Executiator
+69|6422
http://biz.gamedaily.com/industry/feature/?id=15040

Bungie wrote:

'We Screwed Up' Halo 2, says Bungie

Halo 2 was and is a great game, but it's certainly not perfect. Now developer Bungie is acknowledging that certain aspects of the game (most notably its ending) needed a lot more work. One employee even went so far as to say that Bungie "screwed up" on Halo 2.

It's hard to criticize a game that puts up $125 million in sales on its first day of availability and goes on to sell around 6.5 million copies worldwide, but for a lot of Xbox gamers, looking back at 2004's blockbuster adventure with Master Chief is frustrating because of the game's somewhat lackluster ending. In hindsight, developer Bungie agrees.

In a fantastic article on the inner workings of the Microsoft-owned studio, Edge Online cites technical lead Chris Butcher on the irritating fact that Bungie just ran out of time on Halo 2. "We had about four to five weeks to polish Halo at the end. No more than that. And that last five per cent is responsible for 30 per cent of the success of the game, or more. That's the period in which we really had a perfect storm," he said. "The team was all there, everything was working great, the Xbox hardware was finally there and good, and we just were able to relentlessly execute on that. The entire game came together within that four- to six-week period.

Butcher continued, "One of the things that stuns me when I think about it, and I can't believe this is true - we had none of that for Halo 2. Take that polish period and completely get rid of it. We miscalculated, we screwed up, we came down to the wire and we just lost all of that. So Halo 2 is far less than it could and should be in many ways because of that. It kills me to think of it. Even the multiplayer experience for Halo 2 is a pale shadow of what it could and should have been if we had gotten the timing of our schedule right. It's astounding to me. I f***ing cannot play Halo 2 multiplayer. I cannot do it. And that's why I know Halo 3 is going to be so much better."

Writer and community officer Frank O'Connor agreed completely that Halo 2's ending just wasn't satisfactory. "We drove off Thelma & Louise style," he said, adding, "The trick is to avoid designing or writing by committee. You have to take what's best from the input you're getting and not have it turn into that too many cooks situation."

Butcher and Bungie composer Marty O'Donnell also shed some light on Bungie's existence as a Microsoft studio and their relationship with the parent company. "The concept that Bungie wouldn't have a launch title for the Xbox 360 was almost impossible to conceive of," remarked O'Donnell. "That was really hard for the suits to swallow, it was like, no no no, we have to have a Bungie launch title. But I remember saying that there's nothing better than for Bungie not to be able to have a launch title, and for Bungie not to be defining the Xbox 360. I know it's scary for everybody, but it's not scary for us. We make games. We don't ship platforms. We don't push platforms. As soon as we think that that's what we're about, as soon as we think that Bungie's a platform company, we are, in my opinion, doomed."

Butcher fully backed O'Donnell's sentiments: "Even through the Microsoft acquisition, Bungie's purpose is not to make money for Microsoft and support the platform. Bungie's purpose is to make great stuff."
Quite frankly, I agree.

What are your guys' thought on the matter?
d3v1ldr1v3r13
Satan's disciple on Earth.
+160|6686|Hell's prison
Get everyone worked up about Halo 3 by saying 2 wasnt what "they wanted".  Sounds to me like a marketing ploy.  And yes I am a Halo fan.  Halo 2 was still fun.
Executiator
+69|6422

d3v1ldr1v3r13 wrote:

Get everyone worked up about Halo 3 by saying 2 wasnt what "they wanted".  Sounds to me like a marketing ploy.  And yes I am a Halo fan.  Halo 2 was still fun.
That's a good point, I never thought of that. +1
unholypoo
unholy what?
+10|6382
I still have not played 2, so I have no real opinion on it(don't own an xbox), but some of the screens for halo3 I've seen look nice.
Goven
/̵͇̿̿/'̿'̿ ̿
+125|6482|Purdue
Halo 3 is going to be great. I wouldn't really say that "Bungie screwed up," though. Sure, the game could've been a lot more than what it was, but even so, it's a great game. The story line is great, but the ending sucks, so what. Multiplayer is a blast. Matchmaking is great, they update a lot. Custom games, like zombie, swat, or destruction derby is even better in my opinion. I've personally moved on to other games, like Gears of War. Waiting for Crackdown to come out :]. I still play every once in a while, like with my friends when we just wanna play something we all have.
Jbrar
rawr
+86|6543|Winterpeg, Canada
Halo 2 had the shittiest ending one could ever come up with... like master chief being sent to Earth, but then just ending it there was bullshit. Rest of the game was good, mulitplayer on xbox live was lacking as well though.
RavyGravy
Son.
+617|6407|NSW, Australia

i liked halo 2, although they did cut out some good features from halo 1
Cubanpenguin
+35|6679|Kingston, Canada
I think Halo is very overrated, it is a decent game but it's deffintly not as good as everyone seems to think it is.
Roger Lesboules
Ah ben tabarnak!
+316|6578|Abitibi-Temiscamingue. Québec!
Well they say that they "screwed" it but i still loved it and never tho it was screwed in any ways....now im wondering....what will halo 3 gonna look like in-game...seen movie preview but well....no actual in-game footage.
Unclean009
Da Dirty Man!
+66|6653|Spokane, Washington

I just had to mention this......

Now we have to somehow get EA to admit that they screwed up BF2
iNeedUrFace4Soup
fuck it
+348|6547
Halo was a good FPS title for hyping xbox and thats about it. All the people I knew that only had consoles got all excited over it and I didn't care because I was busy playing Half-Life and Unreal Tournament for PC which blew Halo out of the water before it was even released.
https://i.imgur.com/jM2Yp.gif
Heavy_Guns_91
I hand out purple hearts like candy
+72|6404|Alberta, Canada

Cubanpenguin wrote:

I think Halo is very overrated, it is a decent game but it's deffintly not as good as everyone seems to think it is.
QFT.
Volatile
+252|6705|Sextupling in Empire

Jbrar wrote:

Halo 2 had the shittiest ending one could ever come up with... like master chief being sent to Earth, but then just ending it there was bullshit. Rest of the game was good, mulitplayer on xbox live was lacking as well though.
Seriously, when it ended abruptly I was like, "WTF?! It's ending right there?" I felt like a tool for having rented an Xbox and the game just to get that bullshit.

Oh, and by "renting" I mean purchasing from Walmart and returning it(refund) after I was done.
Reciprocity
+721|6582|the dank(super) side of Oregon
it's just marketing.
FFLink
There is.
+1,380|6692|Devon, England
I loved Halo 2, and I still do! I still play it on Legendary and with my mates, having a laugh, owning them. The ending in my opinion wasn't bad, and of anything it will just make that beginning Halo 3 video that more amazing

Man, I can't wait for Halo 3...

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard