Bertster7
Confused Pothead
+1,101|6581|SE London

icecreamgod wrote:

isn't that patch just a peformance enhancer for your windows vista? ok wait time out, the 64bit is not a different version correct? its kinda like a mod. you just download it from this link: http://www.nvidia.com/object/winvista_x64_158.18.html

when i buy windows vista home premium, it is just normal windows vista right? and then i download from that link above to make it windows 64bit?
Not at all. You couldn't be more wrong.

Vista 64-bit is a different program, it's not an upgrade. The link you've given is for Nvidia drivers for 64-bit Vista. You should always (usually) use the latest drivers for your OS - but from the sounds of things you have a 32-bit copy of Vista installed, so that driver is the wrong one for you.

If you'd read the OP in this thread you'd know that.
icecreamgod
+13|6165
ok, so are you saying i should go buy a 64bit windows vista?
Bertster7
Confused Pothead
+1,101|6581|SE London

icecreamgod wrote:

ok, so are you saying i should go buy a 64bit windows vista?
No. I'm not.

I'm saying you should use the 32-bit Vista drivers, 'cos the one you linked to won't work.

Why are you so desperate to run 64-bit Vista?
icecreamgod
+13|6165
i was told by a few people that the 64bit works a bit better, so i was just trying to do some research on it.

oh and still under the 32bit driver package on the nvidia website, it still doesn't say added support for the 8800 GTX, only the 8800 ULTRA. should i go ahead and download it anyways?

Last edited by icecreamgod (2007-06-28 10:32:10)

Bertster7
Confused Pothead
+1,101|6581|SE London

icecreamgod wrote:

i was told by a few people that the 64bit works a bit better, so i was just trying to do some research on it.
The 32-bit version of Vista currently works better, due to better support by drivers and applications.

icecreamgod wrote:

oh and still under the 32bit driver package on the nvidia website, it still doesn't say added support for the 8800 GTX, only the 8800 ULTRA. should i go ahead and download it anyways?
That's because the previous version already has support for the 8800GTX, so adding support for it wouldn't be much of a new feature.
icecreamgod
+13|6165
So Berster, are you saying I should download a previous driver (if it exist) that does give added support to my GeForce 8800 GTX?
Bertster7
Confused Pothead
+1,101|6581|SE London

icecreamgod wrote:

So Berster, are you saying I should download a previous driver (if it exist) that does give added support to my GeForce 8800 GTX?
NO!!!!!

Download the latest driver for 32-bit Vista, if you are running 32-bit Vista that is.

That list of features is only NEW features. It doesn't need to mention the support for the GTX BECAUSE IT ALREADY HAS IT!
icecreamgod
+13|6165
sorrryyy, i just like to know exactly. thanks a bunch.
[PTG]shogun
PS n00b & proud vista user
+44|6432
lol
kylef
Gone
+1,352|6493|N. Ireland
I'm having less and less problems now with Vista 32. Honestly, it's worth the upgrade! There are drivers galore and also some neat features
JaMrulezass
+47|6464|Hong Kong

Bertster7 wrote:

icecreamgod wrote:

NO!!!!!

Download the latest driver for 32-bit Vista, if you are running 32-bit Vista that is.

That list of features is only NEW features. It doesn't need to mention the support for the GTX BECAUSE IT ALREADY HAS IT!
Hahahahahahahahahaha! LMFAO.
[PTG]shogun
PS n00b & proud vista user
+44|6432
for the record a viable DX10 will NEVER EVER NEVER... come to XP

there are reasons for this i just cba to explain
Obiwan
Go Cards !!
+196|6694|The Ville
when I open up bf2 it asks me every damn time if I want to open it.. How do I turn that off ? I have the 32 bit version
max
Vela Incident
+1,652|6567|NYC / Hamburg

Obiwan wrote:

when I open up bf2 it asks me every damn time if I want to open it.. How do I turn that off ? I have the 32 bit version
turn off UAC like this
once upon a midnight dreary, while i pron surfed, weak and weary, over many a strange and spurious site of ' hot  xxx galore'. While i clicked my fav'rite bookmark, suddenly there came a warning, and my heart was filled with mourning, mourning for my dear amour, " 'Tis not possible!", i muttered, " give me back my free hardcore!"..... quoth the server, 404.
Naturn
Deeds, not words.
+311|6605|Greenwood, IN
Does anyone want anything else updated to the thread?  Its been a while and i'm not seeing much else.
ednodes
Part-time Owner
+12|6544|Bath
I jsut recently got vista and it looks good so far, however the fekin network settings are so confusing. I cant figure out how to create a LAN file sharing link between my two comps (ones on vista and the others on XP). My main confusion is; I am using a BT Home hub, i can surf the internet ok and when i download i reach speeds of about 800kbps but when i go to play BF2 straight afterwards i get pings of 400. To make sure it was not my connecion i retry with a different comp using teh same cable and my ping is fine - my guess is its damn vista.

Can anyone shed any light onto my situayion?
Bernadictus
+1,055|6737

ednodes wrote:

I jsut recently got vista and it looks good so far, however the fekin network settings are so confusing. I cant figure out how to create a LAN file sharing link between my two comps (ones on vista and the others on XP). My main confusion is; I am using a BT Home hub, i can surf the internet ok and when i download i reach speeds of about 800kbps but when i go to play BF2 straight afterwards i get pings of 400. To make sure it was not my connecion i retry with a different comp using teh same cable and my ping is fine - my guess is its damn vista.

Can anyone shed any light onto my situayion?
Downgrade or - as the PR lady in the new Apple commercial says - upgrade to a more familiar experience. BF2 was not build to work properly with Vista. Same old story as playing Windows 98SE games on XP.
B.Schuss
I'm back, baby... ( sort of )
+664|6841|Cologne, Germany

2 questions:

is there any use buying the 64-bit version of vista if games like BF and CoD4 don't make use of it ?

if I run a 64-bit CPU such as the AMD 64X2 6400+, is it better to have a 64-bit OS, too ?

not sure wether to get the 32-bit or the 64-bit version of my next OS
gvers
Bad at BF:BC2
+109|6672|The Real World

As far as the games go it does not hurt to have the 64-bit version.

I'd go with the 64-bit version if you have a 64-bit processor. If you have more than 3Gb RAM the 64-bit version will allow you to use it all the 32-bit version will not.
B.Schuss
I'm back, baby... ( sort of )
+664|6841|Cologne, Germany

well, I guess I'll go with vista 64 bit and 4 Gigs of RAM then
_j5689_
Dreads & Bergers
+364|6716|Riva, MD
What will happen in SP1?
ednodes
Part-time Owner
+12|6544|Bath

_j5689_ wrote:

What will happen in SP1?
it might actually start working.

basicaly bug fixes and reliability issues will be sorted out. dunno the details
Naturn
Deeds, not words.
+311|6605|Greenwood, IN
Updated!!!  I have another update very soon with SP1!
Naturn
Deeds, not words.
+311|6605|Greenwood, IN
Ok, I would like to say first off that many people are having issues with Vista if you post your question/problem here some of us can look into it.

Example problem...

The other day I could not get 3dmark06 installed for the life of me.  This was after the update from Microsoft that is... Ok, so some suggested it was openAL issues but I knew it was already installed.  So I said what the hell and installed it again.  It worked 3dmark06 installed just fine and it even fix my issues with R.O.S.E. Online.  You could not play the game in full screen mode.
Naturn
Deeds, not words.
+311|6605|Greenwood, IN
I LOVE this window preview.  The movie still runs even though your switching windows.

https://www.digital-sickness.net/Uploader/files/1/socool.jpg

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard