BVC
+325|6721
http://dsc.discovery.com/news/2007/01/1 … gory=space
-----
China Successfully Tests Space Weapon
Irene Klotz, Discovery News

Jan. 18, 2007 — China last week successfully tested a system that can destroy spacecraft, sending notice to the United States that it will not be the only country to be able to protect its satellites and spacecraft in orbit.

The Chinese test, which will be reported in next week's issue of Aviation Week and Space Technology, is believed to have occurred on Jan. 11. The magazine will report that a ballistic missile was fired from or near China's Xichang Space Center and that it successfully destroyed an old Chinese weather satellite as it flew about 530 miles above the planet.

U.S. officials have expressed concern over the test.

"The U.S. believes China's development and testing of such weapons is inconsistent with the spirit of cooperation that both countries aspire to in the civil space area," National Security Council spokesman Gordon Johndroe said. "We and other countries have expressed our concern regarding this action to the Chinese."

The United States has not gone so far as to blow up a satellite in orbit. It has, however, flown spacecraft that can autonomously reach targets in orbit, such as defunct satellites and spent upper stage rocket bodies.

The Bush Administration also removed prohibitions against anti-satellite tests in space last year when it revised the country's National Space Policy, setting the stage for more advanced orbital demonstrations.

"Obviously we have a lot to lose and really nothing to gain from allowing space to become weaponized," said Leonor Tomero, a policy analyst at the Center for Arms Control and Non-Proliferation in Washington, D.C.

"If China testing an ASAT (anti-satellite) weapon is confirmed, then there will be an arms race in space if we allow this to happen," Tomero added. "It's hard to tell if China is doing this as a result of U.S. policy, but we do know the current administration's position in space will do nothing to help prevent the militarization of space."

For now, U.S. agencies are scrambling to uncover details of China's test and map space debris left in its wake. The White House on Thursday expressed its concerns about the Chinese anti-satellite test, saying it was throwback to another era.

"It certainly shows they have a new capability and they're willing to test it, said Joan Johnson Freese, a noted space policy expert who heads the Naval War College's National Security Studies department.

"It's not a leap-frog over anything the U.S. hasn't done," she said, adding, "It is surprising that they have a willingness to test it."
Bertster7
Confused Pothead
+1,101|6607|SE London

I regard the US criticism of the Chinese conducting these weapons tests as extremely hypocritical.
UON
Junglist Massive
+223|6679
I also believe that perhaps such a policy which specifies that no-one but the United States may defend their interests in space is extremely hypocritical.

...so is this the civilised version of the drop your cocks thread?

Last edited by UON (2007-01-18 15:39:39)

Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6626|132 and Bush

Bertster7 wrote:

I regard the US criticism of the Chinese conducting these weapons tests as extremely hypocritical.
We should be more concerned with the espionage they have been conducting against us for the last 15 years.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
Commie Killer
+192|6412
oug
Calmer than you are.
+380|6544|Πάϊ

Bertster7 wrote:

ƒ³
Bertster7
Confused Pothead
+1,101|6607|SE London

Kmarion wrote:

Bertster7 wrote:

We should be more concerned with the espionage they have been conducting against us for the last 15 years.
Absolutely. That's a valid concern.

It's just the 'We can develop whatever weapons we like but no one else can (except perhaps NATO members or Israel)' attitude that I disagree with.
CameronPoe
+2,925|6581
Somebody pass a resolution. Oh wait - China are on the security council....
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6626|132 and Bush

CameronPoe wrote:

That was the response I was going to make to Bertster. It's seems like it is those on the security council that really gets the free ride.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
Bertster7
Confused Pothead
+1,101|6607|SE London

Kmarion wrote:

CameronPoe wrote:

That was the response I was going to make to Bertster. It's seems like it is those on the security council that really gets the free ride.
It's a good point.

But then you could say Israel are sort of on the security council by proxy (US) and that any NATO members who are not on the security council will be fine testing weapons, if they wanted to.

No one else is allowed weapons.
Major_Spittle
Banned
+276|6680|United States of America
Thank you Bill Clinton.
Stingray24
Proud member of the vast right-wing conspiracy
+1,060|6470|The Land of Scott Walker
codeseven.spitfire
+5|6346|Margaritaville

Bertster7 wrote:

You can say that again, when will the bastards stop underminding the rest of the world.
.:XDR:.PureFodder
+105|6855
Seriously, anti satellite weapon technology is about as low tech as it get (well obviously the actual missile is quite high tech).

a) Find out the orbital path of the satellite you want to destroy.
b) Load a rocket with a payload consisting of absolutely loads of ball bearings.
c) Fly the rocket somewhere near the oribtal path of the satellite you want to kill and release the ball bearings.
d) Wait for the sattelite to annihilate itself on the next pass.
e) If the satellite manages to get itself through the ball bearing cloud, just wait till the next pass etc.

No lasers, no particle cannons, no ultra accurate missiles. China's already announced this weapon system exists at least 5 years ago much to the dismay of the US. Whether this is the same thing I've no idea, but why mess with such a brilliant low tech weapon?
herrr_smity
+156|6653|space command ur anus

.:XDR:.PureFodder wrote:

Seriously, anti satellite weapon technology is about as low tech as it get (well obviously the actual missile is quite high tech).

b) Load a rocket with a payload consisting of absolutely loads of ball bearings.
c) Fly the rocket somewhere near the oribtal path of the satellite you want to kill and release the ball bearings.
e) If the satellite manages to get itself through the ball bearing cloud, just wait till the next pass etc.

No lasers, no particle cannons, no ultra accurate missiles. China's already announced this weapon system exists at least 5 years ago much to the dismay of the US. Whether this is the same thing I've no idea, but why mess with such a brilliant low tech weapon?
not to shite on your parade here BUT hitting a target in space not as low tech as you seem to believe
.:XDR:.PureFodder
+105|6855

herrr_smity wrote:

not to shite on your parade here BUT hitting a target in space not as low tech as you seem to believe
The point of this type of weapon system is that it has an effective area of over a square kilometre whereas lasers etc. actuall have to hit the target. Also as the sattelite repeatedly orbits roughly the same path and the ball bearing are moving around the chances of getting a successful hit are way higher. A missile going off  half a kilometer away is simply an expensive `miss`.
To hit anything with lasers or missiles requires not only for you to hit the right volume of space, but to hit it at the exact moment that the satellite is occupying that region of space. That's why missiles and lasers require a much more high tech guidance package compaired to a relatively `dumb` cloud of mass type weapon.
herrr_smity
+156|6653|space command ur anus

herrr_smity wrote:

The point of this type of weapon system is that it has an effective area of over a square kilometre whereas lasers etc. actuall have to hit the target. Also as the sattelite repeatedly orbits roughly the same path and the ball bearing are moving around the chances of getting a successful hit are way higher. A missile going off  half a kilometer away is simply an expensive `miss`.
To hit anything with lasers or missiles requires not only for you to hit the right volume of space, but to hit it at the exact moment that the satellite is occupying that region of space. That's why missiles and lasers require a much more high tech guidance package compaired to a relatively `dumb` cloud of mass type weapon.
were do you have these ballbearings from, you do know that the chines has satellites in space so any use of ballbearings to take out an enemy satellite will only endanger their own satellites
usmarine2007
Banned
+374|6392|Columbus, Ohio
Charlie don't surf!!!!!

https://www.kinoweb.de/film2001/ApocalypseNowRedux/pix/anx32_L.jpg
sfarrar33
Halogenoalkane
+57|6644|InGerLand
hmmm why is the US scared? what does china have to gain from attacking the US?
considering most things anyone buys from anywhere will have the words 'made in china' printed on them, surely an attack on the US would damage the chinese economy?
I think china is just defending itself against the US, as the US does have a reputation for invading countries on human rights grounds (as well as a lot of others) and china doesn't have the best track record it doesn't seem to be a stupid thing to do.
Bubbalo
The Lizzard
+541|6587

Kmarion wrote:

Bertster7 wrote:

Whilst the US doesn't even peek at them, of course.
sfarrar33
Halogenoalkane
+57|6644|InGerLand

Bubbalo wrote:

Kmarion wrote:

Bertster7 wrote:

get google earth and peek at both
Bubbalo
The Lizzard
+541|6587

sfarrar33 wrote:

Bubbalo wrote:

Kmarion wrote:

get google earth and peek at both
Like teh terrorist haxx0rz!
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6741
I think now the US is gonna use lasers in space...
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
Commie Killer
+192|6412

cyborg_ninja-117 wrote:

I think now the US is gonna use lasers in space...
Wouldnt be a bad idea.
RAIMIUS
You with the face!
+244|6740|US
China has already been disrupting US satellites with ground based weapons.  It is a very serious thing for the US.  What if China could disable our GPS sats?  Every banch of our military uses them.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard