Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6600|132 and Bush

There is undoubtedly a world where the Intel Core 2 Duo reigns supreme, but in the world of gaming that power is not near as apparent. We again see games remain very GPU dependent, but the GeForce 8800 series of GPU is allowing us to begin to see the Core 2 Duo flex its muscle. One thing is for sure. If you are building a gaming system, your big money is better spent on your video cards than your processor as you are never likely to see any true differences in your gaming experiences without a hugely powerful GPU. If you do however have the alpha-male of video card(s), Intel’s Core 2 Duo can provide you with a better gaming experience.

From our experiences playing at 2560x1600 on the Dell 3007WFP 30” LCD with two BFGTech GeForce 8800 GTXs in SLI we can definitely see a trend. Quite simply the AMD Athlon 64 FX-62 is bottlenecking the 8800 GTX SLI to varying degrees. In Flight Simulator X and Medieval II: Total War we find it bottlenecking SLI to a very high degree. The Intel Core 2 Duo X6800 allowed us to obtain “free” 8X AA on the BFGTech GeForce 8800 GTX SLI in Flight Simulator X and also run at the “Medium High” scenery setting. With the AMD Athlon 64 FX-62 we had to lower the AA setting to 2X AA and reduce the scenery settings.

https://i1.tinypic.com/2eo8ta0.jpg
http://enthusiast.hardocp.com/image.htm … 8zX2wuZ2lm

http://enthusiast.hardocp.com/article.h … VzaWFzdA==
Xbone Stormsurgezz
Stormscythe
Aiming for the head
+88|6548|EUtopia | Austria
Does this surprise us?
The FX-62 is sadly still the newest available cpu from AMD while the X6800 has already found a successor (not in it's league, though).
Core 2 simply owns big time.
CrazeD
+368|6672|Maine
FX-72 anyone?
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6715

CrazeD wrote:

FX-72 anyone?
Comparing a Quad core to a Dual core?
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
Marlboroman82
Personal philosophy: Clothing optional.
+1,022|6622|Camp XRay

cyborg_ninja-117 wrote:

CrazeD wrote:

FX-72 anyone?
yea you got a problem with that?
https://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l250/marlboroman82/Untitled-8.png
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6715

Marlboroman82 wrote:

cyborg_ninja-117 wrote:

CrazeD wrote:

FX-72 anyone?
Then lets compare a FX72 with a QX6700
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
^*AlphA*^
F*ckers
+3,135|6737|The Hague, Netherlands

cyborg_ninja-117 wrote:

Marlboroman82 wrote:

cyborg_ninja-117 wrote:

Then lets compare a FX72 with a QX6700
and now in English,,,,
https://bf3s.com/sigs/36eac2cb6af70a43508fd8d1c93d3201f4e23435.png
Agent_Dung_Bomb
+302|6735|Salt Lake City

At this point a faster video card will still pay off more often than a faster CPU.  However, I think that will change in a shorter time frame than many think.  While I don't think we will see multi-threaded games coming out any time soon, I see developers instead shifting specific tasks to a dedicated core in multi-core processors.

Initially I see them shifting physics or AI (most likely physics) to the second core on dual core chips.  As quad cores become more common it gets even better.  Physics on one, AI on another, triangle setup on the 3rd, and the sound engine processing can remain on the same core that the OS runs, as this is the least demanding of these tasks.
Bertster7
Confused Pothead
+1,101|6580|SE London

Agent_Dung_Bomb wrote:

At this point a faster video card will still pay off more often than a faster CPU.  However, I think that will change in a shorter time frame than many think.  While I don't think we will see multi-threaded games coming out any time soon, I see developers instead shifting specific tasks to a dedicated core in multi-core processors.

Initially I see them shifting physics or AI (most likely physics) to the second core on dual core chips.  As quad cores become more common it gets even better.  Physics on one, AI on another, triangle setup on the 3rd, and the sound engine processing can remain on the same core that the OS runs, as this is the least demanding of these tasks.
While I'm sure there will be massive improvements in multi-threading for games, I thought more development was going into shifting physics to run on a second or even third GPU.
aardfrith
Δ > x > ¥
+145|6791

Agent_Dung_Bomb wrote:

I was under the impression that some games currently available were optimised for multi-threading.  One name that keeps popping in my head is Quake 4.  Sure you can run it on a single core processor but multi-cores get better performance.

Or do you mean something different?
CrazeD
+368|6672|Maine

cyborg_ninja-117 wrote:

CrazeD wrote:

FX-72 anyone?
FX-72 = dual core.
GC_PaNzerFIN
Work and study @ Technical Uni
+528|6413|Finland

QUAD FTW!

offtopic: new sig betatesting in progress...
3930K | H100i | RIVF | 16GB DDR3 | GTX 480 | AX750 | 800D | 512GB SSD | 3TB HDD | Xonar DX | W8
Stormscythe
Aiming for the head
+88|6548|EUtopia | Austria

CrazeD wrote:

cyborg_ninja-117 wrote:

CrazeD wrote:

FX-72 anyone?
FX-72 = dual core.
But not really much better than a FX-62... Or is it better at all?
Isn't this just the equivalent to the FX-62 just for a 4x4 platform?

So many questions and no idea ^^
CrazeD
+368|6672|Maine

Stormscythe wrote:

CrazeD wrote:

cyborg_ninja-117 wrote:

FX-72 = dual core.

Now that you bring it up...

Looks to be the same specs as the FX-62, although it's about 200$ cheaper lol. I've never looked before, assumed the FX-72 would be faster than a lesser model.
GC_PaNzerFIN
+528|6413|Finland

I heard they sell two FX-72s in about the price of one for the new socket 4x4, lmao
3930K | H100i | RIVF | 16GB DDR3 | GTX 480 | AX750 | 800D | 512GB SSD | 3TB HDD | Xonar DX | W8
Mitch
16 more years
+877|6524|South Florida

aardfrith wrote:

Agent_Dung_Bomb wrote:

I was under the impression that some games currently available were optimised for multi-threading.  One name that keeps popping in my head is Quake 4.  Sure you can run it on a single core processor but multi-cores get better performance.

I have a single core 2.0 ghz AMD and i run Quake 4 on Ultra High with one of the highest reso's. My vid is the geforce 7800gt oc
15 more years! 15 more years!
GC_PaNzerFIN
+528|6413|Finland

http://enthusiast.hardocp.com/article.h … RodXNpYXN0   here are the facts about FX-74 socket F CPUs ppl. It's 3GHz btw

Last edited by [69th_GFH]GC_PaNzerFIN (2007-01-23 10:04:49)

Agent_Dung_Bomb
+302|6735|Salt Lake City

aardfrith wrote:

Agent_Dung_Bomb wrote:

First let me clarify the difference.  Multi-threading is where a program can spawn multiple, simultaneous threads that can be shared across more than one processor.  So in essence think of this as having AI, physics, triangle setup, and audio processing all being worked on by all of the available cores because you have a program that has spawned multiple threads.  In other words, all of the cores are sharing the work of all tasks.  What I am talking about is different.  The games are still single threaded applications, but specific functions of the game have been split out so that a core of the CPU is dedicated to its function.  They are not the same thing.

While I can't comment on Quake 4, games like Crysis, Supreme Commander, and Alan Wake will address the use of multi-core CPUs in this fashion.
MagikTrik
yes.....but your still gay
+138|6370|Pittsburgh, PA USA
Me just bought an FX-62 a week ago & reading this today = sad Magik

Didn't have much of a choice though when building my system via "Alien (steal your money & kill your rebate) ware". I'm still happy with my system though, at least when it performs.

Obviously everything right now is gonna bottleneck "The Alpha Male of video cards" (i like that) but it's cool to actually see how much each CPU does it.

+1 even though you made me cry
sgt_mango333
+31|6651

CrazeD wrote:

Stormscythe wrote:

CrazeD wrote:

FX-72 = dual core.

Looks to be the same specs as the FX-62, although it's about 200$ cheaper lol. I've never looked before, assumed the FX-72 would be faster than a lesser model.
FX-72 refers to AMD's quad core solution which isn't much different than Intel's.  The only difference is that Intel has the technology to include both cores on one die, but they still utilize the FSB to talk to each other.  Still, the FX-72 is hella expensive to configure compared to the same QX6800 config.  And the mem config is cool but wonky in the AMD system; each CPU has to have two channels.  So if you want two gig of ram you have to go with 4 512mb sticks...better to just go 4 gig in anticipation of Vista.  On top of this it consumes a crazy amount of power.  If you're planning on running SLI with a pair of 8800's, you'll need a minimum of 1kw PSU to power the beast.

As it is the FX-72 platform still doesn't outperform the QX6800.  The platform is an enthusiast solution and has future upgrade potential that is very interesting.  Intel and AMD will both be producing true quad core CPU's by the end of the summer/early fall and you will be able to drop a pair of the AMD quad cores into the same MB the FX-72's are using for an Octo core platform.  Even this isn't a great upgrade though since few software apps will be using more than 2 threads at that time.

I have been an AMD fanboy since the early days and hate to turn my back on the company in favor of Intel silicon.  But Intel has addressed all of the shortcomings between the chips - price, performance, heat, and availability.  It will be interesting to see what AMD comes up with, but I don't see it gaining the title back any time soon due to Intel's current architecture based on 45nm process.
Bertster7
Confused Pothead
+1,101|6580|SE London

sgt_mango333 wrote:

CrazeD wrote:

Stormscythe wrote:

FX-72 refers to AMD's quad core solution which isn't much different than Intel's.  The only difference is that Intel has the technology to include both cores on one die, but they still utilize the FSB to talk to each other.  Still, the FX-72 is hella expensive to configure compared to the same QX6800 config.  And the mem config is cool but wonky in the AMD system; each CPU has to have two channels.  So if you want two gig of ram you have to go with 4 512mb sticks...better to just go 4 gig in anticipation of Vista.  On top of this it consumes a crazy amount of power.  If you're planning on running SLI with a pair of 8800's, you'll need a minimum of 1kw PSU to power the beast.

As it is the FX-72 platform still doesn't outperform the QX6800.  The platform is an enthusiast solution and has future upgrade potential that is very interesting.  Intel and AMD will both be producing true quad core CPU's by the end of the summer/early fall and you will be able to drop a pair of the AMD quad cores into the same MB the FX-72's are using for an Octo core platform.  Even this isn't a great upgrade though since few software apps will be using more than 2 threads at that time.

I have been an AMD fanboy since the early days and hate to turn my back on the company in favor of Intel silicon.  But Intel has addressed all of the shortcomings between the chips - price, performance, heat, and availability.  It will be interesting to see what AMD comes up with, but I don't see it gaining the title back any time soon due to Intel's current architecture based on 45nm process.
You can already drop two quad core Xeon CPUs (clovertown core, or something like that) into the same mobo (socket 771) for 8 core performance.
GC_PaNzerFIN
+528|6413|Finland

Bertster7 wrote:

sgt_mango333 wrote:

CrazeD wrote:

You can already drop two quad core Xeon CPUs (clovertown core, or something like that) into the same mobo (socket 771) for 8 core performance.
yep, i posted it but it costs like diamonds
Bertster7
Confused Pothead
+1,101|6580|SE London

[69th_GFH]GC_PaNzerFIN wrote:

Bertster7 wrote:

sgt_mango333 wrote:

yep, i posted it but it costs like diamonds
You'd be suprised how cheap it is in comparison to some of these other rigs. You can build a rig like that for about $6500, less than some Alienware and Falcon NW PCs.
Fredrik
i hate you all
+201|6648|Norway
ah... Good thing i ordered this system:
https://www.komplett.no/k/ci.asp?sku=10238
Bertster7
Confused Pothead
+1,101|6580|SE London

Fredrik wrote:

ah... Good thing i ordered this system:
https://www.komplett.no/k/ci.asp?sku=10238
That's pretty nice. Shame the RAM isn't 800MHz and not the best MB ever, but nevertheless, nice.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard