What is acceleration?

Acceleration is speeding up45%45% - 40
Acceleration is slowing down0%0% - 0
Acceleration is speeding up and slowing down54%54% - 47
Total: 87
A-Unit64
King Medic......
+23|6843
Meh, my gpa is good I guess... 4.25? would you think that is good?
Chemestry seems to be fun
JimmyBotswana
+82|6587|Montreal
stupidest post ever.

to a physicist slowing down is not accelerating it is decelerating. acceleration means a positive change in your speed, not a negative one.
A-Unit64
King Medic......
+23|6843
no you are just a dumbass
mattrsch
Yeah, that thing I said
+18|6636|Ames, IA

JimmyBotswana wrote:

stupidest post ever.

to a physicist slowing down is not accelerating it is decelerating. acceleration means a positive change in your speed, not a negative one.
not slowing down, accelerating in a direction opposite your velocity
JimmyBotswana
+82|6587|Montreal
ok there ace

people who live in glass dumbass houses shouldn't throw stones
{M5}Sniper3
Typical white person.
+389|6762|San Antonio, Texas

JimmyBotswana wrote:

stupidest post ever.

Deceleration = Negative acceleration.

mattrsch wrote:

not slowing down, accelerating in a direction opposite your velocity

JimmyBotswana wrote:

ok there ace

people who live in glass dumbass houses shouldn't throw stones
He is correct, and don't go off-topic with childish antics...

Last edited by {M5}Sniper3 (2007-01-30 20:51:04)

JimmyBotswana
+82|6587|Montreal
Deceleration

Deceleration results in the decrease in the "speed" of the moving body. Important is the term “speed” – not velocity. It is so because we can not attach the sense of decrease to velocity.

The “deceleration” is defined as the acceleration which is opposite to the velocity. This definition ensures that the speed of the moving object is decreasing with time.

In the nutshell, we summarize the discussion as :

-The “deceleration” is defined as the acceleration which is opposite to the velocity.

-Deceleration results in decrease in speed i.e magnitude of velocity.

-Deceleration is a concept applicable to the motion or component of motion, which is opposite to the direction of acceleration.

source: http://cnx.org/content/m13835/latest/
TuataraDude
+115|6524|Aotearoa

Miller wrote:

Both. You learn this in 7th Grade. Are you in 7th grade?
I didn't learn it in 7th grade. Assuming 7th grade means 7th year at school. But it was a long time ago for me. However, my gut instinct is both as well. Slowing down is just acceleration with a negative number as the answer.

Am I right?
Smithereener
+138|6317|California
Acceleration - Derivative of the Velocity
Speed - Absolute Value of Velocity
Negative Velocity - Movement in the opposite direction

For example, when a car is moving forward and then goes into reverse, it must first slow down, stop, and then change direction. This means it first had a + velocity, then the velocity began to decrease, and then it got a - velocity (reverse). Having a negative velocity does not equal a particle slowing down.

The Speed of a Particle increases when the both the velocity and acceleration are either increasing or decreasing. Furthermore, the Speed of a Particle decreases when the Acceleration is increasing and the velocity is decreasing, or vice versa.

i.e. - Let's look at a ship with both a sail and a motor. The motor can go both forward and backward. That is the velocity. The wind at sea is the acceleration. When the wind (acceleration) is going forward (positive/increasing acceleration) and the motor (velocity) is going in reverse (decreasing/negative), the ship slows down. It may still be moving forward, but it slows down.

Negative velocity does not translate into a negative acceleration. A negative velocity graphs below the x-axis. However, if the slope of the graph is increasing despite it being below the graph, the acceleration is increasing.

And I dunno if one would learn this in 7th grade.
Yaocelotl
:D
+221|6652|Keyboard

A-Unit64 wrote:

Meh, my gpa is good I guess... 4.25? would you think that is good?
Chemestry seems to be fun
4.25 and you don´t know how to type Chemistry? LIES....
Marconius
One-eyed Wonder Mod
+368|6696|San Francisco
The physics definition of acceleration, as opposed to the way it's used in common language, describes the rate of change of velocity over time.  Thus, it can be applied to the positive or negative acceleration of an object in motion.
Vub
The Power of Two
+188|6496|Sydney, Australia
Acceleration is a change in velocity over change in time, and that can mean both up or down. This is disputable though, over here the HSC (Higher School Certificate, you have to sit it to get into Uni) syllabus says speeding up is acceleration, but slowing down is "negative acceleration".
Titch2349
iz me!
+358|6354|uk

accelaration is both speeding up and slowing down

http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&am … mp;spell=1

The rate at which an object's velocity changes with time
i.e. changes is any way- either speeding up, or slowing down

---------

7th Grade? i learnt that in "year 11"

Last edited by Titch2349 (2007-01-31 04:12:19)

Jackabo
+127|6560|Dublin, Ireland
Acceleration is the increase in speed in a certain velocity over a certain period of time and is found like this:

Starting speed - Finishing speed
------------------------------------
               Time Taken
Defiance
+438|6673

This thread is retarded. A-Unit asked a question, and proceeded to bitch and a very mild joke (tougen up kiddo holy hell), then give an answer him/herself.

Either this was a "test" for the forums, or A_Unit is a dipshit. #2 FTW.

Acceleration can be slowing down, it's called negative acceleration.

A-Unit64 wrote:

Not if my teacher doesn't talk freakishly fast and explain things better and not assuming we can glue words to our brains and absorb all the info in about 20 seconds of explanation because we are all in honors.

* as you can see my teacher basically sucks*
Don't blame your teacher ever, for anything. I tried that and got bit in the ass many times by proverbial flesh eating piranhas.

Try reading a book, or reading outside the intarnets, to increase that comprehension you have trouble with.

And I learned acceleration at more at the end of my 7th grade year, and a more comprehensive unit in my 8th grade year.

Last edited by Defiance (2007-01-31 06:47:46)

Sydney
2λчиэλ
+783|6845|Reykjavík, Iceland.
Both, Acceleration can be 7ms^-2 just as well as -7ms^-2
heggs
Spamalamadingdong
+581|6390|New York
acceleration (derivative of velocity) = velocity/time (derivative of distance or position)= distance/time^2

a negative acceleration is deceleration by definition, the only difference between acceleration and deceleration is a negative sign. the nagative is giving you an idea of which direction this acceleration is acting in, relative to whatever point of reference you choose to define.

fyi, the derivative of acceleration is called jerk. Da/Dt or D^2v/Dt^2 or D^3s/Dt^3.

Last edited by heggs (2007-01-31 07:47:38)

Remember Me As A Time Of Day
SplinterStrike
Roamer
+250|6413|Eskimo land. AKA Canada.
AARRRGGG HOW CAN PEOPLE NOT COMPREHEND THIS!!!

Acceleration is the rate at which your speed changes, be it negative or positive. Therefore, acceleration is both going faster and going slower.

Say you throw a ball straight up in the air. Gravity makes it accelerate DOWNWARDS, which will slow and eventually end its upward movement. Deceleration as you call it, or negative acceleration as its properly known.
bennisboy
+829|6648|Poundland
You missed out the real answer acceleration is a change in velocity, velocity is a vector component i.e. it has direction as well as speed. So even if you stay at the same speed when turning a corner in a car you are accelerating. You accelerate when you go round a roundabout as well
Gfinners
+17|6305|Cornwall, England
Acceleration is speeding up, deceleration or negative acceleration is slowing down!

Last edited by Gfinners (2007-01-31 07:57:42)

Vilham
Say wat!?
+580|6768|UK
Scientifically its positive acceleration and negative acceleration, ie acceleration is just the change in speed over time.

English its acceleration for positive acceleration and deceleration for negative acceleration. It allows none scientific people to understand it.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard