unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6778|PNW

I saw the PC game (CoD2: GOTY) sitting around for $29 in a metal basket, so I went ahead and picked it up. I played the first one through at a friend's house, but never bought it. I've only seen videos of the sequel, though. Does anybody still play it? How is it?

Last edited by unnamednewbie13 (2007-02-01 15:36:34)

Phatso
The Moisture
+49|6702|South Africa
I am actually playing through SP again, but this time on my new rig with everything high.

Still a classic man.
kiteboarderni
+62|6687
i play it online. add me on xfire if you want a game. i was playing earlier and i found an old skul m8 i hadnt seen in 7 years!!
SoC./Omega
+122|6547|Omaha, Nebraska!

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

I saw the PC game (CoD2: GOTY) sitting around for $29 in a metal basket, so I went ahead and picked it up. I played the first one through at a friend's house, but never bought it. I've only seen videos of the sequel, though. Does anybody still play it? How is it?
Ya many play it, like alot alot...in fact I am in a tournament right now playing a battle.. the tournament is BP CoD2, bpcod2.com to check it out.
Ganko_06
Laughter with an S
+167|6651|Camoran's Paradise
Great game.  I wish CoD 3 would come out for PC.
Sgt_Sieg
"Bow Chicka Bow Wow." The correct way.
+89|6781
COD United Offensive has the best online hands down. So. Yeah. Just to let you know.
crimson_grunt
Shitty Disposition (apparently)
+214|6661|Teesside, UK
I've considered buying the Call of duty games but never got round to it.  How does it compare to BF2?  Also is single player any good?
seymorebutts443
Ready for combat
+211|6602|Belchertown Massachusetts, USA
single is supposed to be fucking epic
Fallschirmjager10
+36|6467

crimson_grunt wrote:

I've considered buying the Call of duty games but never got round to it.  How does it compare to BF2?  Also is single player any good?
Single player in CoD 1 was great! And as for online, its pretty good.
dubbs
+105|6638|Lexington, KY
I know that my clan has moved more into COD2 rather then BF2.  They play the LAR mod a lot.  You can check out our two servers, the addresses are listed at http://www.filthy13.com.  We have six members, nicknamed the Mag Six, who have an open challenge out, that they will play any team of six players, up to even eight players I think, and that they will win no matter what map, or what rules.  If you want to challenge them, contact Eagle via PM.
Spearhead
Gulf coast redneck hippy
+731|6696|Tampa Bay Florida

Sgt_Sieg wrote:

COD United Offensive has the best online hands down. So. Yeah. Just to let you know.
Hell, YES.  Words cannot describe how much I agree with that statement.

2004/05 were the glory days for UO.  What sucks the most about it is that so many people (such as Xbox users) never got to experience it.  Instead they got stuck with CoD 2, which is (imo) a watered down version of CoD.

CoD3 is pretty cool too, but nothing can ever come close to United Offensive.  If I had the money/experience, I'd set up my own server and commmunity.  Maybe I will someday..... when UO is long gone.
Spearhead
Gulf coast redneck hippy
+731|6696|Tampa Bay Florida
SP for CoD1 included D-Day for US paratroopers, D-Day for British paratroopers (glider landings), and the battle of Stalingrad for the Russians.  The final battle of the game is storming the Reichstag in Berlin.  That remains as probably the most cinematic level in any game I've played.  Waving the red flag over the ruins of Berlin after a grueling and hectic 10 hour campaign....... amazing.

SP for United Offense had the battle of Bastogne for US paratroopers, for Brits, you start as a air crewman in a B-17, then you get shot down and fight with the SAS in Belgium of Holland (can't remember).  For the Russkis, you fight off the Germans at Kursk...

Probably some of the best single player campaigns ever made, with even better multiplayer.  If you haven't bought CoD1 or UO, I'd go out and buy them if I were you.  But that's just me, everyone has their own tastes.

Last edited by Spearhead (2007-02-01 19:22:56)

jkohlc
2142th Whore
+214|6533|Singapore
the CoD 2 multi player kinda sucked...

CoD: UO was better with vehicles...
Reciprocity
+721|6587|the dank(super) side of Oregon
I played CoD:UO multiplayer daily for at least 8 months.
some_random_panda
Flamesuit essential
+454|6397

I never could find a copy of COD: UO, so I just bought COD2.  I like the way that the gun's recoil is controllable, i.e. if the gun goes up, you pull down to compensate (and the bullets always follow your sights), instead of BF2's recoil (PKM is a classic example - your bullets go wherever they want.)
zeidmaan
+234|6422|Vienna

I played alot of COD2 (since it was cracked). Multiplayer is fun if you play 5 vs 5 or maximum 8 vs 8. Anything more and it turns to nade spamming. On many maps you can throw granades from 1 teams spawn to the other teams spawn right at the beggining. So with 64 players it becomes pure chance. If you spawn in the back of the bunch you will get pwned no matter what (atleast 1/3 die from granades in first 7 seconds). Plus there are one-shot-kill rifles and one-shot-kill snipers with no bullet deviation if you move or even jump.
But with 10-20 players it can be pretty interesting, specialy the S&D mod. And there is no damn UAV and sat scan so you can actualy hide, ambush etc.
Overall its more like Counter Strike than BF.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6778|PNW

Well, I beat the single player campaign in one day. The random cinematic-style sequences were very pretty, but divided too much by endless waves of enemies with no particular logical origin. At one point, I felt as if I killed over 10,000 Nazis on one street corner with an MG. IMO, CoD2 single player is no better or worse than CoD1 single player. Might play multi-player a bit, but I doubt it'll take the place of CS or BF. Took me several hours to beat it, and since it cost little more than some movies, well...I'm not too disappointed.

Beginning with the US campaign, I noticed that some of the objects were discolored. I expect it has something to do with my video driver, because I turned my system off a bit to let my GPU cool down, to no effect.

What really pissed me off, though, is that I went to use the cheats for a second tour through some of the maps, only to find that they were fucking disabled in the version I have. Genius fucking developers, I wanted moon-like gravity, slo-mo and no-clipping. Back to Soldier of Fortune if I actually want to tweak around, eh? Shit...what right do they have telling me how to play my own game?

Last edited by unnamednewbie13 (2007-02-03 04:08:21)

Fenris_GreyClaw
Real Хорошо
+826|6526|Adelaide, South Australia

dubbs wrote:

I know that my clan has moved more into COD2 rather then BF2.  They play the LAR mod a lot.  You can check out our two servers, the addresses are listed at http://www.filthy13.com.  We have six members, nicknamed the Mag Six, who have an open challenge out, that they will play any team of six players, up to even eight players I think, and that they will win no matter what map, or what rules.  If you want to challenge them, contact Eagle via PM.
What if the rule is they have to lose?
Sydney
2λчиэλ
+783|6850|Reykjavík, Iceland.
The thing I love about CoD2 is that there is no cone of fire, only cylinder of fire .

When you have your ironsights over a guy, you WILL HIT unless the recoil takes the sights off him.
ozzie_johnson
+98|6664|Penrith, N.S.W, Australia
i play cod2 every now and then good change from bf2.
Daniel_Blue-Delta
+11|6309|Sweden
It's awesome. I love that game.

D-Day is completely amazing, I was actually really thrilled and the adrenaline was flowing when I played it.

Actually, that happened on every mission of the game.

Fighting as that Russian recruit is amazing, at times I really thought "Man, must have been absolutely horrible to be a Soviet soldier". I already knew that it was, but actually experiencing some of the battlefields depicted in a game gave me another perspective than what's been seen in movies and books. The designers have done an excellent job on making the player sympathize and feel like a soldier during the war.

Last edited by Daniel_Blue-Delta (2007-02-03 10:48:44)

ryanv12
+10|6348|San Francisco, CA, USA

Sgt_Sieg wrote:

true...I loved COD:UO...that was some of my best online experiences ever. COD 2's singleplayer was very intense and fun, but the multiplayer got old quick....it's too easy to aim, every map is confined and there's no vehicles. I used to love CTF in COD:UO...the jeeps added such a good dynamic to that game.

I actually played COD:UO online recently...I only found one populated server in my area and it was pretty fun, albeit not the same since there weren't as many players in its hayday. Sad.
Hama-Raptor-UK
+58|6430|West Midlands
oh man its ace
i only played the demo and i am going to buy it, "KILL THAT KRAUT WANKER" ohh man its so cool
n0sX
+71|6461
Ive just started to play COD2 and its really good on MP, but dont play on servers with over 25-30 people or its just to crazy. Bullets and nades coming from everywhere. Also SP is good too.
stryyker
bad touch
+1,682|6727|California

If you want the worlds most generic shooter, pick it up.

I just finished CoD3 on the 360, and it feels EXACTLY like 2. No change, aside from the gay user interface.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard