dubbs
+105|6784|Lexington, KY

cospengle wrote:

Has anyone here tried a Zboard?

DoctorFruitloop wrote:

Anybodykillz wrote:

Am I the only one with a Z-board

dubbs wrote:

I like my Zboard since the layout is spaced out, there is less chance of hitting the wrong key when playing.
I'm willing to bet "NO", do people even read the rest of the thread anymore?

I've thought long and hard over a G15 and I don't think I can justify paying that much money for a keyboard. BF blocks the macros from a G15 so you can't use them, and although the screen is nice I just can't see when I would spend time looking at it.

I know the illumination on the G15 is very good compared to the eclipse but as stated, who spends their time looking down at the keyboard?

EDIT: Beaten to it by Max
======================================================================

DoctorFruitloop wrote:

I've tried a Z-board, it felt so plasticy and cheap that it didn't leave the store with me. Not worth the money IMHO.
The default keyboards, the one that come with it out of the box do feel cheap, but the actual inserts are not that bad.
DoctorFruitloop
Level 13 Wrongdoer
+515|6698|Doncaster, UK

dubbs wrote:

DoctorFruitloop wrote:

I've tried a Z-board, it felt so plasticy and cheap that it didn't leave the store with me. Not worth the money IMHO.
The default keyboards, the one that come with it out of the box do feel cheap, but the actual inserts are not that bad.
That could have been it then, but just first impressions were that it was poorly made. It's a shame there isn't somewhere that has all of their mouse and keyboards out on display so that you can actually get an idea of how they feel.
TheEternalPessimist
Wibble
+412|6772|Mhz

Razer Tarantula > *

EDIT: Linky.

Last edited by TheEternalPessimist (2007-01-24 03:40:15)

DoctorFruitloop
Level 13 Wrongdoer
+515|6698|Doncaster, UK
Just been looking at the tarantula. Is it genuinely good or is it just another gaming gimmick?
TheEternalPessimist
Wibble
+412|6772|Mhz

DoctorFruitloop wrote:

Just been looking at the tarantula. Is it genuinely good or is it just another gaming gimmick?
Well my bro has a G15 and it's shit in comparison to the Razer frankly. I had a £10 Logitech keyboard, it's the same as the G15. G15 = gimmick, as your basically paying for a screen on a standard keyboard.
max
Vela Incident
+1,652|6719|NYC / Hamburg

DoctorFruitloop wrote:

as i already mentioned further up i'm also interested in the tarantula. seeing as i need to buy a new keyboard anyhow (my mum needs a new one, so i might as well give her my one), it makes sense to get a quality one. the few reviews i saw are all very positive towards it. any one have hands on experience?
once upon a midnight dreary, while i pron surfed, weak and weary, over many a strange and spurious site of ' hot  xxx galore'. While i clicked my fav'rite bookmark, suddenly there came a warning, and my heart was filled with mourning, mourning for my dear amour, " 'Tis not possible!", i muttered, " give me back my free hardcore!"..... quoth the server, 404.
TheEternalPessimist
Wibble
+412|6772|Mhz

max wrote:

DoctorFruitloop wrote:

as i already mentioned further up i'm also interested in the tarantula. seeing as i need to buy a new keyboard anyhow (my mum needs a new one, so i might as well give her my one), it makes sense to get a quality one. the few reviews i saw are all very positive towards it. any one have hands on experience?
Yup me lol, it's fkin expensive but it looks classy, specially when it's next to a Copperhead mouse. Keys are perfectly weighted, held every key i could on the keyboard down and it didn't lock up (your average keyboard locks up after 5), its got an expansion slot thing on the top for add ons, only got the UV light and camera thing ATM but there's more stuff being made for it (probably a G15-esque LCD screen at some point), BF2/2142 doesn't block it's macros so you can use those if you want, every key can be re-bound to another key, e.g you can make 'e' into 'm', pull the keys off and swap em round, there's replacement key sets for it with weapon logos on them to highlight the important stuff (they're blue so it's easier to differentiate them), can set up 100 different profiles, can store 5 of them in the keyboards on-board memory so you can take it round a friends, load the profile and presto all your controls are set up straight away.
Drykill
I Like Waffles.
+47|6844|England
I have a G15 and I love it. I find the LCD screen very useful and the backlit key are very clear. The keys are fairly soft and are a lot quieter than other keyboards I've used. The 'G' keys are handy too, I use them to start up programs such as email, msn, winamp, internet etc.
The LCD screen has to be the most useful part of it though. When in game it allows you to see what your listening to, change the volume of the system or media player select a specific track, see who's joined or talking in teamspeak, time (I don't have a watch:P), temperatures, system performance, fps in game (FRAPS counter might be in the way of something so put it on the LCD screen), xfire chat window and see which of your bf2 buddies is online and in which server.
And didn't suffer any performance loss since installing it and I don't have an amazing system either.

So I don't regret purchasing a G15
Sisco
grandmaster league revivalist
+493|6495
G15. Just kickass, well worth the bucks. Dont want to go without anymore. Ever. Everever.
https://www.abload.de/img/bf3-bf2ssig0250wvn.jpg
aardfrith
Δ > x > ¥
+145|6944
G15 for me too.  I only ever use the 2142 and TS screens on the LCD but it's that small display that makes all the difference.

Backlit is only useful when the light bulb in my living room blows and that's about once every 5 years.  Macro keys.. well, you know BF games block them.  The keys feel like computer keys, like any other keyboard I've used including the shitty Compaq one at work.  Multimedia keys?  No thanks.  Never used them, never will.

It's just the LCD screen I wanted.  EDIT: Was it worth 40 quid?  Probably.

In the UK it's £24 more than the Eclipse.  I needed a new keyboard because the last one broke when I threw it against the wall (strange how keyboards don't take trauma well) so there you go.  The LCD screen is definitely worth £24.

Last edited by aardfrith (2007-01-24 04:43:49)

Sydney
2λчиэλ
+783|6995|Reykjavík, Iceland.
10 year old coffee stained something ftw!
Stormscythe
Aiming for the head
+88|6701|EUtopia | Austria
Try to get a high-quality cherry keyboard if you really wanna spend some cash, they really rock. Standard layout ftw!
scottomus0
Teh forum ghey!
+172|6789|Wigan. Manchester. England.
My keyboard is about 5 years old, stains all over it, crumbs all inside. Ive only kept it becasue most keyboards these days are black and i prefer white lol.

I am looking at the saiteks though.
Archer
rapes face
+161|6576|Canuckistan
You don't need any fancy shit. Trust me.

The only gaming thing you might need is a mouse, and that is all.

It's a keyboard, it has buttons, who the fuck cares for backlight and other stuff?
OmniDeath
~
+726|6796

the tarantula doesnt seem all that great especially for the price....
Flaming_Maniac
prince of insufficient light
+2,490|6859|67.222.138.85
I love my G15, more so for the macros than the screen, but the screen is also very useful. I use all 18 keys in a combination of some keys that I can reach while gaming for gaming, for things like changing views in a chopper when I'm flying, but mostly for opening applications on my desktop. I can open every single application I use daily with the click of the button, and that helped me get to an icon-less desktop.

A lot of people without a G15 don't see how the lcd is useful since many games don't support it, but that isn't what I would use it for anyways. Why do you need to see how much health you have, or how many grenades you have when you can check on your normal display as you do now? It's not like it feeds you different information. The only BF2 app i ever used, and that for not very long, I used only to see my rank on the server, but usually forgot to check it. The real use for the lcd in my opinion comes in with the other applications. It has a nice email display that you can put your pop3 account into and check your mail without opening your mail, and it will tell you when you get a new mail. the clock is also very useful to me when gaming, I can turn out the lights and not worry about what time it is because I can't see a clock. Lastly there is a great TS application you can use to tell you where you are, who's talking, etc. Not something too useful when you're on your typical TS, but when you get on a new TS it's invaluable in helping to get to know people's names.
TheEternalPessimist
Wibble
+412|6772|Mhz

Omnideath wrote:

You've obviously never used one , it's got features coming out it's arse. Yes it is grossly over priced tho I agree (I still paid it and don't regret it).
The Stillhouse Kid
Licensed Televulcanologist
+126|6794|Deep In The South Of Texas
I've got a G11. I liked the G15, but saw no need for the LCD screen. I've not noticed any performance hit over my old Logitech Elite board. Some people have complained about the G series being too big, and the key spacing being odd, but I've found that it has actually helped my typing! Though the keys do make more noise, I hardly ever notice because I've usually got headphones on or my speakers cranked up.
MagikTrik
yes.....but your still gay
+138|6522|Pittsburgh, PA USA
I know it's not a keyboard but I was just thinking.....have you seen an n52 yet?
If all your gonna do is game with it then just get one of those, I don't care what anybody says, I have proof it helps. http://bf2s.com/player/81877795/history/KDR/ Look at November 10th, it's when I really started playing alot but it's also when I setup my n52.

Belkin Nostromo n52 linkage: http://catalog.belkin.com/IWCatProductP … _Id=157024

*Edit:* It's also cheaper than a gaming keyboard & sped my work in Photoshop up too.

Last edited by MagikTrik (2007-01-24 07:47:53)

OmniDeath
~
+726|6796

TheEternalPessimist wrote:

Omnideath wrote:

You've obviously never used one , it's got features coming out it's arse. Yes it is grossly over priced tho I agree (I still paid it and don't regret it).
no, i havent, but the reviews dont make me want to dish out a hundred dollars for it.
The Stillhouse Kid
Licensed Televulcanologist
+126|6794|Deep In The South Of Texas
I used to have a Nostromo N52 and they're kick-ass, but mine died and that's why I got the G11. I was looking to get a new keyboard too and so I killed two birds with one stone. I'm surprised Belkin hasn't come out with a new version, but then again if it ain't broke don't fix it.
KylieTastic
Games, Girls, Guinness
+85|6604|Cambridge, UK

..teddy..jimmy wrote:

My sexy original dell keyboard which I got for free.
silo1180
The Farewell Tour
+79|6574|San Antonio, TX
I use this MS keyboard http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/mouse … px?pid=078

But mine is for Windows, not MAC.  It's cool because I use so many of the hotkeys for work.  Love being wireless too!
TheEternalPessimist
Wibble
+412|6772|Mhz

Omnideath wrote:

TheEternalPessimist wrote:

Omnideath wrote:

no, i havent, but the reviews dont make me want to dish out a hundred dollars for it.
No point commenting on summin you've never used, it'd be like me saying that n52 thing isn't worth it when I haven't even seen one in use, and reviews for the most part are bought and thus useless, Alienware have been doing it for ages for example. Still agree it's too much cash, but if you've got the moneh you might as well get the best.

EDIT: Another option from Razer.

I'm not too sure what to make of this one 'tis a MS/Razer collaboration job to pair with the Habu Mouse they both worked on not long ago.

Last edited by TheEternalPessimist (2007-01-24 09:25:53)

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard