will only work in Dell PC's wich means you having to take it back to Dell for upgrading, which means expensive components and expensive labour costs. (If they will upgrade for you at all....)
Non Dell laptops/PCs generally mean they use "Open" or Generic components, which mean you get a better choice of component and price (and if your a techie 0 labour costs). My fiancee's laptop is an Asus and will take generic RAM. Dont know about video or HDD but i assume it will.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard